Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 06-14-2009, 9:42 AM

Default Background check question..

When a background investigator "runs" a person in the system, what sort of things come up? I ask this because a friend of mine who is a Dept. of Veterans Affairs Sgt., said that they run what is called a "criminal history check". He told me that every police contact I have ever had in my entire life will show up in that check. Is that true? Is that why when filling out the background packet they ask for ALL police contacts? If they don't show ALL contacts, then what does it show and how far back does it go?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmanian devil dog View Post
When a background investigator "runs" a person in the system, what sort of things come up? I ask this because a friend of mine who is a Dept. of Veterans Affairs Sgt., said that they run what is called a "criminal history check". He told me that every police contact I have ever had in my entire life will show up in that check. Is that true? Is that why when filling out the background packet they ask for ALL police contacts? If they don't show ALL contacts, then what does it show and how far back does it go?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Normally a state check is thru DOJ. It will show arrests and convictions. A fed check is thru NCIC. It will show arrests and convictions from most states, and any military arrests and convictions.
A local check (city police/county sheriff) will be run in places that you have lived. These may show all contacts (times you've reported crimes, times people reported you, field interviews, etc.).
Unless a contact is very serious, it's not a problem. Nobody will care if your neighbor reported you for your dog barking at 2 in the morning. If you had loud parties every weekend that the police had to break up, or constant disturbances in the neighborhood, that may be a problem. That will come out when they interview your neighbors.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:20 AM

Thanks 5shot!

That clears things up quite a bit. I appreciate the help.

It sounds like I should have no problems at all ( accept for those wild parties) lol.
Old 06-14-2009, 2:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Be as complete and honest as you possibly can. If there was anything you ever did which was questionable include it on your background form. The worst thing you can do is be dishonest or "less than truth full".

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.
Old 06-14-2009, 8:03 PM
Veteran Member

To the OP: Just remember.... A word that is spelled correctly but incorrectly used can, and will, change the meaning of what you wrote. Spell checkers won't find those errors. A grammar checker might find those errors. A knowledgeable person looking for those errors, will.

Some words can sound the same to the ear, but can have very different meanings. Be aware of that when you're writing things that matter.

As to the rest of it, I would imagine that CLETS/NCIC checks arrest and conviction records. Checking local records would probably find all contacts you've had with Law Enforcement where someone kept a record of that contact.

Do not lie. Do not try to deceive. Eventually, you'll get caught...
Old 06-14-2009, 10:11 PM

What kinds of questions are asked for the background/polygraph? Not trying to "beat it", just curious- wouldn't know how to beat a polygraph anyways.

"The more corrupt the state, the more laws." -Tacitus, Publius Cornelius

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum."
Old 06-14-2009, 10:50 PM

Have you ever had sex with an animal?

I giggled at that one and started laughing when they were recording my answers, I was sure I was going to fail (didn't though)
Old 06-15-2009, 10:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJGIL View Post

I giggled at that one and started laughing when they were recording my answers, I was sure I was going to fail (didn't though)
That question was common in the '70s

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 06-15-2009, 10:43 AM

From my experience, people worry too damned much about the background portion.

As long as you fill out your background packet neatly, thoroughly, and turn everything in on time...you'll be fine...

Unless of course you have sex with animals. And all your friends know about it. And your mom knows. And your ex-girlfriend knows. And your neighbor knows.

In which case your pretty much screwed.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJGIL View Post

In later years they added a follow up question:

"If so, what was your favorite animal?"

IMHO, they should have also asked, "Was the animal of the same sex as you?" but this is the west coast so I don't think it would fly.

I used to work backgrounds. My recommendation is to photocopy all of your papers so that you are always consistent. Reread your "Personal History Statement" several times. If after you've submitted it and during a reread the light bulb over your head goes off and you notice a discrepancy, tell your BI right away.

Many agencies will give you a copy of the polygraph questions ahead of time, and the polygrapher will pick and choose questions from that list. In my jurisdication, it was mainly stuff about financial responsibilities, drugs, crimes committed but never acted upon by LE, general moral turpitude and ulterior motives for entering LE.

Remember, a mistake you made in the past can be explained and often excused. Lying or hiding something is usually not tolerated and even if the original problem is excusable (non-disqualifying) the cover up will sink you.

Best of luck in your endeavors!

Last edited by eltee; 06-15-2009 at 11:09 AM..
Old 06-15-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltee View Post

Old 06-15-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:

So they didn't bother to find out if the animal gave consent?

Quote:
...crimes committed but never acted upon by LE...
I assume you mean crimes reported to/investigated by police but didn't lead to charges being pressed?

What types of crimes would not have been acted on?

"The more corrupt the state, the more laws." -Tacitus, Publius Cornelius

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum."