Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 04-23-2021, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post

The instructor needs the number on your approval email/letter to put on the form. Mine was the order number. What I would do is schedule pick up as soon as possible after scheduling the class.
This was the case for my initial and renewal training, the instructor asked for approval letter from the Sheriff. The same for other folks attending the class.

The instructor put this information on the training certificate, GP# or CII#.

Not sure how one would provide this if one has not been approved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2021, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadedM333 View Post
This was the case for my initial and renewal training, the instructor asked for approval letter from the Sheriff. The same for other folks attending the class.

The instructor put this information on the training certificate, GP# or CII#.

Not sure how one would provide this if one has not been approved.

The Permitium order numbers are generated when you submit your application.

There's no separate approval number that I've seen.
Old 04-23-2021, 12:11 PM

Default San Diego CCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz View Post

Interesting. Is the order number the same as GP# or CII#?
I didnít really check mine.

Last edited by LoadedM333; 04-23-2021 at 2:53 PM..
Old 04-23-2021, 5:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadedM333 View Post
Interesting. Is the order number the same as GP# or CII#?
I didnít really check mine.

I just checked my paperwork. He put the order number on my qual form, but said they were changing over to a new number system.

In any case, one can't do the qualifying without the approval number. Thats why I said once approved, set up the issue date ASAP. I followed their instructions (wait until after the class) and it cost me 3 weeks.
Old 04-26-2021, 6:22 PM

Do any of you have restrictions on your permit? What is the purpose of a restricted license and were you able to remove the restrictions at renewal?

I ask because a friend if mine is coming up on his renewal and was wondering how to get it removed.
Old 04-26-2021, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman81 View Post
Do any of you have restrictions on your permit? What is the purpose of a restricted license and were you able to remove the restrictions at renewal?

I ask because a friend if mine is coming up on his renewal and was wondering how to get it removed.
No restrictions on mine issued last August.
Old 04-26-2021, 7:07 PM

Quote:

Per SDCGO's presentation I saw SDSO is NO LONGER issuing limited purpose CCWs.

If you qualify based on BG Check, and good cause, you get an unlimited purpose CCW, even if your good cause is narrow in scope.

This is the main reason (I believe) that SDCGO recommends one good cause statement that works vs multiple GCs. Less paperwork for you, and less information for the BG investigator to go through = less bog for the system as a whole.

I had 3 GCs on mine, but I applied a year ago and was suspicious on this factor as I was concerned about a limited purpose CCW.

As for your friend's renewal, it might be removed automatically. Send SDSO an email. The current advice is not to call of you can avoid it.

If you get an answer about previously limited renewals becoming unlimited automatically or requiring a manual ask, you might send that over to SDCGO so they can update their FAQ.
Old 04-26-2021, 7:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Curious...what restrictions does your friend have? Is it something like, "he can only carry when it's work related, as work was his good cause?"

Fighter Pilot
Old 04-26-2021, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Per SDCGO's presentation I saw SDSO is NO LONGER issuing limited purpose CCWs.

If you qualify based on BG Check, and good cause, you get an unlimited purpose CCW, even if your good cause is narrow in scope.

This is the main reason (I believe) that SDCGO recommends one good cause statement that works vs multiple GCs. Less paperwork for you, and less information for the BG investigator to go through = less bog for the system as a whole.

I had 3 GCs on mine, but I applied a year ago and was suspicious on this factor as I was concerned about a limited purpose CCW.

As for your friend's renewal, it might be removed automatically. Send SDSO an email. The current advice is not to call of you can avoid it.

If you get an answer about previously limited renewals becoming unlimited automatically or requiring a manual ask, you might send that over to SDCGO so they can update their FAQ.
Couldn't find the fax section on sdcgo website. ... I'll check later on tonight for it again.
Old 04-26-2021, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84CABO View Post
Curious...what restrictions does your friend have? Is it something like, "he can only carry when it's work related, as work was his good cause?"
Yes , part of his GC was work related. So from what I know it's a standard license with his employers name on the restrictions line. Apparently he was told he can not use his ccw license while performing his work duties . Something along those lines.

