Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 11-01-2010, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliveCookieMonsta View Post
Dido! But if Anyone wants to buy me a gun,... Feel free to ask for advice! ; )
CANNOT AGREE MORE ON THIS ONE!!!
Old 11-02-2010, 11:39 AM
C3 Leader
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliveCookieMonsta View Post
Dido! But if Anyone wants to buy me a gun,... Feel free to ask for advice! ; )
I think we should somehow put your statement on a Calguns business card for you

If you live in Solano County, please join us at:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/group.php?groupid=12

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Old 11-02-2010, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarville View Post
Your postings are excellent examples of why I wouldn't ask her to come to this forum.

A gun is a tool. Get over it.

Sorry to have wasted your time, ladies.
I had the good sense to reply in depth. Your op makes your wife sound weakened timid. If loud noises are scary wear headsets or plugs. You say she doesn't want to go to ranges to try out different guns. Well what's that leaving? She'll most likely than buy a gun soley off looks and reference.Im sorry if im blunt. That's just it. I don't think of a fire arm as an accessory. As you said its a tool. So yes, get over. I wasn't the one posting about a wife who doesn't want to do this or that. Am I? Its like seeing a man and a woman. Man buying her a car....she's whiney, pitched, and obviously way to girly. That's a bit much. I was constructive and honest. Gun is just a tool. It has to fit just right. But the user needs to be competent and willing in the first place to find what works and what doesn't. Its that simple.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onequickshift View Post
I had the good sense to reply in depth. Your op makes your wife sound weakened timid. If loud noises are scary wear headsets or plugs. You say she doesn't want to go to ranges to try out different guns. Well what's that leaving? She'll most likely than buy a gun soley off looks and reference.Im sorry if im blunt. That's just it. I don't think of a fire arm as an accessory. As you said its a tool. So yes, get over. I wasn't the one posting about a wife who doesn't want to do this or that. Am I? Its like seeing a man and a woman. Man buying her a car....she's whiney, pitched, and obviously way to girly. That's a bit much. I was constructive and honest. Gun is just a tool. It has to fit just right. But the user needs to be competent and willing in the first place to find what works and what doesn't. Its that simple.
That is harsh. I don't think you comprehended what he wrote about his wife right and for you to judge her based on your high standards is a bit off-putting. I suggest you re-read what was posted.

Being able to find a good gun for someone starting out, someone who is new to this whole world should not require or demand the amount of time and investment or even passion you ask for. You are a hardcore shooter, great - good for you, but you are also coming off very elitist to say the least. This is the best way to turn someone off from shooting and from asking for help or advice.

This is me being blunt.

Random Thoughts of a Cereal Kind.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluSS View Post
On a side note:
Onequickshift: you are LUCKY to have worked on a ZR1. I want one so bad! I am a Chevy gal....even got the bowtie tatted on me along with the vette flags (I got a 95 Impala SS)
Well to re illiterate, what I meant which isn't conveyed via just text. Is that I understand some women being scared of noises and such but everything said about his wife is way to self defeating. Its not a big deal to go to the range and shoot some friends fire arms or rent a few. It really isn't. Its what I did. And im not hardcore with mine. I asked alot of questions. Here and else where. Not just women, men too; its about getting out and trying something new. Practicing to get better at it and so on. Yes not alot of women are into bikes or cars. Just got my twin into guns lol. And not many can do full builds let alone servicing their vehicles but it can all be learned it just takes time. Fire arms like vehicles. Riding and driving. Is not a right though it is lol. It must be earned. I.e. educating oneself to proper and safe handling of a fire arm. Its maintenance and trouble shooting. And so on. Im not criticizing anyone in a manner to attack, but doing constructive posting. Simply cause gheez I used to be scared of fishing lol. The deep ocean. Cudas and sharks. Sheesh. Its all just a learning experience. Moving outside ones comfort zone. But what it really takes? Is the person who'll be using the gun to want to get out test as many guns as she can to determine what she wants. I love function. It has to be tough and can last. It has to be dependable and of a high quality. It lastly is a plus if it looks pretty lol. As for you being a chevy girl? I kinda like everything. I off the bat usually don't mention what I keep in my private collection. But im at sema right now. Actually sitting at a after party relaxing, I have a carbon widebody m3, camaro ss, zr1, gtr and a few other vehicles as display pieces here at the private after party a friend is holding along with other people who were asked if they'd lend cars they normally keep under wraps for display. American wise gm is what I've mostly been into. Built a concept '10 colorado ss a few months ago with a crate ls7. I love your imps body styles to. I love crown vice too :P I like brawny 4 doors like 300c, charger, imps, vics. I rarely do car shows where I show. I don't like video or photos floating around forums of things I built for myself.

