Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 11-05-2010, 10:14 AM
Calguns Addict

If the Livescan/fingerprinting was for a CCW issued by the sheriff, it qualifies under the law. The question, of course, is whether or not it applies forward only or if it's retroactive.
Old 11-05-2010, 2:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebronze View Post
The Penal Code doesn't say anything about that, so I'd tend to doubt that there's a difference. The Penal Code is pretty cut/dried on that.
Quote:
12052(b)However, if the license applicant has previously applied to the same licensing authority for a license to carry firearms pursuant to Section 12050 and the applicant's fingerprints and fee have been previously forwarded to the Department of Justice, as provided by this section
My layman's reading of that is it only applies if the fingerprints and fee were forwarded specifically for a 12050 application. This would mean that if the livescan was done for a job it wouldn't count. That appears to also be the way that Sac. sees it. It is also, IMO, too much of a fringe case to pursue really.
650-315-2210
http://CoyotePointArmory.com
Old 11-07-2010, 2:24 PM

I'm expecting to have my permit in-hand within the month. Once I have it, I'm planning on keeping it. Therefore I would like to be 100% on the processes for annual re-qualification and biennial renewals.

Is there a form to complete for each? Or do we simply show up at 711 G Street with our re-qualification/renewal paperwork? Is there a specific window of time preceding the 1-year (for re-qual) and 2-year (for renewal) date that we have to provide the qual/renewal paperwork?

I have seen ZERO on the actual process for renewal and re-qualification. It would be nice to see this added to the SacSheriff website, or at least added to the CalGuns site that Gray posted at the start of this thread.

Anyone have this knowledge yet?
Old 11-07-2010, 3:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

We'll know in 2 years from last January

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @cgfgunrights on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 11-07-2010, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
We'll know in 2 years from last January

-Gene
Well if you don't know yet then at least I'm in good company.
Old 11-07-2010, 3:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bret Daniels View Post
The training should be offered by the Sheriff at no charge. The department has a huge range that goes unused a great deal of the time. Would be easy to open it up to people seeking permits or just knowledge/training for home use at no cost.
One of the many reasons I had hoped you were elected instead.

OIF 07-09 Veteran
NRA Endowment Member, CRPA Life Member
Old 11-09-2010, 11:42 AM
Calguns Addict

Is there anything that can be done about the tiny time window for turning in all required paperwork at the end of the process? Tuesdays between 9 and 11 AM. They are currently turning away people as early as 9:30 AM because they have too many people waiting to turn in their paperwork. The letter that came for the DOJ Livescan results said we have 30 days to turn in our paperwork and now they are turning people away. Can anyone from CGF et al. address this?
Old 11-09-2010, 11:58 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb7706 View Post
I am 100% in favor of training, and any CCW holder that does not seek out training and regular practice is not acting responsibly IMO, but requiring someone to lay out hundreds of dollars in fees and training is entirely wrong IMO.

I agree
Old 11-09-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinger View Post
I'm expecting to have my permit in-hand within the month. Once I have it, I'm planning on keeping it. Therefore I would like to be 100% on the processes for annual re-qualification and biennial renewals.

Is there a form to complete for each? Or do we simply show up at 711 G Street with our re-qualification/renewal paperwork? Is there a specific window of time preceding the 1-year (for re-qual) and 2-year (for renewal) date that we have to provide the qual/renewal paperwork?

I have seen ZERO on the actual process for renewal and re-qualification. It would be nice to see this added to the SacSheriff website, or at least added to the CalGuns site that Gray posted at the start of this thread.

Anyone have this knowledge yet?
I was wondering the same thing. I haven't heard/read ANYTHING about annual re-quals and just assumed that it was something SSD wasn't enforcing.

Semper Fi!

Old 11-11-2010, 3:48 PM

I have my appointment, January 19th.
Old 11-11-2010, 8:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinger View Post
Well if you don't know yet then at least I'm in good company.
Oh... I know. I'm just saying that people will tell me I'm wrong until they have incontrovertible proof on that timeline...

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @cgfgunrights on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 11-12-2010, 4:25 PM

Default What are my chances?

New to the board…very informative. My appointment with Amber is not till the 26th of January. What do you all think are my chances of getting approved in Sacramento County CCW? In addition to the request that “I wish to carry a firearm for self defense and the defense of my family”, I will make a couple of other points I will make on a separate letter I will turn in with my application:
• I am a 100% service connected disabled veteran with 22+ years of active duty service (will submit DD214 with my application).
• I am a citizen of the utmost moral character. My background have been extensively investigated and cleared by the US government and granted a security clearance. My security clearance is active and valid to July 2019. I have attached verification of my security clearance.

