Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Colt Python Repair

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • LoadedM333
    replied
    Originally posted by RandyD
    A friend of mine who is a local gunsmith had told me that he took in a stainless steel 6" Colt Python that was in need of a number of repairs, and he thought something was off about the person who turned in the firearm, so he called the San Diego Sheriff's Department. The sheriff's dept ran the gun's serial number and informed my friend that the gun had been stolen in 2004, and the sheriff's dept with my friend's assistance set up a sting to catch the guy.

    I just called my friend and he confirmed this is the revolver he took in. He said he put the rubber grip on the handgun, because the firearm did not have any grips, and it was wrapped with electrical tape. OP, I can put you in touch with the gunsmith if you desire.
    Wow, small world indeed. Please tell your friend that with his assistance and SD Sheriff, the gun made its way back home. Very grateful for his part. I wonder if your friend can tell us the name of the thief, the detective had told me but I forgot. Not going to do anything stupid but I think my house was watched prior to the burglary. I am still missing a few firearms stolen that day.
    I do appreciate the offer of contacting your friend, the gunsmith, but at this time, I am going to send it to Colt to have her complete repair/refinish, no offense.

    Leave a comment:


  • oc16
    replied
    seems to me the python was a little to heavy it fit in a crouch pocket and the idiot tried to make it weigh less by removing parts and lost them. its good that its back home restore it and break her in.

    Leave a comment:


  • RandyD
    replied
    A friend of mine who is a local gunsmith had told me that he took in a stainless steel 6" Colt Python that was in need of a number of repairs, and he thought something was off about the person who turned in the firearm, so he called the San Diego Sheriff's Department. The sheriff's dept ran the gun's serial number and informed my friend that the gun had been stolen in 2004, and the sheriff's dept with my friend's assistance set up a sting to catch the guy.

    I just called my friend and he confirmed this is the revolver he took in. He said he put the rubber grip on the handgun, because the firearm did not have any grips, and it was wrapped with electrical tape. OP, I can put you in touch with the gunsmith if you desire.

    Leave a comment:


  • kendog4570
    replied
    Originally posted by LoadedM333
    Thank you for the information sir.
    You are welcome. I might ad, the CA shipping letter nonsense between FFL's is not required for service either, but most companies do it anyway.

    Leave a comment:


  • LoadedM333
    replied
    Originally posted by kendog4570
    Any non licensed individual can send a gun to any licensee (FFL 0-1, 0-7, or 10) for repair, and receive it back with no wait times, etc. It is service and not a transfer. Colt has directions on their site as to their shipping and service policies. Usually this means contact them to let them know you want to send it and they send some sort of authorization with a repair number, then ship it by UPS or Fed Ex. Non licensees cannot MAIL handguns, and Colts policy is they do not accept mail shipments.
    Box it up securely, unloaded of course, and don't put any gun reference on the box.
    Thank you for the information sir.

    Leave a comment:


  • LoadedM333
    replied
    Originally posted by WyattandDoc
    As for spending time in jail, the guy was most likely out before you finished typing your Thread. Prop 47 made Receiving Stolen Property (Even a gun) a Misd. Hopefully you have a good detective to swing the felony due to the guns value. Chances are, thanks to Gavin Newsom, that your guy has already stolen somebody else's firearm.
    The detective said, he pled guilty and serving a year in jail, not sure if it was misdemeanor or felony. But I think it's misdemeanor.

    Yes, I agreed with you, libtard Gavin Newscum made it easy for the douchebag to steal some more.

    Leave a comment:


  • kendog4570
    replied
    Originally posted by JDay
    If Colt doesn't give you a shipping label pay an FFL to send it USPS. It's much cheaper than using FedEx or UPS overnight.
    Colts will not accept mail shipments.

    Leave a comment:


  • kendog4570
    replied
    Originally posted by Dvrjon

    If not, you must ship by private carrier (UPS/FedEx) with overnight delivery. Possibly over $100.

    The laws regarding this are vague and conflicting, and one will get gray hair going through all the codes and statutes. Companies like S&W and Ruger cut to the chase and send a return label. I dont think Colts does. MOST of the overnight BS are shippers policies, and not laws. When I send a handgun to a sub contractor for service I just box it up and ship it. It is non of USP's biz whats in it as long as it is legal. They are a "benevolent monopoly" and they HAVE to ship it. I believe transfers are more regulated.
    I could be wrong, and like I said, you will get wrinkles and gray hair trying to figure it out.

