Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Question for FFL's...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • CaliforniaAr45
    replied
    Originally posted by kemasa
    In most cases the person knows that they are prohibited (or should). If there is a mistake, then it should get corrected. Some might not realize that they are prohibited, but that is rare. Restraining orders can cause a person to be prohibited, as well as a medical marijuana card (although I don't think that is automatic in the system).

    If there is some question, the buyer can submit the personal certificate of eligibility form.

    http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/ag...ms/pfecapp.pdf

    Whew! Thanks for restoring confidence in online gun purchases.

    Leave a comment:


  • kemasa
    replied
    In most cases the person knows that they are prohibited (or should). If there is a mistake, then it should get corrected. Some might not realize that they are prohibited, but that is rare. Restraining orders can cause a person to be prohibited, as well as a medical marijuana card (although I don't think that is automatic in the system).

    If there is some question, the buyer can submit the personal certificate of eligibility form.

    Leave a comment:


  • CaliforniaAr45
    replied
    Originally posted by Librarian
    Because DROS stands for Dealer's Record Of Sale.
    I understand that but couldn't, in this case, the Internet seller perform the DROS since he was the actual seller, not the transfer agent. No, that won't work either because I think you have to show ID. SMH There has got to be a way of eliminating the risk of loosing the cost of the weapon.

    Can the Handgun Safety Certificate serve as a pre-DROS?

    Shouldn't Internet purchases have a Dealers Record Of Intent To Sell

    Is there only a delay in a refund of the weapon's purchase price or do many buyers actually loose all their money?
    Small claims? Reseller ratings? Yelp?

    Leave a comment:


  • Librarian
    replied
    Originally posted by CaliforniaAr45
    From http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs#15

    "My firearm purchase was denied by the DOJ and the dealer won't tell me why. How do I find out the reason for the denial?
    If your DROS application is denied, you will receive a letter from the DOJ Bureau of Firearms within two weeks. The letter will explain the reason and instructions on how to get a copy of the record that resulted in the denial of your application. There will also be instructions on how to dispute and correct information in your record you believe is wrong

    To eliminate this potential problem I wonder why the DROS isn't submitted before the purchase?
    Because DROS stands for Dealer's Record Of Sale.

    Leave a comment:


  • CaliforniaAr45
    replied
    Loosing money due to purchase before DROS results?

    From http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs#15

    "My firearm purchase was denied by the DOJ and the dealer won't tell me why. How do I find out the reason for the denial?
    If your DROS application is denied, you will receive a letter from the DOJ Bureau of Firearms within two weeks. The letter will explain the reason and instructions on how to get a copy of the record that resulted in the denial of your application. There will also be instructions on how to dispute and correct information in your record you believe is wrong

    To eliminate this potential problem I wonder why the DROS isn't submitted before the purchase?
    Last edited by CaliforniaAr45; 12-20-2014, 6:00 PM. Reason: Added the last sentence

    Leave a comment:


  • kemasa
    replied
    The sales tax should be refunded.

    Leave a comment:


  • NineSixteen
    replied
    Originally posted by lorax3
    Given the date (late December) and if the gun will not qualify as a roster exempt transfer next year, I would see if the dealer will allow you to sell it on Calguns and let the new person take over.

    It is possible it was a case of mistaken identity, but the DOJ can take a while to get back to you and if you are not able to DROS the gun in 2015, I would try to sell it and cut your loses now.

    Maybe have the new person sign a document that says they did not know you before, etc so the FFL has some evidence it was not a straw purchase. Or only sell to someone in a different part of the state so it has to be shipped (more evidence of not a straw purchase)

    Again, you will need to speak with your FFL. Maybe in person is better.

    I would start a two pronged attack. Try to get it resolved with the DOJ, but also assume it will not be resolved by Jan 1, so have a plan B in place.
    Thank you, I am realizing now there is no way to correct the issue before the 1st so am going to do my best to find someone to either buy it out from the dealer or contact the place I bought it from, explain the situation and try to get it returned. In that case I will only be loosing the tax, shipping, transfer, and dros fee which is much more preferable to the whole price.

