Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 06-14-2012, 1:36 PM

Default Vz/24 Stock

Hello guys,

I had a question regarding VZ.24 stocks. Will a 7mm contract stock fit on a 8mm standard length Vz.24 barreled action? I'm not sure it the difference in ring size or caliber will affect the fit.
Old 06-14-2012, 1:44 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNally M. View Post
I had a question regarding VZ.24 stocks. Will a 7mm contract stock fit on a 8mm standard length Vz.24 barreled action?
Not necessarily...

The 7mm Magazine is shorter in internal length. Plus, you have to be careful because some of the 7mm trigger guards have different screw lengths than 98k Mausers, which the Vz24 is ("Large Ring, Long Action").

What did the 7mm stock come off of?
Old 06-14-2012, 5:54 PM

Not sure, I see one going for sale on an online auction and I like it for the notch that it has cut for a bent bolt. But I don't know whether its a safe bet to buy it should it end up not fitting my 8mm barreled action.
Old 06-14-2012, 9:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNally M. View Post
Not sure, I see one going for sale on an online auction and I like it for the notch that it has cut for a bent bolt. But I don't know whether its a safe bet to buy it should it end up not fitting my 8mm barreled action.
It might not...

Ask the seller what it came off of. We'll be able to give you a better idea.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member

Unless I'm missing something in the question, the caliber has no effect on the stock fit. The 24 is a standard length action, same as a 98. 7mm or 8mm, it uses the same trigger guard, screws, and magazine follower.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAP55 View Post
Unless I'm missing something in the question, the caliber has no effect on the stock fit. The 24 is a standard length action, same as a 98. 7mm or 8mm, it uses the same trigger guard, screws, and magazine follower.
Not always...

For example, if that stock came off a 1910 Mexican, the trigger guard screws would be off because the distance between the two is 7.620" instead of 7.835", like it is on a 98k. Furthermore, if it is a "Large Ring, Long Action" 7mm, like a Brazilian 1908, the magazine might be shorter in length and inletting might be required.

McNally either needs to find out what rifle the stock came off of, or what the trigger guard screw length is between the two screws.

Last edited by CEDaytonaRydr; 06-15-2012 at 12:02 AM..
Old 06-15-2012, 10:19 AM

Oh well I'm certain it came off a standard length 7mm contract VZ.24. It has every cue to hint toward being just that. So I know its from a VZ.24, I'm just unsure if it'll fit an 8mm VZ. 24
Old 06-15-2012, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEDaytonaRydr View Post
Not always...

For example, if that stock came off a 1910 Mexican, the trigger guard screws would be off because the distance between the two is 7.620" instead of 7.835", like it is on a 98k. Furthermore, if it is a "Large Ring, Long Action" 7mm, like a Brazilian 1908, the magazine might be shorter in length and inletting might be required.
But neither a 1910 Mexican nor a 1908 Brazilian are VZ 24s

The only bent bolt 7mm VZ 24s I have seen are like mine, with a K98 type recess on the right side for the bolt handle.

Mine looks like exactly like this one:
http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/mau...g-g-grade.html
Old 06-15-2012, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member

I have a VZ24 stock for sale if interested.

Last edited by 6mmintl; 06-18-2012 at 7:54 PM..
Old 06-15-2012, 3:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEDaytonaRydr View Post
Not always...

McNally either needs to find out what rifle the stock came off of, or what the trigger guard screw length is between the two screws.
A 1910 Mexican would be an intermediate length, small ring, 98 action. McNally already stated the stock came off of a VZ-24, and the only difference between the gun going into it, and the one that came out of it, was the caliber, and that has no bearing on the fit.
BTW...it would also fit into a Brazilian 1908 or vice versa, they are both "standard length" 98 actions, same as a 98K, and all have the same screw spacing. Barrel steps, rear sight placement, and hand guard attachment can vary.
A "long" or "magnum" action Mauser is a commercial made magnum action. There is also a rare pre-war "Kurtz" action, much like the current CZ Mini Mauser, but made with full size parts, shortened up.
Here's a good reference guide we've helped Dave at Hoosier Gunworks put together:
http://www.hoosiergunworks.com/catal...reference.html