    Leave a comment:


  • JDay
    replied
    Originally posted by LoadedM333
    Checked my serial number against the site, no records found. I am going to send it in anyways, so I'll ask them this coming June.

    Another question, how do you all send your firearms to Colt? what I mean is, do you have to go through FFL dealer? I have never sent any firearms before. Thanks.
    If Colt doesn't give you a shipping label pay an FFL to send it USPS. It's much cheaper than using FedEx or UPS overnight.

    Leave a comment:


  • kendog4570
    replied
    Originally posted by LoadedM333

    Another question, how do you all send your firearms to Colt? what I mean is, do you have to go through FFL dealer? I have never sent any firearms before. Thanks.
    Any non licensed individual can send a gun to any licensee (FFL 0-1, 0-7, or 10) for repair, and receive it back with no wait times, etc. It is service and not a transfer. Colt has directions on their site as to their shipping and service policies. Usually this means contact them to let them know you want to send it and they send some sort of authorization with a repair number, then ship it by UPS or Fed Ex. Non licensees cannot MAIL handguns, and Colts policy is they do not accept mail shipments.
    Box it up securely, unloaded of course, and don't put any gun reference on the box.

    Leave a comment:


  • Dvrjon
    replied
    Originally posted by LoadedM333
    Another question, how do you all send your firearms to Colt? what I mean is, do you have to go through FFL dealer? I have never sent any firearms before. Thanks.
    Ask Colt how they'd like to see it arrive. They may be able to help with shipping.

    If not, you must ship by private carrier (UPS/FedEx) with overnight delivery. Possibly over $100.

    Or, you can go through an FFL who can ship USPS (Individuals cannot ship handguns by USPS) which is a lower rate, but the FFL may charge for the transaction at both ends.

    You should also think about Colt providing the authenticity letter when the do this work. That would complete the recovery process for this gun.

    Leave a comment:


  • WyattandDoc
    replied
    As for spending time in jail, the guy was most likely out before you finished typing your Thread. Prop 47 made Receiving Stolen Property (Even a gun) a Misd. Hopefully you have a good detective to swing the felony due to the guns value. Chances are, thanks to Gavin Newsom, that your guy has already stolen somebody else's firearm.

    Leave a comment:


  • LoadedM333
    replied
    Originally posted by nickel plate
    OP,
    I just checked the two serial number data bases listed in post #27 and neither have my Python SN KT0XXX which I purchased new around 1990-1991 so you probably won't find yours either however on the Colt website they do list a CS phone number for further SN assistance:
    1-800) 962-(COLT)2658
    You can always pay Colt for a letter of authenticity but for just a date of manufacture, call that toll free number.
    Checked my serial number against the site, no records found. I am going to send it in anyways, so I'll ask them this coming June.

    Another question, how do you all send your firearms to Colt? what I mean is, do you have to go through FFL dealer? I have never sent any firearms before. Thanks.

    Leave a comment:


  • kendog4570
    replied
    Originally posted by dfletcher
    I've replaced Colt older model hammers, hands, cylinder bolts, rebound levers, etc. And I'd still say sending it back to Colt is the best move. You can have them refresh or refinish the gun while it's there. BTW, a friend has a set of wood Python grips taken off a 1965 or so blued 6". He prefers rubber Pachmayer to the originals. PM me if you're interested, he wants $250.00.

    It's quite easy to put parts in these guns, and if they fit, the world is a beautiful place. If it needs advanced repair, timing of the lock work, or one part is out of whack, one may indeed have his hands full! An old timer told me years ago "sonny, almost anyone can work on a Smith, but the devil himself lurks under the side plate of a Colt".
    I have a 4" blue that is going back to them soon for refinishing. They just wont authorize a shipping order to receive it until June 2016 so there is no queue.

    Leave a comment:


  • nickel plate
    replied
    OP,
    I just checked the two serial number data bases listed in post #27 and neither have my Python SN KT0XXX which I purchased new around 1990-1991 so you probably won't find yours either however on the Colt website they do list a CS phone number for further SN assistance:
    1-800) 962-(COLT)2658
    You can always pay Colt for a letter of authenticity but for just a date of manufacture, call that toll free number.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
UA-8071174-1