Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 09-22-2010, 7:26 PM

Default Issues sliding Troy Rail covers on/off DD Omega - Handguard Cap Blocking Rail

Hey guys,

I just installed my DD omega and I went to slide on the troy rail cover and the little triangle thing and delta ring in the back prevent it from being done easily. Is this normal?
I managed to shove them in but as you can see in the images it won't come off anymore w/o some bending?

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/5733/img4820w.jpg
http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/829/img4821ut.jpg

Last edited by zoglog; 09-22-2010 at 10:27 PM..
Old 09-22-2010, 7:54 PM

You have installed it backward. Look at Troy's link: http://store.troyind.com/Firearms_Ra...rc-30bt-00.htm
Tanner
Old 09-22-2010, 8:12 PM

it shouldnt matter each way. The issue is that triangle ring in the front. both front and back are the same thickness.
Old 09-22-2010, 8:26 PM

Why don't you just turn your handguard cap a little to fit the covers?

Edit: What are you doing with a triangle handguard cap anyway? I would just take buy a round handguard cap, take the gas block off (two allen screws which can be seen in your photo) install new cap, then put gas block back on. Once you've purchased the new cap, install shouldn't take more than 10 minutes.

Last edited by slomofo; 09-22-2010 at 8:30 PM..
Old 09-22-2010, 10:05 PM

handguard cap can't turn, gas tube is in it.

what am I doing with it, it came with the BCM upper
I've seen other DD omega setups w/ the triangle cap which is what had me puzzled.

Wow it's even worse now. I was able to shove them in, but now the handguard cap has blocked it off from being removed O.o!
Only real solution I can think of is pushing out the front sight gas block, moving the cap forward and then sliding out the rails.

It seems kind of weird to me that this is even an issue?! might just go with the magpul xtm guard due to this as i'm not sure a round handguard cap would take up less area?

in this image the guy seems to have cut a gap in his handguard cap to allow for the rail to slide on, I'm surprised I can't find any info on this, been searching around.

Last edited by zoglog; 09-22-2010 at 10:30 PM..
Old 09-22-2010, 10:40 PM

I had the same problem as you with my DD rail. I had to angle it to slide onto the rail. To take it off, I just snap it off from the sides. No damage to the rail or the covers.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFShooter23 View Post
I had the same problem as you with my DD rail. I had to angle it to slide onto the rail. To take it off, I just snap it off from the sides. No damage to the rail or the covers.
Hmm tried to snap off from the side, they're in there pretty tight. Pretty sure i'll snap the plastic if I go any harder.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:17 PM

It is tight and you have to use some force. Start from one corner and work your way. That's the only way for me to get the covers off. If it does break, I'll send you one of mines.

Last edited by FFShooter23; 09-22-2010 at 11:21 PM..
Old 09-22-2010, 11:59 PM

I forgot about the gas tube hole in the handguard cap. I haven't ran handguard caps in years, so...

Anyway, I'm not too familiar with non-free floating rails. It kinda looks like it's held together by the two screws in the sides. If this is the case, can you just remove the handguard cap all together?
Old 09-23-2010, 5:20 AM

DD Omega is free-float...it attaches to the barrel nut. It doesn't touch the handguard cap at all, so I guess you could remove the cap fairly easily.

I use XTM covers on mine and love 'em!
Old 09-23-2010, 5:34 AM
Veteran Member

I just got the troy covers ( Really like them by the way ) for my lightweight 16" upper , now I am glad it came with the round cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner View Post
You have installed it backward. Look at Troy's link: http://store.troyind.com/Firearms_Ra...rc-30bt-00.htm
Tanner
Half of troy's webpage pics show them one way , the other half show them another

http://store.troyind.com/Firearms_Ra...rc-33bt-00.htm

Last edited by shadowofnight; 03-08-2011 at 9:39 AM..
Old 09-23-2010, 9:06 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm just glad to hear I didnt get a faulty unit or I installed the freefloat somehow incorrectly.

Easy enough fix to get it out, but it looks like magpul XTM panels might be the way to go since those are meant to snapon. Otherwise i'll look for another handguard cap, but while it's cheap it'll be a pain to remove the flash hider to get it off w/o a vise -_-

Given how widespread these rails are, I was surprised how little info there was about this. If I knew I would have just gotten a notched handguard cap to begin with or asked BCM to send one w/ my order. shipping for one is $7.95 while the product is $3 lol
Old 09-23-2010, 4:36 PM

XTMs and the XT or rail ladders are the only rail covers that will easily go in a DD omega. XTM being two piece that you just snap in place and the XT and ladders are soft enough to twist in. The others like Troy is hard plastic/polymer(?) that needs to be slide from the front end. You can cut and file the triangle cap to allow some room for your rail cover to slide through.