Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 01-21-2023, 9:08 AM

I've got two BCM's that i've run hard, 3 classes each, no issues, I've also got a Spikes that I've run hard, 2 classes, no issues. I just bought an aero precision 16" middy, got about a 1000 rounds through it and plans to take it to a class to see how it runs. YMMV. BCM's are a 14.5 BFH middy and a 16 BFH middy FYI, got about 7000 rounds on each. They're relegated to SHTF, since I know they run well.
Old 01-21-2023, 9:26 AM

It seems like spikes tactical isn't as popular as they used to be and there are some good prices on them.
Old 01-21-2023, 10:27 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanz2 View Post
Have you looked at Daniel Defense uppers? Some can be had for less than 1K on sale. Not necessarily my favorite but a well made upper. I took some classes with this upper and it held up well, unlike the SigSauer optic
There are some things I don't like about DD's, which I will keep to myself in order to avoid arguments with half the site.

Quote:
There is no requirement that all those lowers have to have their own uppers for 2021R-08F. I haven’t read that the pistols have to be operational or complete, just braced. But given the massively bloated approval times, you’d want your application to be squeaky clean. Heck, even the ones you submit now may not even be approved by the time the 120 day grace period is over.
I keep forgetting that, but even so, info I can find now will still be useful when I need to get one. My only pistol upper has a fsb, which makes it's effective range about 40 yards, with my eyesight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flhxxx View Post
Definitely considering it, but still want a 5.56 upper in light of my piss-poor Blackout ammo situation. I watched the TFB video on the RSAR, which is apparently a longer barrel version of the Rattler. Just a little longer, 6.75 or 7.75 inches vs 5.5. I'm hoping SIG makes that longer barrel available, although I know it will be awhile. At any rate, Blackout in a Rattler good enough for SOCOM, I guess it's good enough for me.

edit: SIG 6.75" barrels are in stock now for the MCX! Hmm, maybe a good reason to sbr my MCX.

double edit: That 6.75" barrel is for the SOCOM LVAW.

I want that handguard!

SOCOM sure has a lot of SIGs.

Last edited by sigstroker; 01-21-2023 at 11:22 AM..
Old 01-21-2023, 1:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
There are some things I don't like about DD's, which I will keep to myself in order to avoid arguments with half the site.
Wise man. Strong fan base here.

Quote:
I keep forgetting that, but even so, info I can find now will still be useful when I need to get one. My only pistol upper has a fsb, which makes it's effective range about 40 yards, with my eyesight.
Me too. Use a magnified optic, or I’m wasting ammo.

Quote:

edit: SIG 6.75" barrels are in stock now for the MCX! Hmm, maybe a good reason to sbr my MCX.

double edit: That 6.75" barrel is for the SOCOM LVAW.
Going back to your namesake? 😆

Get a Rattler 300BO upper and the AR adapter? I think I saw someone selling the adapter if they’re not in stock at SigSauer.

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 01-21-2023, 2:41 PM

Last time I was in Texas I did a hog hunt with some friends and one had a suppressed 300 blackout SBR and I have been dreaming of having one ever since. It's INCREDIBLE, knocking down hogs with no ear-pro on.
Old 01-21-2023, 11:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I've seen a few youtubes lately where SOCOM keeps choosing different SIGs. I especially like where they explicitly chose Blackout.

Quote:
Get a Rattler 300BO upper and the AR adapter? I think I saw someone selling the adapter if they’re not in stock at SigSauer.
It's an idea. Already have a barrel for my MCX though, as well as a 7.5" AR. Haven't shot them much though because of a lack of ammo. I would like to try out my new can though, but the only quiet place I can try it is in the boodocks. I have to rely on a friend's Jeep, and it's in the shop for crash damage.

Until I can move to a bigger place where I can set up my reloading gear, I sort of have to rely on 5.56, which is why I was looking for an upper.
Old 01-26-2023, 7:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.56Geo View Post
KAC is the leader of the pack as far as “Top Tier” AR’s. I’m sure it will serve you well!

