Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 10-23-2009, 3:26 PM

Default What the hell is wrong with gun stores?

Let me say this: I'm a small business owner in the extreme sport industry, I serve large distributors, smaller mom and pop stores, and the retail customer with a variety of products that we manufacture, market, and sell. I've dealt with 300mil\year distribution company customers, and guys that run stores just on the weekend. Some customers are jerks and small minded, some "get it" and make good money.

It seems, by the vast majority, that every gun store in Southern California seeks to hire people that: A) Don't want to be there B) ACTUALLY know next to nothing about their industry C) THINK they know more than everybody who walks in the door.

I've called probably 5 gun stores today looking to purchase a very specific pistol. I've either wound up transferred to a line that doesn't exist (and consequently been hung up on), transferred to "the gun counter" and had it ring FOREVER and nobody pick up, or been handled by someone with some savage holier than thou attitude.

I'm not a jerk on the phone (I spend most of my day dealing with customers, I know how to act)...and I'm not asking stupid or out of the ordinary questions.

Ex.

Him: Hello, ******* Gun Store?
Me: Hi, I'm looking for a Springfield XD or Smith and Wesson M&P in .40 or .45. I'm looking to pick one up today or order one. Do you carry them?
Him: Haven't seen one.
Me: Do you normally stock them?
Him: Depends.
Me: Could I special order one?
Me: Sweet, thanks for your help.

Ex.

Him: XXXXX Gun Store, how can I help?
Me: Hi, I'm looking for a Springfield XD or Smith and Wesson M&P. I'm looking to pick one up today or order one. Do you carry them?
Him: I don't know why you'd want something like that, and no, we don't carry them.
Me: Thanks, goodbye.

My question.....WHY ARE YOU IN BUSINESS IF YOU HATE WHAT YOUR DOING AND YOUR CUSTOMERS?

(That being said, Ammo Bros and RifleGear were fantastic on the phone, and clearly they "get it" and I hope they do well)

Am I just cursed?

It'd be one thing if I was asking "SUP CUZ, I'M LOOKING TO GET A FOUR FIVE, WHAT YOU GOT IN STOCK SON?", but I'm being pretty courteous and I know exactly what I'm looking for.
Old 10-23-2009, 3:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbiii View Post
Him: Hello, ******* Gun Store?
Me: Hi, I'm looking for a Springfield XD or Smith and Wesson M&P in .40 or .45. I'm looking to pick one up today or order one. Do you carry them?
Him: Haven't seen one.
Me: Do you normally stock them?
Me: Could I special order one?
Me: Sweet, thanks for your help.
You should have asked what it depends on...

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 10-23-2009, 3:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
My question.....WHY ARE YOU IN BUSINESS IF YOU HATE WHAT YOUR DOING AND YOUR CUSTOMERS?
Depends

Quote:
Am I just cursed?
Depends

LOL

Man that sucks. I have often wondered the same thing. Although, I don't think I've ever been treated quite like that. (In person) I usually get the cold shoulder because of my outward appearance. I am never rude, nor do I talk like a thug/wackjob, yet sometimes I'm treated like I couldn't ever afford or appreciate any gun in the store. It only happens once, then I just take my money elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
And yes, this IS gun school.
Welcome to class.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdsmchs View Post
There is life outside of Calguns
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishPirate View Post
stop looking to the internet to tell you everything you should do.....sack up and just do what you want!!!!!
Old 10-23-2009, 3:43 PM
Veteran Member

It seems guys who open up gun stores are the last people to open up a business of ANY time. Forget customer service, courtesy, etc.

Granted, there are a FEW exceptions (IAC/Ade's/etc. come to mind), but the vast majority are so poorly run it's disgustingly sad.
Old 10-23-2009, 3:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Sad to say it's the rule rather than the exception.

