Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Firearm inventory software question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • holt7153
    replied
    Originally posted by rdfact
    I have been using Gun Log SPC for a few years.
    I'm a Gun Log user as well. The ability to upload pics is kinda cool.

    Leave a comment:


  • Jimmy's
    replied
    Absolutely NOT!

    Leave a comment:


  • L84CABO
    replied
    I use Excel. It's ok. Not great but not horrible. However, I can see where if somebody had 50 or 100 guns, it would be pretty cumbersome to have a separate page for each gun.

    I primarily track rounds fired and maintenance performed. I have serial numbers and such elsewhere as part of my list of valuables for insurance purposes. In addition to that I have a separate running spreadsheet of all firearms and firearms related purchases (not including ammo). I track ammo purchases on a separate spreadsheet. The purpose of tracking ammo is simply because I wanted to track pricing with all the crazy shortages we've had. And independent of all this, pretty much everything I buy gets recorded in Quicken so I can always filter and sort data there.

    It might be nice to have something purpose built instead of Excel. But to be perfectly honest with you, I probably wouldn't pay a lot for this. Because what I have works ok...or rather it doesn't annoy me enough to the point that I'd spend a bunch for something better.

    Leave a comment:


  • MontClaire
    replied
    I keep basic data in excel. Don't want to get too detailed for life is complicated as it is.

    Leave a comment:


  • jfwlb
    replied
    That sounds much closer to what I want. Unfortunately the last smart phone I chose runs Windows10 mobile, which doesn't have that app. i would gladly pay the price for that app if available.

    I may have to upgrade to andriod or iphone soon.

    John

    Leave a comment:


  • rdfact
    replied
    Firearm inventory software question

    I have been using Gun Log SPC for a few years.
    Last edited by rdfact; 12-05-2017, 11:08 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • jfwlb
    replied
    I currently use Exhell and it sucks.

    It is too clunky, the formatting is terrible, and it is hard to manipulate. This is coming from a guy who uses exhell daily at work.

    1. Answered
    2. Answered(it sucks)
    3. too slow to build
    4. Yes, a better interface(GUI)
    5. Maybe, not sure how that works, or could work. it would be cool to be able to label my ammo cans with info such as new, reloaded, bullet weight, etc.. and scan when I go and return from the range and have it update my inventory.
    6. Bought new, used, price then, price now, date of manufacture, rounds shot by me, rounds shot by previous owner, finish, grips/stocks, pics, ins. quotes, ser, #,model, barrel length, action type, buildable fields for accessories, upgrades added, to name a few. It would be really cool if it could generate it's own current value estimate by mining gun auctions or the blue book.
    7. ammo count, new or reloaded, repairs needed and done.
    8. Only if it password protected, then yes.

    I have searched many times for something that suits me, but have not found it yet. If I can be of any help please let me know.

    John

    Leave a comment:


  • ARFrog
    replied
    You say that like it's a bad thing

    Leave a comment:


  • calif 15-22
    replied

    Leave a comment:


  • ARFrog
    replied
    Funny you should ask. Having recently checked out this topic, most of the programs that are out there appear to be cheap and worthless or relatively expensive and too narrowly focused.

    I used to keep basic model, serial number, ammo usage and modification in Excel spreadsheets. The problem is that it is more difficult to get the various worksheets to "play nicely together" and get any meaningful consolidated information without serious manipulation skills.

    Consequently, I have recently built a firearm database in Access and am currently loading data. My hope is that if I have build it properly, I can properly run reports, tables, use forms, etc for things like:

    - ownership reports of total firearms owned / sold
    - quick reports to compare against C&R logbook
    - quick reports of non C&R firearms or owned
    - individual firearm detail sheets with pictures
    - historical DROS information for possible future state required reporting
    - reports for insurance purposes which include pictures, identifying features, valuation information
    - identifying feature reports
    - marketing information big text fields which allow prespositioning of firearm description for use in sales ads like on Calguns
    - tables by type (eg pump) or caliber
    - etc

    It will probably be sometime after the holidays before I see if all the effort has been worth it. However, one has only to read some of the posts from those going through filling out AR registration forms and lacking data or failing to remember where and when firearms were purchased to realize that a properly used database would be helpful.

    Leave a comment:


  • AreWeFree
    replied
    excel sucks for this /thread

    Leave a comment:


  • SantaCabinetguy
    replied
    MS Excel.

    /thread.

    Leave a comment:


  • Lonestargrizzly not a Cabinetguy
    replied
    You mean like excel?

    Leave a comment:


  • AreWeFree
    replied
    I'd gladly pay money for a program to make my life easier, however I doubt you'll create a proper application for various reasons.

    1. Yes.
    2. Sheets, no it's not to my liking.
    3. Annoyances from Sheets.
    4. Yes, lots.
    5. No, unnecessary.
    6. Lots of data, if you get off the ground I'd be happy to provide meaningful input.
    7. ^^^


    What environment, how is it stored, (and since you're likely talking phone apps) how limited are the permissions?

    Leave a comment:


  • deebix
    started a topic Firearm inventory software question

    Firearm inventory software question

    My hobbyist programming friends and I are inquiring about potential demand for a simple and uncluttered inventory control application. We have tried all the usual apps out now and are somewhat disappointed with the old user interfaces, cluttered amount of fields, and security/backup limitations. I suppose my questions are as follows:

    1. Do any of you even use a program/spreadsheet to keep track of what you own and what you are shooting?
    2. To those that do, what are you currently using and is it enough for your liking?
    3. Are there any limitations currently you feel hinder proper usage?
    4. Are there any features one would wish to have over and above basic Excel spreadsheet functionality?
    5. Do any of you like the idea of QR code marking / RFID tags on your property/ ammo boxes / gear?
    6. What notable information is worth jotting in your opinion? e.g. photos, serial #'s...
    7. Are there any types of statistics worth tracking and plotting?
    8. Is a mobile application useful?

    If there is enough demand for such an app, we intend to make a modern GUI with fast access to the types of fields/data that would be used most. Thanks for any input!
    Last edited by deebix; 12-05-2017, 7:29 PM.
Working...
UA-8071174-1