Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated > Semiauto Rifles Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Semiauto Rifles Gallery Post pictures of your rifles and carbines here!

Old 10-20-2018, 11:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Rifle looks like it weighs 15 lbs
Old 10-20-2018, 5:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toamaius View Post

See how easy a fixed magazine rifle is vs a featureless rifle that has a flash hider looking comp?

No, You’re not done yet. The PC itself doesn’t define fixed. You still have to reference regs to differentiate fixed from detachable. It’s no less muddy than whether the muzzle device actually, or was designed to, hides flash.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / CRPA / FPC / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member
Old 10-21-2018, 9:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmorgul View Post

I have more than one law enforcement friend that I had to inform just that there are changes in these laws not just that there are specifics. That does not make them dumb *** cops, it makes them busy, overworked, and expected to memorize a ridiculous set of codes. They should not enforce something they don’t understand, but to respond as you do when they may not know the law will for sure get your gun impounded... not because they are “dumb *** cops” but because you are uninformed and unable to respond as an adult.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / CRPA / FPC / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member

Sorry buddy but ignorance of the law is no excuse, if we as citizens are to be held accountable to know every word of it then I 1000% expect that someone who has been tasked with upholding those laws knows them as well.

If they can't learn the laws as fast as the state has mandated me to then they should find alternative employment for my safety and theirs.

--TonyNorCal

Quoted from TheExpertish's Mosin Group Buy Clusterf**k Refund Thread
Old 10-22-2018, 4:59 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDew View Post
Sorry buddy but ignorance of the law is no excuse
I clearly did not excuse any officer from a responsibility to know the law, what I said was that not knowing it does not make them dumb-*** cops and I’ll stand by that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDew View Post
if we as citizens are to be held accountable to know every word of it then I 1000% expect that someone who has been tasked with upholding those laws knows them as well.

If they can't learn the laws as fast as the state has mandated me to then they should find alternative employment for my safety and theirs.
Or the state shouldn’t be so stupid to make the law so difficult. If you think you understand all the law you’re lying to yourself. But you are responsible to obey it all just like they are responsible to know it to enforce.

Again, I excused no one, simply said the problem is not the cops being dumbasses.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
Old 10-22-2018, 8:14 AM

Quote:
it makes them busy, overworked, and expected to memorize a ridiculous set of codes. They should not enforce something they don’t understand, but
Quote:
I clearly did not excuse any officer from a responsibility to know the law, what I said was that not knowing it does not make them dumb-*** cops and I’ll stand by that.

The simple fact that you listed three different excuses including "expected to memorize a ridiculous set of codes'' ( as if we aren't) and then stated "they shouldn't, but" means you have excused them from being responsible for knowing the law they are attempting to improperly enforce.

Being ignorant of the law does not necessarily make them "dumbass cops", however improperly and illegally enforcing the law does, by definition, make them "dumbass cops".

Quote:
Or the state shouldn’t be so stupid to make the law so difficult. If you think you understand all the law you’re lying to yourself. But you are responsible to obey it all just like they are responsible to know it to enforce.

Again, I excused no one, simply said the problem is not the cops being dumbasses.
I understand it enough that my property is legally configured, that is what I demand each police officer understand or I demand they recuse themselves and call a superior who does.

--TonyNorCal

Quoted from TheExpertish's Mosin Group Buy Clusterf**k Refund Thread
Old 11-14-2018, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Do you want to explain to all of us exactly what a flash hider “looks like” since it seems so clear in your mind? Try referencing the law while you do.

Edit: I’ll jump to the point... your response about “dumb *** cop” is just as uninformed as the hypothetical officer you reference. If you cannot inform them specifically about the legality of your firearm and why it is so then you shouldn’t own it for your own good. To say “that looks scary don’t do it” is EXACTLY what the gun grabbers want. To play that game is unacceptable to me; sure you can make your own decision, but to then also rail against “dumb *** cops” is ironic.

I have more than one law enforcement friend that I had to inform just that there are changes in these laws not just that there are specifics. That does not make them dumb *** cops, it makes them busy, overworked, and expected to memorize a ridiculous set of codes. They should not enforce something they don’t understand, but to respond as you do when they may not know the law will for sure get your gun impounded... not because they are “dumb *** cops” but because you are uninformed and unable to respond as an adult.

The device referenced is a muzzle brake because the exit hole is bore diameter, the holes vent gasses into the shooters vision not away, and it is specifically marketed as a brake.

And the bigger irony is by choosing to go fixed mag you are ALOT more likely to have to explain yourself to an officer than a featureless build because your rifle by appearance violates the law whereas you argue that merely having a brake that may appear to be a flash hider is so scary.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
I'm a Carpenter, If I don't know how to use my hammer, I'm a dumb Carpenter.

If you have a job that requires upholding the law, Then they should be expected to KNOW what the law is.

Is this the one you have on your AR?

https://www.opticsplanet.com/yankee-...2-28-thre.html

If so, that one is CA compliant then right?

It even says it in the description This is not a flash hider.

I have the same one on my AR-15.

Last edited by eXcision; 11-14-2018 at 9:55 PM..
Old 11-15-2018, 4:32 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXcision View Post
I'm a Carpenter, If I don't know how to use my hammer, I'm a dumb Carpenter.

If you have a job that requires upholding the law, Then they should be expected to KNOW what the law is.

Is this the one you have on your AR?

https://www.opticsplanet.com/yankee-...2-28-thre.html

If so, that one is CA compliant then right?

It even says it in the description This is not a flash hider.

I have the same one on my AR-15.

Yes I have one of these on a featureless rifle and am personally confident it is justifiably “not a flash hider”. There is another version of this that has a large opening and is a flash hider and no ok for featureless, but the glass breaker tangs look different and it is recognizable.

https://yhm.net/phantom-5-56mm-comp-...ider-1114.html

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
Old 11-15-2018, 9:08 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Do you want to explain to all of us exactly what a flash hider “looks like” since it seems so clear in your mind? Try referencing the law while you do.

Edit: I’ll jump to the point... your response about “dumb *** cop” is just as uninformed as the hypothetical officer you reference. If you cannot inform them specifically about the legality of your firearm and why it is so then you shouldn’t own it for your own good. To say “that looks scary don’t do it” is EXACTLY what the gun grabbers want. To play that game is unacceptable to me; sure you can make your own decision, but to then also rail against “dumb *** cops” is ironic.

The device referenced is a muzzle brake because the exit hole is bore diameter, the holes vent gasses into the shooters vision not away, and it is specifically marketed as a brake.

And the bigger irony is by choosing to go fixed mag you are ALOT more likely to have to explain yourself to an officer than a featureless build because your rifle by appearance violates the law whereas you argue that merely having a brake that may appear to be a flash hider is so scary.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA

Personally, I have an issue with the bold part.

For clarity, if I was talking with a LEO in passing, without a firearm on my person, I have no problem discussing laws with them. However, if I happened to have a firearm with me and I was engaged a consensual or non-consensual stop, I am not explaining anything to them. I would choose to retain and exercise my 5th amendment, no matter how painful it is. But that is my choice.

I also would never recommend anyone to engage a LEO while being stopped with a firearm, as to the legality of your firearm. Sadly, you will have to accept the consequences, hire a lawyer and then potentially sue for unlawful arrest and confiscation of property.

I imagine that if the city/county is being sued regularly due to LEOs making the wrong decision, they will get educated quick.

Call me what you will, but I don't trust or have faith in the law enforcement community. I am white too. Your roadside, range side or BLM side explanation over the legality of your firearm could lead to your arrest and prosecution. Sadly, LEOs aren't here to help you do it right anymore. It isn't catch, educate and release. In my experience, it is an US vs. THEM mentality and they are looking for a felony arrest. It looks good for them and their agency.
Old 11-15-2018, 1:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Technically, I said you need to be informed enough to... not that you should in any or every situation be explaining yourself. Use your discretion, or your rights, as you deem appropriate. But you should still be informed enough to...

Andrew - Lancaster, CA