Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Analyzing wind drift with trigonometry explained.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ahhnother8
    replied
    Originally posted by kcstott
    if you want respect don't tell me what you can do SHOW ME.
    I have a little bit of experience in shooting in the wind and would be glad to help anyone who REALLY wants to learn how. What do you have in mind?

    Leave a comment:


  • BillyGoatCrawler
    replied
    Originally posted by Ahhnother8
    Wait!! I thought SCIENCE is applied to things that can be quantified, calculated, or measured. ART is more nebulous. Things that cannot be quantified, calculated, or measured and is in the eye of the beholder (windreader). I disagree that wind can be broken down to the minutest increment and measured and factored into a firing solution. A number of people have shown up at matches over the years with their wizzbang wind reader thingys, charts, graphs, and .30+ caliber Superloudenboomeners and still get their @$$ whipped by those who can actually read the wind.

    We shoot with quite a few of the top long range shooters in the nation and it is rarely made to look easy. It always comes back to: the only way to learn it is to do it. We have hosted two advanced long range shooting clinics in the last two years. I post invites on this and other forums to come out and shoot, but most would rather not leave the safety of the keyboard.

    A couple of people posting in the long range forum have been out to shoot and I would like to hear their interpretation of wind reading.
    Maybe we can get a thread about the art of piss drift during pissing competitions?
    OP never spoke of how to read the wind. He posted on its effects.

    Leave a comment:


  • diver160651
    replied
    Maybe a separate thread on mirage angles, boils, dialing back, vegetation, dust, terrain features, wind shadows, low position mirage VRS elevated, gravity distance.... The stuff really doesn't end. But at the end of the day, wasn't the op trying to give a mathematical formula for one only one read angle?

    I don't think it was meant (I could be wrong) on how to read the wind.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

    Leave a comment:


  • Sir Toast
    replied
    Originally posted by kcstott
    the thing is I'm a 42 year old Toolmaker that hit trade school right out of High school and you should see the look on people face when you tell them that a 10 mph wind @ 45˚ is not half value it's .7 or .707% if you want to be that precise

    if you want to see a grown man cock his head and wrinkle his lip tell him that.

    just take that wind angle and look up the Sin x your wind speed and done.
    MMMmmmmm - Huuuuhhhhh. Yep

    Leave a comment:


  • kcstott
    replied
    Originally posted by Ahhnother8
    Wait!! I thought SCIENCE is applied to things that can be quantified, calculated, or measured. ART is more nebulous. Things that cannot be quantified, calculated, or measured and is in the eye of the beholder (windreader). I disagree that wind can be broken down to the minutest increment and measured and factored into a firing solution. A number of people have shown up at matches over the years with their wizzbang wind reader thingys, charts, graphs, and .30+ caliber Superloudenboomeners and still get their @$$ whipped by those who can actually read the wind.

    We shoot with quite a few of the top long range shooters in the nation and it is rarely made to look easy. It always comes back to: the only way to learn it is to do it. We have hosted two advanced long range shooting clinics in the last two years. I post invites on this and other forums to come out and shoot, but most would rather not leave the safety of the keyboard.

    A couple of people posting in the long range forum have been out to shoot and I would like to hear their interpretation of wind reading.
    Typo, sorry, corrected now

    As for your pedigree I really don't care. I don't care who you are, what you say you can do, or who your friends are. it means nothing on a web board. if you want respect don't tell me what you can do SHOW ME.

    I've shot with some very talented people and trust me standing in their shadow, yeah they make it look easy. I said look easy. not that it was easy just that at a certain level of skill your confidence grows to the point that you look at a problem unflustered. because you've already done it.

