Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Enable exact phrase searches?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Davidwhitewolf
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Apr 2007
    • 705

    Enable exact phrase searches?

    ...using, say, "quotes" to isolate the word or phrase? Right now that doesn't seem to work. For example, if I try to search "Auto-Ordnance" I get hits on posts about full auto, heavy ordnance, and the like. Search "M1 Carbine" and I'll get posts talking about AR carbines.

    If there's already a way to search exact phrases of which I'm unaware, a) my apologies and b) I'd sure like to learn how!
    sigpic
    Honorary Board Member, the California Gun Rights Foundation
    Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
    Yes I'm an attorney. No, this post does not contain legal advice or opinion.
  • #2
    djbooya
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2008
    • 816

    Originally posted by Davidwhitewolf
    ...using, say, "quotes" to isolate the word or phrase? Right now that doesn't seem to work. For example, if I try to search "Auto-Ordnance" I get hits on posts about full auto, heavy ordnance, and the like. Search "M1 Carbine" and I'll get posts talking about AR carbines.

    If there's already a way to search exact phrases of which I'm unaware, a) my apologies and b) I'd sure like to learn how!
    You can try this:

    goto google.com and in the search window:

    +site:www.calguns.net "Auto-Ordnance"
    DJBooya
    "Try Not! Do or Do Not. There is no Try..."
    iTrader: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...rader-feedback

    Comment

    • #3
      pacrimguru
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2008
      • 3595

      Originally posted by Davidwhitewolf
      ...using, say, "quotes" to isolate the word or phrase? Right now that doesn't seem to work. For example, if I try to search "Auto-Ordnance" I get hits on posts about full auto, heavy ordnance, and the like. Search "M1 Carbine" and I'll get posts talking about AR carbines.

      If there's already a way to search exact phrases of which I'm unaware, a) my apologies and b) I'd sure like to learn how!

      yes, that would be great!

      Comment

      • #4
        Fate
        Calguns Addict
        • Apr 2006
        • 9545

        +1 on this. It's a pain to have to use the Google workaround, especially when every newbie gets told to
        sigpic "On bended knee is no way to be free." - Eddie Vedder, "Guaranteed"

        "Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." -Thomas Jefferson
        , in a letter to his nephew Peter Carr dated August 19, 1785

        Comment

        • #5
          sorensen440
          Calguns Addict
          • Mar 2007
          • 8612

          The search also doesnt seem to work on 2 and 3 letter searches
          like
          M1a
          xd
          ar
          "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

          Comment

          • #6
            djbooya
            Senior Member
            • Apr 2008
            • 816

            Originally posted by Fate
            +1 on this. It's a pain to have to use the Google workaround, especially when every newbie gets told to
            maybe the default search can be modified to default to google with the site string already inputted. that might be a quicker fix assuming there are no forums that are not indexed by the goog machine.
            DJBooya
            "Try Not! Do or Do Not. There is no Try..."
            iTrader: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...rader-feedback

            Comment

            • #7
              JTecalo
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2008
              • 3619

              +1
              I was thinking I was missing something, because I couldn't get "exact phrase" searches to work either.

              I'd even buy another ticket for Artherd's raffle if it would get it to work
              Last edited by JTecalo; 11-18-2008, 7:13 PM.

              Jim

              Comment

              • #8
                pacrimguru
                Veteran Member
                • Sep 2008
                • 3595

                Originally posted by sorensen440
                The search also doesnt seem to work on 2 and 3 letter searches
                like
                M1a
                xd
                ar
                Yes please! it drives me nuts not being able to look up phrases like usp, 91/30, psl, .45, etc...

                Comment

                • #9
                  psssniper
                  CGN Contributor
                  • Oct 2005
                  • 3060

                  I am retarded and cannot use the search with any effectiveness


                  end of story................
                  "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness; I love only that which they defend.
                  victus exaro somniculosus, somnus exaro ieiunium

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Coffee
                    Member
                    • Apr 2008
                    • 372

                    Originally posted by Davidwhitewolf
                    ...using, say, "quotes" to isolate the word or phrase? Right now that doesn't seem to work. For example, if I try to search "Auto-Ordnance" I get hits on posts about full auto, heavy ordnance, and the like. Search "M1 Carbine" and I'll get posts talking about AR carbines.

                    If there's already a way to search exact phrases of which I'm unaware, a) my apologies and b) I'd sure like to learn how!
                    Try single quotes, e.g. 'M1 Carbine'


                    Another point, in case they have the wild card search enabled:
                    Allow users to use a star (*) in searches to match partial words? (Eg: 'bu*' matches 'bug' and '*bu*' matches 'vBulletin').

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Davidwhitewolf
                      CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                      • Apr 2007
                      • 705

                      Originally posted by Coffee
                      Try single quotes, e.g. 'M1 Carbine'


                      D'oh! Could it be this simple? I was filled with HOPE...

                      ...until I tried it just now. Single quotes don't work either.

                      +1 on the asterisked wildcard search capability. That would also be great.
                      sigpic
                      Honorary Board Member, the California Gun Rights Foundation
                      Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
                      Yes I'm an attorney. No, this post does not contain legal advice or opinion.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      UA-8071174-1