If it's any comfort, it was this way 40 years ago too.
- Jeff Cooper

Check my current auctions on Gunbroker - user name bigbasscat - see what left California before Roberti-Roos
Old 10-23-2009, 3:49 PM
Calguns Addict

If your not going to post what stores they were how do you expect them to get better?
Old 10-23-2009, 3:49 PM
Now in AZ
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I remember when my wife was wanting to buy an XD-45 right after Obama's election it was a pain trying to find one. Most places seemed pretty disinterested in helping. Some were helpful but just didn't have one. A small mom and pop store called Old West Guns in City of Industry was helpful and had one in stock and held it for me and even stayed open late for my wife to go down and purchase it. They probably arn't interested in OLL stuff at all but I feel they are a decent small FFL (and usually have some ammo in stock).
Old 10-23-2009, 3:50 PM
In Memoriam

Yeap...
Old 10-23-2009, 3:53 PM

I've been insulted by employees before, usually not face to face but they'll always walk away before saying it. And it always involves how THEY expect me to spend MY money, regardless if what they are showing me is not what I want. I walked in once to look at a specific rifle and they'll placed another one in my hands and told me I should consider this one instead. Every time I tried to tell them "No let me see the one I want" they'll start telling me the specs and showing me how it works and how I'd be better off with this one. Finally I got tired and yelled "Dude I don't WANT this damn rifle!" and all the people turned around and the manager came over. I told him what had happened and he took care of me, but not before the employee walked away while muttering an insult.

I swear if he was standing behind the counter, I would have grabbed his face and smashed it against the display case. It's like going to a restaurant and when telling the waitress what you want, she keeps saying "No, you don't know what you want but I do so have this instead!"

I couldn't tell you the name because I honestly don't remember. I was bored while driving and stopped by this gun shop I had never heard of or seen before, and pulled in to see what they had.
Old 10-23-2009, 3:56 PM
Veteran Member

I was at a gunstore the other day, small place, just me and the guy behind the desk. I was asking him intelligent questions about a few different handgun models trying to get his opinion on stuff. And during our talk he keeps looking up at the TV watching soaps!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!! and then like three time during our talk he haulks a luggy into the trash... wow. Anyways needless to say, its like they all call each other every morning and discuss how they can F with us.
Old 10-23-2009, 4:05 PM
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCasey View Post
I remember when my wife was wanting to buy an XD-45 right after Obama's election it was a pain trying to find one. Most places seemed pretty disinterested in helping.
And gun stores are often an outsider's first contact with the shooting community.

No wonder we are so well loved out there.
Getting called a DOJ shill has become a rite of passage around here. I've certainly been called that more than once - I've even seen Kes get called that. I haven't seen Red-O get called that yet, which is very suspicious to me, and means he's probably a DOJ shill.
Old 10-23-2009, 4:07 PM
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekker View Post
I walked in once to look at a specific rifle and they'll placed another one in my hands and told me I should consider this one instead.
On the other hand, the last time that happened to me I ended up buying a Henry Golden Boy instead of a Marlin 39A. One of the best firearms purchases I have ever made.
Getting called a DOJ shill has become a rite of passage around here. I've certainly been called that more than once - I've even seen Kes get called that. I haven't seen Red-O get called that yet, which is very suspicious to me, and means he's probably a DOJ shill.
Old 10-23-2009, 4:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

sure, but did that employee try to force it upon you to get the golden boy or did he bring it out along with the marlin and compare it with you?

i'm all for employees recommending me other rifles, but don't force your opinion upon me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSig1911 View Post
Preppers canceled my order this afternoon because I called them a disgrace... Not ordering from those clowns again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrepperGunShop View Post
Truthfully, we cancelled your order because of your lack of civility and your threats ... What is a problem is when you threaten my customer service team and make demands instead of being civil. Plain and simple just don't be an a**hole (where you told us to shove it).
Old 10-23-2009, 5:23 PM
Calguns Addict

I would guess the large amount of paperwork and bureaucracy probably gives them a bit of librarian's attitude. I recall one store owner saying it takes at least 50% of their time just doing paperwork and insuring compliance. Government literally stealing half of their time, their most precious resource.
Old 10-23-2009, 6:05 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Gun store employees at medium to large gun stores (and some smaller ones) are IMHO possibly hurting the future of the Second amendment more than some bull**** laws already in effect.

Many of those guys are just as condescending, rude and snotty as those geeky indie video store clerks. I can't count the number of times I've heard a non-gun owner friend who was interested in purchasing or renting his first gun tell me about the disastrous experience he got, which completely turned him off, making them feel like gun owners were a club they weren't meant to be part of, and concurrently validating their stereotypical views of gun owners as a bunch of unpleasant rednecks.