He just wasn't sure why the restrictions. I advised him to reach out to the ccw department and see if they can give him more info.
Old 04-26-2021, 10:23 PM

Quote:

This is the first I have heard of a restricted license since Gore opened up the process over 3 years ago and announced no more restricted permits.

The more time I spend on this forum, the more sense kcbrown makes.
Old 04-26-2021, 10:36 PM

Quote:

...This is the main reason (I believe) that SDCGO recommends one good cause statement that works vs multiple GCs. Less paperwork for you, and less information for the BG investigator to go through = less bog for the system as a whole.
I must say I think this is an inexplicable oddity in the process. I can't see what logical purpose it serves to investigate other GC's once they have found one that they will approve. They should just stop there and issue, yet they do investigate. I have one GC that is well established as sufficient by itself, both for me on my initial application and for others as well. When I renewed I added a second and they asked for proof. I don't see the point.

Old 04-26-2021, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCaliber View Post
I must say I think this is an inexplicable oddity in the process. I can't see what logical purpose it serves to investigate other GC's once they have found one that they will approve. They should just stop there and issue, yet they do investigate. I have one GC that is well established as sufficient by itself, both for me on my initial application and for others as well. When I renewed I added a second and they asked for proof. I don't see the point.
My guess... It's to remove the bias in selection. Makes them less likely to be sued when the policy is 'check all facts on application for everyone.' Discretion and variability in the process can be made to look very bad if certain classes of people or certain GCs are treated differently.

Also, they might be looking for evidence of malfeasance/dishonesty... So the more data points you give them they want to check.

Also, Gore never wanted to issue CCWs IMO.

The main factors appear to be that City of Santee Council unanimously voted to request that SDSO approve CCW permits, with SDCGOs help... SDSO happens to get $20 mil a year from Santee and Santee does have a right to establish its own PD instead of SDSO contract if it wants to.

During reelection Gore was faced with his Lieutenant as his opponent. They were basically the same with exception of CCW and the LT was the only contender. The CCW issue was the only thing that would get support for his opponent.

Gore got strongarmed into issuing. He had the ability all along in his 12 years as Sheriff but risked losing $20 mil for the department and getting displaced by his 2nd.

He also probably doesn't want a Peruta repeat.

He's loosened the rules, but is probably looking for reasons to deny where possible.
Old 04-27-2021, 10:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I had my CCW appointment today. The experience is what most reported on here. I had to make some simple corrections that were left blank. I also had a lot of difficulty with the computer based finger printing machine. It took multiple attempts before a successful result. I was asked for a revised good cause statement before the meeting. I sent it through the Permitium site, but also brought a hard copy just in case.

I asked if my revised copy addressed their concerns. The employee told me that everything looked fine and there were no concerns about my revised copy. I ask her what the next steps were, and she told me that I would receive an email within 90 days and would need to take a course, upload the training certificate, and call to make an appointment to pick up the certificate.

She almost sounded like my application would be a done deal, but I do not want to get my hopes up. I will wait patiently for the email with no expectations to maintain my sanity. Haha. Everyone was very polite and respectful. I really thought they were efficient and organized.

Dano
San Diego County Gun Owners Patriot Member
What have you done for 2A lately?

Old 04-28-2021, 9:26 PM

In general it looks good. I would mention the ages of your children and add the point that in addition to your being unable to run due to both your medical condition AND pushing a stroller, your children are unable to run effectively and certainly not as a group. Next comes the question of documentation and proof. Any proof you can provide on your medical condition will help. If you qualify for a handicapped parking permit, take a photo of that. Include a photo of your kids showing their sizes. It would be great if you had a photo of coyotes or mountain lions in your area. Any other news reports or reports placed with animal control will help too. From what I can tell, the SDSO is very focused on documentation and proof. Any claim you make, no matter how much sense it makes, will not be considered seriously without some form of documentation.

Old 04-28-2021, 10:02 PM

Thank you so much for the insight!
I will make sure to elaborate on pushing the stroller while running and evading with my children who are 12, 4, and 2. I have medical documentation(diagnosis and treatment) as well as pictures of coyotes around my property that will be uploaded as evidence.

Thanks again!
Old 04-29-2021, 12:23 AM

It sounds like you are in good shape. Let us know how it goes.

Old 04-29-2021, 4:08 PM

Include pictures of the area as well as news articles of animal attacks. The articles need not be from the county or state; just a general increase in animal attacks.
Old 04-29-2021, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfansd View Post
Hey Everyone,

I am in the process of applying and could use feedback on my good cause statement.

Thank you,

Dear CCW Selection Committee,
My name is xxxxx, and I work as a Risk Management Intern at xxxx Corporation and am a stay-at-home father of 3. I am at a higher risk category than the general population as I have Psoriatic Arthritis. This diagnosis was made by Dr.xxxxx in 2014 after I had exhibited symptoms for some time. Psoriatic Arthritis is an incurable autoimmune disease that causes lesions on my skin as well as swelling in my joints. As a result of the severe swelling, I have had surgery on my foot and was out of work for more than a year as I was unable to walk due to swelling in my knee. While medications have helped limit these symptoms, they will never go away. To this day, I have trouble walking as there is constant pain in my right knee. Further, I find it difficult to walk longer distances without rest and am unable to run.
As a stay-at-home father, I am frequently taking walks with my children. These walks take place on the street near my home with the purpose of going to the park as well as general health. Furthermore, I have to leave my property and walk an estimated .1 mile to retrieve my mail on a daily basis. My house is located in a very rural part of Lakeside. Directly in front of my house is the El Monte Valley and my backyard connects directly to Louis Stelzer County Park. In my area, I frequently see Coyotes and have come across a deceased bobcat on the street in front of my property. I have also stumbled across what I believe to be mountain lion tracks. Similar sightings have been reported by other residents on my street and have even been reported by the San Diego Reader( https://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/...-get-air-horn/ ). I have come across coyotes multiple times on my walks and they stalking me and my children who were in their stroller. As well, I have seen packs of coyotes running from the open area across the street from my residence to the hills behind my house. On one occasion I had to hurry inside with my children to avoid danger from the group of 8 or so coyotes. I am afraid that I will be attacked by Coyotes, Mountain Lions, Bobcats, and other wild animals while I am walking with my children to the park and retrieving mail. My disability and animals living in my area put my life in direct danger. When one of these animals inevitably puts me in a life-threatening situation, I will be unable to run away due to my physical limitations. I have been a gun owner for almost 10 years, and have been correctly taught how to safely use a firearm. Because I have an autoimmune disease that puts me at a greater risk than the general population and limits my ability to evade environmental threats that exsist in the area I reside, I am requesting that I am approved for my California CCW Permit.
Sincerely,

xxxx
This looks good. You WILL need a doctor's note. Handicapped placard (as said above) will go a long way. Additionally, there are several recent (within a year or two) articles about coyote sightings and attacks - providing the links is good, but also include PDFs of those articles. Pictures pf where you walk are great as well.
BTW, you might want to look on San Diego Gun Owners Association's website for good causes. I'm pretty sure that you will find one there that looks a lot like yours!
Good luck!
Old 04-29-2021, 9:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfansd View Post
Hey Everyone,

I am in the process of applying and could use feedback on my good cause statement.