Right now my current projects at home waiting are a 66 mustang fasback. A 68 camaro. A 70 cuda. A 71 monte carlo. A 55 300sl gullwing. And a 72 240z. I just wrapped up a '09 ford ranger. 5.0L new ford coyote crate motor from jasper klein. Mild build. Supercharged. 4x4 extended cab. :P ranger is ganna see mud duty soon. Colorado is meant as a street bruised. The 68 camaro and 55 gullwing are reproduction metal bodies.

By summer I am hoping to have enough projects aside to save$ . Eye balling lwrci repr and a big lmt rifle.

As I said above. Im not a know it all. I ask q's here and have some great guys to ask q's of. Im all for helping anyone not just another woman in guns and such. If I can. Just wanted to drive the point one needs to be of mind to own one. Its a responsibility. I take it seriously. And yes am passionate. Cause I was almost raped recently due to separating from my guy. Must've looked like an easy target.

I've been at gun shops seeing a guy buying his girl a new gun. And she's so timid and childish about it. This isn't shoe shopping you know? It has to be understood and taken seriously. She was so dinky and immature. Waving the gun around. And even pointed it at her guy playfully. The shop owner said thy needed to leave. He would not sell to them. Here's a grown woman who passed her test, but when inspecting a gun. It all went out the window. Sorry if I was a bit "roar!!!!" LoL.

And yes the zr1 is a beast. Most people like my twin will never need more than a 6cyl camaro new off the lot. Or the new mustang 5.0 or camaro ss. Plenty fast. Stock base c6 vette is fast! Hehe. And I wont lie.......beautiful.

There's just something about a z06 vettes stock ls7 going into a 05 single cab silverado. Leaving the z06 open for an lsx built to high heaven......blistered wide fenders in carbon fiber.......hood, roof, widebody.....diffusers.... yum.......the pedal press and the roar.......the sound of excess boost purging. Wide wheels and tires just grabbing into the road like nails in a wooded beam lol.

I got rid of a pontiac solstice I built last year, ls3 stock swap motorset. As well my g8. And a mustang cobra to pay for the zr1 and a 67 vette rolling chassis.

And yes guns like knife collecting or bikes, cars, trucks. And more are dominated by guys. Here at sema in vegas, its mostly guys. All the women here? Are just dolls. Heh. Nothing wrong with that. I model too. But its just seeing how few are actually in, into their cars or autoculture that's a struggle in itself. Im not out to prove anything. Or fit in. F*ck that honestly. I build cars cause its fun for me. Its stress relieving. Same for bikes. I stunt them cause its fun. I race in straight lines to road courses. Drift and just drive late at night to clear my head. Same for shooting. Relieves stress. Love knowing I can protect myself. And know how to maintain my weapon. Its a bad idea to always rely on other people. From protection to fixing something. I like being self sufficient. Even if it makes me odd lol.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:06 PM
Veteran Member

I'm guessing scarville's problem is his wife really is not interested at this time in handguns. Plus the Q&As he posted don't give a favorable impression that he's taught her much about handguns, or that she has any confidence in shooting. Most likely she could benefit from an NRA basic pistol class, where she can learn and try different pistols and revolvers with other novices. I've heard it time and time again, whether in shooting or riding motorcycles, that husbands/BFs tend not to be good teachers/trainers to their wives/GFs. Perhaps that is scarville's wife's lot -- she needs a teacher who can teach her the fundamentals of shooting firearms.

And I like onequickshift's fervor. She may not articulate fully her thinking, but she is passionate about the things she loves to do, including shooting. If scarville's wife shared her husband's enthusiasm for firearms and shooting, then no doubt in my mind she would join Calguns and ask her own questions while doing her own research.

"Let those find fault whose wit's so very small,
They've need to show that they can think at all;
Errors, like straws, upon the surface flow;
He who would search for pearls, must dive below." -- John Dryden
Old 11-02-2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katokat View Post
I'm pretty much with onequickshift on this, but maybe not as fervent. I agree that the woman needs to select the one that fits her best, not only in grip but features and force, and she needs to practice with it.

However, since there are so so many different types, there's no reason not to ask for advice to narrow it down to a manageable number to try out. No need to go through the wide range of guns available. Pick a glock-type, a revolver, etc. , with a couple different calibers and see what works best. Then start narrowing it down to a specific model.

