Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-26-2022, 8:50 PM
hermosabeach's Avatar
hermosabeach hermosabeach is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: South Bay of Los Angeles
Posts: 17,822
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Exclamation App to find Public Land. OnX

https://news.yahoo.com/public-land-p...150629280.html

Interesting read on the ap and a lawsuit over trespassing as land owners won't grant access to land locked public land.

I guess they don't have easements.

Snip

The app is called OnX. Its basic functionality is simple: OnX shows you where you are in real time, using a blue dot exactly the same as the one on Google Maps.

Property data is often inaccurate and outdated, and early in the development of OnX, Siegfried found himself asking, “Why is there no nationwide picture of land ownership, of public and private property boundaries, of who owns what?”

This was the “game changer,” he has said. By collating state and county data and putting it on a microchip
__________________
Rule 1- ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-26-2022, 10:39 PM
EsotericEpsilon's Avatar
EsotericEpsilon EsotericEpsilon is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 177
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

The app itself does not encourage "trespassing" as all it does is give information to the user.
That being said, it's a jerk move when people landlock areas and claim them as their own. There are a few blm spots in socal where that has happened.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-26-2022, 11:03 PM
hermosabeach's Avatar
hermosabeach hermosabeach is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: South Bay of Los Angeles
Posts: 17,822
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

I don't know but it would seem like public easement should be recorded or created.
__________________
Rule 1- ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-27-2022, 11:42 AM
NoNOS67's Avatar
NoNOS67 NoNOS67 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,196
iTrader: 25 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
I don't know but it would seem like public easement should be recorded or created.
Agreed. Even when not landlocked, it's incredible how many landowners think they "own" public land adjacent to their property. It gets worse when access is difficult or not well known. I've had a few tense moments where they have tried to run me off over the years.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-30-2022, 12:10 PM
audiophil2 audiophil2 is offline
Senior Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Surprise
Posts: 8,629
iTrader: 244 / 100%
Default

I own property that backs up to landlocked public land. My 10 acres back to almost 1000. There is only utility easements between lots surrounding the public land and there are no utilities so no one can use them. Hunters still trespass and leave garbage. We clean it up. It is almost pristine. Yet alongside the public roads going to my land there is a lot of dumping. Our private properties protect the 1000 acres from dumpers and keep the wildlife and plants healthy. There are caves on that land almost no one knows about.
__________________

PHOENIX, AZ MIDDLEMAN TRANSFER DEALER

CLOSING DOWN FOR RETIREMENT.
NOT ACCEPTING ANY NEW WORK.

IF YOU HAVE AN ITEM IN MY POSSESSION PLEASE SEND 1 PM ONLY. NO EMAILS OR PHONE CALLS. FAILURE TO FOLLOW THIS STRICT RULE WILL BUMP YOU TO THE VERY END OF ANY WORK I AM DOING. IF I DO NOT RESPOND WITHIN 7 DAYS YOU MAY PM AGAIN BUT I AM TRYING TO HAVE A CONTROLLED METHOD OF FINISHING ALL MY WORK.

Private 10 acre range rentals
[/URL]
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-30-2022, 1:57 PM
Steve45-70's Avatar
Steve45-70 Steve45-70 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 151
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Yeah I grew up in the Northeast part of California and things have gotten really bad as far as access the last 30 years or so. Seems like everyone has bought their 5-20 acres of paradise and took to blocking roads that we have used for years to access public property. We should of forced the easements to stay open but it was always a little at a time. Lots of landlocked property. I also grew up around and working for ranchers. It is amazing how many think that because they have a BLM or Forest Service permit to run cattle they own the property. Had several heated arguments over the years.

I know the public sucks sometimes but it is still the publics property. They should be allowed to use it and if there was an easement being used it should stay open. Also really easy to solve the checkerboarding problem and that is to allow access at the corners.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-02-2022, 3:09 PM
audiophil2 audiophil2 is offline
Senior Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Surprise
Posts: 8,629
iTrader: 244 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve45-70 View Post
Yeah I grew up in the Northeast part of California and things have gotten really bad as far as access the last 30 years or so. Seems like everyone has bought their 5-20 acres of paradise and took to blocking roads that we have used for years to access public property. We should of forced the easements to stay open but it was always a little at a time. Lots of landlocked property. I also grew up around and working for ranchers. It is amazing how many think that because they have a BLM or Forest Service permit to run cattle they own the property. Had several heated arguments over the years.

I know the public sucks sometimes but it is still the publics property. They should be allowed to use it and if there was an easement being used it should stay open. Also really easy to solve the checkerboarding problem and that is to allow access at the corners.
I'd be all for it but the public are scum. The 1% ruin it for everyone else. My neighbor had his gate pulled off so the public could drive through to access a separate blm area north of us. There is no legal way to access it along the road because the terrain drops off to a cliff half a mile before the blm wire. So about 3 or 4 private properties are trespassed by sxs to access a gate that is on the utility easement between the blm and our northernmost neighbor.

They trashed his cabin, his cars, everything in his land while he was not using it the last 20 years. I used to go on his land to explore but never harmed it. After I met him he gave me access to his locks. He installed very heavy duty steel fences and gates in the flat spots along his frontage and left the impassible spots just wire. Time.will tell if the public cuts his locks or rips his gates down again.

I had game cams on my gun range. I have video of brass scrapers taking the brass. No big deal. I have over $1000 in steel targets all over the land. It had no fence it gate and we just hoped no one would steel the targets. The public put beer bottles on our scrap pile of doors and left us with glass all over. The public would rather shoot glass at 10 ft than targets over a 5 acre course. We put up wire and a gate and have not had any issues.

