Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:43 PM

Default Bar-Sto vs. Jarvis vs. KKM for G34

I'm trying to eek out some better groups from my G34. Already added the Zev Tech Fulcrum trigger (2.0 lb.) and Dawson Precision sights. Groups improved a bit and are decent, but not as good as they could be. I'm considering replacing the barrel with either a Bar-Sto, Jarvis or KKM. I'll likely go with handfitting at the factory just to get the best lockup and barrel tension. Does anyone have any experience with these barrels? Any one better than the other? Preferences? Thanks.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:56 PM

Hand fitted is worth it from what I have heard, but it takes a while. Since you are trying to build the most accurate gun you can, I would try it. IMHO, unless you get it fitted, it is not going to really matter which manufacturer you go with. They are all high quality.

Have you put it in a rest, used sandbags or otherwise tried to figure out how accurate it is currently to make sure it is the gun that is not meeting your expectations and not the shooter?

I know someone is going to say it, so I might as well. A G34 is a very accurate gun, but is not a bullseye gun and trying to turn it into one might prove to have diminishing returns and will be expensive.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:58 PM
In Memoriam

Jimrod how small are your groups at what distance?

When I hit the lotto I'm only shooting factory.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:08 AM

Yes I have tried shooting from a sand bag. At 11 yds, best group size is about 1-1/4" at extremes for a five shot group using several brands of ammo and bullet weights. By comparison, my Sig X-Five, Sig Super Match, and EAA Witness Elite Ltd will put them all inside a quarter at the same range from a sand bag. I shoot an awful lot and while the G34 is accurate, it could be better IMO.
Old 06-16-2010, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrod View Post
Yes I have tried shooting from a sand bag. At 11 yds, best group size is about 1-1/4" at extremes for a five shot group using several brands of ammo and bullet weights. By comparison, my Sig X-Five, Sig Super Match, and EAA Witness Elite Ltd will put them all inside a quarter at the same range from a sand bag. I shoot an awful lot and while the G34 is accurate, it could be better IMO.
It should do a lot better than 1.25" at 11yd even with the factory barrel. Something is definitely not right. Maybe it just doesn't like the ammo you are running. Although, I never consciously measured mine for groups, with my drop in KKM and my reloads it easily exceeds what you seem to be getting. When I try, I can do around an inch or less offhand at that distance, so the gun is definitely capable.

Last edited by nn3453; 06-16-2010 at 6:45 AM..
Old 06-16-2010, 5:52 AM

The other pistols you mention are either single action only or SA/DA. Sometimes, people are better with that type of pistol than a DA only like a glock or something similar. I shoot my 1911s way better than I do my glocks or XDs. The Glocks have fitted Jarvis barrels on them. I'm not saying your no good withy your Glocks, just saying that the trigger may be what's throwing you off a little because of the long travel.

JMO
Old 06-16-2010, 7:15 AM
Calguns Addict

I have experience with all three barrels, but not all in a Glock. I used a KKM and Jarvis barrel in a Glock 24. I used a Jarvis in a HK USP and a Bar-Sto in a S&W 4506. I had the barrels fitted to the guns by the barrel manufacturers.

The KKM gave me 1" groups at 25 yards. The Jarvis gave me no better accuracy than the stock barrel as did the Bar-Sto in the S&W.

This is not to say that the Bar-Sto is bad. It is a wonderfullly beautiful barrel, just not appropriate for a loose sloppy gun. The Jarvis barrels had visibly off-center chambers in two examples now, so I won't be buying anymore. Also, when I asked Jarvis what the difference in dimensions was between their drop-in and fitted, they told me it was "proprietary". This kind of attitude won't earn any customers.

I'd go with Bar-Sto or KKM. I really like Bar-Sto for its precise machining and broach-cut rifling which is perfect for lead bullets. But KKM is capable of 1" at 25 yards out of a Glock! Whatever you pick should make you happy.

Last edited by J-cat; 06-16-2010 at 8:45 PM.. Reason: Brain Fart
Old 06-16-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-cat View Post
I have experience with all three barrels, but not all in a Glock. I used a KKM and Jarvis barrel in a Glock 24. I used a Jarvis in a HK USP and a Bar-Sto in a S&W 4506. I had the barrels fitted to the guns by the barrel manufacturers.