My husband (missiondude) has some great S&Ws, but when I wanted to buy one for myself, I rented an XD, Glock, Sig, etc just to try out other types. Fell in love with the S&W 952, bought it, and found that it just didn't work for me during any type of competition. Couldn't get the darn thumb safety off fast enough. Still love it at the range, though. So I got a S&W M&P in 9mm, and it's the best thing for me. As he said above, he liked it so much he bought one too.

But I guess my point is that if the woman wants a gun, she needs to take ownership of the purchase, the training, etc. If she's not willing to do that, then just buy what you want and realize that she's just not into it.

Well to be honest, its hypothetical. Cause if you like one gun. I like another. And my twin likes a different one from me. Its all preference. However with great power comes great responsibility :P hahaha. Kk....damn spiderman movie!

I just think taking the time to look around at what models have good track records is a good idea. Than going out and trying them (if you can) and making an informed decision.

To often its a guy buying his wife or gf a gun, they wont use cause they just aren't into it. Nor really cared. Just went shooting fth of it. You know?

I've seen other women drop a gun at a turners when they release the slide on a subcom xd lol.....learning is half the battle. Practice is for steady resolve/ability drawn from many days spent at the ranges. So God forbid, guys? Your wife or gf has to protect herself or your kids. She can. And she's comfortable with the fire arm she uses and owns. Its ok to ask for a womans insight. But ultimately its the trip out to find the one that works. That's all. All steam out, I just hope the op in Q, his wife gets a nice gun she loves to shoot. Be it a 9mm or a 38. Or whatever. Its the fun of finding what you like. And the satisfaction of the purchase is what you 100% love. That's how it is for me. And that's what it boils down too. Hope everyone is having a good night~
Old 11-02-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarville View Post
+1

Even though my wife wants a gun for self defense she really doesn't want to spend every weekend at the range. Maybe someday she will change her mind but today is not that day.

She is looking for a tool not a lifestyle.

So, how many guns will someone have to try to find the "perfect" gun? Twenty? Fifty? There are a LOT of different guns out there today and each has its own quirks and a different manual of arms.

"Honey, the safety on this one has to be pushed up instead of down."

"Well, the only safety on this one is that the little lever on the trigger."

"The safety on this one also un-cocks it for you." (decockers still scare her because she associates a hammer falling with a gun going bang)

"No, you have to push the magazine release on this one forward."

"The first shot on this one is double action, then it switches to single action."

If my wife goes to a range once a month and puts 50 rounds through one rental gun each time she'll need two or three years just to decide which gun to get.

How long did it take to learn to drive a car? Is a gun more or less complicated?

So now the answer is to tell her to just go ask for help on the Internet?

That's gonna work.

The Fanboys will tell her to forget everything else and that Gaston Glock is the One True Savior. The 1911 bigots will counter with the claim that John Browning's design is Perfection itself handed down by God (or at least the Angel Moroni). If she has the temerity to think a revolver might be best she can still read the interminable arguments over Ruger versus S&W.

OK, let say she get past all that. Then she can try to make some sense of the "stopping power" arguments. 45 ACP versus 9mm versus 357 magnum versus 380 versus 38 spl versus 40 S&W versus...

Frankly, I cannot think of a better way to make her hate the whole idea of owning a gun.

Apologies to the ladies in this forum if the above sounds harsh. I asked my original question because I'm trying the help my wife get past the BS I don't even notice much anymore.
Can I just re-quote this? I see the interest there. I see the desire to find a good gun and time to try. But again, as I mentioned - the hardcore passion we happen to have is not there. Not yet anyway.

Agreed with masameet that perhaps a beginner training class of some sort would be better suited for scarville's wife.

And in regards to onequickshift's fervor ... I am sorry to hear about your incident but I really don't need every fact of your life on every post you make. I can practically make a bio out of your posts in this thread alone. I don't want to "psychologize" you - but that might be something you need to take into consideration.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masameet View Post
I'm guessing scarville's problem is his wife really is not interested at this time in handguns. Plus the Q&As he posted don't give a favorable impression that he's taught her much about handguns, or that she has any confidence in shooting. Most likely she could benefit from an NRA basic pistol class, where she can learn and try different pistols and revolvers with other novices. I've heard it time and time again, whether in shooting or riding motorcycles, that husbands/BFs tend not to be good teachers/trainers to their wives/GFs. Perhaps that is scarville's wife's lot -- she needs a teacher who can teach her the fundamentals of shooting firearms.

And I like onequickshift's fervor. She may not articulate fully her thinking, but she is passionate about the things she loves to do, including shooting. If scarville's wife shared her husband's enthusiasm for firearms and shooting, then no doubt in my mind she would join Calguns and ask her own questions while doing her own research.
Thanks for the compliment. But to further be open? I on day I first posted in this topic saw gross misuse and handling of fire arms at a turners. Than on here I had a inbox full of Emails about what to buy a wife, gf, lady friend, mom. Etc lol. I preach only what I do. I bring precise detailed approaches from making scrap books. To drawing and writing story books in moleskine to cooking, and etc. A bit over zealous. Hahaha. I myself am only into fire arms cause my dad served so did my brothers. And they all shoot.

I just posted what was on top of head after reading.

Cause honestly, if im not into something. Im not going to fully commit to it if at all. Most people are like that. I don't like racing fwd cars lol. I don't like golf. And I def don't like taking shortcuts in making something or building something. So I wont do that....

Regardless of what he wrote its only text general tone and textual posture isn't easily discerned. So its ok. I went over board anyways.

Just people are not as flimsy or unable as they may seem. Its usually a choice. So eh...

I myself just don't like relying on someone to pay bills, fix my car(unless I need help dropping in a motor, removing a tranny, etc), pick a guitar or violin for me. Or a fire arm. Its just something personal, that one should really be active in. Or why at all, and a gun is more serious of a purchase than a gibson lp or buying underwear lol. Eh im ganna head to room after party is boring. Im tired. Have a good night everyone~
Old 11-02-2010, 11:27 PM
Space Cadet

Well, I think what Sajedene is trying to... re illiterate... is that sometimes people are just trying to buy a tool, and not a lifestyle. I like guns; I am a gun enthusiast. But when I go hammer shopping, I don't spend a lot of time hunting for the ideal hammer. I don't go to hammer trade shows. If hammers are expensive, I do a basic trade study on the features I want vs cost. Sometimes, I ask friends. If I don't know many people who know a lot about hammers, maybe I will ask people on a forum... Such as the "Cal Hammers Forum". Lol.

I agree with you to some extent that having fifty threads about buying a gun for someone do get old... but I disagree that people who are tentative, in the sense that they don't already know everything or think they know everything, should be kicked out for being insufficiently "hard core". Just because people are looking for advice doesn't mean they're bimbos afraid of breaking a nail. I'll shop around for some good external posts about women and firearms (there is one blog in particular I remember having lots of advice on firearms and selecting carry holsters that fit better on female shapes and things like that) - that way when people post this in the future I can post something helpful (I'm kind of lazy, so I hadn't really bothered so far.)
Old 11-02-2010, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajedene View Post
Can I just re-quote this? I see the interest there. I see the desire to find a good gun and time to try. But again, as I mentioned - the hardcore passion we happen to have is not there. Not yet anyway.

Agreed with masameet that perhaps a beginner training class of some sort would be better suited for scarville's wife.

And in regards to onequickshift's fervor ... I am sorry to hear about your incident but I really don't need every fact of your life on every post you make. I can practically make a bio out of your posts in this thread alone. I don't want to "psychologize" you - but that might be something you need to take into consideration.
Ok last post for the night. First off nice art work second I wouldn't call myself hardcore. Someday maybe. My incident is just a past event. Just want who ever buys a gun to understand them and commit to them. Zealous. Hahahaha I know. Must be inner geek. That way with movies, books, etc. So, noted. Night.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bitnintendo View Post
Well, I think what Sajedene is trying to... re illiterate... is that sometimes people are just trying to buy a tool, and not a lifestyle. I like guns; I am a gun enthusiast. But when I go hammer shopping, I don't spend a lot of time hunting for the ideal hammer. I don't go to hammer trade shows. If hammers are expensive, I do a basic trade study on the features I want vs cost. Sometimes, I ask friends. If I don't know many people who know a lot about hammers, maybe I will ask people on a forum... Such as the "Cal Hammers Forum". Lol.

I agree with you to some extent that having fifty threads about buying a gun for someone do get old... but I disagree that people who are tentative, in the sense that they don't already know everything or think they know everything, should be kicked out for being insufficiently "hard core". Just because people are looking for advice doesn't mean they're bimbos afraid of breaking a nail. I'll shop around for some good external posts about women and firearms (there is one blog in particular I remember having lots of advice on firearms and selecting carry holsters that fit better on female shapes and things like that) - that way when people post this in the future I can post something helpful (I'm kind of lazy, so I hadn't really bothered so far.)
Reiterate

And I am in full support of your sticky idea. We should include a list of great classes for women too.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onequickshift View Post
Ok last post for the night. First off nice art work second I wouldn't call myself hardcore. Someday maybe. My incident is just a past event. Just want who ever buys a gun to understand them and commit to them. Zealous. Hahahaha I know. Must be inner geek. That way with movies, books, etc. So, noted. Night.
Thanks.

And I think all us lady calgunners are pretty hardcore which is a great thing. As I already mentioned, I appreciate your passion, just gotta remember that not everyone is as passionate about 2A as we are... not yet anyway.

Good night to you too.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:42 PM
Space Cadet

Quote:
Reiterate
I know, I was being a bit catty

Quote:
And I am in full support of your sticky idea. We should include a list of great classes for women too.
I finally tracked down the site I remembered from way back, though it is awfully... pink... she does have a lot to say about types of carry holsters and how they fit women, etc. I haven't visited it in ages though, so I will have to reread and remember what my opinion was of her thoughts. http://corneredcat.com/Holster/straighttalk.aspx

I'm sure there are plenty of mainstream gun sites that go into selecting a firearm for a new or casual user... I have a research project once I get from this weekend's AK build party
Old 11-02-2010, 11:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

A handgun IS a tool. For firearms to become a lifestyle, then ... I dunno ... scarville's wife would have to morph into Steyrlp10, and I don't think that's going to happen any time soon.

As to oqs being elitist lol I don't think so. As to her being overly sharing, I must've glossed over those parts.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bitnintendo View Post
... I finally tracked down the site I remembered from way back, though it is awfully... pink... she does have a lot to say about types of carry holsters and how they fit women, etc. I haven't visited it in ages though, so I will have to reread and remember what my opinion was of her thoughts. http://corneredcat.com/Holster/straighttalk.aspx ....
Looks burgundy to me.

The lacework is lovely too.

I'd forgotten about this site. Looks like I've some reading to do. Thanks for posting it!

Old 11-03-2010, 9:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steyrlp10 View Post
I'm keyboarding without my glasses (uh oh,) but this is the thought that comes to mind after all this discussion on who should buy what for whom... we gals need to have a Girls' Day Out and hit some gun stores to "browse" It brings to mind that's like wine tasting without the hangover maybe?

Think that type of event would generate more interest than a Shoot N Que for the gals?
What's a shoot n que?
Old 11-03-2010, 10:02 AM
C3 Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by masameet View Post
A handgun IS a tool. For firearms to become a lifestyle, then ... I dunno ... scarville's wife would have to morph into Steyrlp10, and I don't think that's going to happen any time soon.

As to oqs being elitist lol I don't think so. As to her being overly sharing, I must've glossed over those parts.
Lol... I would not wish anyone to "morph" into me anytime soon. Ask the gun show guys this Sat when we have brunch

However, I do think that everyone learns at different speeds, including shooting. I am all for helping anyone who asks, but like the rest of you, I don't consider myself an "expert" -- just someone who remembers how tough it was to understand the basics in the beginning.

As for the "list of helpful hints," I recall Bdsmchs/Angie were putting together something on how to make the range a more welcome environment for women. I don't know if that was ever completed, but I think all the input from Lady Calgunners at that time was a great source of info.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:04 AM
C3 Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catheaven View Post
What's a shoot n que?
A Calgunners' get-together with a BBQ potluck and shooting

A few of those events have been posted in the Community Chapter Forum. I have pics from the July 2010 one at Chabot if you want to get an idea.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:57 AM

Default testosterone...

Yup. [Sniff, sniff]. Waaaaay too much testosterone for this place to be called the Ladies Forum. lol

I read the womens forum because I just got married to a woman not interested in shooting, but who has expressed a little interest in understanding guns better since there are so many in the house. I may also deploy in the near future and very much want her to be able to protect herself in my absence. I've learned REAMS of information from the women who post on here, and I thank you all for educating me on how women think about shooting, (and honestly, it gives me hope that my wife may get the gun bug and be my partner on the range).
Old 11-03-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdmmcc View Post
(it gives me hope that my wife may get the gun bug and be my partner on the range).
The trick is to not force things if someone falls into a hobby/activity, it usually works best if they go their own way. Like buying a car. If you go to a nissan dealer, and a new cube is forced on you but you wanted a 370z, you are more likely to sell what you dont want, to get what you really want. However its more satisfying first time around to know what you want, and get it.

And sorry for my spelling, was on phone last night, this site doesn't load to well lol. And I tend to stop looking at whats typed as I tap, instead just tap away and post lol.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:17 PM

Hello ladies (and dudes). How are you? I'm fine, thanks for asking. Look at the other posts, now back to me. This is what those other posts are missing:

Would you like to get your lady friend involved in shooting? Well, then listen here. You go to your lady and say,
"Hello sexy/beautiful/accomplished/self sufficient/kick ***/car fixin'/non-car fixin'/awesome lady. You sure do look good today, and I'd love to spend the day with you, and only you (and perhaps some guns and ammo). Would you like to go shooting with me? We can make a trade, I'll see that chick flick/horror/action/documentary movie that I know you'll love but isn't really my thing, if you would just try using your sexy awesomeness on the range. In fact, if you like it we can go....(wait for it)...shopping. That's right shopping with your man, where I pay to get you the gun (and perhaps accessories!!!!) you want because this gun thing is not only something I love and want to share with you, but also a way for you to perhaps show me up at my own game and have the bragging rights FOREVER (also, it could protect you or possibly save your life, or mine, or our children's, or the lady down the street who is kinda annoying, but basically really nice). Now I know that you are the most amazing lady ever, which is why I think you should give this a try. What do you say?"

Problem solved. You're welcome.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:39 PM

Yeah, so my above post seems kinda silly, but after reading more in the ladies forum, I'm convinced it makes the right point. There are differences between "the wiring" or whatever you want to call it, general differences in communication, that many guys posting things about "I want to buy my girl a gun" seem to be not getting.

If your lady isn't into the gun thing because she's scared/inexperienced/etc. I would suggest, in addition to all the great things people have to say about all this, thinking about not just the technical aspects, but the whole picture. It's not just about getting her to the range and firing the guns, it's about creating a whole experience that is positive. You wouldn't ask a girl out and tell her she's gonna have the best time ever, and then pick her up without showing/shaving/dressing nicely. You wouldn't then throw a half eaten hamburger at her and say, "there's dinner, now lets tongue." No sir! Not if you want to get anywhere at least. No, you would plan it out. You would shower, shave, clean out your car, take her somewhere decent, be polite, etc. Same thing applies to new experiences that you like, but she may not be thrilled about. I'm not saying women need coddling because honestly, I would recommend this kind of planning for any new experience for anyone (man, woman, child, horse, dog, etc.) No, not saying you should date a horse or dog. Creating positive experiences around the issue helps the person associate the scary or new thing with good things. You increase your chances of success.

If she is into guns, make it a "lets do this together" thing. You know, relationship building junk. Ask Dr. Phil, I'm sure he'd agree that spending time together to make a purchase [of a firearm] is better than just a purchase.

Make it a day together, make it a date. That way it's an experience, not a stressful few hours of, "you learn this, then that, no hold it this way, no not like that, what's wrong with you anyway" kinda thing. Who knows, you might just get lucky (success in any form is my meaning of lucky, but far be it from me to stop you from reading into this word) for all your extra effort. good luck men.
Old 11-08-2010, 9:38 AM

DC, THANK YOU!!

While I do appreciate guys wanting to get their girls a gun/into shooting, I get tired of seeing the same posts asking the same questions, cluttering the LADIES forum.

I would never dream of buying a car, power tools, etc. for my husband without him test driving, researching, etc. first!! Same goes for guns. Would you want anyone buying you something without you trying it out first?

Also, as one gets further into (insert any hobby), their tastes and abilities change as their experience and interests develop, so even if you choose the "right" gun for a novice shooter doesn't mean that it would get much use later, right?

While I would LOVE someone to offer to buy me a gun, purchasing one for me sight unseen and without any chance to handle it would actually offend me somewhat, I would actually feel insulted that he didn't think I was capable of choosing a gun for myself.

While I do commend these guys for trying to include the females in their lives in their hobbies, please just treat them as you would ANY new shooter. Please?
Old 01-23-2011, 8:33 PM

Was about to read my Glamour & InStyle mags but decided to browse some posts here instead...

I've been at pretty much every gun show in the Bay Area over the past two years with my husband. We sell parts & accessories for the AR-15 platform. I think I've heard almost every stereotype and misconception about women and guns. Since this is our business, I can't take things personally or get offended - my end goal is for the person on the other side of the counter to buy something. But trust me, some stupid stuff has been said. And although there are some women who know exactly what they want (gimme 10 pmag rebuilt kits!) there are many women who are at the shows because of their husbands/boyfriends. They are sometimes a bit timid, and sometimes quiet. A smile from me and some gentle encouragement and non-intimidating conversation go along way. Now with our store open, I have a little more time to chat with the women who come in. Intimidated by the tricked out AR hanging on the wall? Its OK. Try this 22 instead. Now there are some who may think this is a dumbed down approach. The first time I showed my mom an AR she was scared just looking at it. Now she's saying she's ready to buy her own handgun. My little sister was scared the first time she fired a pistol at the range with us. Now I cannot get her to stop bugging me about when we're going shooting again. Baby steps.

Not everyone is as into fashion as I am. Or diamonds. Or guns. But you want to go to the mall, the Jewelry Center, the range? Let's go! I myself don't fit into a neat little box. A lot of people don't. Differences are OK with me. Women have many different perspectives on guns... love em, hate em, enthusiast, a mild crush, obsessed - it runs the gamut. For me personally, Tunis would NEVER buy me a gun without my input But that's just me. Wearer of camo + sequins. Thanks DKNY for the great illustration that those two things can combine beautifully. On that note, back to fashion. Come see me at our shop, Metal Dog Tactical.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member

PinkStock, thank you for that mini-essay. I really enjoyed reading it.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:40 AM
C3 Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkStock View Post
Was about to read my Glamour & InStyle mags but decided to browse some posts here instead...

I've been at pretty much every gun show in the Bay Area over the past two years with my husband. We sell parts & accessories for the AR-15 platform. I think I've heard almost every stereotype and misconception about women and guns. Since this is our business, I can't take things personally or get offended - my end goal is for the person on the other side of the counter to buy something. But trust me, some stupid stuff has been said. And although there are some women who know exactly what they want (gimme 10 pmag rebuilt kits!) there are many women who are at the shows because of their husbands/boyfriends. They are sometimes a bit timid, and sometimes quiet. A smile from me and some gentle encouragement and non-intimidating conversation go along way. Now with our store open, I have a little more time to chat with the women who come in. Intimidated by the tricked out AR hanging on the wall? Its OK. Try this 22 instead. Now there are some who may think this is a dumbed down approach. The first time I showed my mom an AR she was scared just looking at it. Now she's saying she's ready to buy her own handgun. My little sister was scared the first time she fired a pistol at the range with us. Now I cannot get her to stop bugging me about when we're going shooting again. Baby steps.

Not everyone is as into fashion as I am. Or diamonds. Or guns. But you want to go to the mall, the Jewelry Center, the range? Let's go! I myself don't fit into a neat little box. A lot of people don't. Differences are OK with me. Women have many different perspectives on guns... love em, hate em, enthusiast, a mild crush, obsessed - it runs the gamut. For me personally, Tunis would NEVER buy me a gun without my input But that's just me. Wearer of camo + sequins. Thanks DKNY for the great illustration that those two things can combine beautifully. On that note, back to fashion. Come see me at our shop, Metal Dog Tactical.
You go Girl -- and glad you guys had an outstanding Grand Opening!

Old 03-20-2011, 7:37 AM

Probably good advise but I don't want my wife posting where I post. She won't find me on Facebook...
Old 04-12-2011, 1:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I think everyone should just go buy their own gun. Agreed

Last edited by Neil McCauley; 04-12-2011 at 1:09 PM..
Old 04-12-2011, 1:17 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaded Claymore View Post
Folks, when you are in the market for a gun, I am 99.5% certain that you always prefer to choose it yourself.
+1

A family friend of ours is a 22-year-old gal who has lost both of her parents already. She's part friend, part daughter, so when she told me that she wanted a handgun, I figured it was best for her to decide what she wanted.

We talked about her intent for the gun, and about some of the different brands/models out there and their pluses and minuses. Went to the range where she tried Glocks, M&Ps, XDs, 1911s, Sigs, and a couple of revolvers. Then took her to a gun show where she was able to handle everything that looked interesting to her.

In the end she picked what she wanted. And it was a pretty good pick...a CZ SP-01 Phantom. I hope she lets me shoot it...it looks to be a great gun.

