Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 06-28-2020, 8:18 PM
Veteran Member

Default Had the best day shooting Sporting clays today!!

It's been November Since I last shot Sporting clays..... Life has been busy, new baby boy and Commercial HVAC has been nuts, then Covid.

So I was excited to finally get some sporting clays shooting in, man what a day!

I'm not great or anything, I just go out and try to beat my last number each time. I always challenge myself to do better. First couple stands were interesting, I was a bit rusty and missed some easy trap style shots I shouldn't have. So I know I still have plenty of room for improvement.

But Today I shot my personal best, a 72! after 6 months off I came out and shot my best, not bragging, I'm just really excited. I hit every rabbit, and most teal, those are usually my downfall!

Brought my stepdad and some friends from church, they had a blast too. The weather was perfect, nice breeze and we could see Point Loma from Alpine. I got to break in the new 30" A400 XP "Snow goose" and yes I was the only guy on the course with a white shotgun.

Man I love that gun! Man I love sporting clays! Man what a great day with friends and family.

Either way who wants to shoot some clays?? I'm thinking Raahauge's or Triple B's (LA clays) coming up weekend after next.

https://media.giphy.com/media/fsP7yC...bEC1/giphy.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/fsP7yC...bEC1/giphy.gif

Last edited by etwinam; 06-29-2020 at 5:16 PM..
Old 06-28-2020, 9:09 PM
NRA Member, CRPA Member,
CGN Contributor

Whenever you take time off it’s a race between forgetting how to miss them and forgetting how to hit them.

Nice shooting, that looks like a good time at that club; that might be worth checking out at some point when we’re down visiting friends in Poway. I haven’t shot sporting clays since early March and I’m itching to get back out, but I also have a new son, a three year old, and a wife to look after on the weekends. I’ll get back out soon enough.
Old 06-28-2020, 9:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etwinam View Post
Either way who wants to shoot some clays?? I'm thinking Rahaagees or Triple B's coming up weekend after next.
Raahauge's has the fun shoot on July 12 (Sunday) a good chance to get some registered targets in.

I am planning on it.
Old 06-28-2020, 9:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanks View Post
Raahauge's has the fun shoot on July 12 (Sunday) a good chance to get some registered targets in.

I am planning on it.
Good lookin out, I'll check it out. reservations needed? I've been told it gets busy there.
Old 06-28-2020, 9:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by champu View Post
Whenever you take time off it’s a race between forgetting how to miss them and forgetting how to hit them.

Nice shooting, that looks like a good time at that club; that might be worth checking out at some point when we’re down visiting friends in Poway. I haven’t shot sporting clays since early March and I’m itching to get back out, but I also have a new son, a three year old, and a wife to look after on the weekends. I’ll get back out soon enough.
4th Sunday of the month is their event, Let me know if you want to join our group. We can do up to 6 in one crew.
Old 06-29-2020, 5:45 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Good shooting!!
Old 06-29-2020, 6:38 AM

Good job! Sounds and looks like you had fun.
That's the first white A400 I've seen. You must plan on shooting lots of snows!

Probably just a slip of the tongue keyboard - Triple B's is now L.A.Clays
https://laclays.com/
Old 06-29-2020, 7:18 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBGBA View Post
Good job! Sounds and looks like you had fun.
That's the first white A400 I've seen. You must plan on shooting lots of snows!

Probably just a slip of the tongue keyboard - Triple B's is now L.A.Clays
https://laclays.com/
Thanks ya, I bought this as my Goose/Clays gun, I have the A400 in 26" as my Duck gun and it wasn't quite enough for my sporting clays game. I love the gun just needed more barrel. The 30" barrel was $800 and the white kryptek was on sale for only a few hundred more, and that was cheaper than the blued version. The 30" barrel also helps with the swing a lot and the white doesn't matter to me, It's going to be used mostly on the clays range so I'm fine with it.

Ya, i forgot they sold, thanks. Ill have to set up a trip to come up there and check them out. I've never been, only heard good things. My local spot only does Sporting clays once a month so I need to branch out if I want to shoot more.

Last edited by etwinam; 06-29-2020 at 4:56 PM..
Old 06-29-2020, 3:36 PM

I was 'out there' too. Beautiful day and a blast to shoot away.
Nice shooting and cool A400!
mike
Old 06-29-2020, 3:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Looks like fun

BTW, is the gun on the left a Ghost gun
Old 06-29-2020, 4:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revoman View Post
I was 'out there' too. Beautiful day and a blast to shoot away.
Nice shooting and cool A400!
mike
Thanks Mike, I really like the A400, especially the Xtreme plus. It's a great gun for Sporting and Field. I know there is no do it all gun but this seems to do both quite well, it isn't elegant walnut and deep bluing but I'm ok with it. Beretta's just fit me well. Some adjustment to the cast and drop and it patterns perfect now.