Sorry. I don't want public accessing our landlocked trust land. It is clean. They don't respect private land so they will destroy that patch of public land.

It can be seen on the desert road that leads to the city landfill. $30 minimum to dump so there is construction material and mattresses along the road and next to the landfill for miles.

The other issue is we have 70 combined acres of private gun range. We shoot toward the public land as it is a huge mountain so perfect backstop. We have smaller hills as primary backstops on our land but if there is a stray it goes into the mountain. We are legally allowed to shootnon our land and it is well known the sxs owners intentionally ride in the fire area and then call police to complain. We've had blm area shut down due to sxs people getting shot by strays when they had millions of acres to ride with no shooters around. We can keep our bullets inside our land but it won't stop the public from lying that we are shooting at them. I've had guys walking on that public land and then run onto my land and tell me to stop shooting because they are out hiking. I tell them they had to trespass to get on that trust land and if my stray hits them it is not my fault. I then tell them they are trespassing on my land and to leave via the road and not trespass back onto my neighbors land to get back. One guy even told me it was all public land. I asked him to show.me that on the assessor maps and laughed at him. Another guy said he assumed empty private land was ok to walk on. I told him there are private property signs in 2 languages on all 4 sides. The public lies when they get caught.
__________________

PHOENIX, AZ MIDDLEMAN TRANSFER DEALER

CLOSING DOWN FOR RETIREMENT.
NOT ACCEPTING ANY NEW WORK.

IF YOU HAVE AN ITEM IN MY POSSESSION PLEASE SEND 1 PM ONLY. NO EMAILS OR PHONE CALLS. FAILURE TO FOLLOW THIS STRICT RULE WILL BUMP YOU TO THE VERY END OF ANY WORK I AM DOING. IF I DO NOT RESPOND WITHIN 7 DAYS YOU MAY PM AGAIN BUT I AM TRYING TO HAVE A CONTROLLED METHOD OF FINISHING ALL MY WORK.

Private 10 acre range rentals
[/URL]
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-05-2022, 8:29 AM
sfpcservice's Avatar
sfpcservice sfpcservice is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Suisun City
Posts: 1,878
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

The property lines in OnX can be off by hundreds of feet. They are based on county GIS which can also be very inaccurate. The main benefit of OnX is it gives you the tax address of the property owner so you can contact them for permission to use private land.

I own a parcel that is shown both in OnX and county GIS where one of the property lines intersects the next parcel at the wrong corner... The actual markers on the ground done by a surveyor and the PLSS are much different and are the real lines.
__________________
http://theresedoksheim.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/gridlock.jpg


John 14:6
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-13-2022, 4:54 PM
roostersgt roostersgt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: 5200'
Posts: 1,922
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfpcservice View Post
The property lines in OnX can be off by hundreds of feet. They are based on county GIS which can also be very inaccurate. The main benefit of OnX is it gives you the tax address of the property owner so you can contact them for permission to use private land.

I own a parcel that is shown both in OnX and county GIS where one of the property lines intersects the next parcel at the wrong corner... The actual markers on the ground done by a surveyor and the PLSS are much different and are the real lines.
We don't use it to contact the private property owners for permission. I don't know anyone in our fairly large group who does. We primarily use it to make sure we're on legal ground. Driving for miles down roads that have barbed wire and gates on both sides without other markings necessitates using such an app. Seems every other mile you're either passing through public, or unmarked private property. It all looks the same.

Ranchers can lease thousands of acres from the state and federal government, can fence it off, but can't keep anyone from trespassing during hunting season. The only places on the leased land you can't hunt is the cultivated land,,,ie the green alfalfa. If you hunt Wyoming, where 80%+ of the state is public land backing up and divided by private property, you need the app. DFG and the Sheriff rely 100% on the app when there is a dispute. I honestly can't see the app being 100s of feet off. My experience using it since it came around is its probably within a foot or so. You can test this by following fence lines, hillsides, creeks and rivers on known private property.

Im not saying in your case it isn't wrong, just saying that the people who would arrest you, give you a court date and take your ****, rely on it where I hunt.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-13-2022, 4:58 PM
clb's Avatar
clb clb is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Nannyfornia
Posts: 311
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Default

I use gaia, that said...
If you cannot read a map, stay ho.e please.
__________________
The lunatics ARE running the asylum.
Screw fotofukkit
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-13-2022, 7:01 PM
Steve45-70's Avatar
Steve45-70 Steve45-70 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 151
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostersgt View Post
We don't use it to contact the private property owners for permission. I don't know anyone in our fairly large group who does. We primarily use it to make sure we're on legal ground. Driving for miles down roads that have barbed wire and gates on both sides without other markings necessitates using such an app. Seems every other mile you're either passing through public, or unmarked private property. It all looks the same.

Ranchers can lease thousands of acres from the state and federal government, can fence it off, but can't keep anyone from trespassing during hunting season. The only places on the leased land you can't hunt is the cultivated land,,,ie the green alfalfa. If you hunt Wyoming, where 80%+ of the state is public land backing up and divided by private property, you need the app. DFG and the Sheriff rely 100% on the app when there is a dispute. I honestly can't see the app being 100s of feet off. My experience using it since it came around is its probably within a foot or so. You can test this by following fence lines, hillsides, creeks and rivers on known private property.

Im not saying in your case it isn't wrong, just saying that the people who would arrest you, give you a court date and take your ****, rely on it where I hunt.
I recently sold a place up in North Eastern California and it is off about 50-75' there. Showed my pump house on the neighbors property and me owning across the county road. Not a big deal as everyone has fences. I agree it is very useful when if comes to knowing where you are and what is public.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 5:24 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2021, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.



Seams2SewBySusy