Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 08-09-2019, 9:03 AM

Default Switching to Android

Current IOS user, but recently had an Apple Watch break and they wouldn’t stand behind it. I’m done with them now.

Anyone make the switch from IOS to android? I’m not a fanboy of either. Just want something that works. Never had any issues with Apple until this, but paying $400 for a gadget that broke in a year pisses me off.

Any must have apps? Any way to make the transition easier? I’m not a tech genius, so forgive the seemingly idiotic question. Thanks.
Old 08-09-2019, 9:56 AM

Welcome to the dark side. I, personally, never liked Apple products because they limited what you were able to do/access. That may be because I was never trained properly but still...
Old 08-09-2019, 10:04 AM
Calguns Addict

What happened to the watch? I bought a Apple watch not too long ago myself.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:04 AM
Calguns Addict

I was a loyal Android user, but wifes boss bought her an IPHONE to maintain platform consistency I switched.

Years down the road wife no longer works there so I switched back to an Android.

I only lasted 30 days. I became used to IPHONE's way of doing things and could not really take advantage of Androids strengths . IE I felt lost. But then again I'm an old dude so I'm learning challenged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.

What doesn't kill me, better run
Old 08-09-2019, 11:46 AM

The screen on my watch came off. Cracked all the way around the edges. It had never been dropped or anything. It was as if someone cut around the outside and took it off. The Apple store guy said the battery hadn’t swollen, so they viewed it as an accidental breakage.
Old 08-09-2019, 4:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eta34 View Post
The screen on my watch came off. Cracked all the way around the edges. It had never been dropped or anything. It was as if someone cut around the outside and took it off. The Apple store guy said the battery hadn’t swollen, so they viewed it as an accidental breakage.
Yikes, sorry to hear that. When I first bought my Apple watch I thought it'll just be a toy and only useful because I travel for work a lot and its easier if I have a watch that changes time zone automatically and immediately when I land.

A few months in and I'm starting to like it more and more, being able to use it to control music when walking and speaking to the watch to text my wife, makes things easier.

Hope you'll find a good replacement in the Android ecosystem.
Old 08-11-2019, 6:55 PM

Welcome brother.
Old 08-11-2019, 9:59 PM
Calguns Addict

I am starting to get used to Android. I preferred Windows 10 phone OS but had to switch when I failed in teaching my Windows phone how to swim. The Windows launcher makes it a little more palatable.
Old 08-13-2019, 2:48 PM

Never had iPhone, but my wife is loyal. For every bug her phone experiences, I'm happy to point out that no Pixel I've ever owned experienced those problems. The key is researching a phone with good battery life over the life of the phone.
Old 08-13-2019, 4:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Escalate it to a corporate drone. Local store drone is probably useless.

You're probably aware, but you give up a lot of privacy with google.
Old 08-13-2019, 4:39 PM

Welcome. Android is for people who like to think about how to use their technology. I have stayed with Samsung and the galaxy series. I have used Apple but it annoys me to no end.
Old 08-13-2019, 4:57 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

If you are porting your number back to something besides iPhone, you must deregister your number from iMessage, or you will not get texts anymore from Apple users.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/

Last edited by SkyHawk; 08-13-2019 at 5:00 PM..
Old 08-13-2019, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
If you are porting your number back to something besides iPhone, you must deregister your number from iMessage, or you will not get texts anymore from Apple users.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/
Thank you. I had no idea this was an issue. I will definitely take care of this when my phone arrives.
Old 08-14-2019, 3:23 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
...You're probably aware, but you give up a lot of privacy with google.
Really? More than Apple, sending ALL SMS/texts through their service called iMessage? People who voluntarily do this... might want to rethink it...

Or a woman having a conversation about a small polka-dot yellow purse, then ads for small polka-dot yellow purses start appearing, "randomly"?

I have not these problems on Android, but I also have the ability to NOT use the default "phone required" browser when opening e-mailed links... for tracking purposes.

