Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 04-16-2006, 9:47 PM

Default Yugo AK underfolder build

I picked up a couple of Yugo underfolder receivers and kits, and have been trying to figure out the easiest way to convert them to CA legal. I think I may have come up with something.

To keep them semiauto, I'd have to pin the stock to keep it at least 30", so it doesn't get classified as an AW based on length. I would also have to either remove the pistol grip, or pin the magazine.

The only way I can see keeping these features, is to make it not semiauto. I was trying to come up with all sorts of ways to remove the gas piston, then I realized the obvious. The Yugo has a gas shutoff valve that is attached to the grenade sight. If I unscrew that valve, and replace it with one that is plugged, that should make it no longer fire as semi-auto, correct? If so, I could build this with the folding stock intact, as well as the pistol grip and detachable magazine. The only other things I would need to change out are the 922 compliance parts.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:20 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I just fixed the magazine - cut out the top, rear of the magazine release bit on the trigger guard assembly. Put a nut behind the magazine release, and then bottom out the release with a bolt that runs through the nut.

I didn't know the Yugos had a gas cutoff screw, do you know the specs to it? I'dbe interested in changing mine out.

I bought a Red Star Arms adjustable 2-stage trigger/hammer/sear for my AK and it is incredible. I highly recommend it.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:33 PM
In Memoriam

Yes, you could have a gunsmith modify or create a new valve that does not let any gas through AND remove the gas piston.

That's actually not a bad idea.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenophobe
Yes, you could have a gunsmith modify or create a new valve that does not let any gas through AND remove the gas piston.

That's actually not a bad idea.
Why remove the gas piston? When the valve is closed, there is no gas to operate the piston.

I wasn't planning on getting a gunsmith to do it though. If I can't find an aluminum spacer the right size, I'll make one on the lathe at work.
Old 04-17-2006, 5:00 PM

I will have to try this out at the range to make sure it works. But I managed to find an almost perfect replacement for the gas cutoff valve. The diameter is correct, the shoulder of it is just a hair too long, but that can be corrected with another washer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S_DSC00466.JPG (15.3 KB, 62 views)
Old 04-17-2006, 6:15 PM

I permanently fixed one of mine to single shot, I filled the gas block with high temp silver solder, plugging the hole. I also then cut down the gas piston so it wouldnt allow it to get pushed back if the plug were to come loose.

The kit was a very poor polish kit $70 so I didnt waste to much modifing it.

The gas shutoff on the Yugo seems to sound OK but I would be concerned LEO/DoJ would say it would be to easy/tempting to open it up and have a illegal AK. Similar to the mag release, gas system should require tools or be permanent. Just my .02 on this one.
Old 04-17-2006, 7:32 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMan
Why remove the gas piston? When the valve is closed, there is no gas to operate the piston.
So if you get shoulder tapped, your dissassembled rifle won't have the gas piston, a necessary part of the AK semi-automatic action....
Old 04-17-2006, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayoutwest
The gas shutoff on the Yugo seems to sound OK but I would be concerned LEO/DoJ would say it would be to easy/tempting to open it up and have a illegal AK. Similar to the mag release, gas system should require tools or be permanent. Just my .02 on this one.
This gas system mod does require tools. The valve is a cylindrical one. I removed it, and replaced it with that shouldered bolt. You need 2 wrenches to remove the bolt. Then when you remove the bolt, you still have no gas system. There is a huge opening there, and the gas will escape out that rather than move the piston. In order to make it operable, you'd have to reinstall the gas valve. Don't have the gas valve on you, and it'd be pretty hard to get to work. This is at least as much work as the fixed mag kits you are describing.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:21 PM

Don't mean to threadjack but what if we just sit on the parts kit and receiver and wait and hope to get it listed. Is there a chance we can build them to AW status after the list?
Old 04-17-2006, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootcamp
Don't mean to threadjack but what if we just sit on the parts kit and receiver and wait and hope to get it listed. Is there a chance we can build them to AW status after the list?
If you want to discuss maybe could be possibly, the legal forum is the best place to get that answered.

IF they list them(and I think they will), and IF the receiver you picked up happens to be one of the ones listed, and IF they don't try to pull that Cat. 4 crap like in that memo, then you could build them up to AW status after you registered it. Anything else, and you are taking your chances. But these have been all hashed over many times in the legal forum, with nothing but a bunch of tin foil hat conspiracy theories to show as the result.

Personally, since the mod I am doing is fairly easy, and I am comfortable with how compliant it is, I will finish building mine up.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayoutwest
DOJ's concern on this matter is irrelevant. If it does not operate in a semi-automatic fashion, it isn't semiautomatic. PERIOD. There **IS NO CONSTRUCTIVE POSSESSION OF AN AW**

In the case of the Yugo, I would try to buy a spare gas valve, and weld the hole shut ont he spare part, or weld your original- it can be drilled should you ever leave the state- just write down the hole diameter.

No need to do anything more than you legally need to do.

it's tougher on regular AK's since there's not an easily modifiable part, i.e. the gas selector.

-Dave
Old 04-18-2006, 12:49 AM
Veteran Member

If I were any of you, I would not have the parts to make a complete AR/AK in illegal configuration. Removing the piston? Get rid of it. Altering a part? Make sure you have no others. Even if uninstalled, do NOT have the parts to build one into a full rifle.

If you think I am over doing it, buy a AR pistol barrel without an AR pistol...
Old 04-18-2006, 1:59 AM
Calguns Addict

WHY? DOJ has already SPECIFICALLY said that if you remove a threaded barrel from a pistol (say USP tactical, P22), and store it next to the pistol, it's not an AW unless IT IS INSTALLED. PERIOD. It don't get clearer than that.

Your AR pistol upper is wholly irrelevant. It regards FEDERAL law, were constructivve possession applies with machine guns and SBR's. State AW law does not have constructive possession. Period. This has already been discussed- time for the search function, and less fearmongering.

-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoWeird
If I were any of you, I would not have the parts to make a complete AR/AK in illegal configuration. Removing the piston? Get rid of it. Altering a part? Make sure you have no others. Even if uninstalled, do NOT have the parts to build one into a full rifle.

Old 04-18-2006, 9:07 AM

Quote:
So then when you build your AR, you are either going to be tossing out all your magazine release springs, or pistol grips? Mail them to me, I'd be happy to properly dispose of them, and I don't charge much either
Old 04-18-2006, 4:54 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:

You don't have to get RID of it - just have family or a friend hold onto it. I have a little box of leftover AK FCG parts stored at my grandparents' place. While I think one would have to modify the receiver to make them fit and function, that's still federal constructive possession territory so they don't stay in the same place as my rifles, ever.

Leaving them in a box 35 miles away in a room I don't have a key to, should satisfy the federal guidelines.

Last edited by grammaton76; 04-18-2006 at 4:56 PM..