Last edited by Gryff; 04-12-2011 at 1:46 PM..
Old 07-25-2011, 4:13 AM

I learned that my dog isnt a great swimmer, and he gets really mad when strangers try to take a bone from him. there was no traffic getting there or coming back, we had some really good food and drank a good amount of beer.

caravans for sale
Old 07-25-2011, 4:37 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaded Claymore View Post
Full disclosure: I am a man. But I got tired of seeing this happen. I waited for someone to post about it, but no one did.
Kudos! I was starting to think progressive Californians were just sexist good ol' boys like me! I still told my wife to pick her OWN gun (a Taurus 85 - not MY cup of tea, but she LOVES it, and knows how to USE it!), though.
Old 09-07-2011, 9:19 PM

Ladies and gentlemen, I know it's not the COOL answer, but as a former shooting instructor, and father of daughters who hunt and shoot, etc. I firmly believe that EVERYONE's first handgun should be whatever .22 caliber they fit/like the best. I don't care if you are a burly man, a petite woman, or my 40 pound little girl when I first taught her to shoot. The FIRST firearm should be low recoil, low concussion. Proper shooting technique is easier to develop that way. I agree that you need to let the shooter decide what FEELS best. But knowing what .22 grip you like will be a big help in picking your next handguns (that will cost a lot more) because you'll already know the grip angle and width you prefer. e.g. if you like the buckmark better than the ruger Mark II, you'll probably also prefer the hi-power grip angle to the GLock's. Or vice versa. If you already have a .22 in the same basic frame style, you'll be more likely to practice more often and shoot more rounds during those sessions. Once again, that's regardless of being a man or woman, big or small.
Old 09-07-2011, 9:25 PM

Ladies and gentlemen, I know it's not the COOL answer, but as a former shooting instructor, and father of daughters who hunt and shoot, etc. I firmly believe that EVERYONE's first handgun should be whatever .22 caliber they fit/like the best. I don't care if you are a burly man, a petite woman, or my 40 pound little girl when I first taught her to shoot. The FIRST firearm should be low recoil, low concussion. Proper shooting technique is easier to develop that way. I agree that you need to let the shooter decide what FEELS best. But knowing what .22 grip you like will be a big help in picking your next handguns (that will cost a lot more) because you'll already know the grip angle and width you prefer. e.g. if you like the buckmark better than the ruger Mark II, you'll probably also prefer the hi-power grip angle to the GLock's. Or vice versa. If you already have a .22 in the same basic frame style, you'll be more likely to practice more often and shoot more rounds during those sessions. Once again, that's regardless of being a man or woman, big or small.
Old 09-07-2011, 9:28 PM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime

no disagreement from me, Bayou.
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 09-29-2011, 10:07 PM

I bought my wife a Sig mosquito with a pink lower. I didn't ask her advice or anything, but i knew a feminine gun in a small caliber would be a safe bet. She loves it, and is making me buy her a Ruger LCR when I come home on R&R that she wants to use once she get her CCW. Who know's what's next, I created a monster... lol
Old 11-26-2011, 9:53 PM

Hi guys I’m Tiffany Ray a new member for this site, I hope that I'm welcome in this Forum and to know more about this site.
Old 11-27-2011, 6:40 PM

Welcome Tiffany and I hope you find all of the subforums enjoyable and informative. I am not here much - I'm over at the C and R or Rimfire. There are a lot of women here who can really give you guidance if you need it and we'd all like you to share your knowledge with us!

Once again welcome.
The cure: Buy a Mosin M44 and shoot 100 rounds as fast as you can. When you can handle that, you are good to go.
7.62X54R Скалы
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic59320_9.gif
Old 11-27-2011, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member

But then how will all the guys pretend to be shopping for a gun for their girlfriends and then accidentally not know that they never wanted a gun in the first place and then keep the gun for themselves?!

claymores.... i hate claymores...
Old 03-05-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_shooter View Post
I'll go a step further: just buy the gun that you want!

The local ranges are full of ninjas shooting shotguns, ARs and Garands at 15 yards. I can feel my shirt flutter when they open fire! It's the surest way to get my wife spooked (YMMV.)
I just had to comment. I took my Girl to the range just yesterday for the first time, we rented a S&W M&P9 (because she is picking up her Ruger sr9 this weekend) so she could get a feel for a 9mm. And low and behold, we were placed right next to a couple guys shooting a Barret 50. Cal Sniper, Needless to say after that experience, i don't think any amount of gunfire will spook her like that did,lol. But hey, she Did hit the target 20 out of 25 times even with an airblast hitting her face form the 50. Cal. I was Proud!, And yes If this sounds familiar She is Antheia who has been posting here for a few days