Thank you,

Dear CCW Selection Committee,
My name is xxxxx, and I work as a Risk Management Intern at xxxx Corporation and am a stay-at-home father of 3. I am at a higher risk category than the general population as I have Psoriatic Arthritis. This diagnosis was made by Dr.xxxxx in 2014 after I had exhibited symptoms for some time. Psoriatic Arthritis is an incurable autoimmune disease that causes lesions on my skin as well as swelling in my joints. As a result of the severe swelling, I have had surgery on my foot and was out of work for more than a year as I was unable to walk due to swelling in my knee. While medications have helped limit these symptoms, they will never go away. To this day, I have trouble walking as there is constant pain in my right knee. Further, I find it difficult to walk longer distances without rest and am unable to run.
As a stay-at-home father, I am frequently taking walks with my children. These walks take place on the street near my home with the purpose of going to the park as well as general health. Furthermore, I have to leave my property and walk an estimated .1 mile to retrieve my mail on a daily basis. My house is located in a very rural part of Lakeside. Directly in front of my house is the El Monte Valley and my backyard connects directly to Louis Stelzer County Park. In my area, I frequently see Coyotes and have come across a deceased bobcat on the street in front of my property. I have also stumbled across what I believe to be mountain lion tracks. Similar sightings have been reported by other residents on my street and have even been reported by the San Diego Reader( https://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/...-get-air-horn/ ). I have come across coyotes multiple times on my walks and they stalking me and my children who were in their stroller. As well, I have seen packs of coyotes running from the open area across the street from my residence to the hills behind my house. On one occasion I had to hurry inside with my children to avoid danger from the group of 8 or so coyotes. I am afraid that I will be attacked by Coyotes, Mountain Lions, Bobcats, and other wild animals while I am walking with my children to the park and retrieving mail. My disability and animals living in my area put my life in direct danger. When one of these animals inevitably puts me in a life-threatening situation, I will be unable to run away due to my physical limitations. I have been a gun owner for almost 10 years, and have been correctly taught how to safely use a firearm. Because I have an autoimmune disease that puts me at a greater risk than the general population and limits my ability to evade environmental threats that exsist in the area I reside, I am requesting that I am approved for my California CCW Permit.
Sincerely,

xxxx
Fellow Lakeside resident myself. There have been several articles of mountain lions killing goats in the El Monte Valley. You should look them up. If you can't find them, you might want to contact Billy Lakeside Oriz. He has a Facebook page by that name.
San Diego County Gun Owners Patriot Member
What have you done for 2A lately?

Old 04-30-2021, 8:50 AM

Has anyone had any experience with a change in your good cause for obtaining a CCW after being issued a permit? Also any experience with a change in good cause on renewal from your original CCW issuance?
Thank you
Old 04-30-2021, 4:22 PM

I know you canít ccw in schools k-12 but is ccw allowed on college campuses ? Just want to double check. Thanks in advance !

Old 05-02-2021, 2:39 PM

What restrictions are there on modifications to your carry weapon? RDS, changing springs, changing triggers, must be stock?
Old 05-02-2021, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy_O. View Post
I know you canít ccw in schools k-12 but is ccw allowed on college campuses ? Just want to double check. Thanks in advance !

The class I took said no, and also firearms aren't allowed on college campuses at all (even locked up in the car trunk). I don't think that's necessarily the case in all states but that's what the instructor said for CA.
Old 05-02-2021, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanty3y3s View Post
What restrictions are there on modifications to your carry weapon? RDS, changing springs, changing triggers, must be stock?
Not sure there are any official restrictions but any changes to your weapon’s performance could be used against you in case you ever have to shoot someone so all CCW instructors in California will tell you not to upgrade anything that could be construed as an attempt to kill more efficiently.
A change of nitron sights to fiber optic sights should be fine, a change in trigger pull to a lighter one is seen as a big no no.
Old 05-02-2021, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuillermoAntonio View Post
Not sure there are any official restrictions but any changes to your weaponís performance could be used against you in case you ever have to shoot someone so all CCW instructors in California will tell you not to upgrade anything that could be construed as an attempt to kill more efficiently.
A change of nitron sights to fiber optic sights should be fine, a change in trigger pull to a lighter one is seen as a big no no.
Would a change in trigger to a more defined wall but not lighter in pull be kosher?
Old 05-02-2021, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanty3y3s View Post
Would a change in trigger to a more defined wall but not lighter in pull be kosher?
Anything is cool until you end up in court. Hopefully that never happens.
Canít make such a decision for you....
Old 05-05-2021, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someday View Post
This looks good. You WILL need a doctor's note. Handicapped placard (as said above) will go a long way. Additionally, there are several recent (within a year or two) articles about coyote sightings and attacks - providing the links is good, but also include PDFs of those articles. Pictures pf where you walk are great as well.
BTW, you might want to look on San Diego Gun Owners Association's website for good causes. I'm pretty sure that you will find one there that looks a lot like yours!
Good luck!
Thanks for the advice. My doctor sent over a note to include with submission.
Old 05-05-2021, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Include pictures of the area as well as news articles of animal attacks. The articles need not be from the county or state; just a general increase in animal attacks.
Thank you, I will be attaching pictures of the area including pictures of coyotes and a bobcat adjacent to my property.
Old 05-05-2021, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danodog View Post
Fellow Lakeside resident myself. There have been several articles of mountain lions killing goats in the El Monte Valley. You should look them up. If you can't find them, you might want to contact Billy Lakeside Oriz. He has a Facebook page by that name.
Thank you for the help! I will investigate further
Old 05-05-2021, 5:52 PM