    Leave a comment:


  • lorax3
    replied
    Given the date (late December) and if the gun will not qualify as a roster exempt transfer next year, I would see if the dealer will allow you to sell it on Calguns and let the new person take over.

    It is possible it was a case of mistaken identity, but the DOJ can take a while to get back to you and if you are not able to DROS the gun in 2015, I would try to sell it and cut your loses now.

    Maybe have the new person sign a document that says they did not know you before, etc so the FFL has some evidence it was not a straw purchase. Or only sell to someone in a different part of the state so it has to be shipped (more evidence of not a straw purchase)

    Again, you will need to speak with your FFL. Maybe in person is better.

    I would start a two pronged attack. Try to get it resolved with the DOJ, but also assume it will not be resolved by Jan 1, so have a plan B in place.
    Last edited by lorax3; 12-19-2014, 4:18 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Baboosh
    replied
    Originally posted by Daydrmr999
    Not an ffl but what is a "ca legal sse pistol"? Is it on the roster or is it SSE (single shot exempt)?

    Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk
    My assumption it was a gun shipped in SSE configuration

    Leave a comment:


  • stitchnicklas
    replied
    is there a chance the FFL did not input dros properly for SSE???

    Leave a comment:


  • Daydrmr999
    replied
    Originally posted by NineSixteen




    The gun was a CA legal SSE pistol.
    Not an ffl but what is a "ca legal sse pistol"? Is it on the roster or is it SSE (single shot exempt)?

    Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

    Leave a comment:


  • kemasa
    replied
    There is a number which you can try to call the CA DOJ to find out the reason. Depending on what the reason is, that determines the next step.

    You would not need a power of attorney for this firearm since it was not transferred. You need to discuss with the FFL what you want to do since they can charge storage/shipping.

    Leave a comment:


  • NineSixteen
    replied
    Originally posted by Baboosh
    The gun is not in your name until the FFL hits the DELIVER button on the DES system after 10 days.

    Right now the gun is in limbo, you can't DROS it and your FFL now have to store it. Chances are you'll be out the cost of the gun, DROS, transfer and SSE fee.
    I really hope I'm not out, that was a lot of money.


    Originally posted by Condorguns
    You need to contact the online shop you bought the gun from and tell them you were denied. Hopefully they will agree to take the gun back. You will get dinged with a restocking fee and shipping fees. If they agree they can send a call tag to the FFL who is holding the gun right now.
    I checked and it says no returns unless defective.


    Originally posted by Tyke8319
    1. You need to be more specific as to what type of "gun" we're talking about.

    2. I'm not clear:
    Who denied you? Your FFL: can't deny you unless either a completed DROS was submitted and DOJ denied you...or...unless the gun was not approved for CA!!

    You have the right to contact DOJ to inquire as to a denial (if in fact they denied you) and your FFL should have supplied you with DOJ contact information upon your request. Obviously, your FFL can't answer questions which need to be posed to DOJ.
    The gun was a CA legal SSE pistol. The DOJ denied it but I have a perfect record, valid drivers license, and no reason at all to be denied. I believe it was a mistaken identity or some other error on their (the DOJ) end. What I'm worried about is by the time I get through the appeal process and get approved, the FFL wont keep my gun for that long. I don't know if they can legally sell it or something in which case I would loose everything.

    Leave a comment:


  • Tyke8319
    replied
    1. You need to be more specific as to what type of "gun" we're talking about.

    2. I'm not clear:
    Who denied you? Your FFL: can't deny you unless either a completed DROS was submitted and DOJ denied you...or...unless the gun was not approved for CA!!

    You have the right to contact DOJ to inquire as to a denial (if in fact they denied you) and your FFL should have supplied you with DOJ contact information upon your request. Obviously, your FFL can't answer questions which need to be posed to DOJ.

    Leave a comment:


  • Condorguns
    replied
    You need to contact the online shop you bought the gun from and tell them you were denied. Hopefully they will agree to take the gun back. You will get dinged with a restocking fee and shipping fees. If they agree they can send a call tag to the FFL who is holding the gun right now.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
UA-8071174-1