Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 06-24-2020, 1:01 PM
- DVC - Mojave Lever Crew
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default What's the Next Best Thing to a CZ 550 in .375 H&H?

Why, a Zastava-built Mauser imported by Interarms, of course!

IMG_1578.jpg

This is an Interarms Mark X. Unsure of the date of manufacture and won't know until at least July 8 when I bring it home (will be out of town until then).

It is not a Whitworth. It may be a Mark X Alaskan, which were chambered in either .375 Holland & Holland or .458 Winchester Magnum.

I say it's not a Whitworth because I did not see any Whitworth logo stamped or engraved on the receiver ring. This rifle is however fitted with what Whitworth Mark X rifles were fitted with:

A 3-leaf express rear sight, a ramp hooded front sight, a classic English stock style with a red rubber recoil pad, an ebony forend tip and the front QD sling swivel mounted on the barrel.

IMG_1579.jpg

Honestly, I don't know what I (will) have here, save to say it is one hell of a value in a stout, well-made Mauser action and chambered in .375 Holland & Holland.

This would not have been possible if it weren't for Ray PDA here on calguns, a member too of the MLC. I had been wanting a .375. He texted me *last night* about this rifle. He wanting a left-hand action is my good fortune.

THANK YOU again, Ray! for your consideration. I am a fortunate man, indeed.

"[The Left] will not accept the truth that if you take all the guns off the street you still will have a crime problem, whereas if you take the criminals off the street you will not have a gun problem." - Jeff Cooper

."Get a proper holster, and go hot. The End." - splithoof

.Member NRA and Mojave Lever Crew | Stuck somewhere between Cowboy and Tactical | Bolts, levers, single actions and 1911s | 1A - 2A = -1A
Old 06-24-2020, 2:10 PM
Veteran Member

Chris, you have found a VERY good rifle in that Interarms Mark X! I had one in 7 mm RM some years ago. A fabulous rifle. Only reason I sold it, I stopped hunting in 2012 and bought a couple of shotguns. I think you're really going to enjoy that Mark X. PDA steered you in the right direction here. Enjoy!

MLC
Old 06-24-2020, 3:11 PM
Veteran Member

Excellent!
Start buying reloading components.
What barrel length is that?......we may have to compare velocities using my radar.
I loaded up some fun "softball" loads with Trail Boss and 235 grain Speer soft points; my daughter was easily nailing 8" steel at 200 yards from sitting.
Watch Midway for sales on 300 grain bonded seconds. I've had very good accuracy using those loaded to factory specs.
Next will be an optic with QD rings....I'm using a Leupold 1-4X w/plex.
You already have a great sling.
Old 06-24-2020, 3:17 PM

Chris: you need to start learning to shoot that gun with some nice Reduced Power Handloads.

If you don't reload your own ammo it is going to be a painful and expensive gun to learn to shoot.

But in any event you done good!

The Mark X guns are excellent Mausers that don't cost a zillion $!

Good Luck and I can help with a reloading tool for that gun.

www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Randy
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
Old 06-24-2020, 3:29 PM

Woot!

Glad to help and happy that it found a perfect home. I had seen it on the rack for sometime, and when the consigner dropped the price I even dm’ed a regular in cg who was into the big bores hoping someone good would snag it; if only I had known you were searching for a .375 sooner lol. Yea, lefty in a right hand world ...hahah

Ps you’ll have to let me put some rounds through it someday
Old 06-24-2020, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Ps you’ll have to let me put some rounds through it someday

Absolutely. I'll be shooting some of my milder handloads, but when I hand it over to you it'll be loaded with the full-throttle stuff. Just because.

Randy! Randy, Randy... I do indeed, I do. I use an RCBS single stage press. But while we're at it, someone! throw out a favorite die maker for this caliber. I have many die sets made by RCBS which I obviously favor for .45ACP, .357, .41, .44 and .45-70... I went with Lee for my .30-30.

Quickly! now, before I order another RCBS die set. Sho0t, now that I think about it, I should contact the new reloading store at Angeles... or/and Phillips.

Thanks for your replies, fellers. I still cannot believe it. Finally have a .375 Holland & Holland.

"[The Left] will not accept the truth that if you take all the guns off the street you still will have a crime problem, whereas if you take the criminals off the street you will not have a gun problem." - Jeff Cooper

.Member NRA and Mojave Lever Crew | Stuck somewhere between Cowboy and Tactical | Bolts, levers, single actions and 1911s | 1A - 2A = -1A

Last edited by 200Apples; 06-24-2020 at 8:59 PM..
Old 06-24-2020, 4:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Congratulations, it's looks great. All the Whitworth, Mark X, Charles Daley, Remington 798 (Zastava made Mausers) are great rifles.

