Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > The Appleseed Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Appleseed Project The Revolutionary War Veterans Association

Old 03-24-2014, 7:36 PM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

Location: 805, Caught Between My Woman And My Pistol And My Chips
Smile Appleseed - American Revolution Books/Media List

Thought I might try a book list. Pool our knowledge base and get recommendations/reviews. After attending RWVA's Project Appleseed the last two months and April 19th fast approaching I've been on a bit of an American Revolution history kick. [waves flag]

Give a title and author you've read, are interested in reading or have heard good things about.
Include any other info on the book you might have handy e.g. ISBN #, page count, year of publishing etc.

Let's start 'er off with this:

Paul Revere's Ride by David Hackett Fischer
Paperback: 464 pages, Publisher: Oxford University Press; Reprint edition (April 19, 1995), ISBN-10: 0195098315, ISBN-13: 978-0195098310

eta: Now (06/2017) available in audiobook format: @ Amazon (CD Format 9781541405097) (MP3 CD Format 9781541455092), @ Audible, @ Itunes, @ The Publisher, Tantor Media

readysetgo - The events/people in this book are featured heavily in the history program of Project Appleseed. Giving insight to the day the war began, April 19th 1775.
scoutcamper - +1 on Paul Revere's Ride, i enjoyed that one a lot.

Last edited by readysetgo; 01-25-2022 at 8:24 PM..
Old 03-24-2014, 7:39 PM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

1776 by David McCullough
Paperback: 386 pages, Publisher: HOLT MCDOUGAL; 1st ed. (June 27, 2006), ISBN-10: 0743226720, ISBN-13: 978-0743226721

readysetgo - Loved this book. Primarily about General Washington and the diffulcities he faced in '76 but captures the overall view very well too.
BB-Stacker - 1776. One of my all time favorites. Well worth the price and you feel satisfied for the time spent reading it.

1775: A Good Year for Revolution by Kevin Phillips
Hardcover: 656 pages, Publisher: Viking Adult; First Edition edition (November 27, 2012), ISBN-10: 0670025127, ISBN-13: 978-0670025121

amazon desc - In 1775, iconoclastic historian and bestselling author Kevin Phillips punctures the myth that 1776 was the watershed year of the American Revolution.
readysetgo - Just started reading this (actually listening audio book) and I can tell there is a wealth of knowledge in it. A little dry, author seems a little too fascinated with his hypothesis but the facts and details are great so far. I may have to come back to this in print and give it a more thorough look.

Lexington and Concord: The Beginning of the War of the American Revolution by Arthur Bernon Tourtellot
Paperback: 336 pages, Publisher: W. W. Norton & Company (April 17, 2000) (Originally 1959), ISBN-10: 0393320561, ISBN-13: 978-0393320565

PurplePeople - Originally published in 1959, so lacks some of the later research cited in PPR, but another readable telling of the story.

The Minute Men by John R. Galvin
Paperback: 292 pages, Publisher: Potomac Books Inc.; Revised edition (November 15, 2006) (Orginal ??? 1960's), ISBN-10: 1597970700, ISBN-13: 978-1597970709

PurplePeople - Written by a military man. If you're interested in how the colonists were organized in advance and during the fight - in detail - this is the go-to source.

Washington's Crossing by David Hackett Fischer
Paperback: 576 pages, Publisher: Oxford University Press Reprint edition (February 1, 2006), ISBN-10: 019518159X, ISBN-13: 978-0195181593

PurplePeople - DHF's other Revolutionary history, written in the same engaging style as PRR. 1776 was not a piece of cake - this is the real story.

Battle Road (Dramatized) by Jerry Robbins, MP3 download on Audible and Itunes

readysetgo - A dramatization (like old time radio show) about the events of 04/19/1775 along battle road. It's a fun listen with different actors and sound effects. They could have made it easier to follow the story, sometimes I was thinking "Wait, where are we now? Who's speaking?" but done well overall.

Uniforms of the American Revolution by John Mollo, Malcolm McGregor
Hardcover: 228 pages, Publisher: Macmillan Pub Co; 1st American ed edition (May 1975), ISBN-10: 0025855808, ISBN-13: 978-0025855809

readysetgo - I don't know enough to say that it's the end all be all but it seems very thorough and has a ton of color plates and good info on equipment and uniforms.

The Life of General Daniel Morgan by James Graham (1856). It's available on line but still in print too.

as_rocketman - Amazing guy. Probably more than anyone else, he embodied the spirit of the Rifleman.
readysetgo - ...I kid you not, when I got to the battle of Cowpens my heart was racing hard. What a great story, IMO this is definitely a must read.

Hillsdale Dialogues, 10-17-14, Locke and Hillsdale Dialogues, 10-31-14, The Declaration Of Independence SOUNDCLOUD HERE or ITUNES HERE
Audio recordings, 30 min ea, Hugh Hewitt Radio Show and Hillsdale College

readysetgo - Really good discussions in these shows. It's deep but also digestible and compact (each is around a half hour long), I find myself driving home from work on Friday evenings and I arrive home and don't want to get out of the car while this show is running.

Last edited by readysetgo; 01-25-2022 at 8:26 PM..
Old 03-24-2014, 8:22 PM
Enjoying Freedom Everyday
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

1776. One of my all time favorites. Well worth the price and you feel satisfied for the time spent reading it.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty.
Suspect every one who approaches that jewel.
Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force.
Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined."
PATRICK HENRY

Old 03-25-2014, 11:31 AM

I like:

Arthur Tourtellot, Lexington and Concord (earlier edition published as William Diamond's Drum) Originally published in 1959, so lacks some of the later research cited in PPR, but another readable telling of the story.

John R. Galvin, The Minute Men. Written by a military man. If you're interested in how the colonists were organized in advance and during the fight - in detail - this is the go-to source.

David Hackett Fischer, Washington's Crossing. DHF's other Revolutionary history, written in the same engaging style as PRR. 1776 was not a piece of cake - this is the real story.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:44 AM

My Tablet is getting a few more books on it today

+1 on Paul Revere's Ride, i enjoyed that one a lot.
Old 04-05-2014, 2:04 PM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

So, lot of knuckle draggers here aren't into reading huh? j/k

Just finished listening to Battle Road (Dramatized) by Jerry Robbins.

A dramatization (like old time radio show) about the events of 04/19/1775 along battle road. It's a fun listen with different actors and sound effects. They could have made it easier to follow the story, sometimes I was thinking "Wait, where are we now? Who's speaking?" but done well overall.

It's available for download on Audible and Itunes for three bucks.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:37 AM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

Found this little gem in a used book store for $3!

Uniforms of the American Revolution by John Mollo, Malcolm McGregor
Hardcover: 228 pages, Publisher: Macmillan Pub Co; 1st American ed edition (May 1975), ISBN-10: 0025855808, ISBN-13: 978-0025855809

I don't know enough to say that it's the end all be all but it seems very thorough and has a ton of color plates and good info on equipment and uniforms.

Last edited by readysetgo; 10-14-2017 at 12:06 PM..
Old 09-23-2014, 7:39 PM
CGSSA Leader

One I like is the 1856 "The Life of General Daniel Morgan," by James Graham. It's available on line but still in print too.

Amazing guy. Probably more than anyone else, he embodied the spirit of the Rifleman.

Ask me about Appleseed! Send a PM or see me in the Appleseed subforum.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:09 PM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by as_rocketman View Post
One I like is the 1856 "The Life of General Daniel Morgan," by James Graham. It's available on line but still in print too.

Amazing guy. Probably more than anyone else, he embodied the spirit of the Rifleman.
Thanks rocketman!

From the author in the preface of "The Life of General Daniel Morgan":
Quote:
The American people hold in especial reverence the memory of those whose patriotism and valor were rendered conspicuous in the revolutionary war. The day is far distant, if, indeed, such a day will ever arrive, when they will cease to regard with interest everything in relation to that band of heroes and sages.
??? Has that far distant day arrived? I hope not, really hope not.
Old 11-19-2014, 2:44 PM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by as_rocketman View Post

"Amazing guy" is right. I finished reading this one and I kid you not, when I got to the battle of Cowpens my heart was racing hard. What a great story, IMO this is definitely a must read.

Thanks again rocketman.
__________________________________________________ ______________

I've got two more audio recommendations. Both are from a radio series called "Hillsdale Dialogues". This is an ongoing part of the Hugh Hewitt show featuring discussions on classic history with Professors from Hillsdale College.

The series is available in two places, SOUNDCLOUD HERE or ITUNES HERE.

These two episodes are dealing with revolutionary times:
Hillsdale Dialogues, 10-17-14, Locke
Quote:
Dr. Arnn and Dr. West join Hugh Hewitt to discuss the influence of John Lock on the Founding of America
and
Hillsdale Dialogues, 10-31-14, The Declaration Of Independence
Quote:
Dr. Arnn joins Hugh Hewitt to discuss the Declaration of Independence
Really good discussions in these shows. It's deep but also digestible and compact (each is around a half hour long), I find myself driving home from work on Friday evenings and I arrive home and don't want to get out of the car while this show is running.
Old 11-19-2014, 5:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Sons of the Revolution Library & Museum in Glendale. Mostly geneology but lots of history too. Sons of the Revolution is not Sons of the American Revolution. SR membership requirements are narrower basically requiring military service.

http://www.srcalifornia.com/nav2.htm

Last edited by M1NM; 11-19-2014 at 5:51 PM..
Old 05-13-2015, 12:01 PM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

A little abstract for the OP topic... but I haven't been doing much reading lately.

Anyhow, a recent interview with author David McCullough about his new book: The Wright Brothers

A comment that caught my attention and relates to the topic at hand, IMO, is when he say's (about the Wright brothers) But what saved them for me is that they were constantly in trouble. They were up against adversity of a kind that most of us would have said, "To hell with this, I'm not gonna go ahead!"
Old 07-17-2015, 10:14 AM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

Hey, what're you all reading about American history this summer?!

Finished reading Founding Mothers: The Women Who Raised Our Nation by Cokie Roberts.

I'd give it 3 stars overall. The stories are great and I think the author hit on some good points here and there. Wanted to love the subject but the writing style can be too disjointed at times, for me.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:37 AM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

Bump from the dead.

Been on an encyclopedia kick lately.

Colonial America, Vol. 1-10, D. Thorp, Grolier

ISBN: 978-0717291939

Out of print, well done grade school encyclopedia.

Last edited by readysetgo; 10-14-2017 at 12:00 PM..
Old 10-17-2016, 6:47 PM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

Two updates in three days!!!

North America in Colonial Times by Jacob Ernest Cooke (Editor), Milton M. Klein (Editor)

Last edited by readysetgo; 02-20-2022 at 12:04 PM..
Old 11-19-2016, 8:04 AM
CGSSA Leader

Updating with a resource found on the RWVA website: http://www.friendsofminuteman.org/parkers_revenge.htm

This is the project report from an archaeological survey and dig carried out to identify the location and probable action of Parker's Revenge, along Battle Road outside of Lexington. 325 pages. Some of it is dry discussion of land usage and right-of-way between then and now, but it gives as good sense of Redcoat and Militia behavior, tactics, and artifacts. It also has a happy ending. Worth the read -- and it's free!

Ask me about Appleseed! Send a PM or see me in the Appleseed subforum.
Old 11-24-2016, 1:24 PM

Cool thread! Tagged
Old 05-29-2017, 2:57 PM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

Henry Knox: Visionary General of the American Revolution by Mark Puls
Paperback: 288 pages, Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin; First Edition edition (May 11, 2010), ISBN-10: 0230623883, ISBN-13: 978-0230623880

Great read! In the narrative vein of 1776 by McCullough. Sheds light on this extraordinary General. He's mentioned liberally in almost all the histories but reading this makes you wonder why he isn't highlighted in those stories even more. He was at the Boston Massacre, Battle of Bunker Hill, Siege of Yorktown up into and beyond Shays Rebellion. Washington had the highest praises for him and this book shows why. I could go on and on, pick it up, this is a must read. I think I'll pick up General Nathaniel Greene's bio next.

Last edited by readysetgo; 10-14-2017 at 11:41 AM..
Old 06-13-2017, 11:51 PM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurplePeople View Post
I like:

Arthur Tourtellot, Lexington and Concord (earlier edition published as William Diamond's Drum) Originally published in 1959, so lacks some of the later research cited in PPR, but another readable telling of the story.
It only took me a few years...I finally came back around to read this ^

Thank you for the recommendation. It was absolutely a "readable telling" and complimented PRR very well for me. Several things stood out but the one I personally found interesting was the scathing criticism of Hancock. I don't remember reading about him so unfavorably in any of the other histories I've read.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurplePeople View Post
John R. Galvin, The Minute Men. Written by a military man. If you're interested in how the colonists were organized in advance and during the fight - in detail - this is the go-to source.

David Hackett Fischer, Washington's Crossing. DHF's other Revolutionary history, written in the same engaging style as PRR. 1776 was not a piece of cake - this is the real story.
Washington's Crossing has been on my shelf for a long time and I will pick up a copy of The Minute Men at some point. Hope to get both those polished off eventually.

Anybody else reading anything good?

Lexington and Concord, Tourtellot_Back Cover.jpg
Old 06-16-2017, 10:31 PM

A few from my American Revolution shelves:

Redcoats and Rebels: The American Revolution through British Eyes -- Christopher Hibbert

Rebels & Redcoats: The American Revolution through the eyes of those who fought and lived it -- George F. Scheer and Hugh F. Rankin

And lest we forget that it was the Southern campaign that ended the war...

This Destructive War: The British campaign in the Carolinas, 1780-1782 -- John S. Pancake

A Devil of a Whipping: The Battle of Cowpens -- Lawrence E. Babits

If you are ever in South Carolina, I highly recommend visiting Cowpens and Kings Mountain battlefield parks. The Battle of Cowpens highlights the leadership skills of Daniel Morgan, especially his understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of rifle armed militia. This battle was the turning point of the Southern Strategy and led to the defeat of the British at Yorktown, VA later that year.
Old 06-20-2017, 1:43 PM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougbert66 View Post
A Devil of a Whipping: The Battle of Cowpens -- Lawrence E. Babits
Thanks for the recs.

I've got "A Devil of a Whipping" on my wishlist for some time, I'll definitely pick that one up.

It's fun to think how much more General Morgan would have contributed if it weren't for health issues that occurred around that time (and plagued him for the rest of his life).
Old 06-21-2017, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readysetgo View Post
Thanks for the recs.

I've got "A Devil of a Whipping" on my wishlist for some time, I'll definitely pick that one up.
Worth the read. Great topo maps. Babits has another smaller book intended as a walking guide to the battlefield. He has spent a lot of time on site and researching the battle and the ground where it was fought. I love a good battle account with good maps.

Quote:
It's fun to think how much more General Morgan would have contributed if it weren't for health issues that occurred around that time (and plagued him for the rest of his life).
Absolutely. Cornwallis might have been whipped at Guilford Courthouse had Morgan been there. Eutaw Springs might have had a more decisive outcome.

I picked up another interesting book when I last visited Kings Mountain a few years ago, but haven't read much of it (yet). The Battle of Kings Mountain: Eyewitness Accounts -- Robert M. Dunkerly. It has nice black and white photos of the current state of the battlefield and first hand accounts from patriots and loyalists who were there. Should be another good read.
Old 10-14-2017, 7:06 PM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

Check this out! David Hackett Fischer's Paul Revere's Ride has been revamped audiobook style. I've found references to an earlier recording by "Books On Tape" but never find one available, not sure if this is an older reading or new.

Anyway, here are some links. I'll add these to the top post.

@ Amazon (CD Format 9781541405097) (MP3 CD Format 9781541455092)
@ Audible (free 30 day trial includes 2 free books)
@ Itunes

@ The Publisher, Tantor Media

Pretty stoked to listen to this. P.S. If anybody has an older audio copy of this I'd love a chance to buy it or borrow it.
Old 03-04-2018, 5:35 PM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

The Road to Concord: How Four Stolen Cannon Ignited the Revolutionary War by J. L. Bell
Hardcover: 258 pages, Publisher: Westholme Publishing; 1 edition (May 30, 2016), ISBN-10: 1594162492, ISBN-13: 9781594162497

5 stars for what it is, a microhistory type. I think it brought a great perspective to events leading up to 04/19/1775. Tracking the movements of Mass. artillery and the cat and mouse game being played by both sides at the time. A little dry in places but I think the author was understandably working to justify his fairly intricate hypothesis.

I especially liked the story of the raid on the magazine at Quarry Hill and the subsequent uproar it caused, don't think I've read much about that before.

Shout out to allthingsliberty.com which is the website of Journal of the American Revolution. This book is one in a series that they sponsor. Great articles on the site.

Old 09-16-2018, 5:09 PM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

The American Revolution: A Visual History by DK

Old 09-17-2018, 8:43 PM
Norville Iron Bank
CGN Contributor

Angel in the Whirlwind. Written to be a popular as opposed to a scholarly account of the Revolution. And Washington is praised instead of criticized throughout.

https://www.amazon.com/Angel-Whirlwi...dp/B0044R96SW/
Old 10-17-2021, 10:22 AM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

Seems to me, the knowledge of our founding needs regaining more and more everyday.

allthingsliberty.com is a great resource and jumping off point online. See some of their book recommendations (and don't dismiss the comments either, some nuggets in there too):

REVOLUTIONARY WAR 101: BEGINNING BOOKS

Quote:
hen any reader is new to a subject it often is hard to know where to start. Once underway studying the American Revolution the sky’s the limit as far as breadth and depth of research is concerned. It’s a lifetime endeavor that has given me a great deal of pleasure as well as some understanding of who we are and where we came from. It has also introduced me to some of the greatest men of any generation.
ESSENTIAL AMERICAN REVOLUTION LIBRARY?

THE 100 BEST AMERICAN REVOLUTION BOOKS OF ALL TIME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darto View Post
Angel in the Whirlwind. Written to be a popular as opposed to a scholarly account of the Revolution. And Washington is praised instead of criticized throughout.

https://www.amazon.com/Angel-Whirlwi...dp/B0044R96SW/
Not suprisingly, your recomendation is listed several times in the links @ allthingsliberty. Thank you!
Old 01-25-2022, 8:04 PM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

Hillsdale College Online Courses is a treasure trove of visual media regarding USA and western civilization.
(Disclaimer: it's all free but they are going to spam you for donations liberally, which I actually don't mind, especially because they take zero federal dollars to run the college)

Picked up some dupes in audio format recently from goodwillbooks.com.

Old 05-01-2022, 4:38 PM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

OK, finally got to Galvin's "The Minute Men" after being challenged in an OT thread. Started to look to buy but then realized I had acquired it already. No doubt, required reading, not surprised it's recommended often, it was excellent.

Might jump into a Noah Webster biography. Recently watched "The Professor And The Madman" movie (sean penn, I know, puke but...) and dang it was good and love the word play and etymology subject. Curious to read about "The Forgotten Founding Father" by Joshua Kendall.

Or maybe I'll finally jump into Babits "A Devil of a Whipping" which I've neglected for too long, loving the battle of cowpens as relayed in Daniel Morgan's autobiography.