We badly need to expand the gun owners base - and subsequently the 2A supporters base - and it's not going to happen as long as gun store employees treat newbies like crap. I don't know why that seems to be that way all too often.
Old 10-23-2009, 7:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I thought it was just me for the longest time. Then I realized they treat most people badly in stores. It didn't matter what state I was living in - the gun store employees attitudes sucked. And the stores wonder why they've lost so much business to online dealers. Why would I pay more to be treated so badly?
Old 10-23-2009, 7:37 PM
Banned

Quit your job, work at a gun store and come back to me.
Old 10-23-2009, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
And gun stores are often an outsider's first contact with the shooting community.

No wonder we are so well loved out there.
Then there's the GS where I live named after the owner's dog. And on the TV commercials, he actually INTRODUCES the dog!

How's that for representing?
Old 10-23-2009, 9:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

I went into Canyon Sports in Martinez yesterday. I was in the neighborhood & had some time to kill. Figured I'd buy a gun sock for a pistol.

So I go in & I'm checking out the gun socks. The Blowhard Zach & the kid are talking about some mundane BS & Zach wants to bet this kid he's right about whatever they are talking about. So in the first 30 sec, I heard the "F" word about 15 times, because these mental midgets have such a command of the English language.

Finally Zach notices me in the store. We've had a few words before. He goes into the back to avoid me. I look at the handguns in the display cases, & the kid helps me with my purchase.

Going in there twice a year is about 2 times too many...

I belong to the group that uses firearms, and knows which bathroom to use.

Tis better to have Trolled & lost, Than to never have Trolled, at all.

Secret Club Member?.
Old 10-23-2009, 9:19 PM

Years ago, I went into a now defunct store in El Monte. They mostly sold surplus stuff and had some of those S&W Brazilian contract 1917 revolvers. I asked the clerk, a guy in his 50's to see one. He told me no because he was alone in the store, and couldn't see the front door if he went to case with revolvers in it. Besides, I might be setting him up for a robbery! If he went to the case on the opposite side of the store, "my pals" would run in aad take guns and ammo. I tried to reassure him by showing him my badge, but he told me I could have stolen it from some cop, and that I had better leave. Not knowing what that wing-nut might do if I didn't, I left. By the time I could get back by there when a sane person was behind the counter, they'd sold out of the S&W's.
Old 10-23-2009, 9:29 PM

Sounds like everyone needs a new gun store to take care of them . I bet there's one in Woodland that will give you top notch service, and handle anything as long as it's legal .
Old 10-23-2009, 9:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
Years ago, I went into a now defunct store in El Monte. They mostly sold surplus stuff and had some of those S&W Brazilian contract 1917 revolvers. I asked the clerk, a guy in his 50's to see one. He told me no because he was alone in the store, and couldn't see the front door if he went to case with revolvers in it. Besides, I might be setting him up for a robbery! If he went to the case on the opposite side of the store, "my pals" would run in aad take guns and ammo. I tried to reassure him by showing him my badge, but he told me I could have stolen it from some cop, and that I had better leave. Not knowing what that wing-nut might do if I didn't, I left. By the time I could get back by there when a sane person was behind the counter, they'd sold out of the S&W's.
Federal Ordinance?

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 10-23-2009, 9:41 PM
Veteran Member

The problem of the useless gun store has had an interesting side effect of creating gun nuts enthusiasts who rarely ever go to gun stores. Most of my guns are C&Rs from out of state (03 FFL) or modern guns transferred at a local "kitchen table" 01 FFL. I really have no interest in going to most gun shops, and until the Calguns booths came around had no desire to go to gun shows either.

Edit:
Guess I should add my "bad gun shop" story. I had just finished the 10-day on a shotgun at Reed's (the store, before it closed). My buddy had been looking for a specific 1911 that he was having a hard time finding, and they happened to have one sitting in their used case when I picked the shotgun up. After finishing all the paperwork on the shotgun I asked if I could see the 1911, and the employee asked if I was going to buy it. Told him I wanted to look it over for a friend who had been in the market for that specific model (which, by the way was nothing too special, sub-$1k pistol). Guy told me if I wasn't going to buy it I couldn't look at it, but I ought to send my friend in. Never stepped foot in there again, neither did my friend.

