Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Bob Chow Colt Python

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • javaduke
    replied
    Originally posted by AdamVIP
    Beautiful gun.

    Excuse my ignorance here but why would you change a DA revolver to SA? Is there some inherent accuracy improvement or something?
    If I remember correctly, the explanation that I was once given is that once the SA trigger job is done, shooting DA may ruin it, because the surface on the trigger rubs against the DA strut. Can't really say if this is true, or just another urban legend.

    Leave a comment:


  • ScottsBad
    replied
    Very purdy Python. I love the grips.

    Leave a comment:


  • AdamVIP
    replied
    Beautiful gun.

    Excuse my ignorance here but why would you change a DA revolver to SA? Is there some inherent accuracy improvement or something?

    Leave a comment:


  • blasterp7
    replied
    Originally posted by javaduke


    Made in 1960, accurized and converted to SAO by F. Bob Chow in June 1961. Stamped "Chow" on the hammer and on the left side of the frame, under the grips.

    Don't ask me how much I paid for it...
    This is just stupid! I shot one of his customized 1911's once - just stupid - stupid- stupid

    Leave a comment:


  • GW
    replied
    That is a gorgeous gun.A beauty.

    Leave a comment:


  • SloChicken
    replied
    Wow! All of these pistols in this thread are awesome!

    I bought a couple of pistols that were worked by Jim Clark Sr.
    I bought a Colt series 70 heavy long slide for $800 and traded a pretty generic AR15 for a Smith Model 41

    A paramedic that was occasional part of my crew inherited from his grandpa. He wanted a new stereo for his new (also inherited) Dodge Ram 2500.
    I implored upon him to keep them as they were a gift from his now dead grandfather.
    Only after he told me "last chance, they are getting put up for sale", did I buy them.
    Honestly, I have no idea how they compare to Bob Chow's stuff, but they are pretty amazingly smooth runners.

    If any of you all have much of an idea how they compare, feel free to offer up input.

    Nice revolver OP, hoping I don't derail this thread too much with my query.

    Leave a comment:


  • onelonehorseman
    replied
    Stunning Python!

    Leave a comment:


  • L84CABO
    replied
    Well dang that's just lovely!

    Leave a comment:


  • TurboChrisB
    replied
    Originally posted by dk94044
    Cary Chin posted some really cool Bob Chow stories on the 1911 forum...
    http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.ph...45/page3&pp=10
    Cool thread, thanks!

    Leave a comment:


  • dk94044
    replied
    Thank you for sharing! Cary Chin posted some really cool Bob Chow stories on the 1911 forum...
    Look at link, what do the markings mean on the bottom of the slide? TIA Paul http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=104298934

    Leave a comment:


  • javaduke
    replied
    Originally posted by Che762x39
    I disagree. Once it is retired from shooting competition its 50/50. Does it go into the safe or will you cannibalize it for the parts?

    Like that 1960 Python would have a great Smolt or Smython in 1980. Jusy saying ...
    Depends on what you call "retired from the competition". Bob Chow mostly made guns for bullseye, the loads are reduced and bullets are mostly lead, so with proper care a properly fit gun can last forever.
    Of course, if a gun is no longer shooting accurately and assuming the damage is too big (e.g. rails are worn out, rifling is damaged), it goes to the heaven for guns aka the bottom of the safe.

    Ah, Smolts... would be nice to find one in decent condition, or maybe a Bob Chow High Standard with a custom barrel he used to make from Douglas blanks...A man can dream...
    Now I talk like a collector, shame on me! ))))

    Leave a comment:


  • Che762x39
    replied
    Originally posted by javaduke
    ... Bob Chow guns, as rare and precious as they are, were built for shooters, not collectors.
    I disagree. Once it is retired from shooting competition its 50/50. Does it go into the safe or will you cannibalize it for the parts?

    Like that 1960 Python would have a great Smolt or Smython in 1980. Jusy saying ...

    Leave a comment:


  • TurboChrisB
    replied
    Wow, this thread just has WIN all over it!

    Leave a comment:


  • javaduke
    replied
    Originally posted by beetle
    The guy I bought it from still had the original receipt when he commissioned Bob to work on his gun. The medal is one of many trinkets that Bob won over his lifetime. They now give them away as prizes for his memorial shoots.
    At the Coyote Point range we have two huge displays of Bob Chow trophies, which is probably less than one third of all his trophies and awards.
    I competed in two or three Bob Chow memorial matches, but, of course, didn't win anything. Not sure if there will be a match this year, but if yes, I will definitely be there with this Python Bob Chow guns, as rare and precious as they are, were built for shooters, not collectors.

    Leave a comment:


  • xMAC1x
    replied

    Leave a comment:

Working...
UA-8071174-1