Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 01-17-2020, 8:05 PM

Exclamation Oakland PD process

hello all In in need of some help, I'm currently in the background process of the oakland pd hiring process I am just a little excited and the wait is killing me. can any fellow officers help me understand the process as I'm still awaiting to be assigned a BI but done all the following in my timeline here. I'm apart of the 185A group.

Was notified via email I passed my oral that took place 12/3. I was told on 12/6 that I place 30 on the list.
-9/18 submitted application and test scores (NTN)
-10/22 notified I was to move forward.
-10/29 invited to take PAT
-11/16 took PAT (passed)
-11/22 invited to oral board
-12/1 oral board work shop
-12/3 oral board interview.
-12/6 notified I passed placed 30.
-12/11 notified that I will move forward to background investigation
-12/17 started background investigation and all documents and pics taken at the department
-12/22 OPD checked my credit report. ( was notified by my account on MYFICO.COM that someone pulled my credit report )
-1/3 notified for my Polygraph
-1/4 went to OPD to have a LIVESCAN done for my background check.
-1/10 went in to take my polygraph ( results pending )
-1/10 livescan background was completed ( you can check on then CADOJ website and enter the ATI number they put down on the pink slip.) ( FBI completed 1/4, CADOJ completed 1/9, ATF completed 1/10) I currently have a FFL license from the ATF and a high capacity magazine permit and CFD number ( California firearm dealer number ) from the CADOJ, so I am not sure if this helped pushed my back ground through.

I'm told that the next academy will be in June. however do I assume I should wait for keep apply to other departments?

Mikes Tacticals In Tracy
07 FFL
408-406-7854
ammo/firearms/manufacturing
INQUIRYS EMAIL
CUSTOMERSERVICE@MIKES-TACTICALS.COM
FB : www.facebook.com/mikestactical
WEB:www.mikes-tacticals.com
Old 01-17-2020, 8:34 PM

If you are in background investigation stage, most likely an investigator was assigned.

When I applied, my process took almost a year. If you are passing all the process, most likely you will be in the next academy. I would not apply for another agency at this stage.
Old 01-17-2020, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro911 View Post
If you are in background investigation stage, most likely an investigator was assigned.

When I applied, my process took almost a year. If you are passing all the process, most likely you will be in the next academy. I would not apply for another agency at this stage.
Thank you.
I ask this because when I did my poly in Martinez the lady asked if I was assigned a BI yet I said no since I haven’t heard from anyone. And yet I don’t k ow if I passed my poly.

How long does it typically take to hear about your poly?

Mikes Tacticals In Tracy
07 FFL
408-406-7854
INQUIRYS EMAIL
Old 01-18-2020, 7:09 AM

If you are in process with other departments, keep going forward with all. Since you are in backgrounds, I’d suggest not applying to a new department.

Total hiring times vary from dept to dept depending on many factors. Typical process times are 6-12 months especially for recruits as opposed to laterals.

You hearing about your poly depends on the internal mechanisms of that dept. The dept probably knows the next day. If they are racing an academy start date, you may hear quicker but next academy 4 months out is not a rush.
Old 01-18-2020, 7:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixicus View Post
If you are in process with other departments, keep going forward with all. Since you are in backgrounds, I’d suggest not applying to a new department.

Total hiring times vary from dept to dept depending on many factors. Typical process times are 6-12 months especially for recruits as opposed to laterals.

You hearing about your poly depends on the internal mechanisms of that dept. The dept probably knows the next day. If they are racing an academy start date, you may hear quicker but next academy 4 months out is not a rush.
Thank you. I appreciate the info. My excitement only get to me since I been seeing fast turn around with all the test I been doing and now with this it’s a waiting game I only applied with 3 Dept including Oakland but I’m only in the background stages with OPD

Mikes Tacticals In Tracy
07 FFL
408-406-7854
INQUIRYS EMAIL
Old 01-18-2020, 4:43 PM

Backgrounds take a while; typically a year like others have a said.

What you have to remember is the BI is currently vetting you, all of your references, and your references’ references. You’ll list x number of personal, references, x number of professional references, those references usually list people you mutually know, they check all of your employers, residences, neighbors, etc., and that’s just a small percentage of what they do. All of those people have to get back to the BI too so they can be waiting around too.

