Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 09-22-2022, 7:19 PM

Default Project Appleseed is back in the Bay Area! Is your 10/22 setup?

I'm excited that Project Appleseed is back in the Bay!
USI in Concord on Oct 29-30.
https://appleseedinfo.org/schedulemap/

This event is structured with 10/22 (read: cheap ammo) in mind. As a discussion on how to setup your rifle in order to attend a Project Appleseed event. Allow me to make some suggestions and also ask some questions.

Are you going?
Have you ever been?

Beginners are welcome! and, non-beginners will be challenged!
Appleseed will rekindle the American Spirit in all of us. You will also learn about American Revolutionary war history and your American Heritage.

I've heard people (always from someone who hasn't attended) say something like "aww thats a kids program."
If you have been to an AS event, please chime in and tell everyone if you think its a "kid's program" Personally, I was humbled my first time.
What rifle did you bring? Did you change anything after attending?

For those of you who will be joining us in October at USI in Concord, let's discuss your rifle setup. Do you have your rifle setup?

A 10/22 is a great way to go, and I have some suggestions. Ruger platform is common, cheap, and great.
A 10/22 in dedicated AR platform is also a great way to go.
No matter what rifle you bring, anything .22-8mm is welcome. Apologies, this event will be a .22lr ONLY event. This may change in the future, as dictated by the host range.

Here are some things you will want:

Adjustable sights or a low power scope. (zero for 25 yards)
A USGI sling (or similar) and a 6 oclock mounted sling mount.
Minimum of 2 magazines.

Other things that are nice and you will want (but you can do without.)
Auto bolt release (easy upgrade for stock rugers)
Extended mag release (just easier)
Shooting mat and/or elbow pads. (comfort)
Shade and a camp chair, sunblock, water & electrolytes, snacks.
400 rounds of the same ammo (even better if your rifle likes it. 22lr is finnicky)
Extra mags and cleaning supplies.

I personally have setup a TacSol 10/22, which is a nice 10/22 in ruger platform. It has a nice parts, an auto bolt release and extended mag release. I have a cheap Leupold 3x9 on it.
I have also setup a dedicated 10/22 AR upper which is great to use as a trainer for your 556 AR pattern rifle.

Either of these would be an excellent choice!

Come awaken your inner American!

See ya out on the range!
-aK-
"On every question of construction carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed." —Thomas Jefferson (1823)

Last edited by -aK-; 10-07-2022 at 11:23 AM..
Old 10-02-2022, 12:42 AM
Veteran Member

I sure hope they have this program at Concord again sometime. I just can't get the time off of work to attend this time.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum!
Old 10-02-2022, 6:47 AM

Appleseed is definitely not a kids only program.
It's great for kids of all ages.

It's very easy to have fun and learn a whole lot about marksmanship.
It's very difficult to develop the techniques and skills to achieve a score near a perfect 250.

Reliable gear, teachable attitude, and perseverance are all required for successful weekend.

I developed this rifle over time and have used it at many Appleseeds.
A Ruger 10/22 bedded into an M-14 stock.
Tech sights front sight
M-14 NM rear sight (Sarco sells an adapter to fit the sight to the 10/22)
Turner NM leather sling
extended mag release, mag well clearanced for drop free operation
Oversized bolt handle
20" barrel
Modified bolt release.

Dial in your equipment, show up prepared and you will have fun!

My favorite rifle for Appleseed is an M-14 NM
My highest score was shot with an AR-15 NM

Your mileage may vary.

PG
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2570.jpg (90.1 KB, 82 views)
Old 10-02-2022, 6:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by polygunner View Post
PG
At the moment, it's an adults-only program, courtesy of AB 2571. I hope kids are able to join again soon. My son wants to go.

There's a SoCal event the week before in Rainbow. It'll be my first.
Old 10-02-2022, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornStrategy View Post
At the moment, it's an adults-only program, courtesy of AB 2571. I hope kids are able to join again soon. My son wants to go.

I hate Ca.

PG
Old 10-07-2022, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornStrategy View Post

I do not advertise Appleseed events.
I do not advertise or promote to minors.
I follow all laws, even when I disagree with them. Heck I even wear my seatbelt.

Having said that. And, I'm not a lawyer, not giving law advice, just a law abiding man that stayed at a holiday inn last night.