    As per the scientific side of this if you had a gizmo that had an anemometer array that feed back info to a lap top and gave real time windage updates yeah it can be plotted, recorded, and the best solution applied to the dope.
    and what I mean by array is a row of them laid out on the firing line every 25 meters sending data back for a constantly changing wind call.
    then you just need to dial in your wind and try to pull the trigger when conditions match what you dialed in. then it's all about the timing of the shot. You wind call can be precise but if you do not match the conditions to the moment you pull the trigger it's all for not.
    Last edited by kcstott; 01-06-2015, 9:01 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Fjold
    replied
    A very useful post for shooters to learn the basics of wind deflection.

    Now you just have to explain how to dope the wind when you look down the 1,000 yard range and the range flags are pointing in four different directions.

    Leave a comment:


  • BillyGoatCrawler
    replied
    Originally posted by Ahhnother8
    Wait!! I thought SCIENCE is applied to things that can be quantified, calculated, or measured. ART is more nebulous. Things that cannot be quantified, calculated, or measured and is in the eye of the beholder (windreader). I disagree that wind can be broken down to the minutest increment and measured and factored into a firing solution. A number of people have shown up at matches over the years with their wizzbang wind reader thingys, charts, graphs, and .30+ caliber Superloudenboomeners and still get their @$$ whipped by those who can actually read the wind.

    We shoot with quite a few of the top long range shooters in the nation and it is rarely made to look easy. It always comes back to: the only way to learn it is to do it. We have hosted two advanced long range shooting clinics in the last two years. I post invites on this and other forums to come out and shoot, but most would rather not leave the safety of the keyboard.

    A couple of people posting in the long range forum have been out to shoot and I would like to hear their interpretation of wind reading.
    Maybe there is a reason people don't want to shoot with you? Personally, I'd rather shoot in the national forest among friends than join the pissing contest that keeps popping up on these threads. If you want to post about your matches, make a thread. If you want to make a post about the art of wind reading, make a thread. If you want to discuss the math and trigonometry behind wind values at different angles then you're in the right place.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ahhnother8
    replied
    Originally posted by kcstott
    Incorrect.

    An Art is doing something that can be Quantified, calculated, or measured. Wind speed even broken down to the minutest increment can be measured and factored in to the firing solution.

    Now there are people out there that make it look easy and that to me is an art.
    Wait!! I thought SCIENCE is applied to things that can be quantified, calculated, or measured. ART is more nebulous. Things that cannot be quantified, calculated, or measured and is in the eye of the beholder (windreader). I disagree that wind can be broken down to the minutest increment and measured and factored into a firing solution. A number of people have shown up at matches over the years with their wizzbang wind reader thingys, charts, graphs, and .30+ caliber Superloudenboomeners and still get their @$$ whipped by those who can actually read the wind.

    We shoot with quite a few of the top long range shooters in the nation and it is rarely made to look easy. It always comes back to: the only way to learn it is to do it. We have hosted two advanced long range shooting clinics in the last two years. I post invites on this and other forums to come out and shoot, but most would rather not leave the safety of the keyboard.

    A couple of people posting in the long range forum have been out to shoot and I would like to hear their interpretation of wind reading.

    Leave a comment:


  • kcstott
    replied
    Originally posted by Ahhnother8
    I just came from Sac Valley off the 1,000 yard range. Wind reading is an art, not a science. The ONLY way to learn it is to do it over and over. Wind velocities and angles are not constant. Over each 100 yard segment of a 1,000 yard range, the wind can be doing something different. That is at least 10 different variations that affect the flight of the bullet. Sometimes the wind at one end of a range is blowing left to right and at the other end of the range it is just the opposite. Or the true wind is blowing in one direction and the apparent mirage is going the opposite way. The ONLY way to begin to learn about it is to shoot in it!!!!!!!!
    Incorrect.

    An Art is doing something that can't be Quantified, calculated, or measured. Wind speed even broken down to the minutest increment can be measured and factored in to the firing solution.

    Now there are people out there that make it look easy and that to me is an art.
    Last edited by kcstott; 01-06-2015, 8:47 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • diver160651
    replied
    Analyzing wind drift with trigonometry explained.