The KKM gave me 1" groups at 25 yards. The Jarvis gave me no better accuracy than the stock barrel as did the Bar-Sto in the S&W.

This is not to say that the Bar-Sto is bad. It is a wonderfullly beautiful barrel, just not appropriate for a loose sloppy gun. The KKM barrels had visibly off-center chambers in two examples now, so I won't be buying anymore. Also, when I asked KKM what the difference in dimensions was between their drop-in and fitted, they told me it was "proprietary". This kind of attitude won't earn any customers.

I'd go with Bar-Sto or KKM. I really like Bar-Sto for its precise machining and broach-cut rifling which is perfect for lead bullets. But KKM is capable of 1" at 25 yards out of a Glock! Whatever you pick should make you happy.

Good info, but not sure what you're saying with regards to KKM. You appear unhappy with the KKM barrel's offset center chambers and wouldn't buy them again yet you are recommending them? Also, was the KKM in your Glock fitted by the manufacturer or a drop-in? Thanks

Last edited by jimrod; 06-16-2010 at 12:06 PM..
Old 06-16-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocorador View Post
The other pistols you mention are either single action only or SA/DA. Sometimes, people are better with that type of pistol than a DA only like a glock or something similar. I shoot my 1911s way better than I do my glocks or XDs. The Glocks have fitted Jarvis barrels on them. I'm not saying your no good withy your Glocks, just saying that the trigger may be what's throwing you off a little because of the long travel.

JMO
I have a G21SF with fitted Wilson Combat Match barrel and stock trigger with 3.5 lb connector. It shoots very tight..trigger not an issue. With the subject G34, I replaced the stock trigger with a smooth, very short pull Glockworx Zev Tech drop-in trigger with 2.0 lb spring set. There is virtually zero movement of the gun as I pull the trigger. I think all that is now left to address is the barrel. Thanks.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nn3453 View Post
It should do a lot better than 1.25" at 11yd even with the factory barrel. Something is definitely not right. Maybe it just doesn't like the ammo you are running. Although, I never consciously measured mine for groups, with my drop in KKM and my reloads it easily exceeds what you seem to be getting. When I try, I can do around an inch or less offhand at that distance, so the gun is definitely capable.
+1 here. Good information though, I'd like to hear different results from different barrel makers as well.
Old 06-16-2010, 2:04 PM

I had a KKM for my G19 and it did improve the groups at 25 and 50 yards.

If you are shooting 3,5,7 and 15 yards I would stay with the stock barrel.

Steve
Old 06-16-2010, 8:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrod View Post
Good info, but not sure what you're saying with regards to KKM. You appear unhappy with the KKM barrel's offset center chambers and wouldn't buy them again yet you are recommending them? Also, was the KKM in your Glock fitted by the manufacturer or a drop-in? Thanks
Sorry, I had a brain fart. I meant to say Jarvis chambers were off as was their attitude.
Old 06-17-2010, 7:09 AM
Calguns Addict

Bar-Sto if fitted correctly
KKM if dropped in
Old 06-17-2010, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-cat View Post
Sorry, I had a brain fart. I meant to say Jarvis chambers were off as was their attitude.
Ahhhh soo. Ok I just bought a KKM from Glockmeister. Hopefully will be here on Saturday. I'll post a range report asap thereafter. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-17-2010, 7:30 PM
Vendor/Retailer

I have 2 g34's and have Bar-sto Semi fitted in both. I think they shoot a slight bit tighter than stock,thus a little more accurate. If you are shooting IDPA I would not get a after market barrel unless I was reloading.
I shoot my 35 with a stock barrel it it is accurate enough for IDPA and USPSA.

That is only my opinion.

Jan
Old 06-17-2010, 8:03 PM

I ran a drop-in Jarvis bbl in a Glock 35 since 2001 for USPSA using reloads. Groups were noticeably better than stock, reliability went down to 1 minor malfunction per 1500 rds or so. Bar Sto bbls are top notch and should give you good accuracy but no guarantee.