Last edited by Dr Rockso; 10-23-2009 at 9:48 PM..
Old 10-23-2009, 9:54 PM
Veteran Member

Its true that I will pick a small in house kitchen table FFL with a tiny selection over almost every gun store I have been to. Those in house ones are owned by gun enthusiasts, and they may have high prices, but other than ammo its worth it to me. Just for the conversation, and sense of inclusion they have. For anyone on the central coast let me recommend Herb crowley in santa maria.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:19 PM
Veteran Member

Some of the kitchen table guys actually have some darn good prices. My father actually bought an M1A from one who sold it to him at the price he got plus the fee FFLs charge, which was very low by California standards, the latter seeming to be the norm among the ones I've come across. They also seem much more willing to order or transfer guns from a wider variety of persons or places than many gun stores are (some stores won't order except from a handful of suppliers, which pisses me off, and then they want to charge a rediculous fee; no, thanks). There are some decent gun stores out there, though.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:01 AM

You would have gotten better service over the phone if you were asking about a CZ instead (or a Rock Island)!

LOL
Old 10-24-2009, 12:21 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Northern Mexico(San Jose) Where illegals have rights and citizens get screwed

The one I like is, "Hey, where did you get this POS airsoft crap?"

I bought it here last month, it wasn't crap then. What happened?
The others, well......they just never learn.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
Patrick Henry.
Old 10-24-2009, 1:26 AM
Veteran Member

Haha I asked the guy at my local shop about the beretta px4 and the keltec su16. The guy says you don't want either of those their made of plastic and plastic guns are crap. I glanced at the pistol on his hip and it was a glock. I asked him if plastic guns are crap how come he carries a glock? And then he says it's polymer not plastic. So I than left and spent my money on an enfield instead. I really hate that gun shop.
Old 10-24-2009, 1:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Every gun store I have ever visited in California has sucked balls.

The guys behind the counter have always been non-helpful, lairs, and insulting. What's new?
Old 10-24-2009, 1:36 AM
Veteran Member

Try this number.

714-744-3373
10am-6pm M-F

I think you'll find good customer service there.

Kevin
Old 10-24-2009, 1:53 AM
Señor Member

I was very happy with Dave's in Berdoo. That's where I picked up my XD9 Service in '07. $30 for DROS, $25 for HSC, $625 OTD
Very helpful, no BS, no ignoring me, answered all questions, didn't try to talk me out of the XD, even when I showed interest in a 1911.

They don't allow Wolf ammo on the range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 10-24-2009, 6:12 PM
Calguns Addict

I stopped by the Ammo Brothers off the 15 today on my way back from Bass Pro Shops. They were pretty busy but as I was buzzed in, one of the guys at the counter greeted us (my wife was with me) in a friendly manner. As I was looking around, two seperate times someone asked me if I needed any help or wanted to look at anything. The staff was very cool and friendly. I only ended up buying some cleaning patches though.

+100 for Ammo Bros.

Edit: Oh, and they weren't spreading any FUD. I overheard a guy was asking a bunch of questions about an AR and the Ammo Bros guys were giving him all the correct info.

"Don't forget that you're First Marines! Not all the Communists in hell can overrun you!"
-Chesty Puller-

-Dimitri, I'm sorry they're jamming your radar and flying so low, but they're trained to do it. You know, it's, it's initiative!-

Last edited by Vanguard; 10-24-2009 at 6:16 PM..
Old 10-24-2009, 8:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Went to Red Star Arms in Culver City long time ago. Asked to see a rifle. Clerk said it would cost me $20 to look at it. I waited for him to laugh and hand the rifle over. He was serious. Told me that the store was tired of tire kickers handling their firearms and not buying anything. Guess what? I didn't buy anything. I didn't go back in the store either. They're out of business. Wonder if the attitude had anything to do with it?
Old 10-24-2009, 8:00 PM

I've had some good and bad experiences at gun stores (mostly good actually). One thing I've noticed that seems to be very common is I'll go in, stand there for a while with no one helping me, as I try and stare at them or get their attention. I'm not counting when they were helping other customers, they just didn't really seem to be doing anything.

For people who work at gun stores: take 2 seconds to tell the customer you'll be right with him and finish up what you're doing (if anything).
Old 10-24-2009, 8:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etaon View Post
I've had some good and bad experiences at gun stores (mostly good actually). One thing I've noticed that seems to be very common is I'll go in, stand there for a while with no one helping me, as I try and stare at them or get their attention. I'm not counting when they were helping other customers, they just didn't really seem to be doing anything.

For people who work at gun stores: take 2 seconds to tell the customer you'll be right with him and finish up what you're doing (if anything).
That seems to be the current SOP. I'd go into a gunshop and just stand there or look at the guns thru the glass case... sometimes they help other people that walk up after me or they just walk around me and don't say a word. The ONLY gunshop that doesn't do that is, "The Gun Room" in Elk Grove... imagine that!