I have the left handed Zastava in 458 Win mag. I love the metal work on them but the Mark X and the Whitworth had the best designed stocks.

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 06-24-2020, 5:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200Apples View Post
Absolutely. I'll be shooting some of my milder handloads, but when I hand it over to you it'll be loaded with the full-throttle stuff. Just because.

Randy! Randy, Randy... I do indeed, I do. I use an RCBS single stage press. But while we're at it, someone! throw out a favorite die maker for this caliber. I have many die sets made by RCBS which I obviously favor for .45ACP, .357, .41, .44 and .45-70... I went with Lee for my .30-30.

Quickly! now, before I order another RCBS die set. Sho0t, now that I think about it, I should contact the new reloading store at Angeles... or/and Phillips.

Thanks for your replies, fellers. I still cannot believe it. Finally have a .357 Holland & Holland.

Hornady are the dies I use for my .375 H&H. Don't forget the shell holder.
Never have had any issue with cases failing around the belt.
Part #546416. RCBS shell holder #04; part #09204.

You will need a trimmer eventually, however the "standard" sized trimmers aren't big enough. I use the L.E. Wilson lathe-type trimmer sized for the .50BMG, part #CTS-50MKIT. You will also need the correct trimmer collet; Wilson part #CH-375HH.

All that kit fits very conviently in one of those plastic Harbor Freight .30 cal ammo boxes to keep the dust off.

Your RCBS Rockchucker will work well. If you aren't using an electric powder dispenser, consider that as well, or at least an electronic scale & trickler.

Check your case loading block; being that you load .45-70, it may be GTG.
The MTM R-100 series ammo box will fit your loaded rounds.

There are a few more points; text me later.
Old 06-24-2020, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Fjold

Congratulations, it's looks great. All the Whitworth, Mark X, Charles Daley, Remington 798 (Zastava made Mausers) are great rifles.

I have the left handed Zastava in 458 Win mag. I love the metal work on them but the Mark X and the Whitworth had the best designed stocks.

Thank you, Frank. Means a lot coming from you.

Quote:
SplitHo0f

Hornady are the dies I use for my .375 H&H. Don't forget the shell holder.
Never have had any issue with cases failing around the belt.
Part #546416. RCBS shell holder #04; part #09204.

You will need a trimmer eventually, however the "standard" sized trimmers aren't big enough. I use the L.E. Wilson lathe-type trimmer sized for the .50BMG, part #CTS-50MKIT. You will also need the correct trimmer collet; Wilson part #CH-375HH.

All that kit fits very conviently in one of those plastic Harbor Freight .30 cal ammo boxes to keep the dust off.

Your RCBS Rockchucker will work well. If you aren't using an electric powder dispenser, consider that as well, or at least an electronic scale & trickler.

Check your case loading block; being that you load .45-70, it may be GTG.
The MTM R-100 series ammo box will fit your loaded rounds.

Holy Toledo, Ohio! Thanks split! I will need that bigger case trimmer.

We will txt later.

Old 06-24-2020, 7:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

When you set your sizing die, ignore the belt. Get a fired case from your rifle and set up the sizing die to just kiss the shoulder back no more than .002". Because the H&H has the long sloping case with the small shoulder it has a tendency to grow quickly. If you give it less room to expand it will save you a lot of case life. I get more than a dozen reloads before the primer pockets gets loose and never have an issue with case length.

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 06-24-2020, 9:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Why, a Zastava-built Mauser imported by Interarms, of course!
Does this mean that you are no longer interested in buying my 375 Ruger?

Nice rifle! Should be a lot of fun.

-- Michael
Old 06-24-2020, 10:43 PM

My first thought after reading the title of this thread was to say a CZ 550 chambered in 9.3X62 Mauser, is the next best thing.
Old 06-25-2020, 7:06 AM

Nice score my friend! Now that'll be a pig thumper!
Old 06-25-2020, 9:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunDog View Post

My first thought after reading the title of this thread was to say a CZ 550 chambered in 9.3X62 Mauser, is the next best thing.

Well, of course.

But if one weren't speaking specifically of the CZ 550 yet were! speaking of a .375 Holland & Holland Magnum... and for the money, see.

So, "What's the next best thing to a CZ 550 in a less expensive rifle chambered in .375?

It'd be the rifle in the OP... or we just go and get a Mossberg Patriot in .375 Ruger.

