Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

4K Worth It?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • rero360
    replied
    True, but once I get 4K player the upscale unit will get moved to the other tv that isn't a 4K unit

    Leave a comment:


  • sholling
    replied
    Originally posted by rero360
    I'm looking at getting the 50" Samsung SUHD tv, JS7000, pair it it with one of the 4K up scaling blu ray player until the 4K players become more common place and cheaper. Eventually going to replace the current 5.1 surround sound system with one of the Dolby Atmos 7.1 systems. The current speakers are a Logitech system that I bought back in 2004 IIRC.
    The TV probably has better upscaling than the BD player.

    Leave a comment:


  • rero360
    replied
    I'm looking at getting the 50" Samsung SUHD tv, JS7000, pair it it with one of the 4K up scaling blu ray player until the 4K players become more common place and cheaper. Eventually going to replace the current 5.1 surround sound system with one of the Dolby Atmos 7.1 systems. The current speakers are a Logitech system that I bought back in 2004 IIRC.

    Leave a comment:


  • chuckdc
    replied
    It depends on how good of a 4K she is...LOL

    Leave a comment:


  • billvau
    replied
    Glad you're happy with your new set!

    Originally posted by Phil3

    At 10-1/2 feet, there IS a difference between Person of Interest and The Blacklist. The latter looks better. Not by a lot, but it was evident to me. I walked to within 4 feet of the screen. At that distance, the superiority over 1080p is much more apparent.

    The tables shown here are too conservative in my opinion. With a 65" set, some people might have a hard time telling the difference between 4k and 1080p. I really didn't, even if the difference was not dramatic. Your eyes may disagree.

    Phil
    Glad you're happy with your new set! Welcome to the 4K world. People don't realize that there are other technologies in the TV that are moving forward dramatically too. Enjoy!

    Leave a comment:


  • phaseshift
    replied
    There is simply not enough content to move over to 4k TVs.

    Leave a comment:


  • Phil3
    replied
    I am the OP, and bought a Samsung 65" 4k set, model KS8000. I watched the show "Person of Interest" on Netflix streaming. I am fairly certain this is hi-definition or 1080p. After upgrading my Netflix plan to 4k, I was able to watch "The Blacklist". This is available in 4k from Netflix, and it said so when I pulled it up on the Netflix streaming list.

    At 10-1/2 feet, there IS a difference between Person of Interest and The Blacklist. The latter looks better. Not by a lot, but it was evident to me. I walked to within 4 feet of the screen. At that distance, the superiority over 1080p is much more apparent.

    The tables shown here are too conservative in my opinion. With a 65" set, some people might have a hard time telling the difference between 4k and 1080p. I really didn't, even if the difference was not dramatic. Your eyes may disagree.

    Phil

    Leave a comment:


  • rkt88edmo
    replied
    Originally posted by sholling
    There isn't much HDR content yet, but if I were buying a TV I would buy one with HDR because I invest for the long haul (my 52" once top of the line 1080P TV is 9 years old and still looks pretty good compared to today's 1080P sets because I bought top quality). Of course, I'm as much a fanatic for audio and video accuracy as I am for owning accurate target rifles and dead reliable SD arms. Your tastes and priorities may be completely different than mine and it's your money.
    mmmmm, I dunno - when it comes to electronics and tech, the long haul and future proofing concepts become super expensive. I've adopted a go cheap/late and upgrade more frequently stance. That being said, until I got the 4k TV, I was still rocking a 36" non-wide CRT from 2002 that was only 1080i.

    Leave a comment:


  • sholling
    replied
    Originally posted by rkt88edmo
    But I've had that since 2000 as well, it just didn't have her range. If I'm going to dim it down anyways do I need hdr?
    There isn't much HDR content yet, but if I were buying a TV I would buy one with HDR because I invest for the long haul (my 52" once top of the line 1080P TV is 9 years old and still looks pretty good compared to today's 1080P sets because I bought top quality). Of course, I'm as much a fanatic for audio and video accuracy as I am for owning accurate target rifles and dead reliable SD arms. Your tastes and priorities may be completely different than mine and it's your money.
    Last edited by sholling; 05-05-2016, 7:30 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • rkt88edmo
    replied
    Originally posted by sholling
    What you have seen in the stores and in demos is "vivid mode" or "demo mode", which is intended to show off colors. Once you get it home you can switch to movie mode or custom mode and have it calibrated.
    But I've had that since 2000 as well, it just didn't have her range. If I'm going to dim it down anyways do I need hdr?

    Leave a comment:


  • sholling
    replied
    Originally posted by AceGirlsHusband
    We have a small house. Acegirl and I are planning to run a 4K of 55" at about 6-7 feet of viewing distance in our little living room. We're feeding it Comcast X1 and I think it'll be worth it. I do know that my 5K Apple monitor makes a whopping difference in photo work when I'm using Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop.
    I agree. I have a 12.5" laptop with 4K video and while the resolution is more than I need with a 12.5" display, the display's 100% perfect Adobe RGB score makes for an amazing image.

    For those that were not aware, almost all LED TVs have always had multiple color saturation/brightness presets. It's just expected that once you get it home that you'll switch from showroom demo mode to a less POP mode, or calibrate the TV, or even have it calibrated by a pro. The are plenty of DIY resources including Disney's World Of Wonder. A theoretically perfectly calibrated TV is almost too bland.

    Leave a comment:


  • sholling
    replied
    What you have seen in the stores and in demos is "vivid mode" or "demo mode", which is intended to show off colors. Once you get it home you can switch to movie mode or custom mode and have it calibrated.

    Leave a comment:


  • AceGirlsHusband
    replied
    We have a small house. Acegirl and I are planning to run a 4K of 55" at about 6-7 feet of viewing distance in our little living room. We're feeding it Comcast X1 and I think it'll be worth it. I do know that my 5K Apple monitor makes a whopping difference in photo work when I'm using Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop.

    Leave a comment:


  • joefrank64k
    replied


    I agree...some scenes look comically over-saturated with color. Hopefully it's just a learning curve for the content producers, but right now I'm good with just regular 4K.

    Leave a comment:


  • rkt88edmo
    replied

    Leave a comment:

Working...
UA-8071174-1