Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 02-13-2012, 1:27 PM

Default What influences accuracy in a modern semi auto pistol?

I've always been told that any handgun is more accurate than the user. So I can't figure out why I see such a difference going between my Glock and a friends Sigma.

We set up Clay's on stands, and shoot from between 7-12 yards away. None of us are pro's by any means, but with the Sigma we considered it good to hit all 3 within a full clip. We thought we were all just awful But now that I have my Glock 34, we shoot through all three and go back for any small pieces we left behind too. Total night and day difference. Is it really just a better sight picture from that extra inch that is contributing so much?

I mean, the barrel is straight, so aiming seems like it really amounts to trigger control so the gun is actually aiming where you want it when the round starts moving. Or am I missing something? I watched to see if our grip was changing from one gun to the next, and it didn't.

What else is contributing to accuracy in a modern polymer? Help this noob out
Old 02-13-2012, 1:48 PM

Tightness of fit between barrel, slide, fame, rails, headpsace, lands and bullet.

However, the biggest factor is the shooter. If one gun is your "magic" gun; you'll probably shoot better with it. It's like the old myth of corked baseball bats. From a strictly mechanical standpoint they are actually worse than a full-wood bat at hitting a ball farther; however, the IDEA of something being better or magical is enough to make YOU better with it. Some people really do run faster after taking snake oil because they think they can.

More familiarity with the gun, awareness of recoil expectations and not flinching will all make you shoot well.
Old 02-13-2012, 1:50 PM

It's probably the trigger pull...
Sigma is considered by many that has a terrible trigger system, with 9lb trigger weight.

For the same reason, I dropped my XD trigger from 6.5lb to 4lb...
Old 02-13-2012, 2:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Off a rest, they would likely be very close inaccuracy, but when shooting handheld, the greatest factor will almost always be trigger control.

Unless you have an unusually good trigger in the Sigma or you have superior trigger skills, that is likely the major difference. A gritty trigger will cause many folks to jerk through it to the trigger break point
Old 02-13-2012, 2:38 PM
Calguns Addict

1) Grip / Skills
2) Pistol
3) Ammo
Old 02-13-2012, 2:51 PM

Outside of the shooter, consistent lockup is a huge factor.
Old 02-13-2012, 3:02 PM

I've found that my Sig P6 tends to be easier to shoot accurately than my Beretta 92 in single-action. The single-action trigger on the P6 has a more "crisp" break, while the Beretta has some creep before dropping the hammer.

Shooting the same guns in double-action, the Beretta tends to be more accurate because the double-action is very smooth, while the Sig's double-action trigger is a bit more gritty.

I realize that this is a very limited example, but every gun will have its own unique feel. The trick is either figuring out which gun's quirks work best for you, or training yourself to maximize your accuracy with whatever platforms you may have.
Old 02-13-2012, 3:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The nut holding it.
Old 02-13-2012, 6:44 PM
Calguns Addict

The same thing that influenced the old fashion semi auto!!!!