Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2014, 3:40 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default LAW: Rules for the 'How CA Law Applies to You' Forum

The Site rules apply:
By registering on calguns.net you are agreeing to abide by the following:
a) Please stay on topic in all forums.
b) No multiple registrations.
c) No spamming(solicitation of goods unrelated to calguns.net that are unwanted by users),trolling,flaming or other personal attacks. You may disagree with other posters but please keep it clean and civil.
d) No profanity or otherwise uncivilized behavior.
e) Calguns.net reserves the right at our discretion to lock or delete posts and ban members. At most you will get one chance.
f) No posting information that can be construed to be illegal, firearm related or not.
g) Calguns.net administrators,moderators are gun enthusiasts who offer individual opinions only. Opinions on this site can never take the place of firearms training and real expertise. We do not teach proficiency in regards to firearms use, reloading ammunition, gunsmithing or firearms modification.

Proceed solely at your own risk.
This forum has more rules than that.

1) To re-emphasize, this is not legal advice. Before acting on any of the information posted here, you should consult a real paid lawyer who will evaluate your circumstances and offer advice you can accept or reject as seems good to you.

2) If you have a question that has you wondering if you might need a lawyer, you probably DO need a lawyer. Some lawyers feel that posting facts regarding a potential specific legal problem on a publicly accessible internet forum is a Very Bad Idea.

3) Many law enforcement agencies read Calguns. Imagine anything you post here as going directly to the computer of an investigating officer or deputy district attorney - because it does.

4) This is a 'what' and 'how to' forum, not a 'why' or 'that is terrible' forum. The motivations behind a given bit of law are generally not on topic here, nor are complaints about the logic, effectiveness, or fairness of enforcement.

5) The forum is meant to offer reasonable suggestions on how to follow California (and some parts of Federal) law. A post that suggests illegal activity or non-compliance is off-topic for Calguns generally.

SOME QUESTIONS DO NOT HAVE A CLEAR ANSWER. Everyone will have to accustom himself or herself to some level of uncertainty.

6) There is an FAQ sticky; after a short time to populate it, it will be required reading before posting a question. Threads here will provide the material for other FAQ answers.

'Too long; didn't read (tl;dr)' is not acceptable here.

If you want to stay out of jail, and think following CA law will help you do that, then expect to invest some time. You will probably find it useful to use your browser tool to search for text in the current window.

7) This whole forum is about legal topics. Try to describe the topic of your thread using nouns and verbs in the title. Any thread started with 'Is this legal?" as the title will be deleted.

8) Please stay focused on the legal issue presented; one of the reasons the forum exists is that answers (such as they are) get lost in chit-chat.

WHAT KINDS OF QUESTIONS GO INTO THIS FORUM?

If the thread could be reduced to something like "If I did [this gun-related thing] would it be legal?" or "I want to do [this gun-related thing], how do I do that legally?", it goes to this forum.

The questions must be about CA gun law, or Federal gun law, as applied to people who live in California or travel to California.

Discussions about bills - things that are not yet law - are off topic for this forum. Such threads would go the CA 2A Politics and Laws forum or the National 2A Political and Legal Discussion forum.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Last edited by Librarian; 06-20-2016 at 4:25 PM..
Old 05-24-2019, 8:23 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I never thought I would have to write such a thing but
Yes, it is a violation of Calguns rules to self-incriminate on the open forum.
Don't send that kind of thing to the moderators in PM, either.

Briefly, the problem is
Quote:
In United States law, a statement against interest is a statement made by a person which places them in a less advantageous position than if they had not made the statement and is as a consequence deemed credible as evidence (usually within a legal trial).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statem...ainst_interest

If you have this great story burning a hole in your pocket, you could try to anonymize your question, as

'What if [someone - not me!] did [this thing], what would the likely consequence be?'

Your answers probably will mostly be 'get a lawyer; pay for advice; decide if you will take that advice.'

Generally, we do not talk about crimes planned ever or crimes committed until the legal system has come to a conclusion on the matter.

You can expect such threads to be deleted, sometimes with a PM to the Original Poster.