It is my understanding that law (in my opinion a violation of 1A rights) prohibits the advertising to minors of firearms related products or the use of. It doesn't prohibit minors to use or buy those products.

In other words, I can teach a minor firearm safety or marksmanship still, I can not advertise or promote to a minor to come and learn firearm safety or marksmanship.

As usual the CA lawmakers have heads up asses.

If I am wrong about that please correct me.

See ya'll out on the range, and be safe,
-aK-
"On every question of construction carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed." —Thomas Jefferson (1823)
Old 10-08-2022, 10:46 AM
Git-R-Done
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by -aK- View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassCase View Post
I only buy fireworks from Three Finger Willie over at One Eyed Jack's Fireworks.
iTrader

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1884858
Old 10-10-2022, 7:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M76 View Post
hahaha, thats awesome.

My post didn't read exactly how I wanted it. but, lol'd.

Correct me if I'm wrong about my interpretation of the law. haha
Old 10-12-2022, 5:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by -aK- View Post
I do not advertise Appleseed events.
I do not advertise or promote to minors.
I follow all laws, even when I disagree with them. Heck I even wear my seatbelt.

Having said that. And, I'm not a lawyer, not giving law advice, just a law abiding man that stayed at a holiday inn last night.

It is my understanding that law (in my opinion a violation of 1A rights) prohibits the advertising to minors of firearms related products or the use of. It doesn't prohibit minors to use or buy those products.

In other words, I can teach a minor firearm safety or marksmanship still, I can not advertise or promote to a minor to come and learn firearm safety or marksmanship.

See ya'll out on the range, and be safe,
-aK-
Oh, I'm not a lawyer either. All I know is that I went to the Appleseed registration page to add my son to the class and found the following:

Due to California Assembly Bill 2571, Project Appleseed welcomes adult shooters only to events at Tehama Shooters Association effective August 1st, 2022. Students must be 18 years or older to attend events at this range.

Not sure if that only applies to events in Red Bluff (I don't see anything) or all California Appleseeds.

If it applies to all of them, well, nothing of that sort surprises me anymore. Par for the course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARFrog
The 25m AQT we use has simulated distance targets that are the same size in your sight picture as man-sized targets at the actual distances.

Stage 1: One simulated 100 yard target, one mag, 10 rounds, 2 minutes, firing from standing.

Stage 2: Two simulated 200 yard targets; mags of 2 and 8, 5 and 5 in the targets, 55 seconds, start standing, shoot seated or kneeling.

Stage 3: Three simulated 300 yard targets, mags of 2 and 8, 3 3 4 in the targets, 65 seconds, start standing, shoot prone.

Stage 4: Four simulated 400 yard targets, one mag, 10 rounds, 2 2 3 3 in the targets, 5 minutes, shoot prone (this stage counts double).

To score Expert and get the Rifleman's patch, you need to score 210 or higher.
That's very helpful. Thanks.

Quote:
Personally, I have used an AR-22 and a Marlin 795. If you have them, I recommend having a back-up rifle in the trunk just in case. I have had a firing pin break towards the end of day one and have had another gun with a walking scope.
Will do. It's a centerfire (Ruger PCC), so if there's nothing but 10/22s on the line, I imagine the noise won't make me many friends.
Old 10-07-2022, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polygunner View Post

It's very easy to have fun and learn a whole lot about marksmanship.
It's very difficult to develop the techniques and skills to achieve a score near a perfect 250.

Reliable gear, teachable attitude, and perseverance are all required for successful weekend.

I developed this rifle over time and have used it at many Appleseeds.
A Ruger 10/22 bedded into an M-14 stock.
Tech sights front sight
M-14 NM rear sight (Sarco sells an adapter to fit the sight to the 10/22)
Turner NM leather sling
extended mag release, mag well clearanced for drop free operation
Oversized bolt handle
20" barrel
Modified bolt release.

Dial in your equipment, show up prepared and you will have fun!

My favorite rifle for Appleseed is an M-14 NM
My highest score was shot with an AR-15 NM

Your mileage may vary.