I could be wrong. I am often wrong, just never in doubt.

Old 06-25-2020, 9:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsewright View Post

Nice score my friend! Now that'll be a pig thumper!

O Si! Senor... Gracias. And we can build some pig smashers that we can shoot a lot of! too.

yeehaw

Old 06-25-2020, 11:07 AM

Apples,
Great pickup. You have the endorsement of our big/dangerous game experts and that says it all.
Is it true you plan to rent the LA Forum as a gun safe for your ultimate collection? lol
Old 06-25-2020, 2:57 PM

Hah. I bet the number of firearms in your personal armory far outnumber mine.

I lost most of my collection in a terrible boating accident. All I have today is one rifle and one safe.

Old 06-25-2020, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Hah. I bet the number of firearms in your personal armory far outnumber mine.

I lost most of my collection in a terrible boating accident. All I have today is one rifle and one safe.

That actually happened to another holster maker I know. Bad water, bad.
Old 06-27-2020, 9:36 AM

Bad!

Wuz out fishin. Got a lil' breezy. Boat started rockin. Next thing I know we wuz swimmin!

forrest.jpg

And the water, just like that, it swallerd up all muh gunz!

Oh well, at least I have this Mark X...

I now report to my colleague and mentor, SplitHoof.

Sir, I have procured said necessary tools, devices and most componentry and it damned near cost me the price of another gun.

L.E. Wilson case trimmer, a Wilson case holder, Hornady dies, RCBS shell holder, a .375" RCBS puller collet, some of the desired factory second projectiles, some Barnes TSX, some PPU brass, a Lee collet neck sizer die (for those times when)... will need primers but have plenty of RL15 and Varget on hand, even AA5574 for some 225 grain bullet reduced recoil loads published in the Hornady manual. All of it arrives *after* the rifle comes home so I won't be able to assemble anything beforehand.

Already have my RCBS Loadmaster Combo for metering propellants, loading trays. Will need the MTM R-100 and some 225 grain Hornady to assemble practice rounds. As such, a 225 @ 2000-2100 doesn't sound bad.

300 grains @ 2500, on the other hand...

Proud to have acquired a .375 Holland & Holland-chambered rifle.

Old 06-27-2020, 6:07 PM

Chris: now all you need is one of these!!!

Randy

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100464267.JPG (77.5 KB, 115 views)

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
Old 06-27-2020, 7:23 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

No fair. I want a 375H&H.
Old 06-28-2020, 8:12 AM

Quote:
No fair. I want a 375H&H.

Oh, yeah? Well, I'll have you know, mister! that you have at least! three rifles I would like to own... so there's that.

And if you were to offer them to me in trade for my newly- (about-to-be-) acquired Mark X .375 H&H I still! wouldn't trade.

Old 06-28-2020, 10:38 AM

Apples, is that recent boating mishap?
Old 06-28-2020, 11:01 AM

It was the most recent, yes.

Happens all the time!

Such luck...

Old 06-28-2020, 11:20 AM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Oh, yeah? Well, I'll have you know, mister! that you have at least! three rifles I would like to own... so there's that.

And if you were to offer them to me in trade for my newly- (about-to-be-) acquired Mark X .375 H&H I still! wouldn't trade.

I don't know why you have to be so rude to me!!!
Old 06-28-2020, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post

I don't know why you have to be so rude to me!!!

There, there, my good man.

It has been said we only hurt the ones we love!

Old 06-28-2020, 3:26 PM

2.5 hours later...

Spyder, lest I get or have already gotten carried away, please know that I am only joking around with you.

Of course it isn't fair. and for any of my wisecracks in reply to your comment, I apologize in case you might have taken them seriously.

You see, absent your use of any , or emoticons, I must assume you are serious, and it is for that which I am remorseful.

Your calguns friend and MLC brother,

Apples

Last edited by 200Apples; 06-28-2020 at 3:30 PM..
Old 06-29-2020, 9:36 AM

Yeah, and you didn't get one of my Hand Presses either! You bought that gun and all that stuff and left me out.

What's wrong with you? You're just mean ! Wahhhh!

Time to pile on Chris,, Mob tactics seem to be working right now, so lets Shame him into giving us that new gun! Lets de-fund his gun buying habit. OLM Old Lives Matter !

Randy

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 06-29-2020 at 9:42 AM..
Old 06-29-2020, 11:48 AM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Quote:
2.5 hours later...

Spyder, lest I get or have already gotten carried away, please know that I am only joking around with you.

