Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Ammo storage solutions?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • EchoFourTango
    replied
    Originally posted by M1NM
    Ammo cans in a cool dry place
    This

    Leave a comment:


  • 2meterB
    replied
    I use an 18 gun stack on.

    Leave a comment:


  • John Joseph
    replied
    Originally posted by Sky.Hawk
    I have kids including one who is infatuated with everything ammo related (Calgunner in the making), so it is important to me to keep the ammo locked up. After tiring of buying 50cal boxes and locks, I bought a Stack-On factory assembled (welded) 8-gun metal cabinet from Walmart on sale for about $69 delivered including an Amex promo. Then I built wood shelves and a wood frame inside it, and bolted it to studs in the closet of my master bedroom.

    I keep a Beer Nuts plastic container drilled & filled with 100% pure silica cat litter (cheap!) for dessicant.

    It works very well and I feel good about the space and the security. It has been stuffed to the max since this pic was taken.

    Neat! I've always wanted to do something like that.
    Thats a great price for the Stack-on cabinet!

    Leave a comment:


  • Caseless
    replied
    Originally posted by Sky.Hawk
    I have kids including one who is infatuated with everything ammo related (Calgunner in the making), so it is important to me to keep the ammo locked up. After tiring of buying 50cal boxes and locks, I bought a Stack-On factory assembled (welded) 8-gun metal cabinet from Walmart on sale for about $69 delivered including an Amex promo. Then I built wood shelves and a wood frame inside it, and bolted it to studs in the closet of my master bedroom.

    I keep a Beer Nuts plastic container drilled & filled with 100% pure silica cat litter (cheap!) for dessicant.

    It works very well and I feel good about the space and the security. It has been stuffed to the max since this pic was taken.

    Neat. A convenient ammo cupboard.
    Do you manage a retail store? The way you left space between each type of ammo seems similar to a LGS and Walmart ammo display case.

    Leave a comment:


  • SkyHawk
    replied
    I have kids including one who is infatuated with everything ammo related (Calgunner in the making), so it is important to me to keep the ammo locked up. After tiring of buying 50cal boxes and locks, I bought a Stack-On factory assembled (welded) 8-gun metal cabinet from Walmart on sale for about $69 delivered including an Amex promo. Then I built wood shelves and a wood frame inside it, and bolted it to studs in the closet of my master bedroom.

    I keep a Beer Nuts plastic container drilled & filled with 100% pure silica cat litter (cheap!) for dessicant.

    It works very well and I feel good about the space and the security. It has been stuffed to the max since this pic was taken.

    Leave a comment:


  • erik_26
    replied
    Originally posted by bob_e95482
    I am pretty close to this.

    Fyi... Tractor Supply is selling ammo cans for $17. They are new, OD green and have the rubber gasket.

    No markings or stickers on them.

    Leave a comment:


  • Citadelgrad87
    replied
    Costco sells industrial metal racking, like shelves but heavier. I got a shallow model made for closets, and it is in a dedicated closer, in labeled .30 and .50, and a coupe other denominations, ammo cans. THere's also room for specialty stuff like self defense rounds on the shelves, grouped by caliber.

    Leave a comment:


  • Jimi Jah
    replied
    If you shoot it you won't need to store it.

    Leave a comment:


  • gsxr310
    replied
    Keeping them locked in an ammo can... Do you need to put some type of silica packets (moisture packet) if storing long term?

    Leave a comment:


  • toby
    replied
    If you can fit ammo into your safe you do not own enough guns.

    Leave a comment:


  • toby
    replied
    On the cheap but effective GI ammo cans stack nicely or Filing cabinets work very well too. Just don't put ammo in the top drawer of a tall one or you'll have a mess.

    Leave a comment:


  • Dano3467
    replied
    Steel Military foot locker screwed to floor in closet & locked...

    Leave a comment:


  • retiredAFcop
    replied
    If you are concerned about having a basic level of security, you might put a locking door on a closet, and keep the ammo locked in that closet.

    You can build a simple set of shelving, or find commercial shelving that fits in the closet.

    While the locked door will not keep out a determined thief, it will keep out a child.

    Other options (some of which have already been suggested) are "gun cabinets", or other lockable storage containers.

    Personally, I use the "gun cabinet" that preceded my purchase of my first safe for storage of ammo that I don't have large quantities of in ammo cans or field boxes. I built a simple shelf system inside of it (1x6 shelves with 2x6 supports at the sides), and keep different calibers on different shelves.

    I keep some ammo in a locking "truck box" similar to this one: http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

    Leave a comment:


  • John Joseph
    replied
    Originally posted by heyjerr
    Not having enough on hand when the mere threat of another ammo ban comes along is an even bigger liability.
    Except there hasn't been an ammo ban, but ammo shortages.
    If there is an ammo ban, do you think credit card purchases from e-tailers won't be looked at and your ship to address somehow forgotten?

    Another liability situation occurs when people panic buy and end up taking home a pile of sub standard unreliable or inconsistent ammo "just because." not only is it a liability because it is untrustworthy, but it is also a waste of your $$.

    Fire is another liability.

    How much ammo would be excessive is up to you, of course, but an excessive amount can be a liability.

    Leave a comment:


  • uhlan1
    replied
    I use my wife's hinged horse supplement buckets with a few silicone packets and never had a problem. I reload like a banshee and these stack really nicely.
    I don't worry about theft, someone is always home with the police trained GSD's

    Leave a comment:

Working...
UA-8071174-1