PG
100%!
Old 10-05-2022, 8:07 PM

Ahhh man. I have really been wanting to go to one of these but I have plans that weekend. Hope they try again in this area.
Old 10-07-2022, 12:24 PM

My 10/22 is totally not set up for appleseed, and my 39m is not ideal, but I'll be bringing both and figuring it out. Looking forward to the event!
Old 10-07-2022, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imageview View Post
My 10/22 is totally not set up for appleseed, and my 39m is not ideal, but I'll be bringing both and figuring it out. Looking forward to the event!
Excellent! There is plenty of time to get it setup.
Old 10-07-2022, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member

Would this rifle be appropriate?

CZ 457 American with a Leupold 3-9 x33 EFR scope and Montana sling that's been zeroed to 25 yards. Have (4) 5-round mags, and would consider picking up some 10-round mags if necessary.

I'd love to attend this event.

Last edited by Vinnie Boombatz; 10-07-2022 at 12:42 PM..
Old 10-07-2022, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie Boombatz View Post
Would this rifle be appropriate?

CZ 457 American with a Leupold 3-9 x33 EFR scope and Montana sling that's been zeroed to 25 yards. Have (4) 5-round mags, and would consider picking up some 10-round mags if necessary.

I'd love to attend this event.

Yessir, it absolutely will and that is a beautiful rifle.

I don't personally have experience with the montana sling. Can you make a loop sling with it?

I would suggest to also get a backup USGI sling for the event. They are cheap. Less than $15. Then you can try either or both.

Ten round mags are not a necessity to attend.
Old 10-08-2022, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member

Given I only have a few 5-round mags for my rifle and the class calls for 400 rounds over the two days, do you recommend buying more mags? I’m just wondering if there’s enough time between drills and what not to be able to keep up in the class with only a few 5-round mags.

I just ordered a shooting mat and have everything else already that was recommended above and have been to a fair amount of classes, but never to a Project Appleseed event. Have no idea the structure/format.
Old 10-08-2022, 10:44 AM

Vinnie,

That is a beautiful rifle. Could it be be used for Appleseed - probably; but I think you would be at a disadvantage with the 5 round magazine.

Here is the course of fire information I pulled from another site:

The 25m AQT we use has simulated distance targets that are the same size in your sight picture as man-sized targets at the actual distances.

Stage 1: One simulated 100 yard target, one mag, 10 rounds, 2 minutes, firing from standing.

Stage 2: Two simulated 200 yard targets; mags of 2 and 8, 5 and 5 in the targets, 55 seconds, start standing, shoot seated or kneeling.

Stage 3: Three simulated 300 yard targets, mags of 2 and 8, 3 3 4 in the targets, 65 seconds, start standing, shoot prone.

Stage 4: Four simulated 400 yard targets, one mag, 10 rounds, 2 2 3 3 in the targets, 5 minutes, shoot prone (this stage counts double).

It would seem you would have to to extra magazine changes - plus the bolt operation - that might put you at a time disadvantage for the shorter timed courses of fire.

That said, while the vast majority of people shoot semi-auto 22 rifles, I have shot next to others using a M1A Tanker in 308 and a bolt action in 223 with a larger magazine. I have also seen some individuals use tube fed rifles.

Personally, I have used an AR-22 and a Marlin 795. If you have them, I recommend having a back-up rifle in the trunk just in case. I have had a firing pin break towards the end of day one and have had another gun with a walking scope.

All in all, Appleseed is a great event that I recommend to all shooters - new and old. You will learn a lot about shooting fundamentals, your rifle and history of our nation's founding.

P.S. - my best "friends" for the event were a McFadden speed loader and a BabyUpLULA® – .22LR to assist with loading magazines between courses of fire.

ARFrog

Last edited by ARFrog; 10-08-2022 at 10:50 AM..
Old 10-08-2022, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARFrog View Post
Vinnie,

That is a beautiful rifle. Could it be be used for Appleseed - probably; but I think you would be at a disadvantage with the 5 round magazine.

Here is the course of fire information I pulled from another site:

It would seem you would have to to extra magazine changes - plus the bolt operation - that might put you at a time disadvantage for the shorter timed courses of fire.

That said, while the vast majority of people shoot semi-auto 22 rifles, I have shot next to others using a M1A Tanker in 308 and a bolt action in 223 with a larger magazine. I have also seen some individuals use tube fed rifles.

All in all, Appleseed is a great event that I recommend to all shooters - new and old. You will learn a lot about shooting fundamentals, your rifle and history of our nation's founding.

