Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 06-29-2020, 8:41 AM

Default How long can I keep a magazine loaded?

First time gun buyer here.

As another new owner primarily for home defense in what I expect to be an increasingly uncertain 10 years, I am considering keeping two or three magazines of self defense rounds loaded at all times. It is easy enough to imagine not using these for years then requiring them to work flawlessly on demand.

Here are my questions:

* Is it realistic to expect to load a magazine in 2020 and use it in 2025?

* Are ETS Tactical magazines a good choice in this scenario?

If it makes a difference I have purchased (the last?) new CA legal Glock 17 Gen 3 in the US -- at normal prices no less!

Regards,
J
Old 06-29-2020, 8:51 AM

Yes it is realistic you could keep a mag loaded and it’s still okay years later. The issue with the mag will be the cycles from loading/unloading. Always want to have extra mags considering how cost effective Glock mags are.

Congrats on your G17 but I’m not sure about mag choices. I’m sure someone else with the knowledge will help.
“Paul Revere’s ride was only one night, then 40 years of him being like: Remember that time when everyone was asleep and I was up, and the British was coming? Boy, good thing I was awake.” - Dave Chappelle
Old 06-29-2020, 8:52 AM
Calguns Addict

The mags will be fine. I have no experience with ETS mags, but don't go cheap on mags you're going to bet your life on without running a few hundred rounds through them to ensure they function. Glock OEM mags aren't that expensive.

You probably should be shooting it on regular basis anyway. Shooting does not come naturally to most people. It is a perishable skill that needs constant practice. You also need to ensure that your ammo choice functions reliably in your gun. Although Glocks for the most part will eat anything, it's best to be certain.
Old 06-29-2020, 8:53 AM
Calguns Addict

Double post.
Old 06-29-2020, 9:01 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Here’s a good video on it, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pch0J9-7i2k
Old 06-29-2020, 9:22 AM
From anotha motha

Not worth it to get an inferior magazine to save just $10 bucks on a life saving tool.
Old 06-29-2020, 9:35 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Have you shot any of your self-defense ammo through your OEM mags?
Some have had problems with hollow points based on the follower in the mag.

Buy OEM mags.

Take all your mags. to the range and shoot them once in a while.

Store the mags. so they can stay clean.
Old 06-29-2020, 9:48 AM
Veteran Member

I have some ETS magazines for my Glock 26, and I’ve had no problems with them. To answer the OP’s question: indefinitely.
Old 06-29-2020, 10:05 AM

From what I've read keeping a magazine loaded for an extended time is less wear on the spring than those that you shoot and reload regularly. I try to rotate magazines so they wear more evenly but I doubt that I will ever wear out the spring in a good magazine. I shoot different guns each time I go to the range so I never think about wear on any particular gun or magazine.
And like someone already said a few extra bucks for better magazines is a good idea in the long run.
Old 06-29-2020, 10:13 AM
His Glorious Reappearing
CGN Contributor

my hd magazines been loaded longer than that and still work fine. once in while i empty them at the range and put fresh rounds in them.
Heb 9:27 "And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgement."

Ro 1:20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse.
Old 06-29-2020, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordupmybrotha View Post
Not worth it to get an inferior magazine to save just $10 bucks on a life saving tool.
This.
Use the OEMs for SD and ETS for the range. Stick with OEM for SD scenarios to reduce likelihood of failure should you need it.
Old 06-29-2020, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member

Longer than you'll be on the planet. Much longer.

Don't worry about it.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore

Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see. - Arthur Schopenhaur
Old 06-29-2020, 4:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Welcome OP! Congrats on your G17. Excellent handgun.

No issues leaving mags loaded. I do. When I go to the range, I use those very mags, then load them up again at home. I've never had a problem with any. The springs are just fine sitting compressed, even for long periods of time.

Like others have already said, ditch the aftermarket magazines. ONLY use Glock OEM mags. You're taking a huge gamble with cheap aftermarket mags. Its never worth it.

I've heard Magpul's Glock mags are good, but I ONLY use Glock mags in my home defense guns.

PS - make sure to get a tactical light. Its a must for any defensive pistol.
Old 06-29-2020, 5:08 PM

Provided you buy good quality clips/mags OP, modern steel has no problem sitting compressed like that for some time. This concern, which is kind of endemic in firearms people, is based on the metallurgy of three generations ago. It simply does not apply any longer. But you still encounter this mindset in a lot of places. Being a 'rule of thumb' guy myself I absolutely understand it. But in this case OP, it is simply not the case any longer. Again, with the caveat that, 'assuming' you're buying good quality clips/mags, not Chicom made steel springs that are rife with impurities, toxic substances etc..

