Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-06-2012, 9:07 PM
Farrier-1 Farrier-1 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 247
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default Why is the StopSB249 site down?

Was it hacked?
  #2  
Old 07-06-2012, 9:09 PM
hornswaggled's Avatar
hornswaggled hornswaggled is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,652
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Denial of Service attack apparently. I was just about to send a letter too.
__________________
NRA Endowment Member
SAF Defender's Club
  #3  
Old 07-06-2012, 9:14 PM
Bolillo's Avatar
Bolillo Bolillo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 451
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

Your Answer is Here

IBTL
__________________

Twitter: @Bolillo_SCZ
  #4  
Old 07-07-2012, 8:12 AM
Rock6.3's Avatar
Rock6.3 Rock6.3 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Shasta County California
Posts: 2,444
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

DDOS Attack.
Site has been moved.
Wait for the DNS to propagate then all will be well.
__________________
  #5  
Old 07-07-2012, 8:13 AM
Demonicspire Demonicspire is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 197
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Seems like kind of an odd thing to DDOS. I doubt most californians even know it exists. Maybe there are other issues involved. Could be it wasn't set up to handle the traffic its getting. Could be on the same range as something else getting attacked. There are also some bots/servers that can accidentally gum up your traffic if they are set to crawl your site. I even know someone who accidentally DDOS'ed themselves by using a google image link service wrong such that google kept going back through their site to retrieve images.
  #6  
Old 07-07-2012, 8:43 AM
Dantedamean's Avatar
Dantedamean Dantedamean is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,271
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonicspire View Post
Seems like kind of an odd thing to DDOS. I doubt most californians even know it exists. Maybe there are other issues involved. Could be it wasn't set up to handle the traffic its getting. Could be on the same range as something else getting attacked. There are also some bots/servers that can accidentally gum up your traffic if they are set to crawl your site. I even know someone who accidentally DDOS'ed themselves by using a google image link service wrong such that google kept going back through their site to retrieve images.
Ya, ether it's Yees office, the Brady bunch or it was an accident. I don't see many people doing a DDOS attack on this site.
I could be wrong, but my money is on the first two.
  #7  
Old 07-07-2012, 8:47 AM
HowardW56's Avatar
HowardW56 HowardW56 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,870
iTrader: 20 / 100%
Default

All of Geovario's servers have been under attack. Calguns.net had problems yesterday, it's OK now; Calguns Foundation was in&out yetserday, now it is fine, but the Wiki page won't load; StopSB249.org, got hammered, but it will be back...
__________________
  #8  
Old 07-07-2012, 8:53 AM
HowardW56's Avatar
HowardW56 HowardW56 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,870
iTrader: 20 / 100%
Default

It's BACK! (Partially)
__________________
  #9  
Old 07-07-2012, 9:06 AM
DrDavid's Avatar
DrDavid DrDavid is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SoCal (Riverside County)
Posts: 568
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

It should be back now.. For most people, at least.

Because of the old DNS settings, it can take up another 14 hours to fully propagate my changes. But, it should be more stable now.

DDoS sucks
__________________


David Wolf, REALTOR / Broker Associate

In SoCal? Need a REALTOR? Work with someone who shares your love of guns.

CCW LTC holder, NRA Lifetime member

CA BRE# 01420938
  #10  
Old 07-07-2012, 9:06 AM
Demonicspire Demonicspire is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 197
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I doubt it was Yee's office, say what you will, I doubt a senator has the technical knowledge, or malice to assault that site. It seems like kind of a petty thing to commit a federal crime over. So maybe anti-gun folks, or maybe just some random jerk who thought it was funny. Maybe a worm going crazy. As i said, could be any number of reasons.
  #11  
Old 07-07-2012, 9:44 AM
DrDavid's Avatar
DrDavid DrDavid is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SoCal (Riverside County)
Posts: 568
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonicspire View Post
I doubt it was Yee's office, say what you will, I doubt a senator has the technical knowledge, or malice to assault that site. It seems like kind of a petty thing to commit a federal crime over. So maybe anti-gun folks, or maybe just some random jerk who thought it was funny. Maybe a worm going crazy. As i said, could be any number of reasons.
DDoS attacks are typically against the hosting provider; not the site itself. They typically want some sort of a ransom paid. (It's all about money!)