P.S. - my best "friends" for the event were a McFadden speed loader and a BabyUpLULA® – .22LR to assist with loading magazines between courses of fire.
Thanks for the info!

Unfortunately I don’t have a spare or semi-auto rifle. Still will attend though. Don’t really care what my score is and just want to see what the event is all about. Maybe I’ll pick up a few 10-round mags as well.

Last edited by Vinnie Boombatz; 10-08-2022 at 2:35 PM..
Old 10-08-2022, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info!

Unfortunately I don’t have a spare or seni-auto rifle. Still will attend though. Don’t really care what my score is and just want to see what the event is all about. Maybe I’ll pick up a few 10-round mags as well.
That's the spirit. Whether you get a Rifleman patch or not, there is a lot to learn and fun to be had. Concepts like natural point of aim, proper sling usage, how to properly use your scope, etc. are transferable to any rifle you have.

Another recommendation - practice some squats - deep knee bends - getting up and down to and from your belly in the weeks ahead of the Appleseed event. Your body will thank you and you will be able to

ARFrog
Old 10-08-2022, 4:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARFrog View Post
That's the spirit. Whether you get a Rifleman patch or not, there is a lot to learn and fun to be had. Concepts like natural point of aim, proper sling usage, how to properly use your scope, etc. are transferable to any rifle you have.

Another recommendation - practice some squats - deep knee bends - getting up and down to and from your belly in the weeks ahead of the Appleseed event. Your body will thank you and you will be able to

Thanks again!

I hit the gym regularly, so I'm most likely good in that department, it's my lack of skill/experience that will need improving!

Googled some videos of the sling and way it's used in the classes and just ordered the sling from Project Appleseed.

Last edited by Vinnie Boombatz; 10-10-2022 at 1:51 PM..
Old 10-10-2022, 7:35 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the info!

Unfortunately I don’t have a spare or semi-auto rifle. Still will attend though. Don’t really care what my score is and just want to see what the event is all about. Maybe I’ll pick up a few 10-round mags as well.
Big thumbs up to this attitude!

and as ARfrog correctly points out. 10-round mags will assist you with time on during the timed courses of fire, but are by no means necessary to attend or upgrade your personal skills.
Old 10-10-2022, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info!

I would pick up at least 4 10-round mags. CZ 457 10 rounders were hard to get until recently when I started seeing them around on the web for sale. But do your shopping. if you get 10 rounders, you can at least attempt the appleseed AQT and if you shoot well enough, you'll earn the patch.

I did my first appleseed with a 457 on a chassis. I struggled and fought with the heavy chassis and bull barrel. The next appleseed after that, I had an off the shelf 10/22 and got my patch. I've also shot the known distance, which is an appleseed shot at much longer distance. I did a 200 yard known distance in Sac.

So far, I've gone to 4 appleseeds. I learned so much, and it broadened my horizons tremendously. Shooting on the clock while shooting from changing positions brings up the degree of difficulty tremendously.

Here are my tips:

-Use the loop sling (which you already have coming).
-you might need to move your scope forward, A LOT. I experimented with a few different scope bases to get the scope on my cz 457 forward enough to not get scope shadow when shooting prone. I ended up with a CZ scope base. (I also have an area 419 base). I would try to get this sorted out as much as you can before class.
-get the 10 round mags, hell even Midway has them in stock at the moment.
-Bring ammo your gun likes...not Minimags lol.
-try out all your mags, and keep the good ones for class.
-Make sure your scope has parallax adjustment down to 25 yards. **I just saw your scope, and it has parallax down to 10 yards, and you're already sighted in! Good times!

Prob most important in my eyes is get your scope issues sorted out before class. Its hard to get equipment issues sorted out in the middle of a class. You don't need that stress. You'll already have your hands full learning other things.

Last edited by Peahi2; 10-10-2022 at 4:58 PM..
Old 10-10-2022, 5:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peahi2 View Post
I would pick up at least 4 10-round mags. CZ 457 10 rounders were hard to get until recently when I started seeing them around on the web for sale. But do your shopping. if you get 10 rounders, you can at least attempt the appleseed AQT and if you shoot well enough, you'll earn the patch.

I did my first appleseed with a 457 on a chassis. I struggled and fought with the heavy chassis and bull barrel. The next appleseed after that, I had an off the shelf 10/22 and got my patch. I've also shot the known distance, which is an appleseed shot at much longer distance. I did a 200 yard known distance in Sac.

