Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim Air rifles and pistols, AirSoft and Mil Sim Discussion

Old 02-17-2020, 2:54 AM

Question is it part of the ammo law

that the purchase of air gun pellets is the same as firearm ammo?

that is: background check, no internet/mail purchasing or transporting in from out of state.

i am a legend in my own mind...

we are told not to judge muslims by what a few do...yet, the NRA membership and firearms owners are ALL considered as radical...

"The second amendment ain't about your deer rifle..."
Old 02-17-2020, 2:59 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

No. Where did that FUD come from.?
Old 02-17-2020, 7:57 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
No. Where did that FUD come from.?
This being Kalifornia, I'd hold off on calling it 100% FUD, given that they treat airguns the same as actual firearms. Ammunition is defined as:

Quote:
PC 30352: ammunition: includes , but is not limited to, any bullet, cartridge, magazine, clip, speed loader, autoloader, or projectile capable of being fired from a firearm with a deadly consequence.
It's conceivable that you could kill someone with a projectile from an airgun.
It was not a threat. It was an exaggerated response to an uncompromising stance. I was taught never to make a threat unless you are prepared to carry it out and I am not a fan of carrying anything. Even watching other people carrying things makes me uncomfortable. Mainly because of the possibility they may ask me to help.
Old 02-17-2020, 9:31 AM
Calguns Addict

Here is the definition of ammunition from the penal code.

16150. (a) As used in this part, except in subdivision (a) of Section 30305 and in Section 30306, “ammunition” means one or more loaded cartridges consisting of a primed case, propellant, and with one or more projectiles. “Ammunition” does not include blanks.
(b) As used in subdivision (a) of Section 30305 and in Section 30306, “ammunition” includes, but is not limited to, any bullet, cartridge, magazine, clip, speed loader, autoloader, or projectile capable of being fired from a firearm with a deadly consequence. “Ammunition” does not include blanks.
(c) This section shall remain in effect only until July 1, 2020, and as of that date is repealed.

When this goes out in July it is replaced by a new definition that says the exact same thing.
Old 02-17-2020, 9:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-J View Post
This being Kalifornia, I'd hold off on calling it 100% FUD, given that they treat airguns the same as actual firearms.
Or maybe you yourself are spreading Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt? An airgun is not legally a firearm in California. Under PC16520, a "“firearm” means a device, designed to be used as a weapon, from which is expelled through a barrel, a projectile by the force of an explosion or other form of combustion." An airgun uses air, not an explosion or other form of combustion.
Old 02-17-2020, 9:53 AM

Exclamation thanks for the replies

I just called big 5 and spoke to the firearms department.

air gun pellets are NOT included.

i am a legend in my own mind...

we are told not to judge muslims by what a few do...yet, the NRA membership and firearms owners are ALL considered as radical...

"The second amendment ain't about your deer rifle..."
Old 02-17-2020, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdawg View Post
Or maybe you yourself are spreading Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt? An airgun is not legally a firearm in California. Under PC16520, a "“firearm” means a device, designed to be used as a weapon, from which is expelled through a barrel, a projectile by the force of an explosion or other form of combustion." An airgun uses air, not an explosion or other form of combustion.
Yeah, no. I was not spreading FUD, I was merely cautioning against the casual dismissal of a question on the matter. And given our state's propensity for treating anything that even looks like a gun as a gun, caution is wise. Apparently "NPG" or "non-powder guns" is another huge thing for the anti-gunners to push for legislation and control of. I spent 20 minutes down that rabbit hole and never knew there was that much discussion and actual laws about freaking toys.
It was not a threat. It was an exaggerated response to an uncompromising stance. I was taught never to make a threat unless you are prepared to carry it out and I am not a fan of carrying anything. Even watching other people carrying things makes me uncomfortable. Mainly because of the possibility they may ask me to help.
Old 02-17-2020, 2:48 PM

Well, Walmart certainly didn't treat it as such when they sold me .22 airgun pellets last week.
Old 02-17-2020, 7:17 PM

I have an email from the Fish and Game Department General Supervisor that when asked about hunting with an air rifle;
"Air guns are not firearms and are therefore exempt from the lead laws." (Paraphrasing, but accurately.)
Old 02-18-2020, 9:52 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
This being Kalifornia, I'd hold off on calling it 100% FUD, given that they treat airguns the same as actual firearms. Ammunition is defined as:

Currently, Airguns are not considered to be Firearms, either by Kalifornistan or the Feds. With more and more Big Bore Air Rifles in calibers up to .50 being offered, I can see Javier Becerra pissing himself and enacting restrictions.
Civil War 2.0 - If it comes to pass, the America-hating Leftists will have brought it upon themselves. I value Freedom more than their sorry lives and the form of Governance they espouse, which offers no Freedom and complete servitude to the State.
Quote:
"We have four boxes with which to defend our Freedoms: the Soap box, the Ballot box, the Jury box, and the Cartridge box" - Ed Howdershelt
Old 02-18-2020, 6:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Quote:
PC 30352: ammunition: includes , but is not limited to, any bullet, cartridge, magazine, clip, speed loader, autoloader, or projectile capable of being fired from a firearm with a deadly consequence.
Where in CA PEN 30352 do you see that?
Quote:
It’s conceivable that you could kill someone with a slingshot (see, “David v. Goliath”), that doesn’t mean that rocks are controlled by the ammo laws.
Old 02-18-2020, 6:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartHog View Post
Currently, Airguns are not considered to be Firearms, either by Kalifornistan or the Feds. With more and more Big Bore Air Rifles in calibers up to .50 being offered, I can see Javier Becerra pissing himself and enacting restrictions.
The Attorney General can’t “enact” restrictions. That’s the Legislature's job. It would be interesting to hear the argument that an airgun is a firearm when there is no “fire”.
Old 02-18-2020, 6:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
This being Kalifornia, I'd hold off on calling it 100% FUD, given that they treat airguns the same as actual firearms.
Attachment 874205

