Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 01-13-2020, 7:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconLair View Post
might want to proceed with caution on these newly released revolvers

Hickok45 noting an issue he encountered with cycling the one he was reviewing and uploaded the content today - @ 30:30 in the video he encounters the cylinder issue

i'm more than willing to wait and see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dO-lQEX49U
I'm sure Colt will get these ironed out eventually but here's another (different) failure where the firing pin isn't striking the cartridge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usNrm9vOQBo

I'll wait to pick one of these up down the road.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:08 PM

^^^^^^^^

I viewed the kid's other original video and he is also having Hickok45's issue of the cylinder not turning.

The guys on Colt Forum are having issues with marred muzzles/crowns on the their new Pythons as well. Not a great launch for this firearm.

"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crockett
Old 01-13-2020, 12:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I handled one this weekend at River City Gun Exchange. "In person" it looks and feels in hand more like the old model Python than may be apparent in photos. The DA trigger is much better than the old model. SA thumb cocking is very smooth but not as soft. I'd say that's due in part to the different lock work but also because the thumbpiece isn't as elongated. I'll wait to buy one, but definitely will. On its own it, seems like a well thought out and made gun.

Last edited by dfletcher; 01-13-2020 at 12:34 PM..
Old 01-13-2020, 6:10 PM
Norville Iron Bank
CGN Contributor

I'm surprised how nice the Ruger GP's look up close these days. Was hard to pass up when Turners had then on sale over the holidays.
Old 01-13-2020, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfletcher View Post
I handled one this weekend at River City Gun Exchange. "In person" it looks and feels in hand more like the old model Python than may be apparent in photos. The DA trigger is much better than the old model. SA thumb cocking is very smooth but not as soft. I'd say that's due in part to the different lock work but also because the thumbpiece isn't as elongated. I'll wait to buy one, but definitely will. On its own it, seems like a well thought out and made gun.

I think we handled the same one I ended up buying the last king cobra 4Ē model they had and I put down a deposit on the python in 6Ē but I am reconsidering it. Not only because of the potential issues they are having but also because of the SA only. I canít find any diagram or instructions showing the new pythons internals, and I donít really want to have to deal with it. Iíd just wait for it to be released on the roster and buy it in the future.
Old 01-14-2020, 3:15 PM

Best practical comparison and contrast video I've watched so far. He puts a Lyman trigger pull gauge on both guns in single action and gets 4lb 1oz on the 2020 Python and 3lbs 1oz on his 1982 python.
Old 01-14-2020, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwatchdog View Post
I think we handled the same one I ended up buying the last king cobra 4Ē model they had and I put down a deposit on the python in 6Ē but I am reconsidering it. Not only because of the potential issues they are having but also because of the SA only. I canít find any diagram or instructions showing the new pythons internals, and I donít really want to have to deal with it. Iíd just wait for it to be released on the roster and buy it in the future.
Can't you just buy it, DROS it then have them fix the broken trigger after you pick it up? But I doubt you'll have to wait long for the roster. I only saved maybe a month when I SAE'd my .357 LCRx.
Old 01-14-2020, 4:08 PM

Never buy a brand new released gun. Always issues with first batch and prices are normally jacked up too
Old 01-14-2020, 7:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Check post #7 for a shot of the internals.

https://www.coltforum.com/forums/pyt...re-thread.html

The DA sear will drop out easy - pin will push out with finger pressure. Should be simple. Of all the SA conversions I've done or revolvers I've worked with these look to be about the easiest to do.
Old 01-14-2020, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfletcher View Post
Check post #7 for a shot of the internals.

https://www.coltforum.com/forums/pyt...re-thread.html

The DA sear will drop out easy - pin will push out with finger pressure. Should be simple. Of all the SA conversions I've done or revolvers I've worked with these look to be about the easiest to do.

Thanks for the links. I ended up putting the deposit in though at Turners, so it will probably be around in the spring. I think I’ll wait to see about these issues before I buy. Also, the % markup where is saw it at will make it over $2100. They sold the one they had for $2100 and the next ones will probably be more until the market settles. Turners was $1449.
Old 01-14-2020, 8:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thanks for the links. I ended up putting the deposit in though at Turners, so it will probably be around in the spring. I think Iíll wait to see about these issues before I buy. Also, the % markup where is saw it at will make it over $2100. They sold the one they had for $2100 and the next ones will probably be more until the market settles. Turners was $1449.
A fool and his money will soon be parted.

This is referencing to those who are paying over MSRP for the new Python.