Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 04-14-2014, 5:40 PM

Default Best AR Scope Mount

Mounting Zeiss 6.5 - 20 Scope on a 7.62 or .243 AR-10
Old 04-14-2014, 6:04 PM
Veteran Member

Not sure about best, but this is what I use on my LR308.

Other ones that could be considered best are GDI, SPUHR, American Rifle Co. M10, Alamo DLOC, and the other usual suspects Larue, ADM, Bobro, JP, etc.
"When you get the (men) to the range, you just get the men. But when you bring the (women) to the range, you get the (whole family). And that's what's going to save our 2nd Amendment."--Dianna Liedorff

"Since self-preservation is the 1st law of nature, we assert the...right to self-defense. The Constitution...clearly affirms the right of every American...to bear arms. And as Americans, we will not give up a single right guaranteed under the Constitution." --Malcolm X
Old 04-14-2014, 6:18 PM

ADM or LaRue
Old 04-14-2014, 7:45 PM
Veteran Member

LaRue tactical make some of the best scope mounts money can buy, I'd call them and see which model they would suggest for your particular scope.
Old 04-14-2014, 8:21 PM

I'm a BIG fan of American Defense QD mounts. Inexpensive, and better clamping system than the others I've seen, with more bearing surface, and less finicky to adjust (no need for locktite, paint pen marking/indexing, adjusting screws each time...just set the hex-head screw to the desired tension, then pop it into the spring-loaded recessed housing in the mount, which keeps it from "adjusting" itself under recoil or rough handling).

Also half the money of the LaRue, and you're not giving money to someone who many in the industry would consider a "not very nice person."

I suppose the mount may not have the same resale value, since they don't spend money on advertising...but you're also not paying for that advertising.
Old 04-14-2014, 8:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPSICK View Post
Not sure about best, but this is what I use on my LR308.

Other ones that could be considered best are GDI, SPUHR, American Rifle Co. M10, Alamo DLOC, and the other usual suspects Larue, ADM, Bobro, JP, etc.
Yo Sick, what scope is that? I like your setup.

en
Old 04-14-2014, 8:25 PM

The scope mounts I use on my Mosin Nagant and Marlin were $20 max and hold zero lol
Old 04-14-2014, 8:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunborder View Post
...Also half the money of the LaRue, ...
That's a bit of an exaggeration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post

en
Not my setup but mine is similar now that I think about it. I think the one pictured is the SWFA SS 3-9x42 HD. I have a 10x42 HD on mine.

If your scope does not need to be detached, it's hard to beat the Aadmount for the money although the JP is another good value for a non-QD mount with similar mounting features. The Larue with a VFZ mount is probably another good non-QD option for not much money.

If you're feeling spendy, Spuhr (non-QD) and GDI (QD) are considered the best AFAIK but I don't make that kind of money. I do like the ring design on the American Rifle M10 and the QD design on the Alamo DLOC.
"When you get the (men) to the range, you just get the men. But when you bring the (women) to the range, you get the (whole family). And that's what's going to save our 2nd Amendment."--Dianna Liedorff

"Since self-preservation is the 1st law of nature, we assert the...right to self-defense. The Constitution...clearly affirms the right of every American...to bear arms. And as Americans, we will not give up a single right guaranteed under the Constitution." --Malcolm X
Old 04-14-2014, 8:35 PM

If you feel like spending alot these guys make some nice mounts.
http://spuhr.com/tablet/index.html
Old 04-14-2014, 8:39 PM
Veteran Member

Shameless plug...buy mine! http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=918691

It is a really nice mount.
Old 04-14-2014, 9:10 PM

ADM>Bobro>Larue
Old 04-14-2014, 9:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sffred View Post
ADM>Bobro>Larue
If QD functionality is not a requirement, I could see all 3 of these being relatively equal considering the main complaint with Larue (outside of the company owner) is how the QD mechanism could wear the rail.

Old 04-14-2014, 9:51 PM
Veteran Member

Bobro is the best since it doesn't need adjustments to mount to any 1913 spec rail unlike ADM or Larue. This especially useful if your switching optics between rifles.
Old 04-15-2014, 4:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munny$hot View Post
Bobro is the best since it doesn't need adjustments to mount to any 1913 spec rail unlike ADM or Larue. This especially useful if your switching optics between rifles.
Yep.

The Bobro is self adjusting.

ADM would be my second choice.