Last edited by the86d; 08-14-2019 at 3:38 AM..
Old 08-16-2019, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
Really? More than Apple, sending ALL SMS/texts through their service called iMessage? People who voluntarily do this... might want to rethink it...

Or a woman having a conversation about a small polka-dot yellow purse, then ads for small polka-dot yellow purses start appearing, "randomly"?

I have not these problems on Android, but I also have the ability to NOT use the default "phone required" browser when opening e-mailed links... for tracking purposes.

You realize you can change the default browser, use third part sms apps and the whole “I talked about and it showed up on my phone” thing alive and well on Android..... right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-16-2019, 1:57 PM
Probably PUI
CGN Contributor

I switched to android last september, I had been an iphone user since the 3g. I picked up a Huawei Mate 10 pro from amazon for 500, the huawei phone clone software made it very fast and easy to move all my photos and data over.

After a year of use, I would probably never go back to Iphones. Originally android had more capability but Apple was much more user friendly, now androids have evolved to also be extremely intuitive to learn and use, while android also still holds the advantage in capability. The speed, battery life, camera and user interface on my mate 10 is downright impressive. Then again, huawei news hasn't been the greatest recently, and i'm not a fan of samsung either so I really dont know what I would look for in a replacement when the time comes. Also, I'm not too concerned about huawei spying, when google, apple, amazon, yahoo, and facebook do the exact same thing- I dont have international secrets that would interest the chinese, but the targeted ads and tracking that's done by american tech companies seems to be a booming business
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-16-2019, 3:57 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

My work phone is an iphone, my personal is a Samsung S9.

I despise every single thing about the apple. It has more problems and less functionality than a GD commodore 64 would trying to keep up in today's world.
Old 08-16-2019, 8:12 PM

Apple Rocks!!

Maybe you guys are wanting to do things the iPhone won't let you.
Me, I just want it to work and it does.
I'm not an Apple fanboi, iPhone is the only Apple thing I own.

On a side note, work buddy has an android something and in my opinion of seeing him trying to use it, it sucks.
Old 08-17-2019, 9:07 AM

Apple all day, every day!
Old 08-17-2019, 9:20 AM
Calguns Addict

Android for men. Iphone for chicks.
John 3:16

NRA,,, Lifer

United Air Epic Fail Video ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 08-20-2019, 3:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Current IOS user, but recently had an Apple Watch break and they wouldn’t stand behind it. I’m done with them now...
Are you REALLY sure you want to do this?
Here are some reasons you might want to reconsider sticking with iPhone:
1) You don't want really cheap and functional, industry-standard USB-C cables, where even a USB-C 65 watt notebook AC adapter COULD charge your phone... REALLY FAST, and you don't need that kind of positivity in your life.

2) You don't want a cheap upgrade to your secondary storage (music/Movie/Videos/Pix) w/just with a MicroSD swap, because then you won't be paying Apple a monthly fee for iCloud (upgrades). You WANT to pay $100-$250 for every 128GB-256GB NIB upgrade, and you want to swap the phone to do it, NOT some industry-standard $85 for a 512GB U3 card that takes less than a minute to swap.

3) You WANT to pay for Applecare, because a $1000 status-symbol needs a warranty that you pay for. You don't want a sub-$200 phone with last-gen features that still aren't avail on iPhones, you want these features later 3 generations of iPhone from now... for an additional premium.

4) You want to wear $144 earbuds with tiny Lithium-Ion batteries right in your ears that make you look like you are wearing white AntiFA ear-rings, w/no way to swap the batteries. You don't need compatibility with industry-standard headphone jacks, ever.

5) You WANT to pay for Apps that Android has always alternatives for, for free.

6) You don't want to have to research what phone you can swap the battery yourself for ~$10 NIB, because Apple has addressed the throttling issue with old batteries, after people complained, but you're holding it wrong...

7) In the event that you have to factory your phone, you don't want a <3 minute factory, you want to watch the black screen with the Apple logo and a white bar take forever.

Wait...a...sec...