It was pretty foggy in the morning out there so we kind of lucked out getting there later in the day., It turned out to be a really nice day. Hope your game went well, Lemon grove is a nice club and I have only been a few times but I want to keep going for sure. let me know if you need any team members or need a team to join.

Last edited by etwinam; 06-29-2020 at 4:31 PM..
Old 06-29-2020, 4:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano3467 View Post
Looks like fun

BTW, is the gun on the left a Ghost gun
Haha, the one of the right is kind of a ghost gun.... I might start calling it the Wraith since it's technically Kryptek Wraith. The left is the gore optifade timber, I opted for that over the optifade marsh because it was darker and not so FDE/tan.

Last edited by etwinam; 06-29-2020 at 4:50 PM..
Old 06-29-2020, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano3467 View Post
...BTW, is the gun on the left a Ghost gun
Depending on the surroundings, they both can be ghost guns.

The Abdominal Snowman (Abominable Snowman with visible abs) probably carries the white one.
Old 06-29-2020, 6:15 PM

Its great you hit a personal bets. Congratulations on that OP.

But how you did is less important than the day/company/weather and th overall experience. We all live for those days like you've described. Sounds like a great day for all involved.

Particularly in light of where we are, this 'moment' in time. We're all in need of some fresh air and socialization these days I think. It makes you thankful for and appreciate these things/moments/experiences all th more.

“People like to think the political spectrum in this country runs from right to left. Really, it runs from top to bottom.” -Molly Ivins

"The self righteous need my help in their struggle toward self awareness"-John Cleese
Old 06-29-2020, 6:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Way to go OP...always good to get out shooting with friends...shooting well on top of it is even better...

Love those A400s... with stand-off...easy soft shooter!

Last edited by Tarmy; 06-29-2020 at 7:53 PM..
Old 06-29-2020, 7:28 PM

"It was pretty foggy in the morning out there so we kind of lucked out getting there later in the day., It turned out to be a really nice day. Hope your game went well, Lemon grove is a nice club and I have only been a few times but I want to keep going for sure. let me know if you need any team members or need a team to join."
Oh, we were Squad 2 going out at 08:09, weather was just right, no fog. It DOES get very foggy there at times though. I shot okay, like you I felt there were a few shots that were easy....those are the ones ya miss because you're looking past them and not concentrating. Still hadda great day after not shot-gunning since January.
mike
Old 06-29-2020, 7:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revoman View Post
"It was pretty foggy in the morning out there so we kind of lucked out getting there later in the day., It turned out to be a really nice day. Hope your game went well, Lemon grove is a nice club and I have only been a few times but I want to keep going for sure. let me know if you need any team members or need a team to join."
Oh, we were Squad 2 going out at 08:09, weather was just right, no fog. It DOES get very foggy there at times though. I shot okay, like you I felt there were a few shots that were easy....those are the ones ya miss because you're looking past them and not concentrating. Still hadda great day after not shot-gunning since January.
mike
Good to hear, we had a couple RO's tell us that the fog was thick, I didn't leave the house till 10am so I din't know. Glad to hear you had a good day. I have to be fast to sign up next time, it went so fast we got stuck at Noon and had to play clean up but at least we got on. My wife is still laughing at my red forehead being sunburnt from not wearing a hat.
Old 06-29-2020, 7:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarchitect View Post
Its great you hit a personal bets. Congratulations on that OP.

But how you did is less important than the day/company/weather and th overall experience. We all live for those days like you've described. Sounds like a great day for all involved.

Particularly in light of where we are, this 'moment' in time. We're all in need of some fresh air and socialization these days I think. It makes you thankful for and appreciate these things/moments/experiences all th more.
Agreed sir, the experience is definitely better with good friends and family, shooting well is only the icing on the cake. I can't wait till my son is old enough to shoot and I can have these moments with him.
Old 06-30-2020, 6:09 AM
Veteran Member

Eric, one of these days we'll have to hook up, I had my second eye surgery earlier tis month and in the last week of eye drops can't believe how bright everything is not sure it will help my shooting skills out but maybe I'l be able to actually see targets. Have appointment with doctor may need reading glasses great to have young eyes again.

Old 06-30-2020, 8:29 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-ADC View Post
Eric, one of these days we'll have to hook up, I had my second eye surgery earlier tis month and in the last week of eye drops can't believe how bright everything is not sure it will help my shooting skills out but maybe I'l be able to actually see targets. Have appointment with doctor may need reading glasses great to have young eyes again.
Sounds good, hope your eye heals well