Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 04-02-2019, 6:16 PM

Default My review of the Marcolmar Cetme L Rifle from Atlantic Firearms

After learning about Marcolmar gearing up for US semiauto CETME L production over at http://www.militaryfirearm.com/Forum...ETME-L-RiflesI , I decided to pick up one of the rifles from
Atlantic.

Here is the link to all the Malcomar firearms and Marcolmar CETME L variants that Atlantic Firearms sells:

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/taxons/marcolmar

This review is of this particular model with the optics rail:

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/pro...e-gr-marcolmar

This is the 2nd rifle I have purchased from Atlantic,my first being a PTR-91 rifle.
Like my first transaction with Atlantic,the transaction went smoothly with great communication and shipping was quick to my FFL.

Marcolmar purchased approximately 13,000 surplus CETME L rifle kits,and invested about 2 million Dollars to set up production at their facilities in Indiana to make these for the Collector market here in the US.

The owner of Marcolmar has spent considerable time test firing (including viewing with highspeed photography)this rifle so he could ensure that it runs reliable with metal Stanag magazines,something the original Spanish variant didn't always do.

These rifles ship from Atlantic double boxed and this is what you see when you pull out the inner box:

And when you open up the box:

Foam is cut out for the rifle,and you get a ASC 10 round mag,Atlantic chamber flag,cable lock,bottle of oil,memo about break in,Atlantic patch,a really nice manual that is also a history book,empty pak for the installed Fingrip(Yay- Munkeeboi!)and a bag with the removed California-Evil Flash hider and Assault lock washer.

Missing from the pic is the warranty card-I already mailed it in.
IMPORTANT-On the warranty card you can circle which additional model, LC or LV, you would like to have the possibility of being able to purchase in the future.

Marcolmar has a very limited amount of LC and LV kits that they are going to have a lottery for, and if you circle your choice you will have a chance in the lottery.

If you don't know what the LC or LV variant is,check the pics below-I will have one from the manual showing different variants.

Rumor has it that soon Atlantic will be shipping these with a California Compliant muzzle device installed.

Now if you haven't heard,the mag wells on these are quite snug on these rifles when installing magazines.

I had a heads up about this,and planned on practicing mag swaps with this rifle prior to shooting to wear in the Cerakote on the inside of the well(and the mag finish).

This helped quite a bit and while most mags still don't drop free,most of them now fit much better than when I first picked up the rifle.

Although Atlantic shipped my rifle with a silver ASC 10 rounder,Malcomar recommends and tests with 30 round Okay brand Milspec aluminum magazine,so I picked up some riveted 10/30 Okay mags,grabbed a 150 round box each of 55 grain 5.56 ball-one American Eagle and the other Winchester white box ammo,both from Walmart, and my son and I hit the range to try out the rifle.

To have a comparison,we decided to bring a representative of another rifle- that like the CETME L-was used in the Gulf War, so we brought our fixed magazine 20" A2 AR rifle to the range also.

The supplied ASC:

My(pre -California freedom)Okay 10 rounders:

Now a note in the box recommends using only full power 62 grain ammo for break in.

I have some green tip but the range I went to doesn't allow any magnetic ammo,so 55 grain 5.56 would have to do.

If you don't want to read the entire review I will give you the TLDR version:

We put about 300 cheap Federal and Winchester rounds downrange,and while using the supplied ASC mag and the Okay mags had a total of ZERO malfunctions.

And certainly at least combat grade accuracy.
Neither my son or I are bench shooters,but the rifle was putting hits where we wanted them.

When I get some more trigger time, and perhaps an optic,I may update this thread with grouping sizes with various ammo.

Suffice to say it is plenty accurate for it's intended use.

And WOW-what a soft shooter.

I mean 5.56 is not a heavy recoiling round anyway,but it was quite interesting comparing the 16" barreled roller locking rifle,with the DI gas operated 20" A2.

The weight difference between the two is negligible.

It FEELS like the smaller CETME L is substantially softer shooting.

In short-both my son and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE this rifle!

So much that we burned almost all of the ammo up on the CETME and left very little for the AR!

Luckily I had preloaded my 4 Bear Flag Defense loaders for the A2.

My son actually has stated he prefers the platform to the AR.

I won't personally go that far,but I really like the rifle and DO plan to shoot some 2 or 3 gun matches with it.

I will update here how those go.

In short-this is something that is very well made, different,but still uses AR mags, and shoots common 5.56, and is just plain COOL!

I strongly suggest you pick up a bunch of 30 round Okay mags(free states) or blocked 30 rounders(restricted states) as they fit and feed the best in this rifle.

