Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Blades, Bows and Tools
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Blades, Bows and Tools Discussion of non-firearm weapons and camping/survival tools.

Old 01-16-2017, 8:51 PM
Snake..Snake? SNAAAAKKE!!
CGN Contributor

Spyderco Centofante 3
Spyderco Endura Wave (Christmas present from sister)

Old 01-20-2017, 2:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny_land View Post
Spyderco Centofante 3
Spyderco Endura Wave (Christmas present from sister)
When I figured out the Centofante is easy to open/close one-handed and sliced a few things with it, it went to the top of my Spyderco lockback list.

I love that YojimboII though.
Old 01-24-2017, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
When I figured out the Centofante is easy to open/close one-handed and sliced a few things with it, it went to the top of my Spyderco lockback list.

I love that YojimboII though.
The Centofante 3 is imho the best looking of their mid range knives. The handle is really good looking unlike their other FRN knives.

I just picked up a CRKT Hootenanny by Ken Onion, It's an amazing slicer and a great value for $35. Was never a huge fan of CRKT but they've really stepped it up the last few years design wise. In fact they're basically the only company with new knives that interest me.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
Ontario rat 2 is a great carry knife. Also like the rat 1 and ganzo 704. Ganzo is a Chinese copy benchmark. Great knife for under 15 bucks on amazon or ebay.
What's the difference between the Rat 1 and 2? Anything important? Like handle, steel, blade length?
Old 01-25-2017, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgman94 View Post
What's the difference between the Rat 1 and 2? Anything important? Like handle, steel, blade length?
The model 1 has a 3.5" blade and the model 2 has a 3" blade. The model 2 is just a shrunken down rat 1, it does have a smaller handle. Both have Aus-8 blades.

Right now bladehq has rat model 1s with D2 blades for $40
http://www.bladehq.com/item--Ontario...er-Lock--50520
Old 01-25-2017, 12:49 AM

With D2 steel? That's amazing! ...At least it is if I remember correctly. D2 is a high quality steel, right?
Old 01-25-2017, 1:17 AM

Quote:
With D2 steel? That's amazing! ...At least it is if I remember correctly. D2 is a high quality steel, right?
Yeah its a quality tool steel thats more common on fixed blade knives. It'll hold an edge much better than Aus-8, the downside is it's not stainless so you'll have to keep it oiled to prevent rust. Personally I'd take D2 over Aus-8 any day.
Old 01-25-2017, 4:57 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calguns77 View Post
Yeah its a quality tool steel thats more common on fixed blade knives. It'll hold an edge much better than Aus-8, the downside is it's not stainless so you'll have to keep it oiled to prevent rust. Personally I'd take D2 over Aus-8 any day.
D2 is classified as stainless. Just if the stainless steels it is the most rust prone.

D2 is a chore to ReSharpen unless you have one of the newer sharpening stones made for it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262703031006?redirect=mobile

Then a 3k

Then a 8k stone and done
Old 01-25-2017, 8:42 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klingon20 View Post
I bet Benchmade hates these guys.
Old 01-25-2017, 8:52 AM
Veteran Member

The Kershaw OSO sweet meets your needs...

https://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-1830-...+sweet+kershaw

Light, fast, cheap...

Maximum blade to handle ratio.

Buy two.

Discreet, Legal Carry in 37 States...
Old 01-25-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvenSoul View Post
D2 is classified as stainless. Just if the stainless steels it is the most rust prone.

D2 is a chore to ReSharpen unless you have one of the newer sharpening stones made for it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262703031006?redirect=mobile

Then a 3k

Then a 8k stone and done
Not quite. To be classified as stainless a steel needs to have 13% chromium content minimum. D2 has 12% so it misses the cut off.

Imho still a great choice as long as you don't live near seawater or plan to use it as a food knife.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:14 PM

I've been carrying the Kershaw Brawler for several years. Currently on sale at Big 5 for $19.99
http://www.big5sportinggoods.com/sto...k#.WIkU2cvQeM8
Old 01-25-2017, 12:30 PM

It's been over 5 months i wonder if OP ever picked a knife? Lol.
Old 01-25-2017, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calguns77 View Post
Not quite. To be classified as stainless a steel needs to have 13% chromium content minimum. D2 has 12% so it misses the cut off.

