Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 08-12-2018, 4:39 PM

Default Safety Glass PSA

I had stack of primers blow up today. Fortunately, the design of the Dillon 650 mitigated injury. It sounded like a pistol shot with no hearing protection right next to me. The force went straight up through the primer tube but I could feel the air pressure. I was sure that I was leaking from somewhere but it was just air. Im glad I always wear safety glasses at the bench.

Hereís a pic of the aluminum inner tube.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E3868995-5084-44F8-BDB6-2F0D99A47A3D.jpg (17.3 KB, 193 views)
Old 08-12-2018, 4:52 PM

Glad youre OK. That one of my biggest fears when reloading? Besides hurting myself, I also worry if my neighbors would call LEO when they hear the load bang. That would be another headache by its self. As Im sure you already know, Dillon will take care of you but do you know what would have caused the failure?
Old 08-12-2018, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trriemferent View Post
Glad youre OK. That one of my biggest fears when reloading? Besides hurting myself, I also worry if my neighbors would call LEO when they hear the load bang. That would be another headache by its self. As Im sure you already know, Dillon will take care of you but do you know what would have caused the failure?
I might have been going a little fast. I canít feel the primer seating on my 650 the way I do on the 550. I just got a fresh box of Starline .38 super comp and I was going for a personal best cranking out 2k rounds. Never had a problem before and Iíve been reloading for 50 years.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Winchester primers, or S&B?
Old 08-13-2018, 1:35 PM

Damn son, glad you are okay.
Old 08-13-2018, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
Winchester primers, or S&B?
Why are those the prime suspects?
Old 08-13-2018, 2:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I had a stack of Federal (small pistol) primers blow up in my 1050. The thick primer tube shield saved me. The follower was Z shaped and across the room, my primer mag looked like the OPs, and it was stuck in the tube. I hosed the tube with WD-40 before trying to extract the primer mag incase there were some live ones still in there. Dillon sent a new assembly, including that shield tube.

Federal uses more sensitive compound (which is why people use it with lightened hammers, etc). The Dillon guy recommended I not use them.

One thing that scared the poo out of me was that when it happened, I had TAKEN OFF MY GLASSES because I have crappy eyesight so I had to get up close to see what was jamming up the press. When the primer stack blew up the primer that was in the primer slide blew apart and the primer anvil hit me square on the nose and I was bleeding from the cut/impact. It was an inch and a half from either eye.

Like OP, I will never reload without glasses or safety glasses (I have prescription safety glasses)

The pop was not as deafening as I thought it might be, I had no ringing in my ears, but have considered wearing some ear pro when loading too, though that is more cumbersome than just glasses. Still it could be really loud.

My workshop has an unfinished ceiling and the insulation has a primer-rod sized hole in it.

Remember to dial 1 before 911.

Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

There. Are. Four. Lights!
Old 08-13-2018, 5:14 PM

Not making this a war of brands... has anyone experienced this issue with any other brand of progressive?

How many primers did you have through the primer tube when she blew?
Old 08-14-2018, 4:53 AM
Calguns Addict

I'd like to know the brand of primers.

I popped a Winchester one time, and it was my fault as I forced it into a case that still had the primer crimp, as I didn't stop and check why it was resisting.

I can only imagine the pop of more than one...
Old 08-14-2018, 6:15 PM

CCI primers. I believe I was over aggressive. The case feeder is running perfectly and was really sailing.

Dillon is sending me a whole new primer assembly just in case another component is compromised. They said to make sure I tossed the steel tube because itís only rated for one stack detonation.

Iím really impressed with how the primer tube contained the detonation and how Dillon supports their products when something breaks.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:07 AM
Levers, the original AW
CGN Contributor

think i will wear my safety glasses from now on when reloading

I have been wearing hearing protection but that is because I already have hearing loss and tinnitus and was worried about the noise of primers going off even though it has not happened to me yet.
Old 08-15-2018, 7:48 PM

I had the same thing happen to me I was reloading 223
And one peace of brass was not swaged it blew a whole in my barge door window

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 08-15-2018, 10:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Glad you are ok op.

I will wear my safety glasses now.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:31 AM

This seems to be common for Dillon loaders. I've seen pics of primer tubes and shrapnel embedded in the drywall ceiling of a loading room too. Does the chain detonation happen because the shuttle crushes the primer or does the detonation occur while seating the primer?

With the LnL AP, the only pressure on the shuttle is a small spring that pulls the shuttle back into the press as the press is lowered. The primer shuttle is separated by several inches from the tube when seating the primer. Fortunately, there is also a secondary shield steel tube over the primer tube.

Glad you're OK and I hope you don't have permanent hearing damage.
Old 08-16-2018, 1:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

For mine, what happened was that I had a jam up on the 1050, the ratchet does not allow you to back off the stroke (on purpose), but I raised the ratcheting arm so that I could. I THINK maybe what happened was that when I "reset" the system, I really didn't reset it and there maybe have been a primer already in the primer pocket, and I forced/crushed another one in there, which popped one or both of them. The weird thing is that somehow the flash must have been channelled back along the primer shuttle, then up to the primer magazine which set off the chain reaction. The only other way is if somehow the primer leaving the primer mag, ready to be shuttled forward got stuck sideways or something in the shuttle and I forced it forward (I really don't recall) with the primer standing on it's side and therefore the shuttle sheared it off sideways, thus setting it off halfway in/halfway out of the primer mag tube.

Dillon asked me "Federal primers? Yeah, try a different brand, Federal's priming compound is more sensitive".

Remember to dial 1 before 911.

Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

There. Are. Four. Lights!
Old 08-16-2018, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Waster View Post

Dillon asked me "Federal primers? Yeah, try a different brand, Federal's priming compound is more sensitive".
I'm not sure about the priming compound being more sensitive, but the primers themselves are definitely softer.
Old 08-16-2018, 5:13 PM

Not sure if they still do but I remember Dillon recommending not using Federal primers before. I have heard of this on the Dillon forums a few times and it is always Federal. I have completely collapsed, folded, etc winchester primers with out any issues. They are all I use now.