Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 02-16-2012, 8:20 AM
CGSSA Board Secretary
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default HK MR762 Barrel Length - Why 16.5"?

Thinking about this HK rifle in .308, its now emerging availability, and its direct competitors (no "roll your owns"), it seems odd to me HK is only offering a 16.5" barrel length when the others offer 16", 18" and even 20" (LaRue, LMT, etc.).

Based on my primitive understanding, a 18" or 20" barrel would allow the .308 round to perform better (more velocity thus leading to likely better longer range accuracy and "punch") when compared to 16.5" barrel. But I have no fact to back this up. And I suspect HK knows much more about this than I do so they've got a reason for the 16.5" length.

Anyone have some theories? Thoughts? Facts?

TIA.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Chicane View Post
Thinking about this HK rifle in .308, its now emerging availability, and its direct competitors (no "roll your owns"), it seems odd to me HK is only offering a 16.5" barrel length when the others offer 16", 18" and even 20" (LaRue, LMT, etc.).

Based on my primitive understanding, a 18" or 20" barrel would allow the .308 round to perform better (more velocity thus leading to likely better longer range accuracy and "punch") when compared to 16.5" barrel. But I have no fact to back this up. And I suspect HK knows much more about this than I do so they've got a reason for the 16.5" length.

Anyone have some theories? Thoughts? Facts?

TIA.
I'd assume that they added the .5" to be conservative on the legality side. Minimum length is 16" for a rifle, and the .5" is the insurance.

While longer barrels allow the .308 to perform better at greater ranges, those length barrels are heavier and move the center of mass forward. These are features that are advantageous for a designated marksmarksman, but make manipulation and target acquisition slower.

Think of it like a SOCOM16 in the AR platform.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:21 AM

The shorter barrel should appeal to LE and Military for obvious reasons. I see can see the carbine version being well suited for a patrol rifle in a squad car, but others would say a 308 is overkill. Hell, when the situation requires the use of a long gun, might as well pack a bigger punch.
Come ON. They will charge you for the KY jelly btw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munny$hot View Post
I love French rifles most "Brand new only dropped once"
Old 02-16-2012, 1:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Def intended as a patrol set up, not a DMR. Its plenty heavy as is too.