Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 06-19-2013, 1:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Default xBone 180! Removing check-in, and DRM?

http://kotaku.com/microsoft-is-remov...-drm-514390310
Old 06-19-2013, 1:33 PM

lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdtx2001 View Post
Hope this helps and remember.... If you meet a nice girl be good. If you can't be good, be safe. If you can't be safe, don't name it after me.
Old 06-19-2013, 1:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Official:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilro View Post
Looks like Microsoft folded:

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update
I MIGHT buy ONE, 1/1/14, or later.

Last edited by the86d; 06-19-2013 at 2:02 PM..
Old 06-19-2013, 2:04 PM

haha now what can the fanboys say?? everyone that tried to defend ms in making these bad decisions cant say anything cause now ms is stating they were bad decisions. im sorry but this still leaves a bad taste in my mouth
Old 06-19-2013, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatpain View Post
haha now what can the fanboys say?? everyone that tried to defend ms in making these bad decisions cant say anything cause now ms is stating they were bad decisions. im sorry but this still leaves a bad taste in my mouth

And there is still the issue with Kinect always being on.
Old 06-19-2013, 2:26 PM
Calguns Addict

You know what, being thrifty... the PS4 would be a better option, assuming that the new Fallout is to be released on both consoles.

It would be MY first Sony PS console... and wait until the xBone is less than 2 c-notes.

I might as well get a device that we KNOW can probably watch Netflix without having to pay an ADDITIONAL yearly fee (as I don't play on Live) to use a device I already have paid for (if it works the same, but again: DETAILS UNKNOWN STILL).
Old 06-19-2013, 2:42 PM

Thats good news......Xbox one might be in my Future....I do like the 360......Twisted metal is back for the PS....Mmmmmm!
Old 06-19-2013, 2:42 PM
Veteran Member

Finally, I'm glad they listened to customers before releasing the product. While I don't play games on consoles (I use my PC for games), the original set of restrictions seems really too draconian and "big brother".
Old 06-19-2013, 2:45 PM

Xbox One Will Not Require Internet, Restrict Used Games

Microsoft has changed its policies regarding Xbox One’s internet requirements, used game restrictions and more.

Contrary to the details announced earlier this month, Microsoft has now confirmed news originally reported on Giant Bomb that Xbox One will not require an internet connection to play offline games or need to check in every 24 hours; instead, internet will only be required when initially setting up the console.

"After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again," Microsoft wrote. "There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360."

Like on Xbox 360, "playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray."

Xbox One will also no longer restrict used games, and will instead allow discs to be exchanged in the same way they are on Xbox 360. There will be no additional restrictions for trade-ins or lending games to friends. The system is also no longer be region locked and all downloaded games will function the same way whether your console is connected or not.

"Since unveiling our plans for Xbox One, my team and I have heard directly from many of you, read your comments and listened to your feedback," Microsoft's Don Mattrick wrote. "I would like to take the opportunity today to thank you for your assistance in helping us to reshape the future of Xbox One. You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc. The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world."

In addition to being available in retail stores, Xbox One games will still be available for download on day one and will be playable on any Xbox One console.

"These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One," Mattrick noted. "The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold."

"We appreciate your passion, support and willingness to challenge the assumptions of digital licensing and connectivity," Mattrick concluded. "While we believe that the majority of people will play games online and access the cloud for both games and entertainment, we will give consumers the choice of both physical and digital content. We have listened and we have heard loud and clear from your feedback that you want the best of both worlds."

Microsoft's decision follows mass confusion following the announcement of Xbox One in May. At E3 last week, Sony announced similar policies for PlayStation 4, which will not require an internet connection or periodic authentication and does not restrict used games.

Xbox One is currently available for pre-order from various retailers.
Mossberg MVP 16.25" .308 / Maverick Model 88 Security 8-Shot 12ga / Hunter O/U 12ga
Sphinx SDP Black Line 9mm
Walther PPK Interarms .380
Beretta 950B Minx .22 Short
Old 06-19-2013, 2:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Well I guess someone at MS was actually listening to the DRM concerns.

Now if they'd address the stupid camera...
Old 06-19-2013, 3:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Still sticking with my 360 for the time being.

These were the right changes to make though, the X1 isn't on my "never buy list" anymore.

Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperX View Post
I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.
Old 06-19-2013, 3:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc1138 View Post
Well I guess someone at MS was actually listening to the DRM concerns.

Now if they'd address the stupid camera...
I don't think it has to do with them listening to jack, and their "Your Feedback Matters" on the official site is complete BS... I just think their pre-order numbers were tanking compared to projected numbers.

