Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 12-24-2019, 9:31 AM

I don't think many people know about this fee increase. A lot of people are going to be shocked.
Old 12-24-2019, 9:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordupmybrotha View Post
What's stopping them from charging $200 DROS fee?
Why not 10k?

Sent from my LEX727 using Tapatalk
Old 12-24-2019, 10:46 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceDay View Post
CA sucks. The numbers aren't in our favor and they're generally getting worse because most who can leave do leave. It doesn't help to scold those of us who are left fighting the battle.
As an ex-Californian celebrating 25 years or so away from the state, I'd opine that the "battle", as you put it, was lost quite a while ago. Your government is doing a great job in whittling away what's left.

If I could live my life all over,
It wouldn't matter anyway,
'Cause I never could stay sober
On the Corpus Christi Bay. Robert Earl Keene

Heaven goes by favor.
If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain
Old 12-24-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post

The legislative path to remedy is closed.

The Federal legislative path will remain open and promising with a victory in 2020 and further Fed court restructuring.
CAs glimmer of hope?

Last edited by Dan_Eastvale; 12-24-2019 at 11:28 AM..
Old 12-24-2019, 11:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Eastvale View Post
The Federal legislative path will remain open and promising with a victory in 2020 and further Fed court restructuring.
CAs glimmer of hope?
Unfortunately that requires judicial cooperation locally to enforce preemption.

"“[S]cientific proof” of both gun-rights and gun-control theories “is very hard to get”; therefore, requiring “some substantial scientific proof to show that a [firearm] law will indeed substantially reduce crime and injury” is tantamount to applying strict scrutiny to, and almost certainly will lead to invalidation of, the law." - Kamela Harris

Lawyers and their Stockholm Syndrome
Old 12-24-2019, 11:42 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by big red View Post
Pardon my ignorance but who is Gipson? I guess i don't hang around enough to know.
Assemblyman Mike Gipson, principle author of AB 879, the 'precursor parts' bill.
Old 12-24-2019, 11:48 AM

Thank you Librarian. there are so many idiots in Sacramento it sometimes gets hard to keep track of the worst.
Old 12-24-2019, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member

The mandatory PPT was suppose to be reasonably priced to make it so people wouldn't ignore it.

For the $35, is it really worth the risk ? The higher this goes the more likely people will say "let's just handle it between us". And for a long gun that was sold prior to 2014, no way for anyone to know, right?

What I think will happen is selling a gun out of state is now a more viable option because the shipping cost will be less than the DROS fees. Result is more guns leaving the state which is what they want.
Old 12-24-2019, 12:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrotuniformlima View Post
The mandatory PPT was suppose to be reasonably priced to make it so people wouldn't ignore it.

For the $35, is it really worth the risk ? The higher this goes the more likely people will say "let's just handle it between us". And for a long gun that was sold prior to 2014, no way for anyone to know, right?

What I think will happen is selling a gun out of state is now a more viable option because the shipping cost will be less than the DROS fees. Result is more guns leaving the state which is what they want.
Emphasis a bit on the bold stuff, and the same as selling a gun in state v. out of state.

"Handle it between us" has been happening for quite a while in California ...whether you ignore it or not. Assuming buyer and seller know each other as trustworthy, chances of being busted are minuscule in reality.

I would not recommend it in California, but going from CA to TX and then ID, it's more than obvious that FTF sales without a licensee definitely work, legal or illegal. As has been posted a million times here, criminals ignore the law 100% of the time anyway.

If I could live my life all over,
It wouldn't matter anyway,
'Cause I never could stay sober
On the Corpus Christi Bay. Robert Earl Keene

Heaven goes by favor.
If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain
Old 12-26-2019, 2:08 PM

quick question...

Did anyone here sign up for regulation updates at BOFregulations@doj.ca.gov? Doing a check to see if people received an e-mail update on regs because I certainly didn't.
Old 12-26-2019, 3:30 PM

Transfer of guns between private parties is going to happen minus DROS the higher the DROS goes. What it will entail is both sides having copies of each others driver's licenses and a cursory check on some site like hot gunsz stolen guns or other sites to partly help cover the seller. is the person a criminal who knows. But that is one of the possible many downfalls if DROS prices itself out of the gun world. People will go back to the old ways. i have already seen it happen this year and I am sure it will increase. DOJ may have opened up Pandora's box.
Old 12-26-2019, 3:41 PM

The 24th Amendment makes it illegal to charge a fee in order to exercise the right to vote. Liberals argue that requiring an ID in order to vote is both unconstitutional and somehow racist as well.

Yet they have no problem charging exorbitant fees and requiring not only proof of ID, but proof of residence and citizenship in order to exercise your right to buy a firearm.
Old 12-26-2019, 3:51 PM

Seems like taxation without representation.
Old 12-26-2019, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153 View Post
Seems like taxation without representation.
Not quite. We get to vote for the CA State Assembly / Senate, for all the good it does. So it's not taxation without representation, it's a hypocritical difference in how some constitutional rights are more equal then others.
Old 12-27-2019, 8:24 AM

I thought we won the lawsuit that said DOJ could not charge more than the cost to process the DROS. They had something like $35 Million they overcharged and appropriated to other uses.

Now after over charging, we are going to overcharge some more????
Old 12-27-2019, 8:30 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac90660 View Post
I thought we won the lawsuit that said DOJ could not charge more than the cost to process the DROS. They had something like $35 Million they overcharged and appropriated to other uses.

