Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Had a problem at the range today!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • tacticalcity
    replied
    You are OK, right? You said something about metal to the face? Really sorry that happened.

    Leave a comment:


  • Lucky Scott
    replied
    5.56

    Well, I guess that's good to know...............
    But my 5.56 wont reach out as far as the 7mm Rem Mag.

    Leave a comment:


  • the86d
    replied
    You can't really overcharge 5.56 with Varget. Just saying.

    Leave a comment:


  • Lucky Scott
    replied
    I dont know yet, but I also suspect it was an ammo related issue. I have been putting off reloading, but it may be time to think about it. At least I would know what I have. I know there are lots of benefits in terms or accuracy as well.

    Leave a comment:


  • Lucky Scott
    replied
    "I would question the ammo, did you buy it new yourself? Is it possible it was reloaded and put into the factory box?"

    I bought the ammo from a guy that had sold a rifle, so it was not new to me. I talked to the remington folks and we traced the numbers on the box. They said it is 1994. I guess it is possible that someone put some reloads in the factory box. I dont know how I would tell, since the brass appears to match the box. I know when I save my good brass I put it back in the factory box, so I guess someone could have done that. I may pull a bullet and look, but the remington lady said they would like to look at it and I may just send it to them. I know I wont shoot the rest of the box. I would normally save the brass but I think under the circumstances I will just get rid of it. I would hate to take a chance.

    Leave a comment:


  • russ69
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucky Scott
    ...By the way, this is a 1972 rifle. I did not buy it new. The ammo has been sitting around for a while also. It is factory Remington ammo, but the box looks old. The ammo looks perfect, but it is not recent production ammo...
    The age of the rifle is not in question, 1972 is as good or better than new. I would question the ammo, did you buy it new yourself? Is it possible it was reloaded and put into the factory box?

    Leave a comment:


  • 'ol shooter
    replied
    You said the ammo was on the old side, how old? Old enough that the powder had started to break down? If you still have a few loaded rounds from that lot, pull the bullet and dump the powder. If the powder is reddish looking, you are basically playing with unstable powder, and should empty all the cases and burn off the powder.

    Leave a comment:


  • thospb
    replied
    A quality rifle saved you from harm! The ammo is at fault. I would take photos of the ammo box w/ lot #, etc just in case it gets "lost" when you send it to Remington. They may find it was the way the ammo has been stored, but I'm sure they ill take care of you.
    A good teaching moment for eye protection.

    Leave a comment:


  • Cypriss32
    replied
    7 rem mag? I had one, factory ammo is loaded very low compared to hand loads I made. I suspect it MIGHT have been a reload you received or a bad factory round no doubt.

    Leave a comment:


  • wjc
    replied
    Definitely let us know the result, OP.

    I have little regard for Remington ammo but I'd be curious if it was a badly seated primer or some other defect.

    Leave a comment:


  • Bastard
    replied
    I agree wise choice - let us know how it turns out.

    Leave a comment:


  • Garyson1311
    replied
    Dude thats a serious thing that happened to you. Call Remington. If it was an issue with the ammo, I would think they owe you a check for a new gun.

    Leave a comment:


  • mark501w
    replied
    Wise choice , it doesn't matter how old anything is you stoked your 700 with their mistake & they know it.

    Leave a comment:


  • Lucky Scott
    replied
    Okay, I was wrong.
    I have been talked into sending it into Remington. Now, I was upfront with them and told them I am not trying to pin liability or get something for free. But My friends made me call them, and Remington said the best thing to do was to have them look at it.

    My main concern is safety, and that includes me and the people around me.

    I am going to ship it to Remington, and have them look at it. If it needs repair and parts, it will be in a good place. I will know for sure that it is safe.

    By the way, this is a 1972 rifle. I did not buy it new. The ammo has been sitting around for a while also. It is factory Remington ammo, but the box looks old. The ammo looks perfect, but it is not recent production ammo.

    I told the remington guy this up front. Told him it was an old gun, not a warrenty or liability issue, but I was talked into calling them and asking their advice. I thought perhaps they would tell me to have the repair guy check headspace, firing pin etc. Instead he told me to send it in. It sounded reasonable to have the factory make sure it was completely safe.

    Leave a comment:


  • khw9mm
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucky Scott
    "liability chain."
    Not really interested in liability. Sometimes stuff happens. If it is broken, I will pay to have it fixed.
    You're my type of customer!

    To be serious now, you should definitely contact Remington for this before your smith. I'm sure you want to find out as soon as possible but stuff like this should NOT happen in factory ammo. Even "every once in a while..." They really need to know.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
UA-8071174-1