My concern is that they will jack-up the physical-media prices (25-40%?) to force more people to buy the DLC (if that is what it is to be called?) games, instead of physical media.
Old 06-19-2013, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
I don't think it has to do with them listening to jack, and their "Your Feedback Matters" on the official site is complete BS... I just think their pre-order numbers were tanking compared to projected numbers.

My concern is that they will jack-up the physical-media prices (25-40%?) to force more people to buy the DLC (if that is what it is to be called?) games, instead of physical media.
DLCs have come a long way and it is the preferred method for many PC gamers. It is convenient in that you don't have serial #'s and CD's to lose and it also promotes anti-piracy.

Steam and Origin are just a few examples of how successful DLC games can be. They are power house distributors now. Aside from that, it makes video games cost a lot less without the cost involved with developing boxes, media, and brick and mortar retail distribution strategies.
Mossberg MVP 16.25" .308 / Maverick Model 88 Security 8-Shot 12ga / Hunter O/U 12ga
Sphinx SDP Black Line 9mm
Walther PPK Interarms .380
Beretta 950B Minx .22 Short
Old 06-19-2013, 3:30 PM

There is still a few issues.

MS could come right back after launch, in a few months or a year and change how it works and put this stuff back in.

The game developers still have the option of restricting you from selling or trading your game. (or as they think of it their game) MS conveniently left that option for the game developers to do what they want with.

Then the issue of the kinect having to be on even if your not using it. I can see lots of potential privacy issues come up with this. I like the kinect and I have one on my 360 but when I'm not using it I unplug it. I dont see that we have that option with xboxone
Old 06-19-2013, 3:31 PM

Still switching to PS4... M$ done F'ed up on this one... I want to be able to play with NO camera watching me... And yes, I know they said you could tun it off but guess what, your cell phone while turned off can still be used to eavesdrop on you... You have to remove the battery. Can I unplug the Kinects and use the system? if not then no way in hell will I ever allow this in my house.
The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed.”
- Thomas Jefferson -
Quote:
200 bullets at a time......
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/198981/life01.jpg

Subscribe to my YouTube channel ---->http://www.youtube.com/user/2A4USA
Old 06-19-2013, 3:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Duh.

If it was just fanboys posting on forums and pre-ordering anyway, they wouldn't have cared. Consumers showed they were voting with their wallets and were vocal about why they were doing it, they listened.
Old 06-19-2013, 5:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Your feedback matters... LOL

Nice try.
Old 06-19-2013, 8:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobler View Post
Still switching to PS4... M$ done F'ed up on this one... I want to be able to play with NO camera watching me... And yes, I know they said you could tun it off but guess what, your cell phone while turned off can still be used to eavesdrop on you... You have to remove the battery. Can I unplug the Kinects and use the system? if not then no way in hell will I ever allow this in my house.
Just flip the camera around, and point it at a Kinko's full size image of this:

or something even iPhruitier...

A ban still makes all games and account null and void, not that I ever played on Live or know what it takes to get banned, but the possibility of losing all games you purchased and downloaded digitally makes me weary of DLC-purchases...

Last edited by the86d; 06-19-2013 at 8:29 PM..
Old 06-20-2013, 2:29 AM
CGSSA Associate

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/19/tech/g...ntent=My+Yahoo
Old 06-20-2013, 9:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
You know what, being thrifty... the PS4 would be a better option, assuming that the new Fallout is to be released on both consoles.

It would be MY first Sony PS console... and wait until the xBone is less than 2 c-notes.

I might as well get a device that we KNOW can probably watch Netflix without having to pay an ADDITIONAL yearly fee (as I don't play on Live) to use a device I already have paid for (if it works the same, but again: DETAILS UNKNOWN STILL).

Once again, you will have to pay for Sony Online as well. $50 per year...

But as far as MS goes, that is good news! Makes me like the Xbox One a little more Still considering getting a PS3-4 due to the fact that a few game titles that I like can only be played on that platform. Xbox One doesnt have any new games that Im interested in, that I cant play on Xbox 360. Same goes for PS4. Might as well just get a PS3.