Now after over charging, we are going to overcharge some more????
I was thinking the same thing. After the suit DOJ added the "inspection and safety fee", for the work around.
Old 12-27-2019, 8:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdben92883 View Post
How does this force people to buy firearms from a dealer? The DROS is paid on a new purchase and PPT. If anything, it might encourage buyers buy multiple firearms to consolidate the DROS, but it's also going to give many pause in purchasing that $100 Savage .22 when it ends up being another $60 OTD.
Except under the new laws you can only by ONE firearm a month. So no more multi firearms transactions each and every one is subject to the tax DROS.
Old 12-27-2019, 8:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REH View Post
I was thinking the same thing. After the suit DOJ added the "inspection and safety fee", for the work around.
They can eat a bag of d****. With them already charging extortion costs to manufacturers to keep their stuff on the roster, they’re overcharging us too
Old 12-27-2019, 9:03 AM

WELCOME TO CALIFORNIA. where the laws passed by the People, the Constitution, and the Bill of Rights count for nothing. You are in Newscum territory now.
Old 12-27-2019, 10:23 AM
Calguns Addict

Easy solution,stop buying guns.
NRA LIFE (1974) Psalm 46:10
I had a commission/USNR from 71-77 but never consider myself a Vet MyDad+4uncles/USMC/WW2/Korea/Vietnam. My Grandfather US Army WW1. No heroes,just regular folks--they were Veterans.

Psalm 23 “The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing—“
Old 12-27-2019, 11:09 AM

Your probably right GM4SPD but doesn't that play into the government's hands unless we keep the movement of guns going by refusing to partcipate in their DOJ screwed up registration plans and taxes? We end up like NYC. No sales, then the government outlaws guns and makes us all criminals because we won't give up our private property.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:30 PM

Default DROS Fee Increase 2020

As of 01/01/20 the DROS Fee went up from $25 ($19 DROS + $5 Safety and Enforcement Fee + $1 Firearm Safety Act Fee) to $37.19 ($31.19 DROS + $5 Safety and Enforcement Fee + $1 Firearm Safety Act Fee).

I’m starting to think California politicians actually like guns because they invent these fees and then increase them just because. On top of that they’re collecting sales tax too.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:38 AM
I need a LIFE!!

With no controlling legal federal authority, California can do whatever it wants to do.

Yes, the SCOTUS is also A-ok with this, make no mistake. They are not looking out for you, the government exists to support the government.

That's why none of us are on the list for survival shelters when the sh*t hits.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natman View Post
The 24th Amendment makes it illegal to charge a fee in order to exercise the right to vote. Liberals argue that requiring an ID in order to vote is both unconstitutional and somehow racist as well.

Yet they have no problem charging exorbitant fees and requiring not only proof of ID, but proof of residence and citizenship in order to exercise your right to buy a firearm.
You do not have to be a citizen to purchase a firearm. You do have to be legal resident if not a US citizen.

Quote:
BeAuMaN quick question...

Did anyone here sign up for regulation updates at BOFregulations@doj.ca.gov? Doing a check to see if people received an e-mail update on regs because I certainly didn't
Yes, I receive the notices including the one sent out regarding this topic.
Old 01-12-2020, 2:13 PM

People will bend their knee and pay the increases even though the increases are in clear violation of the mandate given to them by law. All DOJ/BOF will say is "sue us" and if the illegal action stands long enough they will claim it is law due to accepted practice because it was allowed to stand for so long. expect YEARLY increases if someone does not challenge this in a lawsuit this year. Happy New Year folks
Old 01-13-2020, 9:08 AM

They just grin and bear... Like the ammo background check and fees.
Do everything little by little.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:03 PM

So, I would pay a max of $35 for a PPT and it goes up to a maximum of $47.19 now?

Last edited by savoirrangefaire; 01-13-2020 at 11:14 PM..
Old 01-13-2020, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeAuMaN View Post
quick question...

Did anyone here sign up for regulation updates at BOFregulations@doj.ca.gov? Doing a check to see if people received an e-mail update on regs because I certainly didn't.
Received a relatively prompt notification that I was placed on the list, that's all.

Last edited by savoirrangefaire; 01-13-2020 at 11:31 PM..
Old 01-14-2020, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoirrangefaire View Post
Received a relatively prompt notification that I was placed on the list, that's all.
Thanks... I was checking if something was sent out or not, but I already confirmed it.

Edit: Also you'll receive notifications whenever new regulations come out. They'll almost always come from a different email address though originating @doj.ca.gov since they spin a new email up for each regulatory filing/hearing. The last one was sent out on 12/19/2019 from realidregs@doj.ca.gov afaik.

Last edited by BeAuMaN; 01-15-2020 at 3:50 PM..
Old 01-15-2020, 1:02 AM

Seems like only the wealthy will be able to own firearms to protect themselves. I wonder how the lower class liberals think about this. More specifically the lower class, less fortunate Democrats that have been voting for the past 60 years and they are still dirt poor.
Old 01-18-2020, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut714 View Post
Seems like only the wealthy will be able to own firearms to protect themselves. I wonder how the lower class liberals think about this. More specifically the lower class, less fortunate Democrats that have been voting for the past 60 years and they are still dirt poor.
Some people will believe whatever you tell them. Some people believe that strict/restrictive gun laws will make a place more safe. You’re right, eventually only wealthy people will be able to have firearms. I see California trying to place extra taxes/fees /insurance on firearm ownership. Can you imagine if they get their way with requiring insurance for ownership? Maybe they’ll start out cheap, $100 per year per gun. Then it’s $500, $1000, $5000 per year. Eventually when you can’t pay, you’re in violation of the insurance law and your guns are seized. As for the poor, give them a little handout using our tax money and they’re happy for the time being. That’s the way it works around here and around the world.
Old 01-19-2020, 8:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoirrangefaire View Post
So, I would pay a max of $35 for a PPT and it goes up to a maximum of $47.19 now?
yup, I just dropped $47 for a PPT at turners this past week
Old 01-20-2020, 7:33 AM

We need to raise prices and its an emergency. What a load of crap.