So far, I've gone to 4 appleseeds. I learned so much, and it broadened my horizons tremendously. Shooting on the clock while shooting from changing positions brings up the degree of difficulty tremendously.

Here are my tips:

-Use the loop sling (which you already have coming).
-you might need to move your scope forward, A LOT. I experimented with a few different scope bases to get the scope on my cz 457 forward enough to not get scope shadow when shooting prone. I ended up with a CZ scope base. (I also have an area 419 base). I would try to get this sorted out as much as you can before class.
-get the 10 round mags, hell even Midway has them in stock at the moment.
-Bring ammo your gun likes...not Minimags lol.
-try out all your mags, and keep the good ones for class.
-Make sure your scope has parallax adjustment down to 25 yards. **I just saw your scope, and it has parallax down to 10 yards, and you're already sighted in! Good times!

Prob most important in my eyes is get your scope issues sorted out before class. Its hard to get equipment issues sorted out in the middle of a class. You don't need that stress. You'll already have your hands full learning other things.
I could care less about a patch the first time in one of these classes and most likely will take the class more than once. Better to just use it the way I'm used to it and have it set up and then make any necessary changes AFTER running it in the class.

I did order some 10-round mags from Greg Cote.

Last edited by Vinnie Boombatz; 10-10-2022 at 5:12 PM..
Old 10-11-2022, 9:15 PM

Quote:
I could care less about a patch the first time in one of these classes and most likely will take the class more than once. Better to just use it the way I'm used to it and have it set up and then make any necessary changes AFTER running it in the class.

I did order some 10-round mags from Greg Cote.
Ok, but at least take your set up prone before class to make sure your scope is usable in prone. This isn't just my advice...this is general appleseed advice given out by instructors and people who have gone. Go look it up on the appleseed forums or just on the web, like rimfirecentral or reddit.

When you shoot prone with what you are taught at appleseed, you will turkey neck and have your cheek very far forward on the rifle. This helps with consistency. You may need to move the scope forward in the rings a lot, and move the rings forward a lot too, this is where the rail comes into play.

Also, you might need to build up a cheek piece to get things all properly aligned.

The last thing you want to do adjusting your scope and remounting everything. I mean, you'll need tools, torque limiters, levels, a flat table, etc....not something easily done in the field. If you have to redo everything when you go home on day 1, you ate up a whole day...and then next day is not the day to be rezeroing.

You want to be nice and comfy on your rifle so you can focus on learning and shooting relaxed.

Last edited by Peahi2; 10-11-2022 at 9:26 PM..
Old 10-08-2022, 2:34 PM
Reptile&Samurai Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

So glad this is happening at USI - love it.
Old 10-10-2022, 7:36 AM

Great answers and great advice @ARFrog
Old 10-12-2022, 7:26 PM

This event in Concord is rimfire only according to email I received.
Old 10-12-2022, 8:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imageview View Post
This event in Concord is rimfire only according to email I received.
Apologies for the confusion. I'm thread crapping.

The Concord Appleseed (Oct 29-30) is indeed rimfire only.

There's also an Appleseed in SoCal the weekend before (Oct 22-23). It's in Rainbow. That one allows centerfire. That's where I'm headed.
Old 10-17-2022, 4:56 PM

At this moment, until Project Appleseed's national committee approves it, youth under 18 are not allowed at any CA event. Hoping with more clarifying language we'll be able to have youth on the lines again.

To the person with only 5 rd mags...You'll be just fine. Your mag prep will be 5 & 5, no worries. When you do the hits count (Red Coat) that requires 13 rounds, just take 3 extra rounds up with you.
Old 10-23-2022, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal22Gal View Post
At this moment, until Project Appleseed's national committee approves it, youth under 18 are not allowed at any CA event. Hoping with more clarifying language we'll be able to have youth on the lines again.
My 16 year old kid and I have been prepping for this event ever since it was announced to be close to home.

As another has previously noted, the canceling of programs and elimination of future shooters appears to be the goal. A teachable moment for my kid, and has affirmed to her all the other elitist, entitled mentality and thought processes of the California government she has already seen.
Old 10-24-2022, 7:07 AM

I know it's a bummer, we miss having youth on the lines too.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE CONCORD EVENT IS A RIMFIRE ONLY EVENT. THIS IS THE RANGE'S REQUEST.

