Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

100 members and 36729 guest(s) online.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • hermosabeach
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Feb 2009
    • 19836

    100 members and 36729 guest(s) online.

    is it me.... or are the bots farming this site....
    Rule 1- ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

    Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

    Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

    Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
    (thanks to Jeff Cooper)
  • #2
    saudadeii
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Dec 2012
    • 3468

    Hmmm.. a bunch must be on vacation. I've seen over 80.000 guests at times. Only 18,644 as I post this.
    My Marketplace Feedback: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...k#post54003245

    Comment

    • #3
      Garv
      RSG Minion, Senior
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • Apr 2014
      • 9075

      111 and 76969

      time to require membership?
      Originally posted by Kestryll:
      It never fails to amuse me how people get outraged but fail to tell the whole story in their rants....

      Comment

      • #4
        Gravelman
        Member
        • May 2021
        • 168

        I always assumed the anti 2A people were bombing this place. They don’t like free speech, the 2A, organized opposition to their agenda, etc..

        Anything to keep the information available and the site stable and viable is a good thing

        Comment

        • #5
          Nego
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2026
          • 1253

          Originally posted by Gravelman
          I always assumed the anti 2A people were bombing this place. They don’t like free speech, the 2A, organized opposition to their agenda, etc..

          Anything to keep the information available and the site stable and viable is a good thing
          yeah I would agree with that sentiment

          Comment

          • #6
            foothillman
            Senior Member
            • Jan 2017
            • 1182

            Originally posted by Garv
            111 and 76969

            time to require membership?
            If CalGuns could hide the majority of site would that reduce the BOTS?
            Maybe have only 3-4 viewable as a guest.
            OT can not be viewed by guest.

            ITrader FeedBack https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...k-100-positive

            Comment

            • #7
              Kyle1886
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2009
              • 4279

              As we have mention in other threads, membership only or hiding certain forums locks out "lukers" that so many us were before we joined. I'm not going to join a forum unseen, and if info is hidden how will I know if there is anything worth joining for?

              Just a thought, I don't have an answer to the "bot" issue.

              Kyle
              Here's to Calguns.net, past, present, and the future 🍸🍸​🍷🍻 🍹
              iTrader = +3, %100, Location: N. San Diego Co
              https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...6#post54001874
              _________+__________

              Comment

              • #8
                foothillman
                Senior Member
                • Jan 2017
                • 1182

                Originally posted by Kyle1886
                As we have mention in other threads, membership only or hiding certain forums locks out "lukers" that so many us were before we joined. I'm not going to join a forum unseen, and if info is hidden how will I know if there is anything worth joining for?

                Just a thought, I don't have an answer to the "bot" issue.

                Kyle
                I get it but if the other site is having problems and they are running the newest/best/constantly updated................

                ITrader FeedBack https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...k-100-positive

                Comment

                • #9
                  Kyle1886
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2009
                  • 4279

                  ^^^
                  I still stand by my comment above.

                  Kyle
                  Here's to Calguns.net, past, present, and the future 🍸🍸​🍷🍻 🍹
                  iTrader = +3, %100, Location: N. San Diego Co
                  https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...6#post54001874
                  _________+__________

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    MyOdessa
                    Ban Islam
                    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • Mar 2011
                    • 2567

                    Most places, including forums, these days require some sort of capcha to prove that you are human and not a bot. This allows you to visit and read forums anonymously. It does not require membership, usually just a click to check mark on empty box. It does require you to allow cookies.

                    I don't see why Calguns.net doesn't implement such check to filter out bots.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      user120312
                      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                      CGN Contributor
                      • Mar 2012
                      • 8480

                      I was curious so asked the internet what it thought the most popular gun forum was and it told me AR15.com was and, never having visited there, I took a look. Here's the last page of their version of the 'help' thread CG has for distressed readers/members and I read page 83 no problem as a nobody.

                      https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/...14606/&page=83

                      I'll post a thumbnail of the capture, not identifying anyone overtly.

                      Screenshot 2026-08-30 at 7.04.16 PM.png

                      I took a look at Similarweb and it ranks AR15.com as number 5 in hunting and fishing and the view metrics support that, with monthly visits in the millions.

                      Long ago, when this forum was regularly erroring out, I suggested putting the entire forum behind a login screen so only registered members could read and post. Of course, modern bots can easily register and defeat most captcha and cloudflare type scenarios.

                      I did find it remarkable that the purveyor of open discourse and the sharing of information, Elon Musk, only this past week put X behind an account screen and threatened sites which aggregated X content with legal action. Someone else might've written the legal notices and pushed the buttons but the buck stops with him.

                      So, go with Elon or with AR-15 or try something different?

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        user120312
                        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                        CGN Contributor
                        • Mar 2012
                        • 8480

                        Noticed some sluggishness, forex this page taking between 8-10 seconds to do something after the link to it was clicked, and looked down to see our friendly horde of visitors has returned...

                        Screenshot 2026-09-17 at 9.30.47 PM.png

                        Uploading the above image wasn't too bad, not much off normal but the rest is slow.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        UA-8071174-1