Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > MARKETPLACE > WTB (Want To Buy)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

WTB (Want To Buy) Looking for an item? This is the place to post it! Read the rules before posting.

Old 11-05-2009, 5:37 PM

Default WTB: reliable ear plugs

I shoot mostly pistol, so its not as loud as a rifle. but it is still loud, can somebody point me to the right direction? or have had good experience with ear plugs. i have seen those molded ear plugs and some are even electronic but im not sure where to buy it or if somebody here is selling it. thanks in advance.

Riz
Old 11-05-2009, 5:41 PM
Calguns Addict

it probably isn't the ear plugs, it's probably how you're putting them in. all earplugs are pretty much the same stuff. the expensive electronic ones aren't worth it at all. you have to make sure they get in deep enough into your ears to dampen the sound. roll them up tight with the thumb and forefinger of one hand, take your other hand and reach around behind your head and grab your ear, pull it up a little and push the rolled ear plug in until it feels right, release your ear but hold the earplug in with your finger for about 15-20 seconds. if that doesn't work, try ear muffs. harbor frieght has cheap ones (under $5) that i use and they work fine for everything from my .22lr to my buddys .308

Most civilization is based on cowardice. It's so easy to civilize by teaching cowardice. You water down the standards which would lead to bravery. You restrain the will. You regulate the appetites. You fence in the horizons. You make a law for every movement. You deny the existence of chaos. You teach even the children to breathe slowly. You tame.
People Should Not Be Afraid Of Their Governments, Governments Should Be Afraid Of Their People

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 11-05-2009, 5:49 PM

Default Tip from a fellow Paddy

Double up!

Use cheap foam ones in your ears (e.g., the orange Winchester ones from Walmart for $2 a pack of 10). Make sure they are rolled and inserted properly.

Then use a set of quality earmuffs (any industrial grade hearing earmuffs are fine) over your ears.

If you do that, your hearing will be just fine. The combination of plugs and muffs on top work great.
Old 11-05-2009, 5:51 PM

blah, forgot those ones, go the earplug section of any pharmacy, and buy the silicone disposables, they work great, depening on the noise level, i eeither split one in half for each ear, or if its really loud, i use one for each ear, its like 5.00 for 20 plugs.

WTB: Stoeger Condor Competition Combo (I'll trade 1911's or other handguns)
Old 11-05-2009, 6:15 PM
Calguns Supreme Overlord
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Howard Leight (sp?) from CVS or Rite Aid. 32 decibel noise reduction and theyre about $5 for 40 of them

"I don't like repeat offenders. I like dead offenders."
-Ted Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOELKY View Post
Well, glad you got the kit anyways, I'm sure I'll fondle it a little in the near future..... oh God, that's going to be in somebody's signature....:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOELKY View Post
put me in line, but if Peter W. Bush takes it, I need to be removed from his Signature line.......:D
Old 11-05-2009, 6:35 PM

Default Ear Plugs

Spend $ 35 at the next gun show and get custom made ear plugs that are formed in your ear.

I shoot with one pair, I keep one set in my loud Jeep and I have a set at work I carry in my safety vest for when I am around loud construction activity or when I am working around large and noisy equipment.

They twist in and out with no issues and extremely quiet.
Old 11-05-2009, 6:38 PM

thank you guys for all the input. right now im using howard leight impact ear muff, it is electronic, its nice to hear when somebody is talking to you on the range but it gets tiring on the ears because of the tension when i wear it all day (IPSC competition).

i have those orange ones i bought at walmart. ill try it next time on the range. i use it mainly on my motorcycle (aftermarket exhaust).
Old 11-05-2009, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfj40 View Post
Spend $ 35 at the next gun show and get custom made ear plugs that are formed in your ear.

I shoot with one pair, I keep one set in my loud Jeep and I have a set at work I carry in my safety vest for when I am around loud construction activity or when I am working around large and noisy equipment.

care to share a particular name or brand? googling the next gun show here in San Jose......
Old 11-05-2009, 7:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN ContributorCGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfj40 View Post

These ear molds are issued to us at work. I would NOT recomend them for shooting! When they are new they offer between 12-20 decibals (not sufficient for shooting) of noise reduction. As they get old the plastic gets hard and no longer conforms to your ear. As this happens the noise reduction decreases. This ageing happens very quickly, so quickly that we are issued new ones every 6-12 months. Disposable ear plugs are far more economical. About the best NRR (noise reduction rating) that you can get from disposable foam ear plugs is 32 decibals. They come in all shapes, sizes and colors. Hardware stores are a great souce. Buy a few and see what feels best for you. Make sure that you insert them properly, this makes a huge difference. 1. Squeeze and roll the earplug in your right hand. 2. grasp the top of your right earlobe with your left hand and pull up (straightening the ear canal). 3. While holding the earlobe up, insert the earplug and hold it in place with a finger until it expands enough to stay by it's self. Get the highest NRR that you can comfortably wear. If someone else at the range is shooting something obnoxiously loud you can still wear ear muffs and earplugs at the same time.

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
"Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not."
Thomas Jefferson.
"a system of licensing the right of
self-defense, which doesn’t recognize self-defense as “good cause”
Don Kilmer
Old 11-05-2009, 7:08 PM

The Ear Plug Lady does a good job and it takes about 30 minutes or so to get them custom made at the gunshows here in SoCal.

Just had mine done and they were $45 and come with a nice case.

Work very well
Old 11-05-2009, 7:52 PM

Default Ear Plugs

I have owned the style of ear plugs that are formed in your ear youcan get at gun shows for at least 10 years and all of the three pairs are still soft and pliable.

I have noticed no loss in performance with any of the three pairs I own.

At work when I forget I have them in, I often wind up yelling at people if I forget I have them in.

I got tired of trying to roll up ear earplugs with dirty hands and shoving the grit in my ears at work and out on off road trips.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:38 AM

thank you guys for all your input. i will surely try all your advises. for now ill use those disposable ear plugs. the reason why i refrain from using them from the range is because i pick up some brass, and sometimes during cease fire i take off my muff to have a better conversation, and rolling up plugs with dirty fingers is a no good when i put it back on.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prc104 View Post
The Ear Plug Lady does a good job and it takes about 30 minutes or so to get them custom made at the gunshows here in SoCal.

Just had mine done and they were $45 and come with a nice case.

Work very well
That would be Linda of Ear Plugs USA. I have a pair from her and they work very well. My are just over a year old.

F-4E Fighter Pilot "Crazed Dog"
Once a fighter pilot, always a fighter pilot!

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Refuse to be a Victim Instructor
NRA certified RSO
USPSA Range Officer
USCCA Member