Imho still a great choice as long as you don't live near seawater or plan to use it as a food knife.
...Uh oh! (lol). What type of knife would be good for an ad hoc food knife?
Old 01-25-2017, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watevers1 View Post
i've been carrying the kershaw shuffle 2 ever since it came out.
hard to beat at $20, and includes a flat head and bottle opener.

I loved this little knife so much I bought 5 and put them in the cars and tackle box.
Old 01-25-2017, 2:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I use my Mora for food and it works great, it just patinas.

I have the huge Mora in stainless, the All ROUND 5.8 it slices better than most anything and doesn't patina.
Old 01-25-2017, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Imho any knife with a full flat grind will work well for food work. The standard Aus-8 Rat is still a great choice. Occasional food use wont give you rust issues as long as you don't neglect it. The coated blade versions will help eliminate the issue.

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Ontario...-Folder--16435

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Ontario...-Folder--11671

If you dont care about one handed opening or a pocket clip its hard to beat SS Opinels for food use and they're excellent knives for very cheap.

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Opinel-...s-Steel--27870
Old 01-26-2017, 2:38 AM

That Opinel looks really, really nice. I am enamored by it...Still, I ave some kind of attraction to the Ontario too. They're too good....I need to check out the Mora knife too, that the other poster mentioned.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:02 AM

What is your use case? Do you want to look tacticool with a tanto armor piercing tip, or are you and old school Barlow type? How long a blade do you want, what shape and how will you use it?

I carry a Kershaw Blur, an Opinel or an old Spyderco when I don't have my Leatherman Wave on me. It will depend on the use case and what I grabbed when I got up. How it fits in your hand and in your pocket will matter a lot, too.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:23 PM

Moras are great knives. They're fixed blades though, so they're not really gonna work for edc unless you're able/willing to open carry. Concealed carry of fixed blades is a felony in CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperXT View Post
I carry a Kershaw Blur, an Opinel or an old Spyderco when I don't have my Leatherman Wave on me. It will depend on the use case and what I grabbed when I got up. How it fits in your hand and in your pocket will matter a lot, too.
I love multitools, i just never need the pliers from a leatherman style tool. I do use scissors all the time and the new victorinox pioneer x with scissors will probably always be a part of my edc. I carried a super tinker a ton the last 5yrs but they're chunky, while the alox SAKs are a breeze to carry.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/VN0...les-engravable
Old 01-26-2017, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member

I know this is an old thread but budget folders are a thing near and dear to my heart:

Kershaw Shuffle II: it's been mentioned twice in this thread and for good reason. It's thin, light, but with a decent sized blade, and dirt stinkin' cheap. The integrated bottle opener and flathead driver is surprisingly handy as well. I have a ton of folders and I probably carry this more consistently than any of them. The only downside is that on mine, the pocket clip screws are starting to loosen.

CRKT M16 Series - Loooove the blade shape on this bad mama-jamma. Super small and easy to carry, very easy flipper deployment. My own qualm is that stupid safety CRKT uses! I have a CRKT Crawford/Kasper somewhere that I took apart and purposefully put the safety in backward so it wouldn't be so hard to close one-handed. I will probably do the same eventually with the M16.

Good Segway into the CRKT Crawford/Kasper here. Under 25 bucks, decent materials (other than the budget steel which is personally a non-issue). Has a big strong pocket clip so it goes to work with me a lot. Again, the only downside really being the safety feature on the liner lock.

HK by Benchmade Unsub. - Terrible name for a knife, but not a terrible knife at all. This model along with two others, the Espionage and the Flak are Big 5 Sporting Goods exclusive models that typically go on sale for under 20 bucks on a regular basis. (in fact I just checked and both the Esp and the Flak are on sale this week). All are assisted opening with the Unsub and the Flak having thumb/finger holes, and the Espionage being an assisted flipper.