@indyfansd Keep us updated. Good luck!
Old 05-14-2021, 11:12 AM

It has been 45 days since my appointment. Officially halfway through the 90 day waiting period. It’s been dead silent- not a word from Miranda or the Sheriff, and no residence check.

Any tips? Should I book my course and go for it?
Old 05-14-2021, 11:28 AM

So if you are waiting to hear about approval, there is no reason to book your training yet. You only need to have that before your pick-up date, and unless you have unusual scheduling issues, you should have plenty of time to get your training done in the period between when you are notified of approval and your scheduled pick up date.

Old 05-14-2021, 11:48 AM

SDbiotech
It has been 45 days since my appointment. Officially halfway through the 90 day waiting period. Itís been dead silent- not a word from Miranda or the Sheriff, and no residence check.

Same here. I am 30 days in and I also have not had any contact with Miranda or the Sheriffs department or a residence check. I hope this means no news is good news. Hopefully there is light at the end of this long tunnel.
Old 05-14-2021, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustno12373 View Post
SDbiotech
It has been 45 days since my appointment. Officially halfway through the 90 day waiting period. Itís been dead silent- not a word from Miranda or the Sheriff, and no residence check.

Same here. I am 30 days in and I also have not had any contact with Miranda or the Sheriffs department or a residence check. I hope this means no news is good news. Hopefully there is light at the end of this long tunnel.
Pretty normal.

I don't think they even START doing most significant things until near the end.

I didn't hear from the BI until maybe 75 days or so?

The wheels turn slowly and it's all crickets. I get the sense to follow up, but probably just bogs things down as a whole.

They're obligated by law to finish in 90 days.... and they're using almost all of it for most people.
Old 05-14-2021, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Pretty normal.

I don't think they even START doing most significant things until near the end.

I didn't hear from the BI until maybe 75 days or so?

The wheels turn slowly and it's all crickets. I get the sense to follow up, but probably just bogs things down as a whole.

They're obligated by law to finish in 90 days.... and they're using almost all of it for most people.

Thank you for sharing your experience. As long as things are chugging along, canít complain.

Old 05-18-2021, 11:35 AM

A buddy of mine just applied for his CCW and his appointment is scheduled for February 2023.

Just an update on initial appointment times.
Old 05-18-2021, 11:49 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
A buddy of mine just applied for his CCW and his appointment is scheduled for February 2023.

Just an update on initial appointment times.
Damn thatís insane. My guess it will get moved up considerably as we move out of covid madness.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 05-18-2021, 12:23 PM

That is pretty crazy! Any idea how long it takes to add a firearm?
Old 05-18-2021, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemantra View Post
That is pretty crazy! Any idea how long it takes to add a firearm?
I added one very recently and it was much quicker. I think about 3 weeks.