Last edited by Mayor McRifle; 03-23-2020 at 5:58 PM..
Old 02-18-2020, 7:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
The Attorney General can’t “enact” restrictions. That’s the Legislature's job. It would be interesting to hear the argument that an airgun is a firearm when there is no “fire”.
You know what I meant - nothing is safe from the ban it all mentality of the Libtards.
Civil War 2.0 - If it comes to pass, the America-hating Leftists will have brought it upon themselves. I value Freedom more than their sorry lives and the form of Governance they espouse, which offers no Freedom and complete servitude to the State.
Quote:
"We have four boxes with which to defend our Freedoms: the Soap box, the Ballot box, the Jury box, and the Cartridge box" - Ed Howdershelt
Old 02-18-2020, 8:53 PM

I just got a few different tins of pellets on my doorstep from AirgunDepot. Pellet gun came from Midway, but that was in 2018. So no, they are not regulated the same.

Another fun fact, lead pellets are exempt from the lead ammo hunting ban because they are not considered a firearm: https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Hunting/Nonlead-Ammunition and you can use a pellet gun to bag a turkey (headshot)
Old 02-29-2020, 1:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
Where in CA PEN 30352 do you see that?
It’s conceivable that you could kill someone with a slingshot (see, “David v. Goliath”), that doesn’t mean that rocks are controlled by the ammo laws.
Technically David Killed the Giant Goliath with a Shepard's Sling,,, Not a "Slingshot" as they didn't have rubber bands back then. He also used a Golf Ball sized rock and got good at it because when you are herding Goats you have alot of time on your hands to practice. And a Sling requires literally years of practice to become proficient with.

I have played with them in the past and could never even get the rock to go in the general direction of the target. Like within 90 degrees of it. Not once ever!

What he did was quite a feat!

On another note: I watched a show on the History Channel about Giants. All supposedly sired from Alien DNA. Goliath was around 9 feet tall. They showed the skeleton of a guy found in China that was 19 feet tall!!!

Now that is one big SOA! (Son of an Alien!) His Forehead was also bashed in by a big rock, so it appears that the sling was the goto weapon of choice for dealing with Big MOFO's .

Randy
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 02-29-2020 at 1:39 PM..
Old 02-29-2020, 1:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Walmart and other retailers have some dumb policy on selling pellets from the website

Not a law- just bad corporate policy

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 02-29-2020, 8:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
Technically David Killed the Giant Goliath with a Shepard's Sling,,, Not a "Slingshot" as they didn't have rubber bands back then. He also used a Golf Ball sized rock and got good at it because when you are herding Goats you have alot of time on your hands to practice. And a Sling requires literally years of practice to become proficient with.

I have played with them in the past and could never even get the rock to go in the general direction of the target. Like within 90 degrees of it. Not once ever!

What he did was quite a feat!

On another note: I watched a show on the History Channel about Giants. All supposedly sired from Alien DNA. Goliath was around 9 feet tall. They showed the skeleton of a guy found in China that was 19 feet tall!!!

Now that is one big SOA! (Son of an Alien!) His Forehead was also bashed in by a big rock, so it appears that the sling was the goto weapon of choice for dealing with Big MOFO's .

Randy
Did David kill Goliath with a slingshot or with the latter's sword?
Old 03-09-2020, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

There are some “air rifles” that surpass conventional rifles in caliber, performance and accuracy so don’t be surprised if they all are grouped in at some point.
Old 03-09-2020, 2:29 PM

https://wildlife.ca.gov/Hunting/Nonl...ammunition-ban
Go to this link and on the page it has a ? that asks are pellet rifles included? Click on it and the answer is no! They are not considered firearms.
Old 03-09-2020, 3:31 PM

The answer is....some on here will not believe anything, so why keep a dead thread going?
Old 03-10-2020, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
Here is the definition of ammunition from the penal code.

16150. (a) As used in this part, except in subdivision (a) of Section 30305 and in Section 30306, “ammunition” means one or more loaded cartridges consisting of a primed case, propellant, and with one or more projectiles. “Ammunition” does not include blanks.
(b) As used in subdivision (a) of Section 30305 and in Section 30306, “ammunition” includes, but is not limited to, any bullet, cartridge, magazine, clip, speed loader, autoloader, or projectile capable of being fired from a firearm with a deadly consequence. “Ammunition” does not include blanks.
(c) This section shall remain in effect only until July 1, 2020, and as of that date is repealed.

When this goes out in July it is replaced by a new definition that says the exact same thing.
And note that (b) applies only to the listed sections Section 30305 and Section 30306, essentially governing 'prohibited persons'.

The definition in (a) applies everywhere else in the Control of Deadly Weapons Laws
Quote:
Penal Code - PEN
PART 6. CONTROL OF DEADLY WEAPONS [16000 - 34370]
(unless the Legislature in its comprehensive wisdom has created another definition 'local' to a section; I don't think they have, but ...)

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.