Now you can change your username to “KAC stroker”!
Nah, none of that cheap stuff for me. I found a five THOUSAND dollar upper. Used!

https://www.bereli.com/heckler-koch-...0366_a2e02c085
Old 01-26-2023, 8:42 PM

I have a BCM Standard 14.5" Mid Length ELWF Upper w/ KMR-A13 Handguard mounted to a Mega Arms lower. It's definitely lighter than my Spikes 16" Carbine Length rifle. A very noticeable difference in weight. It shoots great. It's my SHTF rifle. I wouldn't hesitate to get another BCM. It'll get mounted to a Riflegear lower (which I'm told used to be made by DD..not sure if that's still true)

Last edited by madland; 01-26-2023 at 8:50 PM..
Old 01-29-2023, 6:26 PM

Those HK 416 uppers sure did increase in price
Old 01-29-2023, 11:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flhxxx View Post
Those HK 416 uppers sure did increase in price
The one I mentioned is 100% real, it's a LE trade-in. It's not a clone, or one from an MR556.
Old 01-30-2023, 11:45 AM

It's the "boi" part I'm concerned with. It has undesirable connotations in the LGBTQ world. But maybe he's "one of those" too.
Old 01-30-2023, 1:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Who said that? I said "fanboys", it's still up there in the title.
Old 01-30-2023, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Who said that? I said "fanboys", it's still up there in the title.
See response #6.
Old 02-04-2023, 5:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

I found some supersonic Blackout. It has a surprising amount of recoil compared to 5.56. It's not a .308 or anything, but it's enough to affect the speed of follow-up shots. I had only shot subs before, which are not a lot more powerful than .45 ACP.

You have a Rattler, right? How is it out of such a lightweight gun? I shot mine out of a 7.5" AR.
Old 02-05-2023, 11:56 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I found some supersonic Blackout. It has a surprising amount of recoil compared to 5.56. It's not a .308 or anything, but it's enough to affect the speed of follow-up shots. I had only shot subs before, which are not a lot more powerful than .45 ACP.

You have a Rattler, right? How is it out of such a lightweight gun? I shot mine out of a 7.5" AR.
Not any worse than 7.62x39, which had been my main round since I started with AKs.

Is your 7.5” AR an SBR? Having a good shoulder and cheek rest makes a lot of difference. I shoot a 7.62x39 Krinkov much better than a braceless Draco pistol.

Have you tried loading a magazine with mixed super- and sub-sonic and shooting the gun unsuppressed? See if you can tell the difference. I should try it too.

Old 02-05-2023, 1:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Not any worse than 7.62x39, which had been my main round since I started with AKs.
My only AK shooting was with a MAK-90, which is miles beyond an ordinary AK in shooting comfort. It had a nice high comb and a rubber recoil pad.

Quote:
Is your 7.5” AR an SBR? Having a good shoulder and cheek rest makes a lot of difference. I shoot a 7.62x39 Krinkov much better than a braceless Draco pistol.
No, it has a Shockwave Blade brace. For another 114 days anyway. I may or may not have shouldered it, but if I did, the Blade is very narrow and would not have been comfortable. Because of the dot height, I didn't have a solid cheek rest either.

Quote:
Have you tried loading a magazine with mixed super- and sub-sonic and shooting the gun unsuppressed? See if you can tell the difference. I should try it too.
Not necessary. To me there's a huge difference between subs and supers. I can tell the difference even with 10 months between shooting one and the other.
Old 02-05-2023, 3:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
No, it has a Shockwave Blade brace. For another 114 days anyway. I may or may not have shouldered it, but if I did, the Blade is very narrow and would not have been comfortable. Because of the dot height, I didn't have a solid cheek rest either.
Well, let’s hope the good guys prevail and stop this crap. Can’t Brandon spend his energy on something else, like preventing spy balloons from flying over sensitive military sites? Oh, just a weather balloon

Old 02-05-2023, 8:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I'll probably file a Form 1 for it at some point. I looked into it last year, but it confused me too much. It's like it was asking the same question 4 different ways.
Old 02-06-2023, 5:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I'll probably file a Form 1 for it at some point. I looked into it last year, but it confused me too much. It's like it was asking the same question 4 different ways.
Don't let it intimidate you, the 2021R-08F (Brace Ruling) version of eForm 1 is very easy to do. Form 4999 (the point system based on firearm characteristics) was dropped and is no longer needed.

PM me if you need help.

Old 02-07-2023, 6:41 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Thanks, I may do that.
Old 02-07-2023, 7:10 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Couple quick questions.

Is a passport photo required like with paper forms?

It looks like we have to submit a copy to the CLEO, unlike with paper forms where the AFT did that for us?
Old 02-07-2023, 7:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Couple quick questions.

Is a passport photo required like with paper forms?

It looks like we have to submit a copy to the CLEO, unlike with paper forms where the AFT did that for us?
Yes on the passport photo, there’s a place you upload it, at the Responsible Person Questionnaire section (for trusts, not sure for individual filing)

No, you send the section to the CLEO yourself when you’re approved. I just bring mine to the local sheriffs substation and drop it off. Cheaper in gas than taking it to the Highway Patrol office some 20 miles away. Choose your CLEO wisely lol