With that said, another good 'rule of thumb' OP: clips/mags, over the long term, are consumables. Buy more than you think you'll need.

I also agree with the above OP, consider a good (a 'tool' not a 'toy') quality (i.e. Streamlight/Surefire or better) light/laser assembly OP. Especially the laser. There are lot(!) of HD scenarios in which you will either not have time, or not be able to look down the sights when you really need to use that weapon OP. You'll be shooting from you waist, fending off someone or holding kids, loved ones with one hand and not able to look down the sights at all. The laser will allow you to get that life and death shot where it needs to be without you looking down the sights.

“People like to think the political spectrum in this country runs from right to left. Really, it runs from top to bottom.” -Molly Ivins

"The self righteous need my help in their struggle toward self awareness"-John Cleese

Last edited by sfarchitect; 06-29-2020 at 5:20 PM..
Old 06-29-2020, 5:10 PM
From anotha motha

ETS: all polymer

Glock OEM: reinforced with steel and more durable base plate.

Old 06-29-2020, 5:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFielding View Post
How long can I keep a magazine loaded?

In perpetuity.

1911 mags - stored loaded since WWI - were found almost 100 years later, and functioned flawlessly (as did the ammo).

MODERN silica/steel spring alloys, are even stronger, and your loaded magazines will still work, long after YOU don't.

Since you're limited to 10rd doorstops-... I mean, "magazines," out there, I'd definitely be storing them all LOADED. WHEN *CBP comes rolling down your street, that is NOT the time to BE loading mags; that's when you tell your wingman, "Pass me ANOTHER of those pre-loaded mags!"

*Cracka's Be Protestin'
Old 06-29-2020, 5:17 PM

If you keep a magazine loaded and leave it alone, nothing will happen and it will last a very long time if not forever. If you constantly use the magazine such as for the range, the spring will eventually need to be replaced. That is why I keep my home defense magazine loaded, and use other magazines for the range separately.

- GySgt Bob Lee Swagger
Old 06-29-2020, 5:42 PM

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to Calguns! Yes it’s safe. Load them all up with defensive ammo, buy some more magazines and defensive ammo then load those up too. Don’t forget to get a holster and mag pouch.
Old 06-29-2020, 5:54 PM
Veteran Member

True story,
When my father handed down his 1990s Colt GCNM series 80 it came with two 7rd mags fully loaded (since the 90s). 185g wad cutters. Believe it or not they fed fine. This was in 2012.

Welcome to the club, be safe out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Join the fight - FPC | CRPA | GOA | GOC | SAF | NRA
Old 06-29-2020, 8:02 PM

Some say they last longer if you load them one short. Is that BS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-29-2020, 9:59 PM

This is military doctrine/SOP. Because 'milspec' weapons are sufficiently sloppily toleranced, and often in bad enough condition that fully loaded mags occasionally cause problems, won't strip first round off of clip/mag etc.. Clips/mags get dirt in them etc.. Therefore most grunts, at least used to be, taught to load 29 rounds in thirty round clips/mags.

“People like to think the political spectrum in this country runs from right to left. Really, it runs from top to bottom.” -Molly Ivins

"The self righteous need my help in their struggle toward self awareness"-John Cleese

Last edited by sfarchitect; 06-29-2020 at 10:02 PM..
Old 06-29-2020, 10:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I have mags that have been loaded for YEARS. I just cycle through them periodically when shooting that specific gun.
Old 06-29-2020, 11:25 PM

dont use ETS for anything other than the range

I dropped a loaded mag and it ruptured, launching the insert and spring to god knows where. Another would not function after getting dust inside of it, preventing the follower from providing tension.
Old 06-30-2020, 2:25 AM

Or order some replacement springs from Wolff and swap them out every few years.
Old 06-30-2020, 2:53 AM
Veteran Member

Foeva!
“This decision is a freedom calculus decided long ago by Colonists who cherished individual freedom more than the subservient security of a British ruler. The freedom they fought for was not free of cost then, and it is not free now.”

