Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 04-23-2009, 7:51 PM
Veteran Member

Default Loanable Weapons

What are the specifics for loaning a weapon? I've seen the term come up a few times in laws, and while discussing ARs with my LEO friend. Is it loaning like giving a person permission to borrow and use your weapon without him around, or does it involve legal paperwork?

Kevin
Old 04-23-2009, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plisk View Post
What are the specifics for loaning a weapon? I've seen the term come up a few times in laws, and while discussing ARs with my LEO friend. Is it loaning like giving a person permission to borrow and use your weapon without him around, or does it involve legal paperwork?
If it is a registered AW, then there are specific conditions. A read of the AW provisions of the PC would be advised. See PC12280(k) If it were an OLL, then:
Quote:
PC 12078 (d)(1) Subdivision (d) of Section 12072 shall not apply to the infrequent loan of firearms between persons who are personally known to each other for any lawful purpose, if the loan does not exceed 30 days in duration and, when the firearm is a handgun, commencing January 1, 2003, the individual being loaned the handgun has a valid handgun safety certificate.
If it is to be used for hunting:
Quote:
PC12278 (q) Subdivision (d) of Section 12072 shall not apply to the loan of a firearm that is not a handgun to a licensed hunter for use by that licensed hunter for a period of time not to exceed the duration of the hunting season for which that firearm is to be used.
No paperwork is required for these loans.

"please guys please no ridiculous offers....Im a girl, not an idiot" Mistisa242
Old 04-23-2009, 9:03 PM
Veteran Member

My situation would be an OLL AR15 in my Father's name, being loaned to me (his 18 year old son) for a weekend. So as long as I don't have it for more than 30 days; it's cool?

Kevin
Old 04-23-2009, 10:22 PM
Blue Blaze Irregular
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plisk View Post
My situation would be an OLL AR15 in my Father's name, being loaned to me (his 18 year old son) for a weekend. So as long as I don't have it for more than 30 days; it's cool?
Since he is your father and the firearm is a long gun, you can keep it for as long as you like. Long gun transfers between a parent and child do not require any paperwork if both parties are California residents.

"Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin