Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 03-27-2015, 11:36 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Angry C&R handgun PPT with FFL03+COE - DOJ gave me "answers"

Hey everyone,
We all know that handguns have to be transferred through an FFL01-but here are the issues that some of you may have experienced for yourself. I ran into this issue with the Radom VIS35 I PPT'd last month, but I wasnt buying another pistol at the time so I waited out the 10 days.

-Dealer inventory C&R handgun - Take it home the same day with a FFL03 and COE, the DROS entry screen has a "collector" option - no issue

-C&R handgun shipped to the FFL01- Take it home the same day with a FFL03 and COE, the DROS entry screen has a "collector" option - no issue

-FTF PPT C&R handgun - No collector wait exemption. Nowhere does it note "C&R" Must wait 10 days - ISSUE!!!!!!

My circumstances:

-I am starting DROS on a CZ75B on April 7th when it clears consignment cool down.
-I am looking to buy a C&R handgun PPT the same time

Concerns:

-Since I am buying two handguns, I am afraid they will delay one DROS for the 1 in 30 rule, which applies only to the CZ. For the C&R handgun, I am technically exempt with the FFL03 and COE but there is no way to show this exemption on the PPT DROS submission.

Phone call with the DOJ:
Friendly and courteous, so I will give them that.

I asked about the 10 day exemption when it comes to C&R PPT with FFL03+COE, and they confirmed "yes, you will have to wait 10 days". I countered with the CA penal code, and asked why PPT was different to dealer inventory, their answer was "I dont know".

Does anyone know whats up with the messed up DROS system other than its a** backwards?

A few of those....A couple of that....but just enough to have fun :D

Last edited by 81turbota; 03-27-2015 at 11:47 AM..
Old 03-27-2015, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

1) 1-30 doesn't apply to a PPT*. Nothing special needs to be marked for 1-30 in this case. It doesn't matter if the gun is C&R or not, PPTs are 1-30 exempt.

* PPT meaning the buyer and seller are both physically present at the FFL and have a CA ID, CA DL, or MIL ID with CA Station Orders. Anything else is not a PPT. (1-30 still may not apply during a dealer sale) If the transaction you are asking about is NOT a PPT please let me know so I can provide the correct answer.

2) Don't talk to the DOJ phone people. You are wasting your time. See the FAQ on the DOJ website.
http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs#18

Quote:
18. Are there any exemptions to the waiting period?

For most people - no. However certain exemptions do exist for the following:

a. Firearms dealers and persons who have obtained special weapons permits issued by DOJ are exempt from the waiting period.

b. Persons with curio and relic collector's licenses issued by the ATF and who have a valid Certificate of Eligibility issued by the DOJ are exempt from the waiting period only when purchasing curio and relic firearms.

(PC sections 12078 (a)(r)(t))
3) Have your dealer follow the instructions for the "Waiting Period Exemption" on the Curio/Relic Handgun Sale page located on page 46 of the CA DOJ Firearms Dealership User Guide

The information posted here is not legal advice. If you seek legal advice hire an attorney who is familiar with all the facts of your case.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81turbota View Post

-C&R handgun shipped to the FFL01- Take it home the same day with a FFL03 and COE, the DROS entry screen has a "collector" option - no issue
If the problem is software design of the "PPT" portion of the DROS, then just have the dealer do it as a dealer sale.

The dealer can take the C&R handgun into their inventory while the seller is standing there (just like if it was shipped in), then they can transfer it to you directly using the collector wait exemption.

Alternatively, I am fairly certain the dealer has an option to skip the 10-day wait using a generic "no waiting period" exemption within the PPT screen, and then can note the C&R + COE in the notes.

The information posted here is not legal advice. If you seek legal advice hire an attorney who is familiar with all the facts of your case.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thank you very much Lorax, very useful information. I am glad to know it wont ping the 1 in 30 radar and it can be sold as dealer inventory.

There is a unique issue with C&R PPT software.

I sat with my FFL when PPT'd the VIS35, there is no collector option when you try to select the waiting period exemption, the available ones IIRC are CFD number and special weapons permit. The collector option is there for regular DROS, but not the PPT screen. We were both confused, and just decided to wait it out.

A few of those....A couple of that....but just enough to have fun :D
Old 03-27-2015, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorax3 View Post
1) 1-30 doesn't apply to a PPT*. Nothing special needs to be marked for 1-30 in this case. It doesn't matter if the gun is C&R or not, PPTs are 1-30 exempt.
Unless you are in the city of Los Angeles ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleighter View Post
Getting legal advice from a gun salesman, is like getting medical advice from a janitor at a hospital. Both make about the same per hour and both prove that being around something all day doesn't make you an expert.

Lifetime NRA member.
Old 03-27-2015, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorax3 View Post
If the problem is software design of the "PPT" portion of the DROS, then just have the dealer do it as a dealer sale.

The dealer can take the C&R handgun into their inventory while the seller is standing there (just like if it was shipped in), then they can transfer it to you directly using the collector wait exemption.

Alternatively, I am fairly certain the dealer has an option to skip the 10-day wait using a generic "no waiting period" exemption within the PPT screen, and then can note the C&R + COE in the notes.
Tough part is finding a dealer who will actually do this. Most that I've talked to don't want to deal with it.