Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 05-27-2009, 8:39 PM

Default which complete upper assembly

I've been looking for a month or so now to find out which upper assemblies fit my requests

i'm looking for a non-chrome barrelled 14.5" flat topped upper.
as for handguards/rails, not too long. I like that short carbine look, but I know I need to have a flash suppressor pinned in.
mid length gas system if possible
flip up front/rear sights would be excellent for now so I can learn to shoot the rifle with that while I save even more for an eotech or a trijicon acog for tacticoolness.

as far as m4 feedramps vs non-m4 ramps i'm not too concerned, because what I'm hoping for is a complete assembly so it should fit regardless.

does something like that exist? or will I have to piece it together? (i'm hoping against the latter)

what I have complete so far:

spikes tactical lower
magpul ctr w/ milspec tube and spring
cmmg / stag arms lpk (mix and match cuz i broke/lost some springs/detent pins lol)

the lower has been function tested to work with my friend's upper already.

any input will be much appreciated.

TIA

-Ian
Old 05-27-2009, 8:46 PM
Veteran Member

You may get better accuracy from a non chrome lined barrel but the longevity of the chrome lined IMHO outweighs the small accuracy gains.

Im not sure who makes a 14.5 middy I want to say CMMG but I think there's are all chrome lined.

M4 feed ramp will aid in feeding and may increase reliability.
Old 05-27-2009, 8:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Scroll to the bottom of this thread. The first pic is a Sabre 14.5 middy, the second is a CMMG 14.5 middy.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...=188278&page=3
Old 05-27-2009, 9:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

For ease of cleaning and longevity of the barrel, i'd go ahead and get a chrome lined barrel. Out of a 14.5", you're not going to see much if any difference in accuracy out at 200 yards. You could go with a handful, the sabre defense stuff at PK firearms is a great deal, bushmaster lightweight uppers are decent, CMMG AND yhm would all fit the bill. I'd bail on the non chrome lined thing though.
Old 05-27-2009, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missiontrails View Post
Scroll to the bottom of this thread. The first pic is a Sabre 14.5 middy, the second is a CMMG 14.5 middy.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...=188278&page=3
very nice.
I like the look of the 2nd rifle, with the flip up sights and the handguard/rails of the first if the rail was a tad bit shorter.