Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 07-15-2018, 7:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexisjohnson View Post
So can an 80% handgun be legally built at this point in cali?
i got a question say i dont want to do the ca doj serial number can i complete one in a nevada hotel room stamp a serial number on it then submit the new resident firearm import form?
Old 07-16-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanders View Post
Has anyone measured the height of their rails?

I think I may have flatten the rails on my FCU a bit too much. When I pull the trigger, the slide has a slight downward (the entire slide) movement toward the grip module. The trigger has a spongy feel. I've already replace the spring.

When I grip the slide, lifting upward and pulling the trigger, the trigger feel is crisper and less spongy. I'm going to measure the rail height and try bending rails to raise the height a little.
This!

I don’t know if it’s related to bending the rails too much. Perhaps the height thickness of the rails are not thick enough, if that makes any sense. There is too much tolerance.

But I definitely have slide movement when pulling the trigger and therefore accuracy is compromised. It actually really bothers me. If I get a chance I’ll take a short video to demonstrate the problem I have when pulling the trigger.

I’m pretty sure what you’re talking about, is what I have as well.

I’m curious to know if perhaps sig factory p320s have that tolerance movement when their trigger is pulled.
Old 07-16-2018, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pensiveape View Post
This!

I don’t know if it’s related to bending the rails too much. Perhaps the height thickness of the rails are not thick enough, if that makes any sense. There is too much tolerance.

But I definitely have slide movement when pulling the trigger and therefore accuracy is compromised. It actually really bothers me. If I get a chance I’ll take a short video to demonstrate the problem I have when pulling the trigger.

I’m pretty sure what you’re talking about, is what I have as well.

I’m curious to know if perhaps sig factory p320s have that tolerance movement when their trigger is pulled.
Google "Sig p320 slide hop" you'll get plenty of hits. Here's one:https://sigtalk.com/p250-p320-p365-p...ger-press.html
Old 07-16-2018, 4:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

This is normal even on factory p320s. This is most noticeable when you don’t have a mag inserted. Even an empty one will take out nearly all of the movement. With one round it won’t budge.
Kevin
Old 07-16-2018, 7:03 PM

Hey all!

My friend is having issues with his build, the trigger is getting stuck and doesn't reset after racking the slide and pulling the trigger.

It might be possible that part of his frame where the trigger holes are were bent and is causing some slop between the trigger and trigger bar. Most likely parts of the frame were viced too tight when securing it in place while removing the extra material for the post-upgrade disconnect.

If you see the pic with the yellow shop towel, the trigger is rubbing against the grip module.

I tried swapping my disconnect and trigger and it's the same issue.

The pic of the fcu and grip module where the trigger is not touching the grip module is my xcarry.

I wonder if he was to put his fcu in a jig and hammer it down perhaps it will get it back into shape? Otherwise, we don't have a jig, any recommendations on any other methods to stretch his fcu out?

Thanks!
Old 07-16-2018, 7:07 PM
Calguns Addict

my trigger sticks in different modules i actally think it was the fcu was not all the way fwd in the jig
Old 07-16-2018, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaJames83 View Post
my trigger sticks in different modules i actally think it was the fcu was not all the way fwd in the jig
Is yours fubar or have you been able to fix it?

Thx
Old 07-17-2018, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohoki View Post
i got a question say i dont want to do the ca doj serial number can i complete one in a nevada hotel room stamp a serial number on it then submit the new resident firearm import form?
I was thinking about this today too, and if you're just moving in as a new resident, might as well buy an actual P320 in Nevada before you have to deal with the roster.
Old 07-17-2018, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohoki View Post
I'm not sure what happens when someone who has a self-made gun moves to California and attempts to register it here. But if you're talking about being a California resident, travelling to Nevada and building a gun and bringing it back, then that is illegal since you are only able to acquire a handgun in your own state as far as I know.

Jeff
Old 07-17-2018, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnEnvy View Post
Hey all!

My friend is having issues with his build, the trigger is getting stuck and doesn't reset after racking the slide and pulling the trigger.

It might be possible that part of his frame where the trigger holes are were bent and is causing some slop between the trigger and trigger bar. Most likely parts of the frame were viced too tight when securing it in place while removing the extra material for the post-upgrade disconnect.

If you see the pic with the yellow shop towel, the trigger is rubbing against the grip module.

I tried swapping my disconnect and trigger and it's the same issue.

The pic of the fcu and grip module where the trigger is not touching the grip module is my xcarry.

I wonder if he was to put his fcu in a jig and hammer it down perhaps it will get it back into shape? Otherwise, we don't have a jig, any recommendations on any other methods to stretch his fcu out?

Thanks!