Have as much patience as possible.
Old 01-18-2020, 5:18 PM

IMO, if Oakland is the ONLY LE agency you'd ever consider working for, then just apply for Oakland. If, however, you'd be happy just working in LE and particular agency doesn't matter that much, then I'd recommend that you don't put all your eggs in one basket - i.e. go ahead and apply for a few departments at the same time...
Old 01-18-2020, 5:48 PM

thank you all for all the information.

Mikes Tacticals In Tracy
07 FFL
408-406-7854
INQUIRYS EMAIL
Old 01-18-2020, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esy View Post
Backgrounds take a while; typically a year like others have a said.

What you have to remember is the BI is currently vetting you, all of your references, and your references’ references. You’ll list x number of personal, references, x number of professional references, those references usually list people you mutually know, they check all of your employers, residences, neighbors, etc., and that’s just a small percentage of what they do. All of those people have to get back to the BI too so they can be waiting around too.

Have as much patience as possible.
I think you mean the process takes approx. a year not the background. If they have not offered you a spot and there are other depts. that you would work for than I would apply to those as well. Any employer worth working for would understand you applying elsewhere. I went through the whole process minus the background. At that time it seemed like a huge number of applicants went through the process. If they have not committed to you. . .
Old 01-19-2020, 7:11 AM

If you decide to apply elsewhere or continue with other applications, you will need to articulate your reasoning in any subsequent interviews. Sometimes if an agency sees that you are moving forward elsewhere, they will pick up the pace with backgrounds. On the flipside, an agency may decide not to move forward with you. It is a crapshoot, but you have to keep in mind that until you get an offer, you don't have a job.

Last edited by Just-in; 01-19-2020 at 7:14 AM..
Old 01-19-2020, 9:53 AM

I agree that you shouldn't let your application stop you from applying to other agencies, especially right now when everyone is fighting for bodies.

Just curious. Are you set on OPD and if you are was wondering why?
Old 01-19-2020, 11:27 AM

Have you seen the documentary on Oakland PD on Netflix? Not sure if its stlll on there. But after being on the job for approximately 14 years, Oakland PD is one of the last agencies I'd be willing to work for.
Old 01-19-2020, 2:35 PM

Make sure to attend as many of the workshops as possible. OPD will factor your attendance in to their hiring decision.
Old 01-19-2020, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedVines View Post
I agree that you shouldn't let your application stop you from applying to other agencies, especially right now when everyone is fighting for bodies.

Just curious. Are you set on OPD and if you are was wondering why?
I applied to OPD, SF, and Hayward. I currently have a great career but I want some change in my life and law Enforcement has always been in my future. but I only wanted to concentrate on one dept at a time since I cant just drop everything for all the events and workshops and testing. if I did that for a lot of departments I can chance losing my job from attendance, so doing one at a time is easier to manage.

OPD is my pick at the moment since Im currently the furthest in the process. that is why I haven't applied elsewhere .

Mikes Tacticals In Tracy
07 FFL
408-406-7854
INQUIRYS EMAIL
Old 01-19-2020, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc0311 View Post
Have you seen the documentary on Oakland PD on Netflix? Not sure if its stlll on there. But after being on the job for approximately 14 years, Oakland PD is one of the last agencies I'd be willing to work for.
yes I have its called "THE FORCE" amazing documentary and more reason I'm excited to move this far in the process.

Mikes Tacticals In Tracy
07 FFL
408-406-7854
INQUIRYS EMAIL
Old 01-19-2020, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasongbmw View Post
Make sure to attend as many of the workshops as possible. OPD will factor your attendance in to their hiring decision.
so far there was only 2 the PAT practice test and the oral board workshop.

I'm passed all that and now just waiting since I took my poly on 1/10

Mikes Tacticals In Tracy
07 FFL
408-406-7854
INQUIRYS EMAIL
Old 01-21-2020, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaaka View Post
I applied to OPD, SF, and Hayward. I currently have a great career but I want some change in my life and law Enforcement has always been in my future. but I only wanted to concentrate on one dept at a time since I cant just drop everything for all the events and workshops and testing. if I did that for a lot of departments I can chance losing my job from attendance, so doing one at a time is easier to manage.