LaRue QD levers are a cam lock type and they will actually dent your rail.
Old 04-15-2014, 6:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawernator View Post
The scope mounts I use on my Mosin Nagant and Marlin were $20 max and hold zero lol
only acceptable scope / scope mount for a MN is a PU / PE Type period.
Old 04-15-2014, 6:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post

en
excellent Scopes
Old 04-15-2014, 7:46 AM

Sphur Mounts
http://www.spuhr.com/ideal-scope-mount-system.html

A lot of long range precision guys use Sphur. I'm on a budget right now, so I'm running LaRue mounts.

@IPSICK mentioned pretty much everything that's out there in his post. Some of the high end stuff he mentioned is pretty amazing.
Old 04-15-2014, 8:10 AM

i picked up a qd mount from US optics when I got my scope from them. Solid and well made that held zero after numerous remounts...

Old 04-15-2014, 8:47 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m16 View Post
...LaRue QD levers are a cam lock type and they will actually dent your rail.
After how many removals and re-installs? I've removed and re-installed mine quite a few times with no indication of rail wear and excellent return to zero consistency. Due to the design I don't doubt the claim, but I just have not seen it or experienced it. One thing I like about the Larue is the recoil lugs are machined into the mount. That doesn't seem the case with the ADM or Bobro. I'm not denying they're high quality mounts , but the Larue bashing can be really intense sometimes. And unless the OP is planning on regular removal of the optic, the Larue VFZ design should serve him well while also saving $25 off the cost of the mount.

Old 04-15-2014, 9:06 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawernator View Post
Same here. I used one piece $10 mounts from CTD. Work as well as any, they hold zero fine and are light weight. Don't need a fancy logo on the mounts.

I can't see spending more for the mount than I spent on the optics.
Old 04-15-2014, 9:11 AM

It depends on how tight you have your lever adjusted.

On one of my uppers I used to have a magnifier in a LaRue QD mount which was taken off and and put back on a lot.

At first I noticed the hard coat started to rub off where the cam lock engages, after a while it turned into a dent.

If you remove your LaRue mounts often you will notice that the lever starts to close and lock with less effort and you have to tighten the nut a little more.

This is because the aluminum rail is being smashed by the cam lock.

I'm not bashing anyone, just relaying my experience with his mounts.

You'd have to try really hard to dent a rail with a Bobro or an ADM mount.

In fact, with a Bobro I don't even think it is possible.
Old 04-15-2014, 9:44 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m16 View Post
It depends on how tight you have your lever adjusted.

On one of my uppers I used to have a magnifier in a LaRue QD mount which was taken off and and put back on a lot.

...I'm not bashing anyone, just relaying my experience with his mounts.

You'd have to try really hard to dent a rail with a Bobro or an ADM mount.

In fact, with a Bobro I don't even think it is possible.
Well I don't use magnifiers. I figure a good low powered variable accomplishes the same thing. And I kind of doubt the OP would be taking off and replacing the optic he mentions on a frequent basis.

I agree, both the Bobro and ADM would have a hard time denting a rail due to the design.

Just not sure if I'm sold on the ADM's return to zero capabilities, but the Bobro is interesting.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:09 AM

^^^ @ipsick. ADM return to zero is about .5-1MOA off when ever I remove and reinstall my recon or scout x mount

And I'll stand corrected for QD scope mounts.
Bobro>ADM>Larue
Old 04-15-2014, 11:39 AM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I believe the GDI P-ROM mounts have incredibly reliable return to zero. These are not cheap mounts.

http://www.gdiengineering.com/store/...ount-0moa.html

I'd take the Bobro over ADM and the LT personally (especially now that you can get the mounting screws on top of the ring). One mount that I like that doesn't get a lot of mention here is the Alamo Four Star DLOC. I would put that into the group you are considering as well.

http://www.alamofourstar.com/index.p...emart&Itemid=2

On the non QD side, Spuhr and Aadland are really solid.

Last edited by dhawkins; 04-15-2014 at 11:42 AM..
Old 04-15-2014, 1:38 PM

GG&G extended rail for rifle scopes and medium height rings from Griffin Armament.

http://griffinarmament.com/accessories/scope-rings/
http://www.gggaz.com/gs-1-optical-mounting-rail.html

Genuine MMCS, Firefighter and father of two great kids!
Old 04-15-2014, 2:06 PM

Any thoughts on the Burris PEPR mount? Good value mount for 5.56 and a low powered scope?

Last edited by Charlie Foxtrot; 04-15-2014 at 2:14 PM..
Old 04-15-2014, 2:28 PM

I have used LaRue, ADM, and Bobro. I think the Bobro is the best mount out there. I dont care much for the levers on the LaRue and the ADM can be slow to remove if tightened. Andrew Bobro is actually a good dude and is a local.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
$135 MSRP for LT ACOG QD Mount. vs $75 MSRP for equivalent ADM mount...