    Ops I miss read the title.. It wasn't about reading the wind, but the math behind the drift values. Good OP regardless
    Last edited by diver160651; 01-06-2015, 5:12 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • BillyGoatCrawler
    replied
    Analyzing wind drift with trigonometry explained.

    Originally posted by Ahhnother8
    I just came from Sac Valley off the 1,000 yard range. Wind reading is an art, not a science. The ONLY way to learn it is to do it over and over. Wind velocities and angles are not constant. Over each 100 yard segment of a 1,000 yard range, the wind can be doing something different. That is at least 10 different variations that affect the flight of the bullet. Sometimes the wind at one end of a range is blowing left to right and at the other end of the range it is just the opposite. Or the true wind is blowing in one direction and the apparent mirage is going the opposite way. The ONLY way to begin to learn about it is to shoot in it!!!!!!!!

    While I mostly agree. I am trying to be productive and offer insight into the workings of LR shooting. Simply saying its an art and cannot be explained to any degree is not helpful. Many approach the topic with the clock system and judge full value and half value. Obviously that's even worse off.
    Last edited by BillyGoatCrawler; 01-06-2015, 3:45 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ahhnother8
    replied
    I just came from Sac Valley off the 1,000 yard range. Wind reading is an art, not a science. The ONLY way to learn it is to do it over and over. Wind velocities and angles are not constant. Over each 100 yard segment of a 1,000 yard range, the wind can be doing something different. That is at least 10 different variations that affect the flight of the bullet. Sometimes the wind at one end of a range is blowing left to right and at the other end of the range it is just the opposite. Or the true wind is blowing in one direction and the apparent mirage is going the opposite way. The ONLY way to begin to learn about it is to shoot in it!!!!!!!!

    Leave a comment:


  • kcstott
    replied
    Standish I think you did a great job. My mind works a little different then most, so yeah a visual aid is helpful, Me I've been doing trig for 25 years I can do the most common stuff in my head. But I've also used trig everyday on the job so it comes pretty easy for me.

    Now if we got into Calculous Screw that. I'm done
    Last edited by kcstott; 01-15-2016, 4:45 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • BillyGoatCrawler
    replied
    Originally posted by kcstott
    the thing is I'm a 42 year old Toolmaker that hit trade school right out of High school and you should see the look on people face when you tell them that a 10 mph wind @ 45˚ is not half value it's .7 or .707% if you want to be that precise

    if you want to see a grown man cock his head and wrinkle his lip tell him that.

    just take that wind angle and look up the Sin x your wind speed and done.
    I know exactly what you mean. That is why I wanted to explain that this is actually dealing with vector analysis. It helps to explain why exactly we are getting approximately 70.7% of the perceived value of wind at a 45˚ angle. The math behind sin and cos, their opposite relations, and their parent graphs is very interesting. But the application is where the rubber meets the road.

    As you said, just taking (windspeed)(sin(angle)) and done is easy if you're in a constant wind, I wanted to break it down so people could see what is happening with the whole representation.

    Plus, if one is truly interested in shooting long range consistantly, then they are really just interested in physics. And this is a basic principle of physics. That may clear up some of the cos errors I see. I see lots of people using cos in place of where sin should be used. They're opposite functions.

    In a right triangle, the sin of an angle is equal to the cos of it's complimentary angle.
    sin30=cos60
    sin45=cos45
    sin60=cos30


    Plus, the Long Range sub forum is lacking stickies. Maybe this one can be stickied to help answer common questions.
    Last edited by BillyGoatCrawler; 01-06-2015, 8:51 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • kcstott
    replied
    the thing is I'm a 42 year old Toolmaker that hit trade school right out of High school and you should see the look on people face when you tell them that a 10 mph wind @ 45˚ is not half value it's .7 or .707% if you want to be that precise

    if you want to see a grown man cock his head and wrinkle his lip tell him that.

    just take that wind angle and look up the Sin x your wind speed and done.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
UA-8071174-1