Look and see if the trigger is hitting the bottom of the trigger guard. One of mine did that and a couple of quick passes over the bottom of the trigger with the file fixed it.
Old 07-17-2018, 6:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Is yours fubar or have you been able to fix it?

Thx
Ive put about 500 rounds through it already and while It hasnt had any issued while live fire when just playing around in the garage the trigger will still occasionally hang up.
But I have to say this thing stock is great...
Xcarry frame with a 40 slide and 9mm barrel mix match of parts but I love it.

I will be making a few more of these in due time and hope I can figure out if it was the fcu being toward the back or not.

Never make yourself too available or useful...... Semper Fidelis

John Dickerson: What keeps you awake at night?
James Mattis: Nothing, I keep other people awake at night.

Old 07-19-2018, 4:23 PM

So my buddy and I compared our FCUs in the picture below, mine is on top and his is the bottom one.

His trigger hole is lower and larger and possibly causing the trigger slop. I'm thinking maybe the fcu is salvageable with jb weld, but we'll need a jig again. Does anyone have a jig they are willing to rent?

He did volreg so he's going to try whatever he can do to salvage it.

Thanks!
Old 07-31-2018, 10:47 AM

I am still working on my X5. One question though, what is the main reason to file down the insert (near the end)?

I don’t see it touch’s anything??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2018, 11:48 AM

No need to file if the sear housing fits with no interference.

Some early inserts had more material, so one had to remove some to fit housing.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g19222721 View Post
No need to file if the sear housing fits with no interference.

Some early inserts had more material, so one had to remove some to fit housing.

That insert looks like a second gen insert where that and the tab is already trimmed off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 07-31-2018, 12:25 PM

Thanks! That safety level (don’t know what it is called) move up n down without issue. I guess I am good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2018, 12:52 PM

Has anyone successfully made a .45ACP Version of the FCU with the MUP-1 insert and this jig? I have the insert and jig and I’d like to make a 45.
Old 08-06-2018, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benchmade View Post
Has anyone successfully made a .45ACP Version of the FCU with the MUP-1 insert and this jig? I have the insert and jig and I’d like to make a 45.
Yes sir. You just have to trim the ejector. Refer to 80percenter.com there is a writeup there.
Old 08-06-2018, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubrun View Post
Yes sir. You just have to trim the ejector. Refer to 80percenter.com there is a writeup there.
Thank you!
Old 08-07-2018, 11:17 AM

hey fellas,
am joining the party late, just got my 80% FCU and jig.

do I have to apply for a serial number from CA DOJ?

Thanks
Old 08-07-2018, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khamed View Post
do I have to apply for a serial number from CA DOJ?
Yes. See this thread for some information on the process. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1465311

tl;dr - It's much more complicated than merely sending an email to the CADOJ.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:15 PM

Good stuff...thanks kylix.rd
Old 08-19-2018, 5:51 PM

Like others have said, I too had issues with the rails being too low. I used a 20T press to set the rails. When I first went to assemble everything the safety bar was too high and prevented assembly of the slide. I double checked everything and eventually decided to bend the rails back up. This did the trick and everything assembled well.

I then noticed the downward movement of the slide others mentioned when I pulled the trigger. If I bent the rails up more I could get it to completely go away, but that was adding more side to side play since I already trimmed the rails. I ended up bending them back down to where the safety bar barely cleared the slide as with a loaded or empty mag installed the slide movement completely went away.

So the lesson is, bend the rails well, but not too well...
Old 08-25-2019, 1:44 PM

Default 45 app build

Quote:
Check out http://80percenter.com the pics and walk through moved to this blog.
I am trying to finish in 45 cap and have not been able to find the info needed to complete the frame with the correct ejector length to function correctly. 80percenter.com is down. Does anyone have this info. Thanks.
Old 08-27-2019, 9:46 AM

The JSD 80% insert comes configured for the small calibers, so in order to build a 45 acp the ejector needs to be trimmed down to 0.470”. ‘This is completed easily using a dremel and file to trim to final length.

This is directly from the 80 percents site (I have a pdf copy) and can verify that it works as I used it for my .45 ACP P320 build.

Last edited by Benchmade; 08-27-2019 at 9:49 AM..
Old 10-09-2019, 4:56 AM

Great thread and walk through.

In the process now.

As far as legal in Ca, have to request a serial number from DOJ and engrave it to be legal, based on what I have read.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:12 AM
I need a LIFE!!

If these rails are soft enough to bend, how long are they going to last in a gun?

Nobody does any heat treating, right?
Old 10-09-2019, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
If these rails are soft enough to bend, how long are they going to last in a gun?

Nobody does any heat treating, right?
Think of it like an AK's top guide rails. They should last a long time... and if it does not work, massage it with a hammer so it starts working again.