That's darn near half the price. 55.5% actually.

Yes, there is a $107 ACOG mount from Larue, made to mount way to the rear with relief cuts for the charging handle, but it's not meant to be used with BUIS, and it has less clamping surface on the one throw lever. With the Larue clamping system, if you're actually going to use it as a QD, you are going to want both throw levers. It's not an equivalent mount.

I'll grant you for the optic the OP listed, it probably isn't that dramatic, about $210 vs $170, but if you are buying the ADM mounts from primary arms as part of a bundle...you get down to $140. Still quite a savings.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:40 PM
Calguns Addict

I really like my adm stuff. plus they now make canted mounts if you ever want to take your ars or other picatinny rifles out to 1000 yards.
Old 04-16-2014, 6:34 AM

Bobros self adjusting design is years ahead of Larue and Adm. Larue was an improvement over the ARMS QD. There are more players in the game now.
Old 04-16-2014, 7:14 AM

That is the upper I used on my "Long Range AR" project, I think that 4x is going to be way to little magnification for it.

I originally had a Larue Tactical mount on that rifle which is great as you can take it off and on and the zero stays but I have better use for that on another rifle so I listened to the folks here and got a set of Warne scope rings and those things are rock solid!

Best scope rings are the Badger Ordnance but they are expensive and prone to rust!
[IMG]http://***********************/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/11/33/buy.gif[/IMG]
I got lucky and got a Leupold 6.5-20X on a trade which is what I am using on mine, sent it to Leupold for some upgrades but for half that money you could get a Vortex 6-24X which was my intended choice before the Leupold came along and everyone says they are wonderful scopes.
Old 04-16-2014, 7:26 AM
Calguns Addict

I've used pretty much all of the mounts discussed so far. If I wanted QD, I'd go Bobro and not look back. If I didn't need QD, I'd look at Sphur, GDI and AADMount. Alll good stuff.

American Marksman Training Group, LLC
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page
Old 04-16-2014, 8:13 AM

You said "the best", so here it is; http://www.milehighshooting.com/30mm-spuhr-mounts/

Old 04-16-2014, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mute View Post
I've used pretty much all of the mounts discussed so far. If I wanted QD, I'd go Bobro and not look back. If I didn't need QD, I'd look at Sphur, GDI and AADMount. Alll good stuff.
Don't think I will go QR .........I will research your trio
Old 04-16-2014, 5:39 PM
Veteran Member

Actually a solid mount is better than a QD. Just a FYI ARMS/SWAN new style QD mounts are now tension adjustable like the Larue. Also for a cheaper option to Bobro look at SWFA or Trijicon branded mounts which are Bobro mounts with SWFA/Trijicon logos on them and about 60-80 less.
Old 04-16-2014, 9:03 PM

Bobro
Old 04-16-2014, 9:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPSICK View Post

Not my setup but mine is similar now that I think about it. I think the one pictured is the SWFA SS 3-9x42 HD. I have a 10x42 HD on mine.

If your scope does not need to be detached, it's hard to beat the Aadmount for the money although the JP is another good value for a non-QD mount with similar mounting features. The Larue with a VFZ mount is probably another good non-QD option for not much money.

If you're feeling spendy, Spuhr (non-QD) and GDI (QD) are considered the best AFAIK but I don't make that kind of money. I do like the ring design on the American Rifle M10 and the QD design on the Alamo DLOC.
Thanks for the info. Looks like I'm going with either the AAD mount, or the Bobro QD mount. Now I just need to find a scope.
Old 04-16-2014, 9:52 PM
Veteran Member

The Bobro is a good mount but the Larue is more like the "AK" of mounts in the sense that it is the simplest tool. The Bobro is full of all sorts of pins and springs and I definitely would not be able to put one back together should it fail for some reason.

That being said, the Larue or ADM is NOT what I would recommend for Precision use due to the fact that the split ring design will obscure your elevation turret.
Old 04-17-2014, 5:54 PM
Ready fo HILLARY!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
Mounting Zeiss 6.5 - 20 Scope on a 7.62 or .243 AR-10
The one piece mounts from companies like SPUHR will have the best machining. For a QD mount Bobro, ADM, Larue, they are all good.
Old 04-17-2014, 7:17 PM

for non QD Warne Tactical makes a very robust mount, has 45 deg rails on each side as well that can be used or taken off. Yes it is expensive, but extremely solid. Have one on my AR w Trijicon Accupoint TR24G.