The only qualms I have with this line of knives is that out of the box, the spring is SUPER STIFF. I had to open and close my Unsub many, many times before it was comfortable to open. My thumb was mighty sore.

There are Chinese made but with a little Benchmade flair and QC added. I will likely get the Espionage and Flak at some, probably soon because IIRC Benchmade is no longer producing the HK line as of last year, so when they're gone, they're gone for good.

Kershaw Clash - Also a great assisted folder. Of all the assisted knives I've owned, I appreciate Kershaw's SpeedSafe system the most. It's easy to open but smooth. The Clash can be had for under 30 bucks on amazon any day of the week. I love plain edge drop points and this one has a great shape with a slightly recurved edge. Great EDC knife all around. The only negative is the slightly recurve to the blade comes with a little learning curve for sharpening if you aren't familiar with the process (no pun intended).

I swear I could write a small book on the budget knives I've owned, both good and bad so I'll stop there.... Now I'm getting itchy to go by those HKs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorris7556 View Post
They teach you secret stuff I can't mention on line.
Old 01-26-2017, 2:47 PM

Location: I am located in PA , so forgive me if I am not current on all the CA ways of doing things....

I like easy to carry knives for everyday use.
ThumperXT , what is the user name about.
I sport an '83 XT550 , that'll out run a police cruiser...............
Old 01-26-2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperXT View Post
What is your use case? Do you want to look tacticool with a tanto armor piercing tip, or are you and old school Barlow type? How long a blade do you want, what shape and how will you use it?

If you're referring to me, my use case is general. I'd like a handy knife to cut boxes, rope, or cut food if I wish. Just something reliable and useful for any normal thing I could expect. I could also use it as an impromptu fighting knife (I am thinking about the Ontario Rat while writing this), although I will probably seek a fuller sized knife for such an application like a KA-BAR 1212.

And I don't particularly fall in line with tacticool or old school tastes either. I am in between, and things like the Rat and Spyderco in my view fall into the falf-way point of that. Hope my information is useful to you.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:36 PM

Spyderco Cat

I haven't found I need much larger than that and it fits in the little pocket on jeans very well. Legal pretty much everywhere in CA.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SP-C129GP.jpg (19.6 KB, 40 views)
Old 01-26-2017, 10:56 PM

The cat is a good choice. The dragonfly2 is another spyderco in that size range that is a great choice and even lighter with the frn handles. The endura4 and delica4 (my personal favorite) are both classics.

But for people looking for budget blades its hard to beat the Byrd series which are chinese versions of their most popular blades with 8cr13mov steel and added finger choils.

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Byrd-Robin-2-Folding--7748
http://www.bladehq.com/item--Byrd-Me...rk-2-FRN--6825
http://www.bladehq.com/item--Byrd-Ca...-Folding--7361
Old 02-01-2017, 2:21 AM
Still in The Game
CGN Contributor

Another vote for the Ontario Rat. Amazing value.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:00 AM

Check out the Ka-Bar Dozier I have one on order, it would be my second one since I somehow lost my first one. Great edc knife, good for when your out in public and don't necessarily need a tactical knife. Oh and under $20.
Old 02-08-2017, 9:18 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPimping View Post
Another vote for the Ontario Rat. Amazing value.
Always wanted to try one, but never have. Also the UtiliTac's... too many knives.
Old 02-17-2017, 7:31 AM

I used to be a knife snob. I had several spyderco's and benchmade''s. Then I learned that I just beat the chit out of them or lost them as easily as cheap knifes. So, I've bought a bunch of kershaws when they're on sale at Big 5.

Today's Big 5 ad has the Clash and the Oso sweet on sale for $18. I have a dozen or so of these cheap Kershaw''s and they fit my needs and...I don't worry if I beat them up or lose them.

My favorites are the Volt and the Clash.
Old 03-31-2017, 5:17 PM
Still in The Game
CGN Contributor

Spyderco BYRD line is great. Me to Spyderco standards in China, but the designs are exactly like the Spyderco design and that knives are very good quality