Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 09-25-2010, 9:27 PM

Default Talk me outta a Fulton Armory decked out Garand?

I've wanted a Garand for a long time, looked at the CMP garands but I just can't stand the idea of spending 500+ for a tore up old arsenal gun. For 1500-1800 I can get a completely refinished Garand with Krieger barrel,new stock and refinsihed action. Or should I re-barrel and refinish a beater garand (and get 2.0 MOA or better outta the rifle? (and wait 2 years for smith to get it done.)

Are there any other options as far as getting a nice Garand? SA doesnt sell them anymore as near as I can tell.
Old 09-25-2010, 9:35 PM
Calguns Addict

the garand I have from CMP is as decent shooter as the Fulton Armories that I have seen on the line. Not better accuracy but comparable.

I havent seen any beater garands from CMP other then a run they had a few years ago when they were fetching around 200.00 a rifle. Most rifles they offer are good shooters and look great IMO.

You could get a kreiger barrel and put it on yourself and save a few hundred dollars.

Damn....another case of TDS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ajunkie View Post
So CG doesnít like getting banned, interesting

Ahhhhhhhhhhh! Man that was some great Kool-Aid.......... hmmmmmm theres a hint of something metallic. Oh well guess I will get on with the voting.

Old 09-25-2010, 9:40 PM
Calguns Addict

another option http://dgrguns.com/index.htm
Old 09-25-2010, 9:43 PM
Veteran Member

there are better things you cuold buy with that money like another gun safe, more ammo and maybe even something not related to guns. Like get a payment ahead on your house or a down payment on a car.
Old 09-25-2010, 9:44 PM

If you want someone to talk you out of it I have to ask, do you really want it?

I committed to donating at least 10 measly bucks a month to the CalGuns Foundation.
Old 09-25-2010, 9:44 PM
The Clip guy
CGN Contributor

i also recommend the DGR guns route
Old 09-25-2010, 9:54 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Northern Mexico(San Jose) Where illegals have rights and citizens get screwed

I wouldn't buy a Fulton just because they bowed to the DOJ's threats when the OLL stuff first got started. Screw Fulton.

http://www.lrbarms.com/m14rifles.html

Do yourself a favor, have LRB build you a M25 on a REAL USA FORGED RECEIVER.
The money is worth it.
The others, well......they just never learn.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
Patrick Henry.
Old 09-25-2010, 9:59 PM

CMP Special...

5.8M Springfield Armory Receiver with a brand new Wilson Arms barrel, new walnut stock (tight), fully refinished (parkerized), Turner Saddlery sling, en bloc clip, chamber flag, and a certificate with your name on it. I paid $895 three years ago.

I think the current ones are running $995 with Criterion barrels. Wood comes bone dry. So, be prepared to buy some cheese cloth and boiled linseed oil from the hardware store, and spend the next ten days rubbing wood.

http://www.thecmp.org/m1garand.htm

Last edited by 8200rpm; 09-25-2010 at 10:01 PM..
Old 09-25-2010, 10:53 PM
Calguns Addict

8200RPM----+1 They look good and shoot good. Or you could get a Correct Grade. The 2 that I bought look to be unused. Even the dozen Service grades I got have all been pretty nice and real GI. Not some commercial rebuilt with no history. BUT that is just me and what I like.

I say buy what YOU like and not worry about what others think.
Old 09-26-2010, 1:52 AM
Calguns Addict

Get the CMP service grade or higher and you won't be disappointed. My service grade SA cost me $595 and it is definitely NOT a "beater" The metal was in excellent condition and the wood was solid. The wood looks used but adds to the rifle's character. For $150 you can get all new wood from the CMP. The CMP Special grade is only $995 and they look like new.

I love my Garand.

LASD Retired
1978-2011

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 09-26-2010, 8:53 AM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
I've wanted a Garand for a long time, looked at the CMP garands but I just can't stand the idea of spending 500+ for a tore up old arsenal gun.
A "tore up old arsenal gun"? Are you serious?

Here are examples of what your fellow Calgunners have gotten from the CMP

CMP Service Grade $595

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=252709

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=263693

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...=252180&page=2 (the rifle above is still covered in cosmoline, hence its greasy appearance)

CMP Special Grade $895

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=297213
Old 09-26-2010, 9:41 AM

Well, with Suzee Orman's admonitions to pay off my house taken under advisement (I have 7 years left to pay on my mortgage! And I have no car payments, and soon no CC debt,-woot), to get back on topic, I don't really mean talk me outta ANY Garand, I'm gonna get one, perhaps I should have re-phrased the Q, Are there better alternatives to the Fulton Armory refinished rifles? I must admit, I didnt realize the CMP rifles were coming in that nice a condition nowadays. My first experience with DCM rifles was back in the 80's (before most Calgunners had even heard of CMP/DCM programs BTW) and they were rough looking. Good shooters, but rough cosmetically. What can I say; I like all my guns to look new and I'm willing to pay for it. Thanks for the leads on the other manufacturers/builders. But it looks like LRB does not make garands (they have nice looking M-14's though) The DGR guns link looks like a good option though.