Future events might be open, but this one is rimfire only.
Old 10-31-2022, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member

Attended the class at USI this past weekend and all I can say is I can't wait to take the class again. Recommended 1,000%.

The instructors were great, I learned a TON, was able to get my rifleman patch, and kept improving as the class went on. Instructors were VERY knowledgable, safety was paramount and it seemed like everyone there was having a great time.

This would be a great way to introduce someone to firearms who may be on the fence about them or believes it all about violence, etc. The lectures and history lessons were fantastic, the lecturers were passionate and (at least for me) gave me an even greater sense of pride and appreciation for what we have in this country, especially during a time when all others do is complain about how bad it supposedly is here.

The class was 100% apolitical, and if others who don't know much about firearms attended it would expose them to a great example of what the firearms community is actually about while learning about those who fought for the freedoms we have (and take for granted) today.

For anyone planning to attend in the future and hasn't been to this class...make sure your scope is forward enough to get proper eye relief when in the prone position. I cannot emphasize this enough! I had to adjust and move my scope as far forward as it would go on my rifle (which meant having to re-zero it during the class). This would be way less stressful if you did this BEFROE the class and not during it. Being on the firing line with my tools and hastily remounting the scope wasn't ideal, and luckily it only took shooting one group to get the scope re-zeroed (and credit this to the excellent tutorial given during the class about how to zero a rifle).

I could have also benefitted from an extra inch or so on my stock (I'm 6'2" tall), but still really enjoyed my rifle and set up I had.

Bring a good shooting mat. You will thank me later. I also wore pants that I could slip very thin neoprene knee pads into that were a nice addition and saved my knees. There were a few others wearing knee pads and a few wearing elbows pads or incorporated addition padding for they elbows in the way of bath mats, towels, and I used a small section of a Z-rest sleeping pad I use when I'm camping. I still ended up with some blisters on my support-side elbow that now looks like monkey pox.

I started out wearing a baseball cap but switched to a full-brim boonie hat. I preferred the boonie had because the rigid brim of the ball cap would hit my scope now and then, where the brim on the boonie had didn't. There were a fair amount of burrs and goat heads on the range we were on so long pants and boots were definitely appreciated. I also wore long sleeves despite it warming up as the days went on because of the burrs. Still managed to miss some of them when laying down on my mat and planted a hand on a few more than once. It all added to the experience and was nothing compared to what those who were fighting the redcoats endured!

I had four 10-round mags and three 5-round mags and it was more than enough. Could have easily gotten by with half that, but was nice to have the mags pre-loaded for each stage of the AQT even though you do have enough time between stages to reload the mags you just used in most cases.

Last edited by Vinnie Boombatz; 10-31-2022 at 11:53 AM..
Old 11-05-2022, 9:13 AM

Great review..I was hoping someone would give their impressions of the class. Didn't quite make it to this one, but will be prepared and ready for the next time.

Out of curiosity, all shooters were using slings? Tough going to the LGS and finding anything but just a carry sling
Old 11-05-2022, 1:35 PM

You really want to use a sling. Can pick them up on the Appleseed website along with the hardware to use them. Really good class, unfortunately I had family stuff come up the second day that kept me from attending. Although given how my body felt after just one day… The best prep for these events is exercise..
Old 11-06-2022, 9:07 AM
Veteran Member

I hope they have another one soon at USI. I've always wanted to attend one of these events.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum!
Old 12-04-2022, 1:00 PM

So far it looks like only southern Ca. Is on the calendar for 2023
Old 12-06-2022, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal-ar View Post
So far it looks like only southern Ca. Is on the calendar for 2023
Yup, they usually list the Redding/Red Bluff/Sacramento and now hopefully Concord classes early in the year after they can confirm the dates with the ranges being used.
Old 01-17-2023, 7:20 PM

Nor Cal posted, no Concord yet.

Wife and I are booked for Sac in June.
Old 02-01-2023, 5:46 AM
Veteran Member

Will there be Concord dates posted for 2023? I'd much rather take the class at Concord because of how close it is to me, wouldn't have to get a hotel, and the Concord instructors were fantastic.

Last edited by Vinnie Boombatz; 02-01-2023 at 5:53 AM..