I figured a security clearance investigation is more intensive and in depth than what background check the DOJ will do for CCW and hoping they will not turn down my application. What do you all think?
Old 11-12-2010, 8:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-nra View Post
What do you all think are my chances of getting approved in Sacramento County CCW? In addition to the request that “I wish to carry a firearm for self defense and the defense of my family”, I will make a couple of other points I will make on a separate letter I will turn in with my application:
You have a 100% chance of getting a CCW in Sac as long as you don't have a criminal past.

-Gene

DONATE NOW

Old 11-12-2010, 11:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
New to the board…very informative. My appointment with Amber is not till the 26th of January. What do you all think are my chances of getting approved in Sacramento County CCW? In addition to the request that “I wish to carry a firearm for self defense and the defense of my family”, I will make a couple of other points I will make on a separate letter I will turn in with my application:
• I am a 100% service connected disabled veteran with 22+ years of active duty service (will submit DD214 with my application).
• I am a citizen of the utmost moral character. My background have been extensively investigated and cleared by the US government and granted a security clearance. My security clearance is active and valid to July 2019. I have attached verification of my security clearance.

I figured a security clearance investigation is more intensive and in depth than what background check the DOJ will do for CCW and hoping they will not turn down my application. What do you all think?
Hoofmag knows the percentage odds better than me but I agree that it would look that your odds are 100% even without your additional points of information. I had a "long version" of a good cause statement but took Brandon's recommendation and just cut it back to the "short and sweet" version and got approved. Save yourself the trouble and keep it short and just answer the questions they ask.

Congrats on being in Sacramento County!
Old 11-12-2010, 11:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

As to good cause, that's all you'll need. You won't need anything else. Your security clearance won't mean a whole lot specifically as it's not for a CCW Firearms background. Since your info/prints will already be on file, a return from the FBI should be VERY quick though. If they look beyond the info provided on a Firearms Background check to see if you're a good, trustworthy, moral guy, then your previous security clearance might help.

While I think I remember seeing a section on the application that asked if you're military or previous military, I don't recall seeing anything about clearances. I'd say you should omit that unless asked to provide the info. Your DD214 will suffice for proof of military service, if that's necessary.

In reality, you basically stand a 100% chance of getting a CCW as long as you don't have any recent adverse contacts with law enforcement. All you need to do is just apply, and you've got your appointment for that!
Old 11-13-2010, 5:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbinger007 View Post
To clear up one point of confusion, the Sacramento Sheriff Department's printed documents linked above mention that permits are restricted and invalid within 1,000 feet of a school zone.

That policy was rescinded earlier this month and communicated to all existing permit holders via a letter dated October 5th, a copy of which is located in another discussion thread at http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...4&postcount=44 For a good copy of said, letter, please refer to the pdf linked in Gene's post at http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...8&postcount=61.
Strange... my wife never got a letter... and she's an SSD employee!
Billy
Old 11-13-2010, 7:50 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepFreak View Post
Strange... my wife never got a letter... and she's an SSD employee!
Billy
Strange indeed. jb7706 posted a scanned copy of his letter somewhere (generic salutation) which you could find and print out but it's probably best to e-mail Amber (address is shown on http://calgunsfoundation.org/index.p...122-sacramento) and ask her for a letter. The cleanest thing is to buy another handgun, qualify with it, and get it added so she gets a new license.
Old 11-13-2010, 9:09 AM

Quote:
Strange indeed. jb7706 posted a scanned copy of his letter somewhere (generic salutation) which you could find and print out but it's probably best to e-mail Amber (address is shown on http://calgunsfoundation.org/index.p...122-sacramento) and ask her for a letter. The cleanest thing is to buy another handgun, qualify with it, and get it added so she gets a new license.
And my permit didn't even have the restriction. Lemme know if you can't find my post and I'll email it you ya.
Old 11-14-2010, 6:07 PM

Thanks all for the replies. No criminal record of any kind (otherwise my clearance will be gone ASAP). Will submit my DD214.

The application only have space for 3 weapons. Are we limited to just 3 weapons? I would like to list 4 if I could. Thanks all.
Old 11-14-2010, 6:46 PM
Veteran Member

Sacramento (IIRC) limits you to 3 listed weapons. There's no statutory limit, just a local policy. Some Counties limit you to whatever number will physically fit on the License...
Old 11-14-2010, 6:50 PM

Have my appointment with Amber on January 20th. Can't wait to get the process started.
Old 11-14-2010, 7:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb7706 View Post
And my permit didn't even have the restriction. Lemme know if you can't find my post and I'll email it you ya.
Toolbox X posted a scanned copy of his letter at http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...4&postcount=44

Gene also posted a copy of a very clean copy at http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...8&postcount=61

Anybody that has the restriction on their permit and didn't get a letter should just print out a copy and keep it with them, though I still like the idea of buying another handgun and getting it added so you just get a new permit without the restriction. Who wants to carry around a big piece of paper on them?

Last edited by harbinger007; 11-15-2010 at 4:15 PM.. Reason: corrected author of first link - oops, thanks for the correct, jb
Old 11-15-2010, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Toolbox X posted a scanned copy of his letter at http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...4&postcount=44

Gene also posted a copy of a very clean copy at http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...8&postcount=61

Anybody that has the restriction on their permit and didn't get a letter should just print out a copy and keep it with them, though I still like the idea of buying another handgun and getting it added so you just get a new permit without the restriction. Who wants to carry around a big piece of paper on them?
Fixed it for ya.
Old 11-15-2010, 4:24 PM

Had my livescan prints taken on Nov 4 and have no reults as of today.
They should not have found anything in my background, Am I just being
impatient or should I inquire if there is a problem? Where?
Old 11-15-2010, 5:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You're just being impatient. I had my LiveScan done on 10/23, I believe, and got my letter from Amber on 11/9. She told me that she needs to get a certified copy of the report from the DOJ.

Further up in this thread I have the phone number and information on how you can check the status of your LiveScan with the DOJ, though it doesn't give any sort of indication on what the report includes.
Old 11-16-2010, 6:50 AM

Quote:
You're just being impatient. I had my LiveScan done on 10/23, I believe, and got my letter from Amber on 11/9. She told me that she needs to get a certified copy of the report from the DOJ.

Further up in this thread I have the phone number and information on how you can check the status of your LiveScan with the DOJ, though it doesn't give any sort of indication on what the report includes.
Guess I didn't make myself clear. I have been callimg the Livescan number
(916-227-4557) daily since Nov 4 and have been hearing "No applicant
status information available"
I have seen numerous postings from people receiving clearance within 2
or 3 days
Old 11-16-2010, 9:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDN41 View Post
Guess I didn't make myself clear. I have been callimg the Livescan number
(916-227-4557) daily since Nov 4 and have been hearing "No applicant
status information available"
I have seen numerous postings from people receiving clearance within 2
or 3 days
You're not doing it right.

The ATI number should be in the following sequence: 1 LETTER; 3 NUMBERS; 3 LETTERS and 3 NUMBERS.

Semper Fi!

Old 11-17-2010, 7:27 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Renewals of CCW

I posted this in the other "long" thread but thought it should get posted here (maybe I'll copy it into one of my earlier posts so it's not buried so far).

When I completed my paperwork for my new CCW yesterday I spoke to someone renewing his as we waited in the SSD lobby. Two others who came in also were for renewals (a young well-dressed lady and a young guy with baggy jeans and loose athletic shoes). He's a bail bondsman and FFL and I think he said he's had his CCW 6 or 8 years. He told me that we're not allowed to renew our CCW earlier than two weeks before it expires.

I asked Amber about this and she said the two week window is used to synchronize with the DOJ, though I didn't ask what that meant. She said that they were probably going to go to an appointment-only system for completing paperwork for new and renewal CCWs so that the lengthy wait times could be avoided.

Some form needs to be completed for renewal. The guy I spoke with had not filled his paperwork yet and filled it out while I was there. It looked to be two full pages. At least one other person renewing had their paperwork filled out already. Probably would be a good idea to get this form from Amber before going in for renewing. Maybe she would e-mail it to you, if asked.
Old 11-18-2010, 7:28 PM

So I have an appointment to turn in my app coming up, my history is pretty clean except for one incident when I was 15 over a decade ago, I was picked up for curfew and vandalism with damages under $1000. The supervisor who gave me this info in records said there was no arrest, no detention or court, just 6 months informal probation. I remember I was picked up and taken straight home. The application says to put down any arrests. Should I include this in my app to be safe or leave it out? Do you think I will be denied on this basis ?
Old 11-18-2010, 7:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by samonya View Post
So I have an appointment to turn in my app coming up, my history is pretty clean except for one incident when I was 15 over a decade ago, I was picked up for curfew and vandalism with damages under $1000. The supervisor who gave me this info in records said there was no arrest, no detention or court, just 6 months informal probation. I remember I was picked up and taken straight home. The application says to put down any arrests. Should I include this in my app to be safe or leave it out? Do you think I will be denied on this basis ?