Wonder why I buy my guns PPT or out of state. Hmmmmm....
Old 10-24-2009, 10:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plisk View Post
Try this number.

714-744-3373
10am-6pm M-F

I think you'll find good customer service there.
Good customer service? Maybe, on a good day. Good prices? Heck no. :\
Old 10-25-2009, 6:10 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
It'd be one thing if I was asking "SUP CUZ, I'M LOOKING TO GET A FOUR FIVE, WHAT YOU GOT IN STOCK SON?"
I'll bet you that would have actually worked.

I look like an A-hole, so I rarely get crap like that. But those rare times I do, I hand it right back with a fork.
Old 10-25-2009, 8:12 AM

I find the same indifferent attitudes at many of the booths at the big gun shows like Crossroads of the West. Typically the booth owner is busy talking to his wife, or another assistent he has at his booth, and not really paying much attention to you. They consider what they have to sale to be priceless, and what you have to sale or trade to be junk. Very elitist attitudes. I now make all my firearm and accessory purchases at Scheels in Sparks, NV. Sure have to pay to have it shipped to a FFL here, but it's worth it. All the guns are right out there in the sales floor. Not cable locks running through them. You can pick them up and smell them all you want. The sales staff is about thte neatest cleanest and helpful sales people I've ever met. Knowleable too. Excellent prices, no gouging. Hughe selection. If they don't have want you want, they call their central inventory and get it ordered for you pronto.
Old 10-25-2009, 9:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickofSoCal View Post
Every gun store I have ever visited in California has sucked balls.

The guys behind the counter have always been non-helpful, lairs, and insulting. What's new?
Try Uncle Paul's then

I've had nothing but great experiences with Paul and Eric both.

NRA Life Member
Old 10-25-2009, 9:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by etaon View Post
II'll go in, stand there for a while with no one helping me, as I try and stare at them or get their attention. I'm not counting when they were helping other customers, they just didn't really seem to be doing anything.

I used to do that. Wait till someone finally saw me standing there like a idiot came back from laughing with all their buddies from the back room ( probably taking bets how long they could make me wait)
Now if I see they're not doing anything then I simply say hey can I get some help here. Or hey let me see this gun. Some are shocked by my talking to them so they either snap to or they mumble and run in the back with some i gotta finish up with this customer ( no customer in sight and the phone hasn't rung)
I get tired of the elitist attitudes and I usually tell them off. I personally could care less and actually root for those places to go out of business. yeah we need FFL's bla bla bla. Sure I agree we need FFL and gun stores but these elitist attitude gun stores hurt us more than help us. I rather have fewer gun stores who know what theire doing than a ton of gun stores with elitist attitudes and fud spreading counter people. One bad experience at a gun store for a new gun owner usually turns that customer off from gun stores so they dont buy. MOST people tend to shop in their neighborhood stores so you will get local walk in traffic and if you treat that person right guess what. they will come back to shop there again. I know its baffling. Imagine treating a customer right and them coming back to buy from you again. It costs 3x as much to get a new customer than it takes to get a existing one to shop there again. A new customer may buy one gun and maybe some ammo from you while a existing one will buy another gun more ammo and accessories and probably order crap through you too simply because you make him feel good by the way you treat him. Granted you treat him like crap you not only lost a customer but theire gonna tell all their gun owner buddies abotu your crap attitude and they tell their buddies etc.

Gun store employees. If you don't know the laws STFU OR LEARN the laws and give out correct information rather than what you wish/want to be the information or what you choose to interpret the information to be. You're not a lawyer so don't act like one. Most people walking into your gun store have not one clue about the laws and they believe you ( the "expert" behind the counter)
Also if a customer walks in GREET them. NOTHING turns me off from a purchase than standing at a counter WATCHING you fart around doing nothing like I'm not even there. I dont mind waiting a reasonable amount of time but when you just flat out ignore me i get pissed.
When I have a customer walk up to me I either stop what Im doing or acknowledge theire there finish up ASAP and they get my UNDIVIDED attention.

To the gun store employees that know what they're talking about

Thank you for keeping our sport or hobby something we can still enjoy by keeping your doors open and treating us like family when we walk in the door.
There are a few shops I go to ( Ade's and Ammo Bros On Target)
There are other stores in my area but I simply dont go there due to the crappy elitist attitudes.