OPD is my pick at the moment since Im currently the furthest in the process. that is why I haven't applied elsewhere .
Don't let the fact that you're furthest in the process dictate which department you go to. I'd say of the three agencies you applied for Hayward would be the best choice. They have a great chief there right now. If you're interested in true law enforcement OPD and SFPD are not the right agencies to go to.
Old 01-21-2020, 8:58 PM
Veteran Member

Good luck, OP. Oakland PD is going to be a hard place to work right now if that is where you wind up; find a good crew to fit in with and stay safe.
Stay classy, CGF and Calguns.
Old 01-22-2020, 4:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedVines View Post
Don't let the fact that you're furthest in the process dictate which department you go to. I'd say of the three agencies you applied for Hayward would be the best choice. They have a great chief there right now. If you're interested in true law enforcement OPD and SFPD are not the right agencies to go to.
thank you.
your right as well I have been told don't wait on one department but I will take the advice and try with other departments as this process continues

Mikes Tacticals In Tracy
07 FFL
408-406-7854
INQUIRYS EMAIL
Old 01-22-2020, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR_rider View Post
Good luck, OP. Oakland PD is going to be a hard place to work right now if that is where you wind up; find a good crew to fit in with and stay safe.
thank you, will do

Mikes Tacticals In Tracy
07 FFL
408-406-7854
INQUIRYS EMAIL
Old 02-19-2020, 6:56 PM

in backgrounds and was notified to attend the PT workshops. yessssss

Mikes Tacticals In Tracy
07 FFL
408-406-7854
INQUIRYS EMAIL
Old 02-20-2020, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaaka View Post
in backgrounds and was notified to attend the PT workshops. yessssss
nice. they will do a PT assessment consisting of: as many push-ups, pull ups, and sit-ups in 1 minute along with a timed 1.5 mile run. its graded on overall how well you did. they also do the BEEP test but I believe that's only during academy IIRC
Old 02-20-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockTalk9 View Post
nice. they will do a PT assessment consisting of: as many push-ups, pull ups, and sit-ups in 1 minute along with a timed 1.5 mile run. its graded on overall how well you did. they also do the BEEP test but I believe that's only during academy IIRC
Thanks.
Did my first PT workshop on Sunday 2/16/2020. Now I have to go to the next one 2/23/2020 it was fairly easy. But I know they want improvement each time.

What is a BEEP test?

Mikes Tacticals In Tracy
07 FFL
408-406-7854
INQUIRYS EMAIL
Old 02-20-2020, 10:08 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Any feedback on taking Spanish at a community college night class to increase the odds on getting hired?

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 02-29-2020, 7:44 PM

@hermosabeach
I don’t know of anything on paper that says being bilingual earns you any official preference, but it is definitely an asset in Oakland

To the both of you, take note of what’s going on at the agency as of late. Talk to some officers who aren’t in recruiting about morale, politics, policy, federal oversight, and other issues that are driving attrition. Know what you’re getting into. Keep your options open, gents. Good luck.
Old 03-03-2020, 4:24 AM

I applied for OPD on April 7th 2019 and got assigned a BI around Nov 19th.
Your timeline of filing paperwork and going through backgrounds and live scan and polygraph are similar to mine. Only difference is when i applied, i applied for SFPD as well. SFPD and OPD offered me the position at the same time so i picked SFPD.

Just so you're aware of how long the process is.
Old 03-03-2020, 6:44 AM

thank you. this helps a lot with the information you just gave.

Mikes Tacticals In Tracy
07 FFL
408-406-7854
INQUIRYS EMAIL
Old 03-03-2020, 7:13 PM

No worries, PM me know if you have any more questions.

When you get to OPD backgrounds, they will invite you to participate in the PAT workshop.

I recommend doing them every time its offered.
It was 2 times a month on weekends usually. That way you'll meet other potential recruits and get to know some of the staff members.

its a 1.5mile run, followed by push ups and sit ups.