Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Linux instead of Windows 10?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • soul
    replied
    It is just whining, any OS configured to use cloud services will have network activity. Its syncing files, authenticating, searching, etc. Even simple action of logging connects to cloud, just because user has configured to use cloud account to help sync across machines.

    It may be crap for some, but 50 million users in two weeks tells a different story

    Leave a comment:


  • speedrrracer
    replied
    Originally posted by Peter.Steele
    There really aren't a whole lot of problems with Windows 10. Seriously. There's a lot of whining about privacy, but ... anyone who thinks they had privacy to begin with is deluding themselves.
    Typical apologist response.

    And whining about privacy? I get that user expectations of Windows are low, but shouldn't Windows actually, y'know, function? You tell it to do X and it actually does X?

    Amazing, but all these years later, they still can't make an OS worth a crap

    Leave a comment:


  • WASR10
    replied
    My last Windows was Vista. I've been using Ubuntu since and love it. Of course it has forced me to become much more software savvy, but that has been a great benefit to me. I still keep an old machine around running Windows for certain projects or tasks, but I may soon load that with mint or other.

    Leave a comment:


  • stix213
    replied
    I've found Windows 10 to be a significant improvement over Windows 8.1. Its Windows for people who stopped upgrading at version 7 and what 8 should have been.

    I've run Linux off and on as a personal OS or on my work laptop for over a decade. The problem is games run best on Windows and I have some specific development tools for personal projects that don't yet have Linux versions.

    Leave a comment:


  • Abu Riyah
    replied
    I've been running Windows 10 on two computers for about 6 months. One was originally 7 and the other was 8.1. Both upgraded to one of the Tech Previews and then progressively through several builds and now the final release version. I had just a couple of cosmetic issues which were resolved before the final release and both run perfectly now.

    My advice is if you are a longtime Windows user, just stick with Windows and be happy. I also use Linux and Mac OS X daily, with the Mac being my primary platform for personal use. That being said, I think Windows 7 and Windows 10 are both great OSes and even more so for users of previous versions of Windows.

    Linux is also great with a ton of free, open-source software out there for almost any imaginable need. If Windows and Mac disappeared tomorrow, I'd be 100% happy with using Linux exclusively. There is however a bit of a learning curve for switchers, both with the OS itself and with applications. It's nothing too difficult, but there are differences that take a bit of time to adjust to.

    Leave a comment:


  • Cowboy T
    replied
    Originally posted by Peter.Steele
    There really aren't a whole lot of problems with Windows 10. Seriously. There's a lot of whining about privacy, but ... anyone who thinks they had privacy to begin with is deluding themselves.
    Not if you don't work for it, no. But things like TOR, whole-disk encryption (e. g. LUKS, ridiculously easy to set up in CentOS/RHEL/Fedora), use of Free/Open Source software, and use of proxies, among some other things, help considerably, especially when these things are used together.

    "The price of liberty is eternal vigilance." And we all have that choice to exercise it or not.

    Leave a comment:


  • Cowboy T
    replied
    Originally posted by soul
    We don't need to agree, fact is many will move to Windows 10 from Windows 7 than to Mint. Just the reality.

    The statcounter is already reporting 3.8% for Windows 10, while Linux is 1.53% (2 weeks since Windows 10 released)

    Win7 Win8.1 WinXP OS X Win8 WinVista Linux Win10
    53.23 15.11 9.9 8.1 3.52 1.93 1.53 3.8
    A lot of that's going to be due to both preloads from Tier 1 manufacturers, and "pushed" upgrades from Microsoft like we've seen in other threads in this forum. So, I actually believe those stats.

    Originally posted by soul
    All said, we tend to use what works best for us or as necessary for work.
    Originally posted by Peter.Steele
    the software that I use to make the medium bucks is Windows only
    True. At work is one thing. In my office, I have two boxes, one running CentOS 7, the other running Windows 7. The Windows 7 box is specifically to run the ArcSight ESM Console app, which is (sadly) Windows-only. My other tasks, I do on the CentOS box.

    At home, that's another thing entirely. I don't run ArcSight ESM at home. :-)
    Last edited by Cowboy T; 08-13-2015, 8:55 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • wpage
    replied
    Its a matter of going mainstream or the path less taken.

    Leave a comment:


  • the86d
    replied
    Linux has had a "powershell" since it came out...
    Win7 32 bit ran better in a VM, I am assuming because Windows drivers for real hardware are all bloated?

    With an SSD and enough RAM Windows 7+ works well and is moderatly speedy, but Elementary Luna is better in my opinion, but after one gets used to the FM in a Linux GUI it isn't that hard a switch. You could always run Windows in a VM.

    You might have 2x-3x the machine, IF you stay away from Macs, for even less coin.

    Leave a comment:


  • pterrell
    replied
    I made the transition to Windows 10 and I really have no complaints so far. Sure, you need to learn where some things are all over again, but you do that each time you get new software on your phone these days anyway.

    As far as Linux distros, I've always been an Ubuntu fan. The only thing that's kept me away from it is the lack of game support. That's been changing in a big way thanks to the guys working on WINE and Valve doing its own Linux distro to run on the Steam Machines.

    Leave a comment:


  • yellowsulphur
    replied
    Linux is great if you can solve your problems through open source software and it's community. The desktop environment has come a long way in both ease of use and refinement in the past 10 years. My exposure to Linux nowadays is mostly through VMware virtual machines though.

    Linux is really neat if you want to control hardware with a language like Python using system on chip (SoC)

    Leave a comment:


  • soul
    replied
    We don't need to agree, fact is many will move to Windows 10 from Windows 7 than to Mint. Just the reality.

    The statcounter is already reporting 3.8% for Windows 10, while Linux is 1.53% (2 weeks since Windows 10 released)

    Win7 Win8.1 WinXP OS X Win8 WinVista Linux Win10
    53.23 15.11 9.9 8.1 3.52 1.93 1.53 3.8


    All said, we tend to use what works best for us or as necessary for work.
    Last edited by soul; 08-12-2015, 5:04 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Whiterabbit
    replied
    Originally posted by soul
    Not sure which site is reporting myriad issues, probably the anti-Microsoft ones. The OS is fundamentally best combination of Windows 7 and 8.1, and configurable to work exactly like Windows 7 if someone so desires.

    I have upgraded over 10 machines, the oldest one from 2007 including a custom gaming rig. It is probably the best Windows version coming out of Redmond after a long time.

    If someone is comfortable with Windows, there is no need to move to Linux as the jump is more difficult than from moving from XP/7/8 to 10.
    disagree. The jump from 7 to Mint is far less disruptive than from 7 to 8.1. I won't give 10 a chance due to that fact.

    Leave a comment:


  • sd_shooter
    replied
    - I ran linux for many years
    - Also ran Windows for many years

    Now I'm a Mac fanboi. Try it - you might like it!

    Leave a comment:


  • Cartridge
    replied
    I've never used Microsoft Windows for more than about five minutes, so I can't really comment. But anecdotally, people I encounter seem to have a ridiculous amount of trouble with it. People seem to be content with it though.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
UA-8071174-1