Also, sometimes I type in CAPS to emphasize a POINT. Please dont interpret that as YELLING. Sorry if I HURT any fuzzy little bunny's FEELINGS out there.
Old 06-21-2013, 9:34 AM
CGN Contributor

So much Microsoft phail...
Old 06-21-2013, 2:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeaglory View Post

But as far as MS goes, that is good news! Makes me like the Xbox One a little more Still considering getting a PS3-4 due to the fact that a few game titles that I like can only be played on that platform. Xbox One doesnt have any new games that Im interested in, that I cant play on Xbox 360. Same goes for PS4. Might as well just get a PS3.
you only have to pay for online gaming. all other services will stay free.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/10/44...ultiplayer-ps4
Proof we can all comment on whatever we want no matter the topic at hand!
Old 06-21-2013, 2:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

"PS4 gamers who aren’t Plus members can still enjoy single-player games for free…and access to media services won’t require Plus"

I currently don't pay for a Live account, and don't plan on paying for any + services in the future. My time to play games is pretty limited, with 2 kids... a few hours I can get a week, max, usually single-player games. I have yet to find that Sarah Silverman "full-length-feature" with no gag-reflex too.

Last edited by the86d; 06-21-2013 at 2:52 PM..
Old 06-21-2013, 9:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
"PS4 gamers who aren’t Plus members can still enjoy single-player games for free…and access to media services won’t require Plus"

I currently don't pay for a Live account, and don't plan on paying for any + services in the future. My time to play games is pretty limited, with 2 kids... a few hours I can get a week, max, usually single-player games. I have yet to find that Sarah Silverman "full-length-feature" with no gag-reflex too.
Sweet! Thats how it should be!!

ChalK another one up for PS4! sORRY xBOX

EDIT: Are you joking about that Sarah Silverman video or does it really exist?

Also, sometimes I type in CAPS to emphasize a POINT. Please dont interpret that as YELLING. Sorry if I HURT any fuzzy little bunny's FEELINGS out there.
Old 06-22-2013, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawg View Post
There is still a few issues.

MS could come right back after launch, in a few months or a year and change how it works and put this stuff back in.

The game developers still have the option of restricting you from selling or trading your game. (or as they think of it their game) MS conveniently left that option for the game developers to do what they want with.

Then the issue of the kinect having to be on even if your not using it. I can see lots of potential privacy issues come up with this. I like the kinect and I have one on my 360 but when I'm not using it I unplug it. I dont see that we have that option with xboxone
Now that the cat is out of the bag, many people are now aware of M$ intentions. Many of the tech people are saying that all the bad stuff will be removed now. However, there is no guarantee it might come back in a future update and force it down the user's throat. Don't update, no you can't use your XBox!
Old 06-22-2013, 9:47 PM

This all falls under "fool me once, shame on you. fool me twice, shame on me" I for one am not going to be dumb enough to fall for M$ b.s. They made their intentions clear at E3, DRM and online check-in WILL come back at some point, likely after many have foolishly chosen to purchase their new console. I'm in no rush to buy the latest and greatest, but when I do, it will be from Sony.

"Moms Demand Action" sounds less like a gun control group and more like the title of a porn flick from the mid-90s.
Old 06-26-2013, 6:14 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
...EDIT: Are you joking about that Sarah Silverman video or does it really exist?
google "gangbang-with-cute-21yo-girl"
1st one that came up for me on youpr0n ... but that is just the money-shotS

Someone posted on how to find it on the latest Father's day youtube comedy she was in and it was the 1st comment... so I kept the link.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter2be View Post
This all falls under "fool me once, shame on you. fool me twice, shame on me" I for one am not going to be dumb enough to fall for M$ b.s. They made their intentions clear at E3, DRM and online check-in WILL come back at some point, likely after many have foolishly chosen to purchase their new console. I'm in no rush to buy the latest and greatest, but when I do, it will be from Sony.
This.

There is nothing stopping them from implementing this DRM tech once they sold enough units and not care about the loss of console sales.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rouge Recon View Post
This.

There is nothing stopping them from implementing this DRM tech once they sold enough units and not care about the loss of console sales.
Buy them used so M$ won't see another penny from the people who cared all along, and Gamestop will continue to flourish, we would just have to wait for some to be used, and I can do that... BUT what if they won't activate used systems for a new owner? We don't even know if they will, as activation is mandatory for function, but what about a second owner activation? Has anyone brought that up yet?
Old 06-26-2013, 1:05 PM

All of my friends who are xbox fanboys won't buy the one for many reasons. One reason is they want games not tied to directx. Direct x makes everything too ms exclusive and most of them have switched to ps3/4 and linux pc gaming since windows 8 was such a big failure for gamers especially ones who use usb devices or older hardware. Some keep windows7 or xp installed in other partitions to play antiquated games. I myself run Debian7,windows7,Ubuntu13.04

Most big videogame companies have converted to opengl3 c/c++ HTML5/JavaScript and dropped .net with the exception of some early mono versions. That way they can make a game for windows,mac,linux,ps4 and other platforms with only one source code using defines and profiles to automate builds. That leaves out xbox. Xbox gets less titles.