Last edited by the86d; 08-20-2019 at 3:57 AM..
Old 08-20-2019, 11:29 AM
Calguns Addict

I have always been on Android and Tizen... But Samsung, Google Pixel etc won't stand by their stuff any better if you read the reviews and Reddit stories...
Old 08-21-2019, 8:44 AM

Got my galaxy s10e yesterday. Still adjusting to it, but it seems pretty good so far.
Old 08-21-2019, 2:37 PM
Banned

You can get note 8 for like 250bucks at best buy. They include a cable to transfer your info. The homo in charge of Apple has made it clear we are not wanted on their platform. Big change but no regrets for me
Old 09-01-2019, 3:51 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

My friends that have switched from iPhone to Android are usually unhappy the first week or so and then never go back. They say the hardest thing to lose is Imessage. Android has comparable and better apps, but they do not come standard on the phone so you need to convince your family/friends to get the better messaging apps as well.
If you don't send a lot of pictures or do a lot of group messing, you probably won't miss it.
I prefer signal messenger but there are a few good ones out there.
Old 09-06-2019, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt1372 View Post
I switched from an iPhone 5 to a Galaxy S5 years ago and haven't "upgraded" since. Actually bought 2 spare S5s in case the one I'm using dies. Also bought lots of spare batteries in case they disappear too.

I've always been mainly a DOS guy and all of my computers (desktop and portable) have always used a DOS operating system. Never been a big fan of Apple but the 1st phone that I bought was an iPhone 4 that I still use as my nightstand clock and an iPhone 5 that died) and an iPod that I still use but haven't added any music to for years and an iPad that still works but that I never use any more.

The S5 is showing its age but I continue to use it because it's the last model that used replaceable batteries. Always carry at least 1 spare battery to avoid being one of those people trying to find a outlet to recharge on.

Will probably upgrade to an S10 (or later version) when the last of my S5's dies.

Update 9/1/19: Recently bought an unlocked Motorola Moto G7 to take w/me on a trip to China where I'll be going in a few weeks. Also ordered a sim card to use there. Not sure that my Samsung Galaxy S5 is unlocked and, even if it is, it's a Verison CDMA phone and won't be of much use there, just as it wouldn't be of much use if I converted it for use w/ATT. The G7 is fully compatible w/both GSM and CDMA systems and, if I like it, I can simply switch from the S5 to the G7 w/Verizon.

Just mentioning it because, if you are going to switch from an iPhone to an Android, it's would be best to choose one that is the most versatile in terms of which carrier to use and I'd recommend the G7 as one such phone.

PS: The iPhone 4 that I was using as a nightstand clock also just died; the battery swelled, which is a common problem w/iPhones. I could replace the battery in the iPhone4 if I could find a repair shop that still carries or can order one BUT it would cost at least $100 or so and the phone isn't worth that much to me. So, I'm going to trash it. Nothing lasts forever, not even iPhones.
My personal Galaxy S5 is still better than the Iphone my employer makes me use, Apple just has a weird way of doing things and it has some bottlenecks that are a one click solution for Android, but the same thing is a "WTF is wrong with this POS?" moment on the Apple. Besides THAT I hate the way Apple acts like the phone still belongs to them, "we 're just allowing you to use this, get used to it buddy!"
Found a reliable brand new Li-ion battery for S5 too, 3300mah and works like a brand new genuine Samsung battery for $16.95 off Ebay
https://www.ebay.com/i/113385145876?...0aAqEsEALw_wcB

Last edited by fragthefreaks; 09-06-2019 at 4:36 PM..
Old 09-09-2019, 4:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I've been an Apple-everything user since 2000. I will never go back to a Windows or Android system again. And I'm going to upgrade to the 11 with IOS 13.x.x when its announced tomorrow. Wife has a X. I'm upgrading from a (yes) I-phone 4. And the only reason I'm doing that is because the 4 won't take OS updates anymore.
Old 09-13-2019, 5:58 PM

Gun Safe is a great app only available on Android phones. Plus, I have to have a large capacity sd card, so Android all the way.