Well they know now
Old 11-18-2010, 8:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Help spread the word!

Help spread the word that Sacramento County has gone Shall Issue for CCWs! Print out some copies of the 2 page flyer below and take them in to your Sacramento area gun stores, feed stores, tractor supply places, and anywhere else you think people interested in a CCW may be.

PDF of flyer is Here:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/a...4&d=1290145082

Calguns Foundation logo/artwork used with permission.

Last edited by Lone_Gunman; 11-18-2010 at 8:47 PM..
Old 11-21-2010, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member

Why does livescan cost so much?
$122??

About a 18 months ago I paid for livescan for three people (mom,sister, me) and it was $160 total. Have prices really gone up so much?
Old 11-21-2010, 10:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk556 View Post
Why does livescan cost so much?
$122??

About a 18 months ago I paid for livescan for three people (mom,sister, me) and it was $160 total. Have prices really gone up so much?
I had to be livescanned recently and the cost was something like $20 or so from a private livescan service but the .gov agency that I was being printed for probably paid the remainder.
650-315-2210
http://CoyotePointArmory.com
Old 11-21-2010, 11:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

When I went in for LiveScan last month a lady in front of me paid something like $60-$65. I asked the clerk (?) why I had to pay so much more and he said a more extensive check is done for CCWs. He said a lot of other LiveScans are done for registered nurses, etc. Amber also told me later that she has to get a certified copy of the DOJ clearance before mailing me a letter; I don't know if that's done for the other uses. I think it's just a rip-off by the state. I think it should be $20 unless they can find some real dirt on me.
Old 11-22-2010, 6:21 AM

Livescan vendors can essentially charge what they want for the "rolling fee"- some vendors are listed by DOJ here: http://ag.ca.gov/fingerprints/publications/contact.php
In addition, there are other fees that are mandated by DOJ and FBI depending on what you want the livescan for.
Last year when I had my PC832 livescan done it was $121 (fortunately paid for by my agency).

I was shooting a Glock when shooting a Glock wasn't cool.
Old 11-22-2010, 9:01 AM
Veteran Member

There are certain fees for LiveScan that are set that are MUCH lower than what we pay... However, a "Peace Officer - Firearms" background and CCW License background has to be much more thorough. The LiveScan for an EMT or Paramedic is much lower... The DOJ fee is $32 and the FBI fee is $19 to process their background checks. Throw in a rolling fee of (say) $12 and you're at: $63. When they do those backgrounds, they just look for certain specific offenses, and MOST of them only count against you if you've committed them within the past 5 years. It's possible to be legal to work as an EMT or a Paramedic and be prohibited from firearms ownership and it's possible to be OK to own/purchase a firearm and be denied certification/licensure as an EMT or Paramedic...

Best, however, to NOT have to worry about either...
Old 11-22-2010, 10:56 AM

AFAIK a CORI is a CORI - The EMT/EMT-P livescan is the same as any other livescan that includes CA DOJ, FBI, and subsequent arrest. That is, it shows the same information (arrests, convictions, military convictions, etc.) including juvenile convictions. The only thing SCSO might be getting additionally for an increased fee is maybe a CAIC check, and whatever the certified letter fee cost from DOJ is (EMT/EMT-P's don't require an actual certified letter from DOJ).

I do know that being a livescan operator is a profit center for the operator. The livescan for a CCW could be done anywhere, not just at the Sheriff's Office (EMT/EMT-P's can be done anywhere in the state). The reason that SCSO mandates that you must go to them for the livescan? Money maker for the SCSO, plain and simple.

I was shooting a Glock when shooting a Glock wasn't cool.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:10 PM

Can you list on your application, a firearm that is listed on a different CCW??

I have a family members' (in law enforcement) compact 40 that I love to use but it is not registered to myself and in previous post's, it was mentioned that the gun didn't need to be registered to yourself. I have my own but this would be #3 on my app

Thanks in advance
Old 11-23-2010, 11:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I believe that would be okay.

Although I listed my 3 weapons on my application, I later learned that Amber told others that they could leave that section blank on the application and that you can just bring the list of weapons once you've been approved and have qualified with them at the range. At this point in the process, you've already been approved, passed LiveScan, etc. and there was never any questions asked if the guns listed on my application or range qualification certificate were owned by me.

Best to send Amber an e-mail to get the official word. I've heard folks from some counties who have said that the gun must be owned by you to be on your CCW.
Old 11-26-2010, 1:48 PM

Having in been in LE a few years ago, would my livescan be valid or will I have to redo it?