And now some captioned pics and vids:

The box end-Note under the yellow sticker to the right of L and LC models are the options of LV and TAC(hmm..I wonder what the TAC model will be?)
Also gray and FDE color options are under the sticker as well.
And check it out-a heavy barrel variant is coming:

From the manual-CETME L models:

Some more pics from the manual:

Last edited by LEAD LAUNCHER; 04-06-2019 at 12:29 PM..
Old 04-02-2019, 6:16 PM

Some of the rifle:

Compared to my Fixed Mag 20" A2(LMT/Windham):

These are the mags you want to buy for this rifle:

These mags DO NOT FIT in the mag well.
Top to bottom 10 round OK,D&H 10 round,slightly older ASC 10 round,10/20 ASC, and all 3 size Pmag:

I picked up some ASC 10 round last year.
Note how they are straight compared to the slight curve of the silver ASC that Atlantic supplied with the rifle.
Straight ones DO NOT FIT-Silver one FITS and feeds fine:

I did have some FTfeeds with 2 different mags that locked in the well.
one was a 10/30 Troy and the other was an ancient Factory Colt riveted 5/20 mag with a really weak spring-so I expected trouble from it-but had hopes for the Troy!-nope..this is what happened:

Like the PTR-This CETME L doesn't treat brass gently:

Last edited by LEAD LAUNCHER; 04-06-2019 at 12:31 PM..
Old 04-02-2019, 6:17 PM

Some range pics and my son shooting:

Pic my son took of me shooting the A2-Proof that Ca DOJ is using mind-control
to make me put my thumb on the right side of even a fixed mag pistol grip!

Some vids of the CETME L-slow fire-100 yard steel and then with a reload(please excuse my sideways phone--also they don't want to embed for some reason):

https://youtu.be/FyLglJXxhn4

https://youtu.be/iX9swyuBlpk

Last one-my son only getting 9 in using the BFD loader on the A2.
He is also reacting strangely to the now "odd" AR recoil impulse as he was getting used to the CETME recoil impulse:

https://youtu.be/W3hLwxaYTDs

Last edited by LEAD LAUNCHER; 04-02-2019 at 7:06 PM..
Old 04-05-2019, 5:22 PM

Update.

In honor of the Judge throwing California some new(old?)found freedom, I ran some standard capacity mag testing with the rifle.

I used 70’s, 80’s, and 90’s production aluminum military surplus 30 round mags.

Colt, Cooper, Simmonds, BFI, Okay and Labelle brands all ran 100%.

They ran 100% despite not being upgraded with modern anti tilt followers yet.

Also it is interesting to note, that-even being decades old, the (Marcolmar recommended brand) Okay 30 round mags still fit MUCH better in the mag well than the other surplus brands.
In fact some of the other brands are just a super tight fit in the mag well.

Too tight to even deal with...Just pick up the OKay brand if you don’t already have them.
I know I keep saying that, but even some of the Okays are a bit snug.
Some of the other brands just don’t even want to go in the well.
Or if you can get them in they are a bear to get out.

Anyway....I love this rifle!

Can’t wait until a California compliant muzzle device is available for it as well!

Has anybody else out there picked up one of these rifles recently?

I know Munkeeboi has but I don’t believe he’s had a chance to shoot it yet.

Last edited by LEAD LAUNCHER; 04-10-2019 at 5:46 PM..
Old 04-06-2019, 5:36 AM
Born With a Tail
CGN Contributor

Looks good! I have one of these inbound to my FFL right now, so it’ll be a few weeks before I pick it up from gun jail. I went with the OG green and a rail.

I also scored a dozen Okay mags this past week and waiting patiently to see what both you and Munkeeboi come up with for muzzle devices. Where can I find a sling and bayonet?
Old 04-06-2019, 8:21 AM

Looks like a great rifle OP. Never was on my radar before. Love the pics!! Enjoy!!
Old 04-06-2019, 9:15 AM

Dude. Great review. You should do this as a side gig.
Old 04-06-2019, 9:28 AM
Veteran Member

Nice, thorough review. Thanks for sharing, OP.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:10 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAD LAUNCHER View Post
Update.

In honor of the Judge throwing California some new(old?)found freedom, I ran some standard capacity mag testing with the rifle.

I used 70’s, 80’s, and 90’s production aluminum military surplus 30 round mags.

Colt, Cooper, Simmonds, BFI, Okay and Labelle brands all ran 100%.

They ran 100% despite not being upgraded with modern anti tilt followers yet.

Also it is interesting to note, that-even being decades old, the (Marcolmar recommended brand) Okay 30 round mags still fit MUCH better in the mag well than the other surplus brands.

I love this rifle!

Can’t wait until a California compliant muzzle device is available for it as well!

Has anybody else out there picked up one of these rifles recently?

I know Munkeeboi has but I don’t believe he’s had a chance to shoot it yet.

thanks for the great review.

I wanted to throw in, if you didn't know, the old grey magazines are coated with moly dry film lubricant (not paint). If they work and others do not it might be why.

Old 04-06-2019, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toiletfighter View Post
Looks good! I have one of these inbound to my FFL right now, so itíll be a few weeks before I pick it up from gun jail. I went with the OG green and a rail.

I also scored a dozen Okay mags this past week and waiting patiently to see what both you and Munkeeboi come up with for muzzle devices. Where can I find a sling and bayonet?
Sounds great!

Our bayonet came from Apex-still showing in stock for "fair" condition.

Here is fair condition:

https://www.apexgunparts.com/rifles/...bard-fair.html

We received the "good" condition,but Apex is out of those.