Of course it isn't fair. and for any of my wisecracks in reply to your comment, I apologize in case you might have taken them seriously.

You see, absent your use of any , or emoticons, I must assume you are serious, and it is for that which I am remorseful.

Your calguns friend and MLC brother,

Apples
Don't you worry. I don't get mad over things on the internet.
Old 06-29-2020, 4:34 PM

lol Spyder. 10-4.

Cheeeziss! Randy...

Went shooin' this mornin' at my most-local outdoor range (Angeles) and it was crowded! even at opening time... on a Monday, yet. Guess there're still a few folkses ain't workin (like me).

Today! is my 65th trip around the sun. Leave your best wishes, won't you?

No, not you, Spyder and Randy. You two done gone n' hurtin mah feelz.

Anyhoo... before I left the range I stopped in to the reloading store and saved some shipping and hazmat fees. Came home with a pound of IMR 4227 for some practice loads using 270 or 300 grainers, along with some lighter weight Speers at 235 grains for use with AA5744.

Old 06-29-2020, 10:40 PM

Happy birthday Chris! May your year be filled with great deals on levers, wheelguns, and classy rifles.

I think Buchanan should give you a bday discount on a press
Old 06-30-2020, 5:04 AM

Happy BDay my friend!!
Old 06-30-2020, 5:40 AM
Veteran Member

Congrats on making it this far......you seem to be moving around very well for 65!
Hopefully I will be doing as well, if I can make it that far along!
Old 06-30-2020, 7:05 AM

Thanks fellers! Oh, I have my ailments... but I have also been fortunate to have had a job that has kept me physically active until about three years ago when I was given more "plush" assignments (you know, the kind they give to old people) where I didn't have to get dirty. Now I find myself withering away... But I have more than likely never had to work as hard as a firefighter or a rancher might. I admire you guys.

Ray, my toy-buying will be tapering off as I ease into a sparse and simple way of living on a smaller budget. This Interarms Mark X (again, thanks to you!) and the components I have recently purchased to build it's ammunition may be my last hurrah for awhile, but I have several firearms that will keep me very busy developing handloads for. I've said this before, but I am fortunate to have been able to acquire these things before they put me out to pasture, and once there I'll have plenty! to keep me busy as well as future hunts to plan for.

Old 06-30-2020, 7:28 AM

Work hard? We let the horses do it. My daughter Smoke on the left and son Logan on the right. Logan is on my 3 year old filly, Lil Sis and this is the first time she's ever roped anything:

She did great. But more to the point look at Steve, our ranching partner in the blue shirt in the background. See the wisdom of age, (he's got ya by ten). He kicks back and occasionally checks the internal temp of the ice chest there. Its a thing that needs doing on a hot, dry, windy and dusty day. Not everyone can do it!
Old 06-30-2020, 8:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPDA View Post
Happy birthday Chris! May your year be filled with great deals on levers, wheelguns, and classy rifles.

I think Buchanan should give you a bday discount on a press
I can do that,,, how's 10% off the prices on the website.

Just remember the more abuse you take, the thicker your skin becomes, which makes you able to take more abuse!

It never ends so get used to it.

Happy 65. I was 65, 5 years ago.

Have a great day!

Randy

Old 06-30-2020, 8:15 AM

HW,
If Steve needs an assistant "ice chest wrangler" let me know. Finally found a job on the ranch I can still do. lol
Lil' Sis is a beauty. She has her game face on.
Old 06-30-2020, 8:17 AM

Apples,

Happy Birthday! You already owned the "crochety". Now you get the "old man" to add to it. LOL
Old 06-30-2020, 8:25 AM

^ ^ ^ You!

Quote:
Just remember the more abuse you take, the thicker your skin becomes, which makes you able to take more abuse!

Impeccable logic, my good man.

Thanks again for yer ree-plies! "gentlemen". And I use the word loosely.

Old 06-30-2020, 10:04 AM

Randy that’s awesome !

Chris, so glad you got it - can’t wait till we can get some silhouette and range time in someday -

Yeah, I have to lay off the toys and hobbies for awhile - I just drosed the second to last gun I’ll be getting for at least a year since me and the future missus are going to tighten the belt for all the wedding planning fun ahead...(then of course a home future kids a new truck saving more etc). She just drosed an officers sized 1911 as her first gun and I an MRI Imported Jericho 941....and there’s a used contender that’s still on hold for me (which I promised would be my last hurrah).

But now I want one of Buchanan’s presses, and more revolvers and and and...maybe one day again...

Last edited by RayPDA; 06-30-2020 at 10:15 AM..