Anyways, Yee's office isn't going to commit a crime to stop a protest site from existing. That's just stupid.

Also, if it WAS against the site, moving it would not have helped. Yet, it did. So, enough with the conspiracy theories, please.
__________________


David Wolf, REALTOR / Broker Associate

In SoCal? Need a REALTOR? Work with someone who shares your love of guns.

CCW LTC holder, NRA Lifetime member

CA BRE# 01420938
  #12  
Old 07-07-2012, 9:50 AM
Dantedamean's Avatar
Dantedamean Dantedamean is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,271
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDavid View Post
DDoS attacks are typically against the hosting provider; not the site itself. They typically want some sort of a ransom paid. (It's all about money!)

Anyways, Yee's office isn't going to commit a crime to stop a protest site from existing. That's just stupid.

Also, if it WAS against the site, moving it would not have helped. Yet, it did. So, enough with the conspiracy theories, please.
Ya because him and his office have such a great respect for the law.
Not saying his office did it, I'm just saying its not out of the realm of possibility.

Anyways. Good to know its working again.
  #13  
Old 07-07-2012, 9:54 AM
HowardW56's Avatar
HowardW56 HowardW56 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,870
iTrader: 20 / 100%
Default

I still can't get past the Home page, the only links that are working for me are the petition and donation pages... (Hosted elsewhere...)
__________________
  #14  
Old 07-07-2012, 9:56 AM
killathrilla killathrilla is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,333
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

Its a hack!!
  #15  
Old 07-07-2012, 10:03 AM
DrDavid's Avatar
DrDavid DrDavid is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SoCal (Riverside County)
Posts: 568
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardW56 View Post
I still can't get past the Home page, the only links that are working for me are the petition and donation pages... (Hosted elsewhere...)
OOPS!! That was my fault. Fixed now.
__________________


David Wolf, REALTOR / Broker Associate

In SoCal? Need a REALTOR? Work with someone who shares your love of guns.

CCW LTC holder, NRA Lifetime member

CA BRE# 01420938
  #16  
Old 07-07-2012, 10:19 AM
HowardW56's Avatar
HowardW56 HowardW56 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,870
iTrader: 20 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDavid View Post
OOPS!! That was my fault. Fixed now.

OK, just don't let it happen again......
__________________
  #17  
Old 07-07-2012, 10:31 AM
DrDavid's Avatar
DrDavid DrDavid is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SoCal (Riverside County)
Posts: 568
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardW56 View Post
OK, just don't let it happen again......
Darn missing .htaccess file with all my rewrite rules. Ugh.
__________________


David Wolf, REALTOR / Broker Associate

In SoCal? Need a REALTOR? Work with someone who shares your love of guns.

CCW LTC holder, NRA Lifetime member

CA BRE# 01420938
  #18  
Old 07-07-2012, 10:43 AM
hornswaggled's Avatar
hornswaggled hornswaggled is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,652
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

apachectrl -start!
__________________
NRA Endowment Member
SAF Defender's Club
  #19  
Old 07-07-2012, 10:56 AM
JSolie's Avatar
JSolie JSolie is offline
Snoot lickin' good!
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Murrieta, CA
Posts: 2,255
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Strange... I'm getting a "Parallels H-Sphere" "wrong host" message. Is this because of DNS propagation?
  #20  
Old 07-07-2012, 10:58 AM
DrDavid's Avatar
DrDavid DrDavid is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SoCal (Riverside County)
Posts: 568
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolie View Post
Strange... I'm getting a "Parallels H-Sphere" "wrong host" message. Is this because of DNS propagation?
Yeah, sorry.. I can't fix TTL issues.. They just need to time out. You can try resetting your router/computer -- that will force a refresh of the domain. But, barring that, wait 14 or so hours.
__________________


David Wolf, REALTOR / Broker Associate

In SoCal? Need a REALTOR? Work with someone who shares your love of guns.