Thanks for the Garand tips and financial planning advice!
Old 09-26-2010, 10:37 AM

CMP is the way to go, hands down. Save the money
Old 09-26-2010, 11:47 AM

Do some research, as long as you are eligible to purchase a Garand from the CMP (not everyone is), it's the only way to go. Don't even consider any of the commercial outlets. The CMP offers nearly every grade rifle you could want. But, since it sounds like you want a shooter that is fully refinished/remanufactured to be like new, the CMP Special is probably your best choice; it also 2/3 the price of a similiar commercial rifle, and IMO put together by more skilled and engaged technicians.

Another option is to buy a service grade rifle from the CMP, and refinish it yourself. All you need is about $40 of hardware from Home Depot and/or a restuarant supply company and a jug of parkerizing solution from Brownells. The process is nearly foolproof, you're learn alot more about your piece of history, and you discover a whole new arena of shooting and firearms.

Finally, if you want something really special, check out the auctions on the CMP site; imagine being able to purchase a never issued Garand straight out of an arsenal crate.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member

If you are willing to go the whole-hog route ala Fulton,and want one that SHOOTS, have it built by Tom Luhmann or Clint Fowler.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:10 PM
CGN Contributor

While Fulton does an OK job you're really paying a premium price for a name. The recent CMP guns are in amazing condition and are the best deal for the money you can find.

My opinion (FWIW) is DGR gives you a higher level of personal service & an awesome finished product when compared to Fulton. Some other choices are; The Garand Guy (http://www.garandguy.com/issuegrade.htm) I bought one of his super premium grade rifles in 2005, I don't think it has as good a finish as a DGR rifle, it has a decent re-park job, but it is one of my best shooters.

The only other place I would consider buying from is Orion 7 (http://www.m1garandrifle.com/Garandrifles.htm) owned by Anthony Pucci Jr. I've never seen one of their rifles but I've heard good things about them, he's the current co-chairman of the board for the Garand Collectors Assoc. and one of the original members so he knows something about the rifles.
Be careful though, I was only going to buy one or two shooters and now I have 6
Old 09-26-2010, 4:15 PM

Another good place to look is miltech
Old 09-26-2010, 4:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8200rpm View Post
and spend the next ten days rubbing wood.
That should not present a problem for most people on here.

The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence.' and that `Property is surely a right of mankind as real as liberty.'
- John Adams

http://www.usdebtclock.org/
Old 09-26-2010, 4:39 PM
Veteran Member

I have a Custom 308 West Texas Armoury which is a safe queen for sale if you are really interested, it's an HRA and price is $1300, new stock, all parts same color parkerized. I haven'tshot it since I got it about 4 years ago.
Old 09-26-2010, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8200rpm View Post
CMP Special...

5.8M Springfield Armory Receiver with a brand new Wilson Arms barrel, new walnut stock (tight), fully refinished (parkerized), Turner Saddlery sling, en bloc clip, chamber flag, and a certificate with your name on it. I paid $895 three years ago.

I think the current ones are running $995 with Criterion barrels. Wood comes bone dry. So, be prepared to buy some cheese cloth and boiled linseed oil from the hardware store, and spend the next ten days rubbing wood.

http://www.thecmp.org/m1garand.htm
CMP Special Grade.....the only reason you need for not buying a Garand from Fulton Armory. It's the best deal out there. Get one before it's too late.
Old 09-26-2010, 5:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
I wouldn't buy a Fulton just because they bowed to the DOJ's threats when the OLL stuff first got started. Screw Fulton.

http://www.lrbarms.com/m14rifles.html

Do yourself a favor, have LRB build you a M25 on a REAL USA FORGED RECEIVER.
The money is worth it.
^^^
I hate to agree because i love fulton products, but they do continue to not ship legal products directly to CA.
Old 09-26-2010, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrippledPidgeon View Post
Another good place to look is miltech
Miltech is nice but, way too much money. A much better deal can be had through the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP), particularly if you order the special grade. Besides that, why pay a bunch more money for a wooden box?

By the way about 12 years ago, I bought a IBM M1 Carbine from Miltech. It's nice and I like it but I wouldn't buy another product from Miltech now that I know about what's available from CMP. I do however, like their 1941 semi-auto Johnson .30-06's but jeeze.......that's alot of money.