Hon. Roger T. Benitez
United States District Judge
March 29, 2019
Old 06-30-2020, 4:09 AM

Great question! Like others have said , it’s good to have multiple magazines for each gun you own . I prefer 5 or more. I try to shoot my home defense / carry pistols weekly and run drills.

The best advise I got was to stop buying guns and shoot Just one so you develop muscle memory to shoot it well. That way , in a stress situation, you aren’t fumbling for the controls , your grip, your point of aim. Classes help . A few good classes will develop your skill set much better than fumbling on your own .
Good luck.

I worked with a guy who bought a Beretta FS and had it for years. Asked him if he trained with it. He said he had about 30 rounds through it a few years before. He thought that was enough and he is prepared. It wasn’t and he isn’t .
Old 06-30-2020, 6:27 AM

Default Thank you for the benefit of your experience

Thank you everyone for the guidance.

- I will purchase Glock mags then. Not economizing in such an important area of my families safety does seem prudent.

- I have ordered home defense ammo for practicing with as well as actual home defense, but availability allowing will order more monthly and continuously rotate it into my range practice.

- There is already a fairly large order of range ammunition shipping to the FFL, but I may double it. Both here and the gun safety course I took emphasized regular, constant practice for as long as I want to be able to effectively use the weapon. There may be a significant gap between the time the last of the supply is purchased and more is manufactured.

As someone late to the understanding that a gun is a necessary part of home defense and personal safety, I appreciate hearing the thoughts of those who have been thinking this way for some time.
Old 06-30-2020, 6:57 AM
Veteran Member

I once tried a gun show bargain table mag from one of those tables stacked with aftermarket mags of unknown origin?

it functioned at the range but wouldnt hold the slide open on an empty mag

then I left it loaded for a week and tried it again and it wouldnt feed, dont take a chance with bargain aftermarket non factory mags with sub standard springs, soft mag bodies that deform easily, etc.

if you stick with top of the line or OEM mags / Mecgar you wont have a problem
Old 06-30-2020, 7:06 AM
Calguns Addict

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantdance View Post
Or order some replacement springs from Wolff and swap them out every few years.

Is Wolff that hard up for money?
Old 06-30-2020, 7:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal77 View Post
Here’s a good video on it, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pch0J9-7i2k
Except the lens on his camera looks like it was a prize out of a box of Cracker Jacks. Hard to watch all fuzzy...

Dan
Old 06-30-2020, 7:28 AM
Calguns Addict

Springs wear down from compression and rebound. Being in a static state (loaded) doesn't wear them down as long as they aren't past the threshold. In other words, leave them fully loaded and you'll be fine. However, I would highly recommend only running OEM mags. I've read (and experienced) malfunctions with ETS mags. Not so much with the OEM's. Nothing is perfect but the factory ones work best.

WTB used AK MFER.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The War Wagon View Post
Is Wolff that hard up for money?
It ends the arguments. I do it esp for my standard caps. Glock sells oem springs too, or used to. I'm not holding my breath on ever being able to get new s.c. mags in CA again.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member

I've been keeping my emergency Glock mags loaded for over 10 years. They only get used once every other year and they function flawlessly.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:27 AM
Probably PUI
CGN Contributor

Have any surplus weapons? how old are they? How many springs are in them?

I have hk mags with date codes from the 50s and 60s, 70 years worth of time hasnt worn the spring at all, they still feed to the last round. How many times have you encountered a hammer spring or trigger spring or striker spring that has lost its springyness?

Springs work, or springs break. They very rarely wear out, and if they do wear out its from a ton of use and cycling, not from sitting.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-30-2020, 2:54 PM

But there can also be variations in the quality of the spring steel itself. Making springs isn't kindergarten. I'll stick with oem or Wolff.

Edit: I might add that on my Glock 20 15 rnd mags with the Pierce +2 extensions the slide won't hold open last round with oem weight, or not fully engage it either. Wolff +5 or 10% is a must in that case.

Last edited by cantdance; 06-30-2020 at 3:01 PM..
Old 06-30-2020, 3:01 PM

Just buy actual Glock OEM mags and be done

Perhaps Magpul makes a good Glock mag... they're AR mags are legendary after all... but... since Glock mags are cheap enough, I don't see any reason to use Magpul here, or any other brand.

Glock mags are pretty much some of the best factory mags you can get for any firearm I've run across.
Old 06-30-2020, 3:11 PM

For as long as you’d like...as long as its a quality mag.