CCW LTC holder, NRA Lifetime member

CA BRE# 01420938
  #21  
Old 07-07-2012, 10:58 AM
HowardW56's Avatar
HowardW56 HowardW56 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,870
iTrader: 20 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDavid View Post
Darn missing .htaccess file with all my rewrite rules. Ugh.
StopSb249.org is back... Calguns Foundation Wiki is still gone
__________________
  #22  
Old 07-07-2012, 11:03 AM
JSolie's Avatar
JSolie JSolie is offline
Snoot lickin' good!
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Murrieta, CA
Posts: 2,255
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDavid View Post
Yeah, sorry.. I can't fix TTL issues.. They just need to time out. You can try resetting your router/computer -- that will force a refresh of the domain. But, barring that, wait 14 or so hours.
No worries...I was just checking. I work in IT and it sometimes takes days for someone to report something broken because they thought someone else reported it. I'm sure you're familiar with this phenomenon...
  #23  
Old 07-07-2012, 11:05 AM
DrDavid's Avatar
DrDavid DrDavid is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SoCal (Riverside County)
Posts: 568
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolie View Post
No worries...I was just checking. I work in IT and it sometimes takes days for someone to report something broken because they thought someone else reported it. I'm sure you're familiar with this phenomenon...
If it's not actually reported broken, is it really broken at all?

Thanks for letting me know though
__________________


David Wolf, REALTOR / Broker Associate

In SoCal? Need a REALTOR? Work with someone who shares your love of guns.

CCW LTC holder, NRA Lifetime member

CA BRE# 01420938
  #24  
Old 07-07-2012, 11:57 AM
Librarian's Avatar
Librarian Librarian is offline
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Concord
Posts: 37,533
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Blog Entries: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardW56 View Post
StopSb249.org is back... Calguns Foundation Wiki is still gone
I got the wiki back last night, and I still have it this morning.
__________________
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.


  #25  
Old 07-07-2012, 12:08 PM
HowardW56's Avatar
HowardW56 HowardW56 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,870
iTrader: 20 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
I got the wiki back last night, and I still have it this morning.
And it just loaded for me....
__________________
  #26  
Old 07-07-2012, 6:36 PM
Snake9's Avatar
Snake9 Snake9 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 20
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Question Ready for Linkage?....

OK, so is it ready for me to create a log entry and link pointing to it on my blog then?....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDavid View Post
If it's not actually reported broken, is it really broken at all?

Thanks for letting me know though
__________________
(Pointing pistol)"Does that make you nervous"? (Response)"Guns don't make me nervous, they have their uses...It's idiots, like you, with guns that make me nervous!" (Charles Bronson - Line from the "Death Wish" movie series)
----------------------------------
News & Comment on all things Semi-Auto @:
http://semiautomaticheart.blogspot.com
----------------------------------
  #27  
Old 07-07-2012, 6:55 PM
badhabit90's Avatar
badhabit90 badhabit90 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Central Coast, CA
Posts: 575
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

it loaded for me and i signed the petition ....thank you sir...
  #28  
Old 07-07-2012, 8:38 PM
Librarian's Avatar
Librarian Librarian is offline
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Concord
Posts: 37,533
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Blog Entries: 6
Default

Since it appears that DrDavid took appropriate measures to survive the DDOS, thread done.
__________________
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.



Last edited by Librarian; 07-07-2012 at 10:12 PM..
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:24 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
Calguns.net and The Calguns Foundation have no affiliation and are in no way related to each other.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.