They have a sling,but it says"no button".
Not sure but I think that has to do with the stock attachment point:

https://www.apexgunparts.com/rifles/...very-good.html

They also have some other L parts though(and a pretty cool pic of an original select fire L):

https://www.apexgunparts.com/rifles/...tme-l.html?p=3

Here are some other places for L stuff:

https://colemans.com/spanish-cetme-l-bayonet

https://www.libertytreecollectors.co...idproduct=9464

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1437260

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1547810

That last link says that the sling fits several different CETME models-not sure if it is "correct" for this model but it looks right.

Concerning the muzzle brakes,which are being prototyped right now for the CETME L by MFI, link is below to the Calguns thread.

There will be both early Pronged style and birdcage style, and California Compliant.

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1519737

Old 04-06-2019, 1:19 PM
Veteran Member

LEAD,

Any pics of the targets? A2
Old 04-06-2019, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCM16A2 View Post
LEAD,

Any pics of the targets? A2
Sadly,no, not yet.

So far on the two range trips we have really been function testing and having fun ringing steel.

The sights were regulated enough where no adjustment was needed for what we were doing.

Once I get some more trigger time,I will make a point to update this thread when I have some groups,including photos.

I expect it to pretty much be in the ballpark of this guys results posted in the below linked arf.com thread.

Here is his quote, and under the link :

"Shot my[Marcolmar] CETME L yesterday with decent results, but 100% reliable.

10rd group, 100 yards, irons.

-Norma 223 55gr FMJ : 2.75MOA (this ammo is almost always 1.75-2MOA in my other 5.56 guns, and can be 1.3 MOA with SS barrel RECCE)
-Fiocchi 223 55gr FMJ : 2.5-3MOA
-IMI 5.56 55gr FMJ : 2.5-3MOA
-Wolf 223 55gr FMJ : 2.75-3.5MOA
-Winchester 5.56 62gr OT : 2.5-3MOA

I notice some of the 55gr ammo seems to have consistent fliers, so I did not count those.
The Winchester 62gr did not have any fliers.

Just FYI, I shoot iron sight rifles just fine.
Galil w/ Norma : 5" 10rd at 300 yards
DR-200 w/ Norma : 1.75" 10rd at 100 yards
Colt SP1 w/ Norma : 2" 10rd at 100 yards"

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/M...494845/&page=5

That is about what I would expect from a typical 5.56 fighting rifle.
Shooting with iron sights.

Not match grade,but at least for me,good enough.

It will be interesting to see what groups a skilled shooter with a good rest,good ammo and proper scope can achieve with this rifle.

I will post that info up here if/when it is available.

By the way that same thread has some pics that show how dead sexy the rifle looks in black as well-hope they don't mind that I borrowed them:

I have a black CETME L as well as my green-will post up pics of my black one soon.

Also, another free state guy picked up a green CETME L from Atlantic and made a video review that is pretty good:

https://youtu.be/JT8zp6DFLLs

Old 04-06-2019, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo399 View Post
Looks like a great rifle OP. Never was on my radar before. Love the pics!! Enjoy!!
Thanks. Yes a few months ago it was not on my radar either, but something about it intrigued me and then I ended up buying two.

Was hoping I didnít regret that decision, and so far so good!

Itís nice to have a common magazine usage as well.
Especially for a very common magazine.

A couple other stanag magazine accepting rifles I would like to get in the future are the Steyr AUG nato, and the Galil Ace 5.56.

If I ever get out of this state that I live in,some others that take AR mags that might end up in the safe would be FN FNC, Daewoo, and an AR 180.

If someone wanted to buy me a Famas for Xmas that would work too.

Old 04-07-2019, 6:36 AM
Veteran Member

What an outstanding post on a particularly interesting rifle thatís been on my radar since announced. I seriously appreciate your effort and really enjoyed it. Thank you have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2019, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebaneseblonde View Post
Dude. Great review. You should do this as a side gig.
Thanks for the compliment.

Currently contemplating some plastic mag modifications.

I picked up some more OK 30 rounders for the CETME L during the recent fracas, but I keep eyeballing one of my 20 round Pmags and my dremel tool.

It’s really close to locking in.

And the fit is actually less snug then some of the metal magazines that I have tried in the well.

It appears if I Dremel just a short section of the front of the magazine, I should be able to get it to lock in.

A quote from the factory Marcolmar manual gives me hope:

“Finally, P mags and many other polymer magazines will not work with your CETME L due to the angled mold line that corresponds to the bottom half of the AR-15 /M-16 mag well. If this molding feature is removed, we have successfully used P mags in the CETME L.”

I don’t know why I am so reluctant to take a Dremel tool to a $12 magazine...although I don’t know when I can get more of these anytime soon if I trash it-so perhaps that has something to do with it!

And the okays work great so I might just leave it alone.

Old 04-10-2019, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntax Error View Post
Nice, thorough review. Thanks for sharing, OP.
Thanks....Still debating on butchering a P mag........

Also after trying some other older surplus mags I had in storage -I updated my last post about the various brands other than OKay.

While some of them fit in the mag well kind of tight ,thereís still a few odd brands of BFI and Colt etc. that I canít even get in the mag well.

So again just stick with the OKay brand mags..