Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 04-16-2019, 9:33 PM

I'm sure the sellers wouldnt charge tax if they didnt have too. I cant imagine the nightmare trying to figure out the tax rate for each zip code in this state.
Old 04-17-2019, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB> View Post
Had a sale on ebay (used item, no less). I noticed when sending the invoice, that ebay automatically added (and collected) the applicable state tax where the buyer resided...
There is no sales tax on private party to private party sales
Old 04-17-2019, 3:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW View Post
The local businesses had a right to complain. Too often they were used as showrooms for online stores. Guys would go in, waste a clerks time getting the right size shoe or whatever then order it online.
Same thing happened to gun shops. Spend a bunch of shopkeeper time learning about a scope or holster, then skip out and buy it online.
While I agree with your sentiment, it wasn't me, the consumer, who created these "competitiveness issues." If the rent, overhead, or payroll is too high, the businesses need to shut down so there is no longer the "free showroom," instead of lobbying for me to have to pay extra to the state for no reason.
Old 04-17-2019, 3:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

As others pointed out, this is not Midway's fault. They weren't the ones to push for sales tax, quite the opposite.
Old 04-17-2019, 4:03 PM

Yeah Optics Planet sent out an email saying they were going to be forced to start collecting sales tax as of Apr 1st.

I think it only applies if they have a physical presence inside the state you live in. I know a few electronics sites that still don't charge tax.
Old 04-17-2019, 5:38 PM

Place your ire where it needs to go: California politicians.

Midway as of 1 Apr 2019 was just following the law.
Old 04-17-2019, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallShark View Post
you pay tax when you earn the money, then you pay tax again when you spend the money which has been taxed already.
It doesn't begin there though, The money is taxed before that and before that and before that.

The government is just getting their cut every step of the way.
Old 04-17-2019, 6:24 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHamn View Post
Yeah Optics Planet sent out an email saying they were going to be forced to start collecting sales tax as of Apr 1st.

I think it only applies if they have a physical presence inside the state you live in. I know a few electronics sites that still don't charge tax.
It used to apply thus - that changed, and CA is going after all of the mail-order/internet order companies.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 04-17-2019, 7:02 PM

No sales tax...? What do you mean no sales tax?

You guys have been paying your individual California use taxes on out of state purchases on your annual returns, right. You wouldn’t want post up on a public forum that you haven’t, right.

Do you owe use tax? Ask the Franchise Tax Board https://www.ftb.ca.gov/individuals/use-tax.shtml
Old 04-17-2019, 9:38 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHamn View Post

It used to apply thus - that changed, and CA is going after all of the mail-order/internet order companies.
That change was caused by a 2018 SCOTUS ruling (South Dakota v Wayfair Inc).
Which basically made it legal for a State to require all e-commerce sites to collect sales tax for them, regardless of whether the e-commerce sites have a physical presence in that State or not.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 04-17-2019, 9:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatyMac View Post

You guys have been paying your individual California use taxes on out of state purchases on your annual returns, right. You wouldn’t want post up on a public forum that you haven’t, right.

Do you owe use tax? Ask the Franchise Tax Board https://www.ftb.ca.gov/individuals/use-tax.shtml
nope, never paid since i turned 18.

come at me CA BOE Bros.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSig1911 View Post
Preppers canceled my order this afternoon because I called them a disgrace... Not ordering from those clowns again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrepperGunShop View Post
Truthfully, we cancelled your order because of your lack of civility and your threats ... What is a problem is when you threaten my customer service team and make demands instead of being civil. Plain and simple just don't be an a**hole (where you told us to shove it).
Old 04-17-2019, 10:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVC View Post
While I agree with your sentiment, it wasn't me, the consumer, who created these "competitiveness issues." If the rent, overhead, or payroll is too high, the businesses need to shut down so there is no longer the "free showroom," instead of lobbying for me to have to pay extra to the state for no reason.
"The businesses need to shut down."
Great suggestion

btw You always had to pay extra to the state. This just forced Midway and the rest to be the collection agents.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Clip View Post
Yeah, I was just going to make a $300 purchase.
The extra $30 for CA tax has me waiting for some kind of sale before I pull the trigger.
In the study of economics this is called a "dead weight loss"
Old 04-18-2019, 7:12 AM
Banned

Do you want some cheese with that whine?
Old 04-18-2019, 8:46 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatyMac View Post

As far as I remember, the whole concept of "use tax" was on somewhat shaky legal ground and it hasn't been properly litigated.

(I haven't looked it up, it's just from memory...)
Old 04-18-2019, 8:52 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW View Post
"The businesses need to shut down."
Great suggestion

btw You always had to pay extra to the state. This just forced Midway and the rest to be the collection agents.
It's not so much a suggestion as it is the reality on the ground.

Where I live, shopping malls and building owners want high rents, yet local economy doesn't support it. The only way to get rents down and to get to a more sustainable business model is for companies to go out of business, force some owners into foreclosure, have banks eat the loss for lending based on wishful thinking, have someone new come in at fraction of the cost and then the rents can match what the local economy supports.

It's similar with competition against online vendors. If they have warehouses in remote areas where land and labor are cheap, you can't compete if your cost structure is high. No different than complaining about cheap Chinese crap at Walmart.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:43 PM

You can't even use zip codes to determine sales tax rates. Zip Codes cross and overlap city borders. Look up a old paper Thomas Brothers Map book.
In some cities like Long Beach and Signal Hill, which side of the street you ship to makes a big difference. Only people making money on this deal are the Gov't , accountants and software vendors.
Old 04-18-2019, 2:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORRGAR9 View Post
You can't even use zip codes to determine sales tax rates. Zip Codes cross and overlap city borders. Look up a old paper Thomas Brothers Map book.
In some cities like Long Beach and Signal Hill, which side of the street you ship to makes a big difference. Only people making money on this deal are the Gov't , accountants and software vendors.
all this means is finding internet vendors that are small enough to not give a F cause the CA BOE is gonna be hard pressed to find them.

big outfits will comply since they are big corps and have much more visibility and money to lose in a lawsuit against CA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSig1911 View Post
Preppers canceled my order this afternoon because I called them a disgrace... Not ordering from those clowns again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrepperGunShop View Post
Truthfully, we cancelled your order because of your lack of civility and your threats ... What is a problem is when you threaten my customer service team and make demands instead of being civil. Plain and simple just don't be an a**hole (where you told us to shove it).
Old 04-18-2019, 3:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
Not their fault, and absolutely nothing they can do about it.
Hey! Don't go bringing logic and rationality into this!

"Far and away the best prize life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorris7556 View Post
They teach you secret stuff I can't mention on line.