Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Analyzing wind drift with trigonometry explained.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • eric n
    replied
    Originally posted by 5gnut
    I must have a knack for picking the thread with all the pissing matches. I'm just trying to learn some things about long distance shooting, as I am a novice when it comes to shooting outside of 400 yds. Thanks to everyone that left useful info.
    Just go out and do it.
    Walk them in and pay attention to what the wind is doing to the group then write it down. Go in the afternoons when the wind is up.
    The wind is pushing you at 400 as well.

    Leave a comment:


  • diver160651
    replied
    Originally posted by 5gnut
    I must have a knack for picking the thread with all the pissing matches. I'm just trying to learn some things about long distance shooting, as I am a novice when it comes to shooting outside of 400 yds. Thanks to everyone that left useful info.

    Look up snipers hide, accurate shooter and long range hunter. The Hide was a bit better before it was ported to scout, but there are a few real deal guys (snipers, trainers etc) there. Of course, just like here there are also keyboard experts.

    Leave a comment:


  • 5gnut
    replied
    I must have a knack for picking the thread with all the pissing matches. I'm just trying to learn some things about long distance shooting, as I am a novice when it comes to shooting outside of 400 yds. Thanks to everyone that left useful info.

    Leave a comment:


  • BillyGoatCrawler
    replied
    Let me say it again... This is about how wind effects projectiles. This is not how to read the wind.

    I'll probably have to go ahead and say that again in a few more posts.
    Last edited by BillyGoatCrawler; 01-25-2015, 10:02 AM. Reason: grammar

    Leave a comment:


  • bsumoba
    replied
    if you are simply talking math, then yes, this is helpful. but....its overly simplified and if a novice shooter uses this, it will, IMO, not help him read wind.

    ahhhnother8 has it right, its an art, not a science. i cannot begin to explain how he shoots so consistent (i've been in a few local matches where he was shooting) other than he is a master of his craft, knows his equipment, and most of all, knows how to read the wind. there is no time to calculate anything on paper. even if you did, by the time you finished calculating it, the conditions changed.

    i shoot with a high magnification optic, heavy 20+lb gun, and front rest and he shoots a palma rifle with iron sights, slung up and he still shoots a higher point score

    there are a few people i would listen to, and he is one of the few guys that when he talks/writes, i listen. not trying to defend him...he doesn't need it....his scores and record says it all.
    Last edited by bsumoba; 01-23-2015, 11:08 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • BillyGoatCrawler
    replied
    So much ego in this thread. The point was missed completely. I regret ever posting.

    Leave a comment:


  • kcstott
    replied
    Originally posted by Ahhnother8
    Lane
    2014 CA Long-Range State Champion



    Leave a comment:


  • Ahhnother8
    replied
    Originally posted by milotrain
    If this is a real offer then where do I show up? Every time I'm at Coalinga I estimate too much wind at 300 and too little at 600, and then mirage shifts and I have no idea how to recalculate. I do a lot of hope, walk it in and surf it as long as I can. NOT a good way to shoot at Coalinga.
    Of course the offer is real, but in order not to derail a thread on theoretical wind drift, I will PM you information on when/where to get help with real world wind drift, when shooting long-range. Shooting in Coalinga is a challenge and a hoot!! If you can be successful there and/or Sac Valley, you can be successful at most any range in the world.

    Lane
    2014 CA Long-Range State Champion

    Leave a comment:


  • milotrain
    replied
    I know that's not how Heisenberg's uncertainty principle works fundamentally. The macroscopic case of that principle is that you cannot measure something without influencing it (or at least that's what I was taught, ). This is a perfect example of that even if it's not correct

    Leave a comment:


  • JMP
    replied
    Originally posted by milotrain
    Ultimately fluid dynamics is a thing we can only sort of model, and as an anemometer array along the flighpath would be a nearly perfect macro example of heisenberg's uncertainty principle I doubt we could ever really measure the wind.
    No, that isn't how Heisenberg works. It would, however, be a real life example of chaotic systems.

    Leave a comment:


  • milotrain
    replied
    Originally posted by Ahhnother8
    I have a little bit of experience in shooting in the wind and would be glad to help anyone who REALLY wants to learn how. What do you have in mind?
    If this is a real offer then where do I show up? Every time I'm at Coalinga I estimate too much wind at 300 and too little at 600, and then mirage shifts and I have no idea how to recalculate. I do a lot of hope, walk it in and surf it as long as I can. NOT a good way to shoot at Coalinga.

    Johnny called me after shooting with highpower790 up there, and he was in an excited panic. Total paraphrasing "I was scoring for him, and he just wasn't shooting. Everyone else was shooting 8s and wide 9s and he was just sitting there. Then he looked behind us then he started shooting and he nailed an x! I waited for him to be on the gun before I looked behind me and all that was back there was the smoke stack and the trees. And then I realized it was the ****ing smokestack and the trees!!! Sneaky sneaky!"

    I have so much to learn.

    Leave a comment:


  • milotrain
    replied
    We were up at Ojai, playing with a little "mini clinic" where we all sat around calling wind and a hard holder put on the dope and took the shot. It was interesting to see how different people read wind and it was telling to notice how much the geography of a range effects the wind.

    Ultimately fluid dynamics is a thing we can only sort of model, and as an anemometer array along the flighpath would be a nearly perfect macro example of heisenberg's uncertainty principle I doubt we could ever really measure the wind. Doesn't mean we can't get close though.

    That closeness is the art. It's the soccer player's bicycle kick at half field into the top corner of the goal. Yes there is science behind it, or at least science can explain it, but the skill has transcended conscious thought and become a gut feeling. The internalizing of a practice, to the end that it becomes just another thing you do is absolutely ART. But I, like others don't get on the range nearly enough to do this, so while I'm at work and wish I could be shooting I'll read whatever I can in hopes that I can maximize my actual trigger time. And then I will go to Coalinga for regionals, and I too will get beaten by a woman.

    Leave a comment:


  • highpower790
    replied
    Originally posted by kcstott
    pretty much.... right??
    Yeah...?Ahhnother8 always has a chance,but was beat by a woman yesterday.

    Leave a comment:


  • kcstott
    replied
    Originally posted by highpower790
    pretty much.... right??

    Leave a comment:


  • highpower790
    replied

    Leave a comment:

Working...
UA-8071174-1